IGNORED

New Atari Port - Venus Express

Heaven/TQA

twh, thanks for your feedback... similar things which i had in mind... but venus express was just ment that i spend 1-2 days coding before returning to Boinxx... and it never was planned to become a full game... ;)

regarding greetx you should give big thanks to Aleksi as well who coded the original...

the memory consumption of the game is very high... one level is generated and uses $1000-$cfff so not much room left to play around with stuff... but when it's planned for disc release (the plus) then it should be possible to get more into the game... (but a 5200 port get's unlikely).

twh,  thanks for your feedback... similar things which i had in mind... but venus express was just ment that i spend 1-2 days coding before returning to Boinxx...  and it never was planned to become a full game... ;)

996266[/snapback]

Ever thought of asking Swiety for another SID2POKEY tune (as done with YAKF) ?

It seems to work with G2F together... and saves a lot of development time.

Drawing a G2F picture with a small picture and a highscoretable wouldn't take "that" much time, too.

small update:

2nd status bar added with game related informations like GET READY, GAME OVER etc...

can someone please check on NTSC machines if this bottom status line is still in the visible area of the tv? thanks

and please check if the scrolling is still smooth on NTSC & PAL real hardware... merci.

venus.zip

post-528-1136756351_thumb.png

post-528-1136756360_thumb.png

post-528-1136756367_thumb.png

post-528-1136756376_thumb.jpg

Edited by Heaven/TQA

small update:

2nd status bar added with game related informations like GET READY, GAME OVER etc...

can someone please check on NTSC machines if this bottom status line is still in the visible area of the tv? thanks

and please check if the scrolling is still smooth on NTSC & PAL real hardware... merci.

996415[/snapback]

The scrolling looks good on my NTSC machine. I can't comment on the overscan - I am hooked to a 1084S monitor. The top & bottom status lines are very slightly cropped, but I have the monitor setup for maximum screen size when using ICE-T (which I believe does a full 25 lines of text).

Stephen Anderson

Don't have a joystick here at work, so I cannot test the scrolling... but this is what I get with my NTSC 130XE and a Hauppauge video capture card...

Also, if you don't go down into the cave, but hover over the opening and go left or go right, you see a blip on screen when you wrap around...

I know. I know! Why would one do this? Dunno... :)

post-4398-1136844627_thumb.png

Edited by Cybernoid

• 2 weeks later...
small update...

have a look...

dummy rmt file included... some DLI colour changes (still not perfect). color table is used from Jason's Reaxion. (sorry...but i was too lazy to design my onw... ;))

1004792[/snapback]

:D :D :D

But don't forget to use a 3-channel RMT tune. The game plays a bit different with the engine-noises. Alternatively include an option to switch between music and engine sound.

\twh

Well,

I always prefer a file over the boot-version... (can I have a file please?)

The first downloadable version did not work on a real A8 (not with a DOS, not with a gamedos) since one of the segments used memory $0500-$0axx (or $1axx). You know DOS 2.x usually uses memory $0700-1Dxx (or 1Exx or 1Fxx depending on the config.), but most gamedos versions also use $0700-0Axx (or $0Bxx or 0Cxx), thats why the program could not work...

[sidenote: Me, I fixed it this way: 1) loaded all segments into the Superpacker and created two program files a) segment $0500-0Axx and run adress b) all other segments; 2) loaded the Super-Copy program (converts tape to disk and vice versa, also converts boot to file) and did some "stupid" conversions a) loaded the segment 0500... from disk as an *.EXE file, b) saved it to another disk as a bootdisk, c) loaded it from disk as a bootdisk and d) saved it to disk as an *.EXE file. Why this ?!? Well, the Super-Copy program converts and relocates boot programs always to the memory adress of $1F00-... and Run adress 1F3F, thats fine for all DOS 2.x and gamedos programs, alas supercopy works only with programs shorter than 32kbytes; 3) final step: combined the *now* relocated segment with all other segments (using DOS and its copy and append command) - voila, Venus worked fine under a gamedos... prof. programmers could have done this much faster+easier, but at least this method worked... HINT: If you find any programs that use memory adress(es) of $0700-... and thus will not work on a real A8, for example many former turbotape games on Fandal`s site, simply use Supercopy to convert and relocate that program (as long as it is shorter than 32kbytes)...]

- Andreas Magenheimer

well...venus uses complete 48K-RAM... (btw...how can you use the $d000-$d800 area??? or am i stupid... ;))

x0500-x0fff for Sprites, Font, ...

x1000-xcfff for the playfield, generated by the level generator

xd800-xdfff the RMT-module

xe000-xefff rmt player + pmbase

xf000-ffff code, lookuptable,new small bios...

so... very, very tough

actually it's not ment to be a boodisc for this small game but i'll reorganise code when it's done... i just need a small relocator as the x1000-xcfff is just needed when game starts...

here is the newest build... looks more professional... as lizard mentioned...the levels should now have different background gfx... ;) i used the ones from boinxx... just for testing...

and if you ask yourself why the hell is heaven playing around with venus it's simply because for fun... and i learn a lot for polishing and finishing Boinxx which is much more complicated than this port of Venus Express from c64...

btw... it will be hard to keep Venus A8 below the 4k packed... for the minigame compo...

venus2.zip

i just realised that i got tearing of the background in atari800win in ntsc? can US guys double check on real hardware?`thanks...

btw... just the credits:

original concept: Aleksi Eeben (c64 Version called venus express 1k winning game in the minigame 2005 compo)

game code: Aleksi Eeeben with adaptations by Heaven (A8 specifics)

addition A8 enhancements: Heaven

RMT music player: Raster

RMT module: Sack/C0s (original SID "Sanxion loader" by M. Galway)

Font: Ripped (oops...) from Dropzone

additional background gfx: Aleksi Eeden, Retrofan (ripped from Boinxx)

DLI colour tables: Ripped (oops again... ;)) from Reaxion with permission by TMR/C0s

Mini-Bios: Fox/Taquart

Tools used:

PC

Xasm 3.0 + Crimson Editor

Xboot Professional

Charpad 1.0

Turbo Basic XL

graph (gr.15 to multicolour PMs converter tool)

have fun...