IGNORED

Locating the missing E.T.cartridges....

KAZ

For those of you who don't think the ET games were bulldozed, here's a story for you.

I live right across from NY City. Rumor has it that Topps OVERPRINTED the 1952 edition. For those of you Baseball nuts out there, this is Mickey Mantle's Rookie Card year. They supposedly threw cases upon cases in the Hudson River that wouldn't sell.

Guess what? MM is worth alot more money than ET. But water does a lot more damage than dirt.

Phil

So from reading that article, then we should know the exact location of the missing carts (steamrolled as the case may be).

And cement poured in.

But the fact that these carts could no longer function after so much destuction, doesn't alter the supposed fact that they exist inside a cement encasing.

If this site could ever be exavated (not that I myself could do this), might there be a solvent that can react to the cement but not the flattened carts? Like disolve away the cement encompasing all these smashed carts.

What you'd get of course is a 1 ton piece of flat metal waste, but it would be the cartridges, and a portion of it could still contain value to a collector, wouldn't you think?

The other logistical nightmare is that there might be businesses or homes atop this dumping site perhaps?

I can see looting as being a problem back in 1983, but I doubt anyone, including Atari, would care if someone dug up the remains today.

Chris wrote:

quote:

I maintain that we have NOT BEEN ON THE MOON. A satellite placed the reflecting surface up there -- not a human.

Well, I should at least point out how unlikely it would be that a satellite could do that. Maybe a lander.

But I think you've put too much faith in the crank who started this whole hoax nonsense. The rebuttals I've seen were far more intelligent than this guy's arguments. The guy doesn't PROVE anything, he just asks a bunch of questions. The rebuttals contain bits of info that CAN be proved if you take the time.

Some links:

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2001/ast23feb_2.htm http://www.globalsecurity.org/org/news/200...10808-moon2.htm [both sides!] http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag/mmoonhoax.html

Also, it's funny that people ask "We see a film of Armstrong landing on the moon, but who put the camera on the moon in the first place to take the pictures?" (this is a quote from a message board), yet you admit that the reflector was placed there -- why not a camera too? (In fact the camera was on one of the lunar modules legs and operated remotely or automatically).

There was a REALLy good site debunking all the crap in the hoax theory, but I can't find it right now...

quote:

I can't resist carrying on this topic that has nothing to do with the thread or Atari in general. It's probably because I love to provoke. All in good fun, of course. Perhaps we should agree to disagree, Russ.

Well, I wasn't there either, so I can't say with absolute certainty, but I do think that if you cared enough to research it, you'd find that most of the reasons you think we DIDN'T go will fall away.

Even some of the pics the hoax guys point at can easily be tossed out if you see the video or other stills shot at the same time. But of course these guys aren't going to try to disprove their own hoax theories, because they wouldn't get the attention and money from the books, the Fox specials, etc. But it's a load of rubbish if you ask me.

quote:

Speaking of you, why hasn't the Connection page been updated for over a year? Just curious. You've done a good job with the paper version.

Tim's still taking care of the website, though he may turn it over to me in the future. But it's also partly my fault because I haven't been sending him articles to put up always...

Ok, fine- you convinced me that Americans did step foot on the moon. Good job, those conspiracy theorists are all idiots.

But I still need an answer to my simple simple question:

When was the last time Americans set foot on the moon? You don't need to know the exact date, I just want a year.

Please?

I'm begging you PLEASE provide me with an answer, I'm really curious.

[ 05-23-2002: Message edited by: KAZ ]

I maintain that we have NOT BEEN ON THE MOON. A satellite placed the reflecting surface up there -- not a human.

I can't resist carrying on this topic that has nothing to do with the thread or Atari in general. It's probably because I love to provoke. All in good fun, of course. Perhaps we should agree to disagree, Russ. Speaking of you, why hasn't the Connection page been updated for over a year? Just curious. You've done a good job with the paper version.

CF

According to this site: http://www.seds.org/nineplanets/nineplanets/luna.html

quote:

The Moon was first visited by the Soviet spacecraft Luna 2 in 1959. It is the only extraterrestrial body to have been visited by humans. The first landing was on July 20, 1969 (do you remember where you were?); the last was in December 1972.

I reckon Apollo 13's so-called accident was a hoax as well! NASA needed to generate some interest amongst the American people towards what they were supposedly doing in space, so concocted this story about an accident on-board one of their rockets ... and staged the miraculous 'rescue' of their astronauts.

Well, it's more plausible than some conspiracy threories!

Actually, there is some compelling evidence that the moon landings were fake but I'm keeping an open mind on that.

Just thinking about the E.T. carts: I can see a new VCS game on the horizon based on a collector's search for the fabled burial ground of these million carts!

Believe it or not, I've read the text on every single web site you offered links to. I admit that every "conspiracy theory" is dispelled -- except for the missing stars in the pictures I've seen.

Even if they were added in later "shots," there's nothing to explain the absence of such bright points of light. The "filtering" and "exposure" arguments don't hold water -- filtering out points of radiance that bright (and unhampered by atmosphere) would definitely filter out the (darker) remainder of the landscape.

The funny thing is, I'd LOVE to believe that humans have been on the moon. I just can't, because I'm not gullible (and I believe very little that the government says, like all thinking people).

However, Russ, your extensive knowledge of the "dispelled theories" and related sites is impressive, thorough and, believe it or not, appreciated.

CF

Noone here thinks it is odd that we supposedly went to the moon ONLY ONCE?

ONE TIME

ONE TIME

ONE TIME

Isn't this at all wierd? It was back in 1969 for god sakes!

That was 30 ****ing years ago!

Not to belabor the point, but it wasn't just once. Did you see the post about the first and last landings? Even without other info that means it happened at least TWICE. As I recall it was more like ~10 times, but I'm too lazy to research now.

BTW Chris, you say you don't want to believe the gov because you're not gullible, but don't you think you could be seen as just as gullible for believing the conspiracy folk? The only to remove the chance of being seen as gullible is to not believe in anything, and I'm not so gullible as to believe that that is possible. ;-)

Wow, that urban legends site is great!

More useless knowledge for me to read!

As far as going to the moon, why should I care; I don't even have a car!

"missing E.T. carts";just had to write that so this doesn't go off-topic;like it isn't already...

No there has to be such a landfil and it is our responiblity no no duty to find it and than burn the damd things there's a reason they were put there they stink and i have to many copies as it is that being 6 almost 1/5 is these blasted things serously that sucks

But don't listen to me i'm just somepunk

Yeah I did read that...

If we went more than once than that does weaken my argument quite a bit, maybe alot even.

Each time they supposedly said they went to the moon makes it more likely they did actually.

Why they haven't gone in the last 15-20 years is still a little wierd. But oh well.

"E.T. Cartridges".

Ok, I said it. On topic like always

I am a NASA engineer. I have worked at NASA Langley for over 10 years. I do flight testing and not space, but the process is similar. By process, I mean the forming and managing of projects.

I am very familiar with the polictics and process inside the government. I can assure you that in no way could NASA put man (or woman) on the moon For the humor impaired, that was a joke so don't forward to 60minutes.com.

I will let Russ do the hardcore defense of the moon landings, and just add my 2 cents:

1. It is totally plausible that there are E.T. carts buried in the desert. Corporations and the government do all kinds of nasty stuff in remote parts of the desert, just because they can get away with it. Lots of companies have "destroyed" and buried excess unsold merchandise, because they can get a major tax writeoff. Apple buried a bunch of Macintosh XL computers in the mid-'80s, and I have no doubt that Atari buried a bunch of unsold copies of E.T.

2. Yes, there were several moon landings, not just one. And it doesn't take a rocket scientist (ha ha) to figure out why we haven't been back since 1972. It is damn expensive to send people to the moon. NASA's budget is getting cut, I'm sure, and there are a lot better ways for them to spend what money they have than going on joyrides to the moon.

Well my name is Thomas, so I dont believe anything without good evidence.

But I'm 100% sure, that man have been on the moon and that there wasn't any hoax.

And I'm also 100% sure, that there was not any good reason to send people (and cars!) up there except that it was cold war time and America had to beat Russia. After that was done, there wasn't any reason to repeat this, and that's why nobody has been there for 30 years now.

Now the NASA is starting to ask for a manned Mars program, again without any good reason. Bringing people to different planets now is a waste of resources. Roboters can do everything humans could do much cheaper and more efficient. But roboters can not become american heroes, so I'm afraid they will waste that money.

Perhaps Hollywood should sponsor that.