IGNORED

New Adventure II 5200 demo

Cafeman

could be that someone mentioned it already before...

- gfx glitches / flickering when dragon + enemy hunt player.

- colours when switching from one screen to another... the colours are set to early or too late. can not remember. so you see the old screen + new colours or the new screen with old colours.

- no music soundtrack... (it does not need a soundtrack but what about some ambient sound? birds, winds, seeshore, etc...)

i personal would try to avoid that the player sprite is reaching the screen boundary and it's still visible when the new screen is "build up"... i would do something like a quick fade out of the old screen (+ player sprite), depack the new screen and then fade in...

but thumbs up! very good game at all!!! keep on going.

Odd, I tried that. Let me try a PS/2 keyboard instead of this  USB contraption...nope.

Maybe I should unplug the Stelladaptors? Hrm, nope.

It's very weird. I can use "Start" (F2), "Pause" (P), "Reset" (F5), and the 5 key to zip home*, but I can't budge Mr. Square one pixel.

* by which I mean "pop out of dragon's stomach," since I never really move anywhere

Are the keyboard settings correct? I think there are options such as (1) Control + Arrow Keys, or (2) just use the arrow keys which is what you want.

Also, I have the CaptureMouse set to true (gets rid of the pointer).

Once you get it to work, it'll work every time. Keep trying, there aren't all that many tabs to go through, you'll figure it out.

A quick update about the game & next demo -- I didn't get very far over the weekend. Not worth posting a demo yet, I'll do another as soon as I can.

Heaven, concerning sounds & music, it won't have a constant musical score but there will be two-tone melodies and ditties for accomplishements. There are also mood/suspense sounds. The keys will make a different tone when picking them up, the dragon sounds will change, the minotaur will have either a roar or ominous musical phrase (I'm still experimenting), and I want to put a quiet wind sound here & there. I'm using 2 channels for creature & item sound FX, and the other 2 sound channels for musical phrases / mood sound FX. More to come.

Thanks for the constructive criticism, all.

Adventure II can now be pre-ordered in the AtariAge Store:

http://www.atariage.com/store/product_info...products_id=334

We anticipate being able to ship Adventure II by the end of the month, but make no guarantees since we won't rush the game before it's ready. But we did want to let people order the game now to take advantage of the Holiday Sale, since we do anticipate the game's release soon. :)

..Al

I finally got the Atari800Win Plus 4.0 emulator to accept my keystrokes. I'm not really sure how!

Anyway, I now have solved the demo and I have a flurry of glitches and suggestions to report!

* After you get killed by a dragon, if you push 5 very fast, you will have the same "adrenaline rush" that you get after killing a dragon or encountering the troll

* Castle gates don't open to show "unlocked" status like in the first game - any reason?

* I hit "5" but I kept my sword - is that supposed to happen?

* The troll seems to throw the item randomly out into the map, rather than taking it somewhere and dropping it like the bat did. In the original game it seemed like all the creatures had to traverse the map the same way you did. This doesn't seem to be the case in Adventure II - they just appear and disappear in arbitrary places, making them seem a little less real to me.

* On a similar note, the troll appears and disappears in his napping spot without going through the waking/snoozing animation shown on the website - I even saw the "snoozing troll" vanish suddenly and then reappear in the middle of the river! Could the troll be made to avoid standing on water and/or the sky/ramparts (on castle screens)? Using bats and potentially-flying-dragons exempted Warren Robinett from this problem, I guess!

* It would be neat if the leg-using troll and minotaur would step up over obstacles (a bump up as they enter, then a bump down as they exit the mask region). That would show they were really in the room with you in a tangible way. Also, neither the minotaur nor the troll really seems to know you're there. The troll kind of strafes you sometimes, but the minotaur doesn't acknowledge your presence at all.

* Minotaur looks to be ice skating? The troll's shuffle is cool, but the Minotaur's movement seems unrealistic. Shouldn't he be pounding the ground? It would also be more interesting if, when you reached a certain proximity to the minotaur, he looked your way, and then, if you got closer, he turned and went after you. Finally, rather than appearing outside the maze immediately when the minotaur gets you, it would be more consistent with the old game if you "flew" over the maze on your way out, as when the bat picked up the dragon that had eaten you in the old game. This would make it clear that the minotaur was throwing you. Right now it almost seems like a glitch - you're "reset" to a previous location, wondering "what happened?"

* "Picked up something" sound occurs sometimes when you're already carrying something - especially when you bump into a wall. I'm assuming you're crashing into the object you're carrying. I remember this kind of thing happening with multiple objects in the old game; you could shove a pile of items around that way if you were careful, but I don't remember it happening when you only had one item.

* Dragons are all over the place - I was standing around in the green castle with my sword and slaughtering them one by one as they came to the same room, creating a flickering pile of corpses! I do really like their movement, though - they seem much smarter than the original game's dragons, and are quite a bit harder to kill, though the different behaviors (especially the "afraid of yellow" rule) made it take longer to kill them all in the first game - they all seem pretty much the same now. Anyway, the decision to appear at all seems unbalanced. I even had a screen with the minotaur, troll, and dragon appearing, if not at the same time, then in a swarm of busy comings and goings. Seems unstructured. Maybe that's just the demo version?

* Pick up and put down sounds seem not as "snappy" as the originals. Maybe shorter tones? Could just be the emulator?

* Dragons don't follow you as well as in the original game. When you cross from one screen to another, you almost always lose them. This may have to do with the lack of map traversal (see Troll)?

I know some of these seem overly critical of fine points, but these are my reactions, take 'em or leave 'em, I won't be offended. I'm totally, unabashedly unfamiliar with the 5200 and its limitations. =) I really hope you're not offended, either, because this game feels so much like a sequel in so many ways, and I'm really excited to get my copy - though I'm also perfectly willing to wait until 2007 to get it, if you want to take the time!

Also: the key was stuck on the far side of some vertical logs, so I applied the bridge from the screen above to get there (see screenshot). When I got to the other side, I was stuck in a shrub, and the bridge was not to be seen, so I had no way back. I tried again, putting the bridge further through the wall, but this still happened.

post-5114-1134226520_thumb.png

What Jacob is saying about the objects getting placed in impossible to reach spots is exactly what I was talking about. We need another magnet like device in this game. When the object get placed in regions like this, or the scenario with the red castle key I spoke of getting placed in the far right brickwork of the castle on the rampart section between the green hedge maze castle and the winter kingdom. After playing the game for nearly an hour to get to that point, I was too frustrated to think about a complete reset.

I haven't examined all the maps in detail, but would it be possible to have the object reset to the center of the screen they are on? On most maps this would place the objects back where you can get them. Only immediate exceptions I can think on this might be the rampart screens, and areas with water and islands.

I also noticed the other glitches mentioned above and had meant to bring up the castle gates not opening. As for the troll...I have seen him walking on a screen and then I would immediately go to the bridge and see him sleeping? How did he get there without me seeing him? And just as stated, when he wakes up, he simply disappears to another part of the game.

I still experience the glitch with the dragon's roar not always sounding when he opens his mouth. This seems to happen most often when I'm carrying an object.

And I still say we should have the same freedom of movement in the hedge maze as we do in the winter and shadow kingdoms. plus make the small waving shrubs like in the above screens be passable.

What Jacob is saying about the objects getting placed in impossible to reach spots is exactly what I was talking about. We need another magnet like device in this game. When the object get placed in regions like this, or the scenario with the red castle key I spoke of getting placed in the far right brickwork of the castle on the rampart section between the green hedge maze castle and the winter kingdom. After playing the game for nearly an hour to get to that point, I was too frustrated to think about a complete reset.

980057[/snapback]

Yep. There were a few balancing mechanisms in the original - the bat would almost always continue to carry the object around that he had stolen from you, so you could nab him the next time he came around, most times. Sometimes, of course, he stole the bridge you'd used to get where you were, and then you'd have to reset, but you'd still be able to get it back. Then there were the magnet and the bridge.

Maybe Adventure II could let you rotate the bridge 90 degrees? There are those extra buttons on the 5200, but just rotating it every time it's picked up would work.

I still experience the glitch with the dragon's roar not always sounding when he opens his mouth. This seems to happen most often when I'm carrying an object.

980057[/snapback]

Yes! I noticed that too. I think it was when I was in the maze, zipping around a corner into a room with a dragon. I don't think I was carrying anything, though.

Found another one:

I was trying to retireve the bridge, which was stuck in a wall, when a dragon came on screen and everything started flickering. When I touched the bridge, the game made the "bloo-eep" pick-up noise, and the *sword* started following me around, even though it was inches away. It's kind of funny, since I remember this happening in the original game in some circumstances, but I thought you should know.

Then, when I tried to reproduce the problem, an even stranger thing happened: the troll came by and stole the sword, and the graphic for the bridge was written into the sword's scanlines (see attached).

post-5114-1134248757_thumb.png

All other objects that are holdable also got a bridge image or other strangeness attached to them. One image moves vertically with the player until it reaches the top or bottom of the screen, while the other one remains stuck to the top or bottom of the screen. The characters seem to flicker more, too - even when it was just me, the sword (with sword-colored bridge fragment hovering in top margin) and the dragon, everything flickered, which also made the dragon very hard to kill (the sword would just go through him).

post-5114-1134249118_thumb.png

post-5114-1134249128_thumb.png

*faints*

Thanks for the efforts in playing through and finding these things. Please remember what you reported, and in the next demo see if it was resolved.

About items getting placed where you cannot get them, two points of interest:

1. The Troll Placement places aren't random. They are in a table, and I hand-pick 'safe' places. However, in changing certain screen numbers, the table is now out of sync with the actual map at times. It'll be fixed before the game is released.

2. Jacob, you hit the nail on the head concerning turning the bridge 90 degrees -- you will have that ability by pressing the top fire button. You will also be able switch the sword's directions left to right with a top fire button press.

About the minotaur -- his animation is hilarious if I put it in reverse ... moon-walking! ;) I'll work on that as well as the troll disappearing after his nap.. oh, and in this demo, you are correct that the minotaur is oblivious to your presence. That won't be the case all the time.

Back to work I go...

Some of you will be happy to hear that we were successful in opening up the hedge maze screens -- you can go anywhere on the green now, only stopped by the black hedge borders, and it works well. Troll just found some new hiding spots! I also speeded up the default speed of the square , which I've felt needed to be done for a while now.

Back to work I go.

post-37-1134526425_thumb.jpg

Edited by Cafeman

Excellent news Ron! I'm telling you it really needed to be done. (Opening up the hedge area more...). And the explorer part of me will like checking out the new more open hedge.

Now when is the next demo coming for us to test?!...hehe..

I hit the guy that resets you back to the bridge while going thru the hedge maze and it reset me to where I was stuck, see the picture. I had killed 2 dragons and wasn't carrying anything (on game 1) when it happened.

Still playing it, and loving it. :) I have gotten the challice back on game 1 so far, but not 2.

post-3803-1134535361_thumb.jpg

Hopefully the green sections of that screen allow travel as well. If so, then you getting stuck there...isn't possible anymore. But, if the color Blk is the no passing zone, then BLk needs to be added to the edges of the water to prevent us from taking a swim.

Though you have to admit...if we could take a swim where could we travel to next?!...hehe....

Is that on a TV screen?

That surprises me , but now that green is traversable, its a non-issue.

Now that you can approach the water through the grass on the troll bridge screen, it kind of reminds me of something I wanted to do originally .. hmmm ... ;)

Next demo probably due -- maybe next Monday night or so?