IGNORED

New Adventure II 5200 demo

Cafeman

I was already charged and had the money taken out of my paypal account (Which I don't agree with since we still don't know when/if the game will be shipped).

1014278[/snapback]

Truthfully that part doesnt bother me much. Now that there has been an update and some attention brought to the situation (as well as a nice long informative email from the AA store/Al) I'm happy. :D

I was already charged and had the money taken out of my paypal account (Which I don't agree with since we still don't know when/if the game will be shipped).

1014278[/snapback]

That's just the way that paypal works. Albert doesn't have any control over it. I'm sure the gaem will be ready soon. I would imagine that this will be the biggest homebrew release ever.

1014278[/snapback]

Yeah, I'm not crazy about that either when the shipping time for a game extends beyond what is originally anticipated. But it does allow us to gauge exactly how many games we need to build to meet the initial demand and to get the games out to everyone who pre-ordered as soon as the game is done. In the case of Adventure II, I think the wait will very much be worth it, as much care is being taken in the game's production. :)

..Al

I don't mind paying ahead of time. I'd just prefer to do it when a more firm release date is known. Would prefer to not have my money hanging out in limbo for an indefinite time since I generally don't have much extra money to spare.

And I do plan on preordering it as soon as a more definite release date is known.

Edited by Phineasfool

I don't mind paying ahead of time. I'd just prefer to do it when a more firm release date is known. Would prefer to not have my money hanging out in limbo for an indefinite time since I generally don't have much extra money to spare.

And I do plan on preordering it as soon as a more definite release date is known.

1014592[/snapback]

There will be plenty of copies to go around, so you don't need to worry about not getting one, even if you don't pre-order it. :)

..Al

1014592[/snapback]

There will be plenty of copies to go around, so you don't need to worry about not getting one, even if you don't pre-order it. :)

..Al

1014600[/snapback]

Good to hear. I definitely don't want to miss out on this one.

Maybe this has been asked already but.. Will there be a commercial A8 release for this?

1014606[/snapback]

It's possible, but no guarantees right now. The game would have to be modified to use bankswitching, probably using Bryan Edewaard's spiffy bankswitch 8-bit board (the same one he used for Castle Crisis). We'd have to modify the label and manual as well, although that wouldn't be too bad (we did that for Beef Drop). Not sure about the box, though, since it's a 5200-style box (although blue), with many references to the 5200 on it. So it'd probably be sold without a box, but with a similar label and manual.

But again, nothing certain until the 5200 version is done.

..Al

Maybe this has been asked already but.. Will there be a commercial A8 release for this?

1014606[/snapback]

It's possible, but no guarantees right now. The game would have to be modified to use bankswitching, probably using Bryan Edewaard's spiffy bankswitch 8-bit board (the same one he used for Castle Crisis). We'd have to modify the label and manual as well, although that wouldn't be too bad (we did that for Beef Drop). Not sure about the box, though, since it's a 5200-style box (although blue), with many references to the 5200 on it. So it'd probably be sold without a box, but with a similar label and manual.

But again, nothing certain until the 5200 version is done.

..Al

1014610[/snapback]

Would the control schemes also have to be adapted?

the control scheme is easy stuff.

Fitting a tightly packed 32K cart into two 16K banks is ... impossible. But using the Castle Crisis board, it's reported to be much easier. Once I get 5200 Adv II done, I will then start to look into what I gotta do for an 8-bit port. But I don't know how hard/expensive it is to build those boards, and I'm not sure of the programming changes either -- but it's been done before, so it is indeed possible and not as painful as a twin 16K bankswitching scheme.

That green dragon female?! The red one is totally getting off on looking up it's rear end.

Looks like it says "LAMEPLAY" even though I know what it says. Needs a better G.

Great job! I love the cover art.

Here are some images of the cover and two interior pages of the Adventure II manual Dave Exton created.  :)

adventure2_manual_1.jpg

adventure2_manual_2.jpg

Enjoy!

..Al

1013867[/snapback]

Looks like he's about to get some back door loving. Get her tiger...

That green dragon female?! The red one is totally getting off on looking up it's rear end.

Looks like it says "LAMEPLAY" even though I know what it says. Needs a better G.

Great job! I love the cover art.

Here are some images of the cover and two interior pages of the Adventure II manual Dave Exton created.  :)

adventure2_manual_1.jpg

adventure2_manual_2.jpg

Enjoy!

..Al

1013867[/snapback]

1014895[/snapback]

The Square = Player 0.

Dragon (live or dead, in fact all the creatures) = Player2+3.

That leaves Player1 to alternate showing the 2 items.

However, when there is no creature on the screen, items can be implemented by Player1, 2, and 3.

Missiles are the handle of the sword, the edge of the bridge, and the feet of a sleeping Troll.

Cafeman... I can't believe how much of a bad time you're getting from some of the members here, despite your efforts.

I just want to let you know... as soon as I get $50 of discretionary income available, I'll be picking up a copy of Adventure II, and I'm glad guys like you are still writing quality games for such a classic console. And I appreciate the demo. :)

The Square = Player 0.

Dragon (live or dead, in fact all the creatures) = Player2+3.

That leaves Player1 to alternate showing the 2 items.

However, when there is no creature on the screen, items can be implemented by Player1, 2, and 3.

Missiles are the handle of the sword, the edge of the bridge, and the feet of a sleeping Troll.

1015416[/snapback]

I know that if it's Adventure, flicker is to be expected, but did you think at all about intelligent sprite reuse using DLIs?

Unless all those sprites are lined up on the same scanline you shouldn't have to flicker them.

I know that if it's Adventure, flicker is to be expected, but did you think at all about intelligent sprite reuse using DLIs?

Unless all those sprites are lined up on the same scanline you shouldn't have to flicker them.

1015453[/snapback]

Come on, man! What´s with the negative inquisitory tone of voice?

How about we DON´T discourage people who actually do some labor of love for the old systems from posting progress reports here?

There´s a fine line between constructive feedback and criticism.

I tested the new demo out for 10-15 minutes or so last night - it seems much more solid all around.

Some troll-related quirks I noticed:

1) The troll leaves "nap mode" by getting up and moving *up*, which is an axis he barely moves in otherwise, and then, despite the fact that he just left at the top of the screen, he may immediately re-appear from the righthand side. Could he be made to "wake up" and spring into action, going about his usual left-right motion (maybe even beelining straight for the player) instead of going up?

2) The troll returns to "nap mode" without a similar animation - he just stops running around and zaps back to the nap spot, which looks odd if you're on the bridge screen when it happens. Could he be made to home in on the nap spot the same way he homes in on The Square?

3) The troll doesn't actually go where he drops off the object he steals. In one case he took the sword I was about to grab, left going upwards off the top of the screen, and the sword appeared out of nowhere at the bottom of the same screen, like the troll had found a transporter and beamed it there :).

I guess the reason the troll's quirks bother me is that this *is* Adventure. Not just in name, but you've done a fantastic job of enhancing the original into a sequel, so it really seems like Adventure. The troll's movement seems out of place in such an otherwise faithful continuation. In the 2600 original, the bat moved through the space just like you did (or at least, I never noticed any inconsistencies with that premise; I haven't actually verified that in the disassembly). For the troll to move around or deposit objects in a way that implies he's "warping" from place to place breaks the sense of continuity. If it takes only a short time for the object to be deposited somewhere before I see the troll again, then the object should be nearby; if it's far away, then it should have taken a long time for the troll to go there before he bothers me again.

Other problems:

1) I repeatedly "picked up nothing" - the "picked up something" noise sounded when walking into many rooms where there wasn't anything to pick up, even when I was already carrying something (which wasn't dropped when this happened, so this isn't consistent with the invisible dot from Adv. I).

2) Weird sky effects around the green castle (looked sort of inverted, I'll try to get a screenshot).

3) I also noticed the "hoarse dragon" problem again - I walked onto a maze screen with a dragon, who immediately roared (may even have been already-roaring when I arrived?) - silently. His mouth opened, but "nothing came out". All dragon behaviors were spot-on otherwise - perfect!

It was really cool to do more exploring (finally found the enchanted forest - the long shadows and twisted trees are spooky!). I like the new "rotate" button, that's definitely a help in retrieving lost items! I also stumbled on the "cycle player icon" button. I still prefer being the square. :)

Edited by Jacob Rose

1) I repeatedly "picked up nothing" - the "picked up something" noise sounded when walking into many rooms where there wasn't anything to pick up, even when I was already carrying something (which wasn't dropped when this happened, so this isn't consistent with the invisible dot from Adv. I).

I've encountred this problem... but haven't tested much beyond that... my emulators aren't running very well lately.

And I *hate* the Troll. I'm not sure if it is the inconsistency of how he moves and drops stuff, or how persistent he is... but he really makes the bat seem like a minor nusiance in comparisson. It honestly detracts from the game to me. I don't mind occasionally losing an item and having to go searching it out. It just seems like it happens far too often in Adventure II. Maybe it really is just a case of being unfamiliar with the maps and not putting hour upon hour of constant playing into the game like I did with the original. But... I can say that fear of the troll ruining the game is my biggest concern about actually buying the cart.