IGNORED

New Adventure II 5200 demo

Cafeman

atari000.png

atari001.png

atari002.png

The bridge disappears here because of flicker. I killed the dragon here to chase away the damn troll while I took the screen shots.

atari003.png

And here... the sword is really there, too... again, there is just flicker from having the dragon, bridge and sword all on the same screen at the same time.

atari004.png

remember, patience is a virtue! I'm trying to find time in each day to button up the game. Latest addition: freeing up rom to fit a few alternate icons & different sounds!

1001436[/snapback]

You're not making him a knight, are you? I think he should remain a square, actually.

And... this knight seems... er... anatomically correct... and happy to see the red dragon, too. :)

I was being chased by the green dragon, came to the bridge screen, and suddenly an ALL GREEN troll came running across the screen horizontally and ate me... then TURNED into the green dragon (who was at the top of the screen before I was eaten).

1005965[/snapback]

This is the same problem I wrote about in my post, so I'm glad it's repeatable. Was the dragon below you, and the troll above?

I was being chased by the green dragon, came to the bridge screen, and suddenly an ALL GREEN troll came running across the screen horizontally and ate me... then TURNED into the green dragon (who was at the top of the screen before I was eaten).

1005965[/snapback]

This is the same problem I wrote about in my post, so I'm glad it's repeatable. Was the dragon below you, and the troll above?

1006032[/snapback]

No... in my case, I was running from the dragon in the hedge maze back into the wooded area... the dragon was on the top of the screen, the troll came in from the lower bottom side of the screen...

This thread is huge. I thought I had read the whole way through... but I must have missed your issue.

remember, patience is a virtue! I'm trying to find time in each day to button up the game. Latest addition: freeing up rom to fit a few alternate icons & different sounds!

1001436[/snapback]

You're not making him a knight, are you? I think he should remain a square, actually.

And... this knight seems... er... anatomically correct... and happy to see the red dragon, too. :)

1006018[/snapback]

There has been a lot of discussion of the square!

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...p=666&hl=square

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...c=102&hl=square

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...11681&hl=square

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...99471&hl=square

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...73999&hl=square

It was even the subject of a contest...

http://cafeman.www9.50megs.com/atari/5200d...Finalists2.html

And had relevance in the rankings you can achieve in completing the game (my favorite of which is three down from "Duck Food" :) )...

http://cafeman.www9.50megs.com/atari/5200d...tFinalists.html

I thought Cafeman said something to the effect that it was amazing that the square had such a dedicated following, but I can't find that quote anywhere.

I really love the game label art (shown on the Adventure II page), which has Mr. Square sweating and fretting under the nasty gnashing nosher of a decidedly non-duck-like dragon.

Anyway, I don't think you have anything to fear about losing the square player icon. :)

Edited by Jacob Rose

Well... I'm Johnny Come Lately around here. But I think I'm catching up quick. :)

Interesting reading... Yeah. I saw him saying that he had wanted to redo the square to take advantage of the improved graphics.

The thing is that... there have been a thousand games *since* with little animated knights... each one taking more and more AWAY from the imagination of the world of Adventure and it's arrow wielding square charging an angry duck. Redoing it WITHOUT including the square kind of becomes redundant. But of course... this is a horse that obviously has been well beat at this point.

Or else make this an "Easter Egg". Some folks want the square for nostalgia.

1008962[/snapback]

If I understand correctly, Ron's keeping the square as the main character, but Adventure II will also have alternate icons available -- if you unlock them by playing far enough into the game.

Hurry up and finish this damn game! I preordered it back in Dec. with my holiday cart and another game with hopes it'd be ready late December... I guess I'll be playing my holiday cart in March :( Game does look nice though... but you should give more updates :(

1012979[/snapback]

*sigh*

Agreed. This is getting a bit much waiting. How was it supposed to be ready in late December and here we are in February and no game?

I pre-ordered it as well but I am willing to wait. I too am waiting for other games but I would rather wait and have a complete and bug free version that to have it rushed. Al provides a great site here and I have no problems waiting. Cafeman does great work. It might be frustrating having to wait but in the end I have a feeling that it will be worth the wait.

I just preordered it figuring I would have had it early January... I agree I'd love a flawless complete game but I wouldn't have pre-ordered it if I knew I would have had to wait 2 months instead of one and would have just purchased other homebrews and had them for Christmas instead and purchased Adventure II when it came out. My 5200 controller is probably dead from not using it in the 2 months I have been waiting hahaha.

I pre-ordered it as well but I am willing to wait.  I too am waiting for other games but I would rather wait and have a complete and bug free version that to have it rushed.  Al provides a great site here and I have no problems waiting.  Cafeman does great work.  It might be frustrating having to wait but in the end I have a feeling that it will be worth the wait.

1013004[/snapback]

Nobody said Al ran a poor site, or that Cafeman did shoddy work. :?

I can't see though how it could be rushed when it was supposed to have been done over a month ago is all.

Hurry up and finish this damn game! I preordered it back in Dec. with my holiday cart and another game with hopes it'd be ready late December...

Me, too. It looked like it would be done in Dec or mid-January to me. I was wrong. I suppose an update is in order:

Al wanted to include Adventure II as part of the December sale when I told him it'd be done by Dec 31 or very shortly afterwards. So don't blame him. I did button up lots of stuff in this time, UNTIL ...

... I ran out of ROM space too early. So I spent the first half of January re-writing and reclaiming ROM. Then I spent much of the rest of the month -- what free time I had, that is, which isn't every day by any means -- hunting down glitches, tweaking and messing. Plus talking with Albert and Dave Exton about the manual art and layout.

So again, sorry you guys pre-ordered and you have to wait. Try to remember, it's still a homebrew ... I am at the mercy of my real world schedule which I can't always control, but I don't think you'll be disappointed in the final product. I've got multiple mazes in the game now selectable from a refined title screen, alternate icons that you must find, revised maze screens, the hedge maze allows you to travel on the green part, the bridge and sword can be manipulated by a top fire button press (sword points left or right, bridge is either normal or a sideways bridge), and other tweaks. The Troll is less bothersome than before and you move a bit faster.

The cake is done, now I'm icing it. A bit more time is needed.

Hurry up and finish this damn game! I preordered it back in Dec. with my holiday cart and another game with hopes it'd be ready late December...

Me, too. It looked like it would be done in Dec or mid-January to me. I was wrong. I suppose an update is in order:

Al wanted to include Adventure II as part of the December sale when I told him it'd be done by Dec 31 or very shortly afterwards. So don't blame him. I did button up lots of stuff in this time, UNTIL ...

... I ran out of ROM space too early. So I spent the first half of January re-writing and reclaiming ROM. Then I spent much of the rest of the month -- what free time I had, that is, which isn't every day by any means -- hunting down glitches, tweaking and messing. Plus talking with Albert and Dave Exton about the manual art and layout.

So again, sorry you guys pre-ordered and you have to wait. Try to remember, it's still a homebrew ... I am at the mercy of my real world schedule which I can't always control, but I don't think you'll be disappointed in the final product. I've got multiple mazes in the game now selectable from a refined title screen, alternate icons that you must find, revised maze screens, the hedge maze allows you to travel on the green part, the bridge and sword can be manipulated by a top fire button press (sword points left or right, bridge is either normal or a sideways bridge), and other tweaks. The Troll is less bothersome than before and you move a bit faster.

The cake is done, now I'm icing it. A bit more time is needed.

1013027[/snapback]

Maybe a new demo that is more full featured than the one currently available would satisfy those grumbling???

:D

Not that I have *any* self-interest in such a release... :ponder:

Okay ... here's a new demo .. I'm in a hurry, not sure if I screwed something up hacking it together .. there are probably a few testing things still in this demo. here's what I think you'll see in this new demo:

1. Press either #6 or upper firebutton to manipulate bridge/sword.

2. Bridgesprite graphic is unfinished in this demo. Ignore that, it should pretty much still work.

3. New: maze; walk on the green's in hedge; Ice Kingdom new colors. Regardless of which game variation you pick, it'll be the same one.

You might get stuck in the Ice or Dark castles on some screens. Feel free to report problems if you want. Sounds are still the old ones.

adv2.bin

Edited by Cafeman

Okay ... here's a new demo .. I'm in a hurry, not sure if I screwed something up hacking it together .. there are probably a few testing things still in this demo. here's what I think you'll see in this new demo:

1. Press either #6 or upper firebutton to manipulate bridge/sword.

2. Bridgesprite  graphic is unfinished in this demo. Ignore that, it should pretty much still work.

3. New: maze; walk on the green's in hedge; Ice Kingdom new colors. Regardless of which game variation you pick, it'll be the same one.

You might get stuck in the Ice or Dark castles on some screens. Feel free to report problems if you want. Sounds are still the old ones.

1013194[/snapback]

Wow... I didn't actually expect that to *work*! :)

So... the game feels more mature with the new map layouts. They seem more logical and less haphazzard. I'm seeing some graphic artifacts half way down when I've got the sword... and it has been putting the bridge in that area that is "inaccessible" (that should be a place that the BRIDGE never gets put).

I can't see though how it could be rushed when it was supposed to have been done over a month ago is all.

1013026[/snapback]

Uhm, yeah, I'm guessing you don't do a lot of software development? When a programmer says she "rushed," it means she didn't have a chance to test it to her satisfaction, or to consider all all the implications of the latest changes, or maybe to implement everything as planned. It does kind of suck that the holiday cart got held up, but I wouldn't "rush" Adventure II out the door in exchange. Once it's shipped, it's shipped, and if it's not as good as it can be because some nimrod goaded Ron about the release date, well, stoning the nimrod in question is unfortunately not allowed...but my cat produces a prodigious amount of poo I could fedex them... I have every confidence that Ron will be as valiant as Mr. Square in resisting any nimrods out there who'd rather have a rushed game now than a complete game a little later.

Edited by Jacob Rose

1013026[/snapback]

Uhm, yeah, I'm guessing you don't do a lot of software development? When a programmer says she "rushed," it means she didn't have a chance to test it to her satisfaction, or to consider all all the implications of the latest changes, or maybe to implement everything as planned. It does kind of suck that the holiday cart got held up, but I wouldn't "rush" Adventure II out the door in exchange. Once it's shipped, it's shipped, and if it's not as good as it can be because some nimrod goaded Ron about the release date, well, stoning the nimrod in question is unfortunately not allowed...but my cat produces a prodigious amount of poo I could fedex them... I have every confidence that Rod will valiantly resist any nimrods out there.

1014229[/snapback]

:roll:

No I dont do any software development. Nor am I a nimrod, though I appreceate the flame. I could also say that it would suck for some assclown to come along and make a completely useless comment about software development and cat crap when they didnt read the original post of the person they are flaming.

There was an expectation the the game would be shipped in late December, hence that would lead one to believe the game is already complete. Personally I dont want it rushed either, but the idea that the games was not even yet finished hadnt crossed my mind since it was...well...supposed to ship in late December.

Edited by jetset

So again, sorry you guys pre-ordered and you have to wait.  Try to remember, it's still a homebrew ... I am at the mercy of my real world schedule which I can't always control, but I don't think you'll be disappointed in the final product.

1013027[/snapback]

While I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't have liked to play it after Christmas, I think that since I've been waiting some 25 odd years to play Adventure II - I can probably wait a wee bit longer :lol:

Take the time needed, do it right. My 5200 isn't going anywhere ;)