IGNORED

Locating the missing E.T.cartridges....

KAZ

quote:

Originally posted by Thomas Jentzsch:

Perhaps Hollywood should sponsor that.

Good one! This is just another frustrating example to me of how much humanity could achieve if it put its resources (time, human energy, and money) into collaborative efforts that advance our knowledge and understanding instead of competition and profit... wars, corporate greed, one-upmanship. Instead of fighting wars over outmoded belief systems we should educate people. Instead of putting huge corporate efforts behind beating the competition for the almighty dollar we should collaborate to create things that can improve life on earth. Instead of lobbying the government to protect oil interests we should develop effective ways to convert our consumption to solar and wind power. Et cetera. It is very depressing.

(For the record, no I am not a communist... but I have trouble with capitalism too. And to think... I used to be an Ayn Rand freak!)

[ 05-31-2002: Message edited by: room34 ]

quote:

Now the NASA is starting to ask for a manned Mars program, again without any good reason. Bringing people to different planets now is a waste of resources. Roboters can do everything humans could do much cheaper and more efficient. But roboters can not become american heroes, so I'm afraid they will waste that money.

Perhaps Hollywood should sponsor that.

Actually, NASA didn't ask for a manned mission to Mars. It was mandated by George Bush, Sr to put a man on Mars by 2020.

As far as robots, there are many in NASA who have the same belief: send robots. This was a battle between our former administrator and robotics engineers.

quote:

Why do I always hear the same name, when IMO the US are acting quite stupid?

"W" or no "W," I am inclined to agree.

I know politics are a sensitive issue, and I usually keep my thoughts on the matter to myself (although I've already opened the gates a little in this thread), but frankly I see the U.S. doing a lot of stupid things around the world, things that really embarrass me as a U.S. citizen, and I just wish there were some way to convey to the rest of the world, "No, despite what our government does, we are not all pompous, arrogant, self-absorbed morons!!!"