IGNORED

HDDRIVER.

javiero

Hy, I bought Hddriver last saturday, Uwe was kind enogh to send the software via e-mail without manual, no german for me, i installed the software and repartition my drive... Now it works fine. I didn't bought from the british because they don't take credit cards... therefore i have no manual, altough hdconfig is very easy to use, i would love to know what else can i do with this software. I installed Magic 5.1 also.

Thank you very much.

Javier.

Gday - I bought it too that way, mainly because I wanted to use PC compatible formatting on my external SCSI HDD I use with the Falcon. With Uwes help I set that up so I can simply plug the external HDD into a $5 scsi card on my PC and the partition is usable there too.

I can dump huge files onto the SCSI drive and swing it back onto the falcon, saves me hours over the "split it up and use a floppy option".

Am midway through building a external converter box out of an old ICD link PCB that will allow me to plug the same drive into the back of an STE and have it recognise the drive too.

Its a great bit of software - well worth the price.

I get the feeling I have only just touched the surface of what it can do tho.

Oh I used it to set up a 512Mb partition on a Compact Flash card in the falcon connected to an IDE to CF adaptor, replaced the old internal hard drive that was dead with a large faster CF card that runs totally silent and has almost instantaneous access times.

Edited by Womble76

Oh I used it to set up a 512Mb partition on a Compact Flash card in the falcon connected to an IDE to CF adaptor, replaced the old internal hard drive that was dead with a large faster CF card that runs totally silent and has almost instantaneous access times.

973844[/snapback]

What is the speed of your CF card ?

I did the same : IDE to CF adaptor with a 512 MB x80 and it didn't work. :sad:

The Falcon booted once in a while and after a couple of minutes some bombs appeared or it simply ended hung.

I think the card was too fast, but I'm not sure...

Hmm - well the falcon shouldnt care about the speed of the card unless the card couldnt keep up with the falcon which is highly unlikely. The CF card wouldnt provide its own clock so if anything the falc would be driving it far slower than its max speed and it wouldnt mind that.

Not sure what my card is - the auction guy just called it High Speed. Were you using HDDriver? How did you fix the CF adaptor in place? I mounted mine on rubber washer screwed through 2 holes I drilled in the HDD caddy, any shorts would probably crash the machine.

How many bombs did you get?

Sadly you cant have a CF card in the falcon that you can boot from AND plug it into a PC and have it recognised. The area on the disk that the falcon uses for its boot record is the same area as the PCs file allocation table. What you could do is mount 2 CF cards inside, have one as the boot drive and one formated in PC/TOS compatability.

That is what I was afraid of. I have 256 MB card which I want to use for main disk. Maybe I can find other 16 MB card only for booting. It is interesting idea to use 2 CF cards. Now I am thiniking how to modify Falcon case. I would like to have some slot for easy access to CF card.

Hmm - well the falcon shouldnt care about the speed of the card unless the card couldnt keep up with the falcon which is highly unlikely. The CF card wouldnt provide its own clock so if anything the falc would be driving it far slower than its max speed and it wouldnt mind that.

Not sure what my card is - the auction guy just called it High Speed. Were you using HDDriver? How did you fix the CF adaptor in place? I mounted mine on rubber washer screwed through 2 holes I drilled in the HDD caddy, any shorts would probably crash the machine.

How many bombs did you get?

974962[/snapback]

Well, I tried this CF card on my A1200 with its IDE 2 CF adapter and I had some troubles too.

I could fix it with another CF card. A slower one (between 3MB/s - 4 MB/s) and it works fine. So I think the card speed must be a something to care of.

As for the Falcon 030, I haven't tried with a slower CF card yet.

I don't remember the type of error nor number of bombs it displayed, but I will retry and I will post it, maybe it could help.

I have 256 MB card which I want to use for main disk. Maybe I can find other 16 MB card only for booting.

This is not enough for me.

My Falcons have two and five gig hard drives. I'm thinking about getting a ten gig hd for one of them...

Are there bigger cf-cards available?

I have 256 MB card which I want to use for main disk. Maybe I can find other 16 MB card only for booting.

This is not enough for me.

My Falcons have two and five gig hard drives. I'm thinking about getting a ten gig hd for one of them...

Are there bigger cf-cards available?

977164[/snapback]

As far as I know, the biggest CF card available are the 12 GB ones made by Pretec (PRETEC Cheetah with 13 MB/s read speed and 12 MB/s write speed). But they are a bit expensive : $9,999.99 ! ;)

Though the average size is 4 GB at a more reasonable price.

As far as I know, the biggest CF card available are the 12 GB ones made by Pretec (PRETEC Cheetah with 13 MB/s read speed and 12 MB/s write speed). But they are a bit expensive : $9,999.99 ! ;)

Though the average size is 4 GB at a more reasonable price.

977336[/snapback]

Ok - I'll stick to hard drives then...

Nees space for my mp3s... :D