IGNORED

Ladybug - 2600

johnnywc

For your next game, I'd suggest coding one that's never been done on the 2600 before. Betcha can't do Mappy! :D

It's been awhile since I've seen Mappy; there would certainly be some unavoidable flicker when too many objects shared a line, but what fundamental problems if any would there be?

Use the Ball to draw the door and the waves that project out (while waves are projecting from a door, flicker the door at 30Hz). Use a 2LK for most of the player sprites. Precalculate the sprite values for the 'floor' scan lines, and draw those with a combination of stores to COLUPF, COLUBK, and RESPBL. I think it should be possible to get smooth motion that way, and it should also be possible to handle the colored trampolines.

- Arkanoid (it would be a dream to play using paddles)

I developed an awesome Arkanoid kernel for use on a SuperCharger (should also work well with 4A50). It features medium-resolution bricks (9, 12, or 15 pixels wide, with a restriction that all gaps between bricks must be 9, 12, 15, or a larger multiple of 3, pixels wide) in a nice variety of colors using 30Hz color-dithering flicker. It can display one player and both missiles using single-line resolution, and even supports reading one paddle controller.

Only problem is I'm not all that keen on Arkanoid, so I don't feel to much like coding the actual game. :)

Donkey Kong has always been one of my favorites and I may re-do it as a proof-of-concept sort of project since No-friend-o would flip if they found out.

In other words, you wouldn't release your DK version in cart format. Yeah, that would be prudent. On the other hand, redoing DK would attract even more homebrew attention than even Lady Bug, although I'm sure you'd be hard-pressed to include all four arcade levels. Heck, just having the elevator level (in addition to the girder and rivet level) would be cool enough. :D

I developed an awesome Arkanoid kernel for use on a SuperCharger (should also work well with 4A50). It features medium-resolution bricks (9, 12, or 15 pixels wide, with a restriction that all gaps between bricks must be 9, 12, 15, or a larger multiple of 3, pixels wide) in a nice variety of colors using 30Hz color-dithering flicker. It can display one player and both missiles using single-line resolution, and even supports reading one paddle controller.

Only problem is I'm not all that keen on Arkanoid, so I don't feel to much like coding the actual game. :)

That's quite interesting! :)

If you don't feel like doing the actual game, would you happen to have a mockup you could show us, at least? I suppose you'd do the rolling capsules as simple colored rectangles, and the little critters would have one or two frames of animation...

Hey Gang!

Here's one I would love to see-

MAKE TRAX!

I had done a screen mockup and a box shot a few years ago. mt2600maze1.gif

mttitle.gif

mt2600title.gif

I had redesigned the brush and the characters. I will post more if I can find it.

KEEP PLAYIN' LIKE ITS 1981!

Ray

www.abrightideaamusements.com

I hope new version of the 2600 Lunar Lander gets released in some form. What is the status on it?

Some more I would like to see:

Heinkyo Alien

Galaga

Video Pinball Arcade

Gaplus

Super Pac-Man

game based on Tac Scan with a closing wall stage based on the third wave and a behind the ship stage ala solaris.

Pepper 2

Turbo

Edited by BrianC

In other words, you wouldn't release your DK version in cart format. Yeah, that would be prudent. On the other hand, redoing DK would attract even more homebrew attention than even Lady Bug, although I'm sure you'd be hard-pressed to include all four arcade levels. Heck, just having the elevator level (in addition to the girder and rivet level) would be cool enough. :D

Trademark protections are broader than copyrights, but companies have to keep paying maintenance fees to retain trademark protection. Nintendo has maintained its trademarks for Donky Kong; by contrast, Universal's trademarks for LadyBug have lapsed.

I hope new version of the 2600 Lunar Lander gets released in some form. What is the status on it?

I worked on the new version of 2600 Lunar Lander. It's ok, but lacks polish for a true release IMO (it was my first 2600 game). Maybe someday...

Some more I would like to see:

Heinkyo Alien

Galaga

Video Pinball Arcade

Gaplus

Super Pac-Man

game based on Tac Scan with a closing wall stage based on the third wave and a behind the ship stage ala solaris.

Pepper 2

Turbo

Galaga/Gaplus: probably too much going on to be doable on a 2600 (Galaxian is probably the best that can be done)

Super Pac-man: Hmmmm....

Turbo: There was an April Fool's joke sponsored by our very own Thomas (TJ) that was a pretty decent proof-of-concept that could be a decent game.

Edited by johnnywc

If you don't feel like doing the actual game, would you happen to have a mockup you could show us, at least? I suppose you'd do the rolling capsules as simple colored rectangles, and the little critters would have one or two frames of animation...

See my blog. There are some demos there.

Somehow feels like Christmas in July, with everyone posting their wishlist for arcade conversions to Santa Johnny ;)

Can't help to post another request...

What about Space Panic?

The first ever platformer (if I recall correctly), another sleeper hit, original and addicting gameplay, no license worry, and a good warmup for Donkey Kong...

Getting back to Lady Bug, great to see you have now included the last game score & veggie level display in the demo gameplay screen, Johnny. Perfect.

In fact, with that, the demo "game over" screen has now lost its function, and maybe you'd like to consider dropping it? May free a couple more bytes...

I also like the Lady Bug animation on the title screen - it is minimalist, but very elegant :cool:

Cheers, Eric

I wouldn't mind seeing a better Burgertime port on the 2600, but is it possible? Maybe if it allowed for flicker? Are closer ports of Bump 'n Jump and Lock 'n Chase a possibility? I love the 2600 ports of them, but I wonder what could be done with these games if they allowed for flicker.

I saw that Turbo joke for the 2600. It's part of the reason I suggested Turbo (the other reason is becuase it was one of the infamous unreleased Coleco games).

I love the 2600 Ladybug. I like how it has the music and death animations from the arcade. I still can't believe that it has a maze complete with rotating doors and the letters and objects from the arcade. I seriously doubt that the Coleco one would be anywhere near as good if it was released.

Edited by BrianC

Didn't mean to derail the Ladybug discussion with one sentence. :ponder:

Anyway, I'll add Pengo to the list. The gameplay just isn't there in the existing port. It wouldn't be Pengo without the Popcorn music, and I'm not sure how difficult it would be to get permission. Just a thought.

I like the Popcorn music, but it's not like the alternate music used in one of the arcade versions and Atari 800/5200 versions is poorly done. The 2600 version of the music loops too quickly and should be turned off. The 800/5200 version is very close to the arcade and the music doesn't loop like the 2600 version. The changed music in no way hampers gameplay. Oddly enough, a couple unofficial clones of Pengo for the C64 actually have Popcorn. Chilly Willy has the theme from Dallas as the title screen music and Popcorn durning gameplay.

The board width seems to be different from other versions, but the 2600 one seems to play fine to me. It has all of the elements intact, even the bonus counter at the end of each level. Is a closer width to the arcade possible on the 2600?

Edited by BrianC

May I suggest Robby Roto for a compromise then? :D
Never heard of Robby Roto - and I see it got 0 votes in your poll... Maybe I'll skip that one....:)

Oh it just fit into the "Mr. Do! / Dig Dug" context. If you want to go by poll votes, then Tron would be the first choice :D

Nice! Is that a real screen shot or a mockup?

It's a mockup. Look at the filename.

Besides, there are a few things showing that aren't exactly possible. For example, the Oil Barrel, the fireball, and the barrel are all on the same scanlines. No can do. Presumably a real game would use flicker.

That being said, it's an excellent mockup. The person who did it was pretty clear on what the 2600 could and couldn't do, and thus made a mockup to play to its strengths. Too bad the rest of the levels aren't mocked up as well. :)

The playfield Donkey Kong at the top is almost certainly impossible as well, unless you make him the same color as the rest of the playfield.

Hmm? Why's that? There's enough gap between the barrels and DK there to feasibly flip the playfield color. Flipping it back on time for the platform/ladders would be far more tricky, but still doable. Worst case, you could shift the platform over a smidge to make more room for DK.

One thing to keep in mind is that the top few lines would be needed for sprite positioning. (Given that a multisprite kernal would be a necessity.) This would probably reduce the size of the top two ladders, unless some trickery was used to incorporate it into the sprite positioning count. Another way of getting around this is to use the overscan time to pre-position the sprites for the next frame. The only problem is that this could interact badly with any logic performed during the blanking period.