IGNORED

New Atari Company

Idea Revolutions

First of all, he's not a kid. Secondly, he has not even tried any of his ideas on his own. Third, this board has seen this type of thing many times before. And finally, we may be snooty...but we make a mighty fine cheesecake.

Yeah, like I said, nobody has a sense of humor in the Off-Topic forum. But that's what I get for trying to relate to teenagers.

I still refuse to respect Layne Staley for dying from heroin. If a kid gets depressed because I say something like that, that's his problem, not mine. Besides, Liquid and I have made peace. That's over. C'mon, Nukey, you're usually the smart-ass around here. When did everyone get so sensitive all of a sudden?

CF

quote:

Originally posted by Chris Federico:

For being such normally humorous, usually intelligent people, sometimes this bunch can be the most elitist, most snooty in the world.

Yes I am. And I'm proud that I can.

The problem for me is, that every few months the same sad thing happens: People who seem to have absolutely no idea on how to create a game for the 2600, are starting tell us, that they are the ones who know better.

IMO that makes them look terrible stupid!

And if I really hate something, then it is being stupid without knowing that. That is ultra stupid !!!

Sorry, but I couldn't stand it anymore.

Now I'll try to behave better...

...until the next time.

quote:

Originally posted by Thomas Jentzsch:

The problem for me is, that every few months the same sad thing happens: People who seem to have
absolutely no
idea on how to create a game for the 2600, are starting tell us, that they are the ones who know better.

Hehe, actually, this time, already the first posting said "Except that we don't know anything, at all."

No, really, you know I feel almost the same as you. Can't wait to see the next Q-BASIC Atari game

BTW: You're ruining the price for programming an Atari game on request. I normally ask for $5000

Greetings,

Manuel

But let's be careful and try not to confuse "inexperience" for "stupidity." If the Atari Arts guys are in over their heads, they'll find out soon enough, without all the insults.

I know, it's easy for me to talk -- I'm viewing this whole thread from a third-person perspective, because I have no idea how to code for Stella. Nor do I have an interest in learning how. I'm also a relatively new guy on your nifty board here. It just bugs me to see people attacked with so much negativity just for posting something naive. Y'never know who might make a great game if encouraged.

CF

P.S. Nukey -- I don't care if I hurt a stranger's feelings if I'm being honest and stating my opinion. If I really was trying to hurt someone, then yes, I would be a **** . But if I'm just stating my opinion, it should be seen for what it is: Just a bunch of text.

quote:

Originally posted by Chris Wilkson:

The thing that makes working with the 2600

cool is the challenge. Making something

from next to nothing. But almost nobody

does it without help. These guys are asking

for help, which by itself is hard to do

sometimes. And they come to the right place

to get that help. And they get made fun of

and generally shot down. Sad.

It's not that we're against anyone trying something for the VCS -- hell, we're all retro nuts. Anything "New-old" is generally drooled over and watched over like a twice-escaped convict. But this isn't a project. It's not a game. It's an idea. It's intellectual property. It has no form or substance, only potential, and even then, only at the hands of someone who's actually willing to, and capable of, realizing it. AtariArts/Idea Revolution doesn't make the games. They are essentially the people who say, "Hey, wouldn't this be cool?" and then tries to find someone to do it. Everyone's got a "wouldn't this be cool" idea, the actual developers in particular. There's no shortage of ideas. To try and officiate them by becoming middle men is redundnat. If I had an idea for a game called "Wheat Whacker," but lacked the necessary skills to make it real, I'd go and acquire the skills. And if I had the skills -- well, I must have acquired them for a reason, which is almost certainly because I wanted to write a game and had an idea for one.

It's sort of like trying to commission Oscar Mayer to create a new wiener you've just thought of. Oscar Mayer's business is wieners. There's probably a good reason the wiener you just thought of hasn't already been done.

Bloody hell, now look what I've done to myself. It's stuck in my head.

"My bologna has a first name..."

Hey, there's an idea for a game, and it can even have some label recognition to boot: Oscar Mayer™'s Bologna Chase! Moycon can do the graphics. Anyone wanna code this puppy? Oh, that'll be $2,000, please.

[ 06-05-2002: Message edited by: Mindfield ]

quote:

Originally posted by Cybergoth:

BTW: You're ruining the price for programming an Atari game on request. I normally ask for $5000

The $2000 were an exclusive offer for an enthusiastic non-profit organisation (2K only)

$5000 would be the minimum price for somebody trying to make real money from it.

I think it is BETTER that you try to program for the Atari 2600, as it is the platform that is simple enough to allow amateurs to do this.

Erm... acutally, the extreme simplicity of the hardware is precisely what makes the VCS exceptionally difficult to code for. Forget about novel concepts like screen RAM or frame buffers; you're building each frame in real time. And by you, I mean you, not the system. 6502 isn't actually that hard to pick up; it's a little obscure, but overall it doesn't take long to work it out. Once I was actually able to make sense of the mnemonics and the logical structure, I was picking it up in weeks. The real trial is learning the peculiarities of the VCS internals. I haven't done so, and frankly it seems quite daunting; compared to Mac/65 on the 8-bit, VCS coding seems a little like chewing your own teeth.

quote:

But let's be careful and try not to confuse "inexperience" for "stupidity." If the Atari Arts guys are in over their heads, they'll find out soon enough, without all the insults.

Ok, you know (and I know ), my English is not very good, maybe inexperience is the right word. But my (cheap) dictionary is telling me something different.

What I mean is:

Being inexperienced and not knowing that you are, makes you look stupid.

IMO that's no insult, it's a fact.

BTW: Yes, they (who?) censor f***! And yes, that's weird.

I'd just like to add that the $100 would go to a good charity. Namely, food for me. So it's not like he'd be purchasing a shoddy, untested hack of a game that somehow resembles his original idea, but the continued support of me to make shoddy, untested hacks of games of concepts yet unrealised.

Alms? Alms?

quote:

I'm sorry -- I really didn't know your English wasn't good. You pull it off really well!

Nice compliment, thanx! But my school teachers told me, that I shouldn't believe it.

Forgive my "correction."

No reason for excuse, I didn't feel offended at all.

quote:

Originally posted by Smart Patrol:

I agree. The graphics are simple and with your boards there's enough ROM space. And saves could be done using a code. The only problem might be memory. Maybe you should put together a SuperChip board.

-Paul

Hmmm....you're the 2nd person today that's suggested that. Maybe I should! But if I were going to do any type of RPG,

(SHAMELESS PLUG) I'd use the Megacart: 128KB ROM, 32KB RAM, with battery backup! (/SHAMELESS PLUG)

Ooh! Hey! I have this idea for a cartridge format! All I need is a programmer to use it. Any takers????

Sorry...had to poke fun at this thread, and all of us! But I'm out of free time for another while, so everyone enjoy!

-Chris

All right, time to start getting agressive for the sake of Atari Arts whatever....

Ok, I buy an eprom burner...where are they sold at I don't know, on the net somewhere, I'm sure I could track it down and buy it.

Ok, I have the ability to burn stuff into an actual cartridge.

I get 100 combat cartridge VICTIMS to try my eprom burner out on.

Ok, now for the "hard" part. I spend half a day researching about programming, not to become masterful, but simply to be able to create enough data for the eprom burner to actually load up in an actual Atari 2600.

Who cares what is on the screen, a bunch of garble, and maybe some text.

1 combat cartridge killed.

Ok, I start randomly switching numbers and sequences of numbers around in my CODE from my tiny knowledge of programming.

I take cartridge number 2, and try my changes. Did it do anything? Omigod, there is a graphic I didn't see before. Well let's mess with it some more...

I research a little more about it, and copy a code that was in an existing game into the code...

I load it up on the Atari, and omigod, there's Yar's Revenge's middle distortion thing...how can I work with that?

I have 3 dead cartridges and 97 to go...

Don't you suppose that by the time I got to cartridge number 50 I'd have something resembling a game? A playable game, I don't know, but it has graphics that resemble actual games, doesn't it?

The negativity on this board makes me almost want to do this myself, just to prove it could be done, and I'd use that negativity to my advantage, and develop determination to PROVE to you guys it could be done.

Will it be a fun game? Maybe by cartridge 78 it might be, eh?

The End

[ 06-05-2002: Message edited by: KAZ ]

Atari Arts may have the idea, but what I'm trying to show is that there can be someone providing a "thinktank". I like to see myself as filling this role for them.

If you were forced into making a cartridge at all costs, whether it was a good game or not, could you do it?

Programming a better Berserk, as the Atari Arts suggested they could do may well be beyond their capabilities EVER.

What about a tiny pixel thing "shooting" another pixel thing across a blank screen?

It can be defined technically as a GAME, right? It doesn't HAVE to be fun ya know.

It could be called simply "Pixel Shooter" staring Pixel Joe, and you could have an elaborate instruction manual. And labels might not be too hard to make.

Game made, defined as NEW. Goal achieved.

[ 06-05-2002: Message edited by: KAZ ]

Yeah Kaz, try 1000 carts, then maybe by cart 778 you might have something resembling anything on the screen....

Half a days research to figure an eprom burner?? You must be a genious....

[ 06-05-2002: Message edited by: StellasGhost ]

quote:

Originally posted by Chris Wilkson:

Hmmm....you're the 2nd person today that's suggested that. Maybe I should! But if I were going to do any type of RPG,

(SHAMELESS PLUG) I'd use the Megacart: 128KB ROM, 32KB RAM, with battery backup! (/SHAMELESS PLUG)

!Drool! Have you really made that?!

Looks like Marble Craze is going to use the 32k setup. The music is what's pushing it over 16k.

Could you add extra RAM to your boards simply by reprogramming the PAL? I know you can set up some registers in the PAL, but I'm guessing you can only do a few.

-Paul

[ 06-05-2002: Message edited by: Smart Patrol ]

Oscar Mayer™'s Bologna Chase! Moycon can do the graphics.  

Sorry guys, I don't do programming... graphic's or otherwise. How-ever I do have some great ideas for this new project.

What do you think of this??:

moycon-88.gif

Would anyone like to program this game for me??? Thomas??? Anyone!????

*sigh*