IGNORED

NES Emulator

DominiRican05

Hi there!

Hands down, the most accurate NES emulator is Nintendulator.

Doesn't pass the Sonson test either... :P

So far only Nestopia will play it properly :thumbsup:

(meanwhile I have 6 NES emulators tested)

Greetings,

Manuel

955330[/snapback]

How does it emulate Sonson incorrectly? Have you compared the emulation side-by-side with a real NES? If there is a problem with the emulation, then please, submit a bug report. The Nintendulator author prides himself on the accuracy of his emulator.

Hi there!

That's part of what I mean. There are so many good NES emulators out there that talking about accuracy is like splitting hairs. Nestopia, VirtuaNES, RockNES, etc. are all very accurate. Majority of people can't tell the difference anyway (I sure can't).

Just download all three and see for yourself which'll play Sonson properly ;)

Greetings,

Manuel

I have thank you very much. How many have you played outside your personal favorite? :twisted: Most people don't care about accuracy or if emu X can play "insert rare-or-crappy-game-nobody-plays". With so many NES emus out there that play pretty much everything people are interested in, the whole accuracy point is moot IMO.

Edited by Dones

Hi there!

Hands down, the most accurate NES emulator is Nintendulator.
Doesn't pass the Sonson test either... :P

How does it emulate Sonson incorrectly? Have you compared the emulation side-by-side with a real NES?

Actually that's not required, the graphics glitches are pretty obvious. Just boot up the game, start a round and have a look at the flickering mess in the middle section of the screen.

Greetings,

Manuel

Hi there!

That's part of what I mean. There are so many good NES emulators out there that talking about accuracy is like splitting hairs. Nestopia, VirtuaNES, RockNES, etc. are all very accurate. Majority of people can't tell the difference anyway (I sure can't).
Just download all three and see for yourself which'll play Sonson properly ;)
I have thank you very much. How many have you played outside your personal favorite? :twisted:

I didn't have to. It's already been the second game I tried, so it's my prove that Nestopia is more accurate than the two emulators you mentioned.

Most people don't care about accuracy or if emu X can play "insert rare-or-crappy-game-nobody-plays".

That's just the point actually. The common-games-everyone-plays are the ones I can play on a real NES, no need for an emulator here. Also I sort of expect a *good* NES emulator to play the standards. What separates the "best" emulators from the "good" ones, is that they play *all* games, thus not emulating the NES just good enough to play some games, but emulating the hardware 1:1 to the real thing. An emulator that doesn't try to achieve perfection in emulation, just doesn't make any sense at all.

With so many NES emus out there that play pretty much everything people are interested in, the whole accuracy point is moot IMO.

Your opinion yes, and I don't agree at all. :P

Greetings,

Manuel

Accuracy of emulation is the most important part of an emulator. Just because you only appreciate a few stereotypical NES games, does not mean that crappy emulation isn't a problem. It is just not a problem for you. Whenever people ask for "the best" NES emulator, you will always hear, at least, the following 3 emulators:

1. FCE Ultra

2. Nintendulator

3. Nestopia

Why? Because they are the most accurate NES emulators. You don't have to worry about playing a game for hours only to have everything glitch out when you are fighting the end boss... because your emulator happens to not correctly emulate the NES hardware or the game's cartridge circuit board. To further prove that you are wrong with your claim that emulation accuracy is mute, just look at the state of NES emulation and development. The developers are constantly striving to improve the accuracy of their emulators. So the developers would disagree with you and many gamers would disagree with you.

For some reason, some people take it personally when somebody points out that their emulator has game incompatibilities, inaccurate audio, inaccurate video, etc. This is stupid. Yes high accuracy means higher system requirements, but most modern PCs have no problems with one of the 3 aforementioned emulators.

Actually, for true accuracy, you should only consider Nestopia and Nintendulator. Both these emulators are 99.5% accurate with commercial, non-pirate NES (NTSC and PAL) and Famicom games. I know only of a few games that show slight glitches, but do not affect playability or are annoying enough to not play them.

I didn't have to. It's already been the second game I tried, so it's my prove that Nestopia is more accurate than the two emulators you mentioned.

How do you know that is true when you yourself admit to haven't even tried anything else? :ponder: I have tested many NES emulators and most of them are pretty good. Actually I have a found a couple of good ones outside my personal fav.

Nestopia is pretty good, but there are others that are as good and maybe even better. You should follow your own advice and try other NES emulators out there. You will be pleased to see many of them will meet your stringent standards.

Your opinion yes, and I don't agree at all.

I don't agree with yours either. We can split hairs for as long as you like, but the truth is there are so many good NES emulators out there that accuracy has become a moot point (because most of them have very good accuracy among other things). Accuracy isn't the only important thing. It might be important to you but most users don't care about that stuff.

Just because you only appreciate a few stereotypical NES games, does not mean that crappy emulation isn't a problem.

:lol: like if you are above it and don't play the popular games. I'll bet you are going to reply you have never thought of firing up Mario, Zelda or Excitebike on a NES emu and actually spend your time worrying about the "accuracy" of a rare NES game. That is so much crap and you know it. :lol:

Edited by Dones

I still like Nesticle. The trend nowadays is for very slow and accurate emulation, and certainly that has it's place, but I appreciate an emulator that was written when classic Pentiums were the norm, and processor speed couldn't be taken for granted. My sister still has a P133 laptop, and Nesticle is the only option for playing NES games on that machine. It's just too bad it won't run under NT.

I prefer Nester and FCE Ultra though, and use those emulators on everything else. I don't keep up with the latest computers anymore, so the high-CPU emulators don't appeal to me. There are several 400-550MHz machines in my family, including my own desktop.

Actually that's not required, the graphics glitches are pretty obvious. Just boot up the game, start a round and have a look at the flickering mess in the middle section of the screen.

OK, I figured out what your problem was with SonSon, and it has nothing to do with Nintendulator. Your ROM is bad, or more specifically, you ROM's header is bad as it has mirroring set to horizontal, which is incorrect. Note that GoodNES does not check to make sure that your ROM's header is correct. Here is a thread that I started over at NES Dev, where the author of Nintendulator himself remarked on the header being the problem:

http://nesdev.parodius.com/bbs/viewtopic.p...der=asc&start=0

Note that if you fix the header by setting it to vertical mirroring, then the game is emulated perfectly. The state of emulation has changed to the point where problems are almost always due to a bad ROM or bad ROM header, as opposed to the old days, when it was bugs in emulation, lack of mapper support, or some other emulation inaccuracies.

The reason why Nestopia plays it correctly is because it notices the error in the header and automatically corrects it by comparing it to an internal ROM database built-into Nestopia. Note that if Nestopia does not have an entry in its database for a certain game, it will be forced to rely on the ROM's header. So it is ideal to fix a header when it is bad, as opposed to relying on an emulator's built-in database, as many emulators lack such a database, and those that include such a database have an incomplete database.

The best solution would be to create a new database to replace GoodNES. This database would check not just the ROM but also its header. Until then, you will have to manually fix the header.

Hi there!

Until then, you will have to manually fix the header.

Wow, cool! That worked! Now it even runs on Nesticle :D

Greetings,

Manuel

956819[/snapback]

Yeah, that is what confused me, as SonSon is not known to be a difficult game to emulate. If you want an example of a game that only runs correctly in Nintendulator, try Micromachines. Of course, there are many other games that only run in Nintendulator, simply because only Nintendulator supports that specific mapper/cart type. This typically applies to many of the pirates that are still being dumped for the first time today.

If you want an example of a game that only runs correctly in Nintendulator, try Micromachines.

I haven't played this game for years, but the newest version of Nestopia seems to display everything perfectly. Could someone confirm this?

I don't mean to be argumentative, just surprised as I haven't noticed any issues with latest Nestopia builds.

Regards.

Nestopia can also play Micro Machines perfectly. But on the mapper issue, for years I thought that Mach Rider was difficult to emulate because the track would always appear to be duplicated on the screen. Only Nestopia played it correctly. Then one day I changed the header and it worked perfectly on just about everything.

For the people who complain about slow and accurate emulation, get a faster computer. I had a P3 800 and Nintendulator wouldn't run very well without a generous frameskip. Now I have an Athlon FX-55 and have no further trouble.

Nestopia can also play Micro Machines perfectly.  But on the mapper issue, for years I thought that Mach Rider was difficult to emulate because the track would always appear to be duplicated on the screen.  Only Nestopia played it correctly.  Then one day I changed the header and it worked perfectly on just about everything. 

For the people who complain about slow and accurate emulation, get a faster computer.  I had a P3 800 and Nintendulator wouldn't run very well without a generous frameskip.  Now I have an Athlon FX-55 and have no further trouble.

957530[/snapback]

The original Xbox got a port of FCE Ultra, so maybe the Xbox 360 could get a port of Nintendulator? Then if people complain about high system requirements for their emulator, they can just get a 360 instead.

The original Xbox got a port of FCE Ultra, so maybe the Xbox 360 could get a port of Nintendulator?  Then if people complain about high system requirements for their emulator, they can just get a 360 instead.

957831[/snapback]

Well, the Xbox 360 uses a PowerPC architecture and I believe Nintendulator is x86 only.

I don't see a port being so simple if this is true.

However, there is a port of Nestopia for PowerPC macs, so there's a chance *that* program would get ported.

The original Xbox got a port of FCE Ultra, so maybe the Xbox 360 could get a port of Nintendulator?  Then if people complain about high system requirements for their emulator, they can just get a 360 instead.

957831[/snapback]

Well, the Xbox 360 uses a PowerPC architecture and I believe Nintendulator is x86 only.

I don't see a port being so simple if this is true.

However, there is a port of Nestopia for PowerPC macs, so there's a chance *that* program would get ported.

957887[/snapback]

Is Nintendulator that tied down to x86? Either way, it would be nice to see one of the two accurate NES emulators ported to one of the next-gen consoles, as the next-gen consoles are fast enough to run them at full speed. I guess we will have to wait for unofficial dev kits to leak. I have always recommended FCE Ultra in addition to Nintendulator and Nestopia because FCE Ultra runs on just about every platform: Windows, Linux, Mac, and Xbox. It also runs on lower end hardware. Sure it isn't as accurate as the other two, but for Linux and Xbox owners, it is the best choice.

Edited by Jagasian