IGNORED

New NES system?

I'm not going to flame the Gen Nex - the only thing I'll say is that if you are only playing NES games (meaning no imports), and if you don't care about the wireless receiver being built in, that you can save yourself $30 and buy a Yobo from ebay/estarland and get the same compatibility.

The "only playing NES games" thing confuses me. Both systems have Famicom slots and do play some Famicom games, but the Generation NEX site only has a compatibility list for US NES games and all the talk I hear here is about US NES games. What is with the lack of interest in Famicom games? How is the compatibility for Famicom games on a genuine top loader NES with a Famicom adapter?

Edited by BrianC

Is there a compatibility list for Famicom games for these Famiclones? Are there any Famicom games that do not work on an official NES top loader with Famicom adapter? I know that the sound in some games like Akumajo Densetsu is off on a US system, but that they are still playable. I also know that Famicom adapters can be found in some older games like Gyromite.

I don't understand the lack of interest in imports. Some of the best games for Famicom/NES are imports and some of them can be found for fairly cheap.

Edited by BrianC

I have about 6 or so Famicom carts. Always looking to up my collection. I also need to dig up disc system games as well. I only have Deep Dungeon for the FDS. The problem with getting imports, is that aside from one hole in the wall store, I would have to go to eBay... last website I tried to buy from ripped me off... didn't issue a refund when the item was returned, this was all of course, after a supposed attepmpt to deliver my game (yes, singular...I was after Mother/Earthbound 0). So on that end, I am guessing that most people's reesources are similar... a local shop, and eBay, and perhaps a couple online retailers.

The Twin Famicom is one of my favorite consoles. I just need to get a converter for the power...just to be on the safe side (I would be insanely pissed if I burned this one up!).

Is there a compatibility list for Famicom games for these Famiclones? Are there any Famicom games that do not work on an official NES top loader with Famicom adapter? I know that the sound in some games like Akumajo Densetsu is off on a US system, but that they are still playable. I also know that Famicom adapters can be found in some older games like Gyromite.

I don't understand the lack of interest in imports. Some of the best games for Famicom/NES are imports and some of them can be found for fairly cheap.

It's probably because you can't just walk into a store and find them. You have to order them online, etc.

Takes the fun away. :(

It's probably because you can't just walk into a store and find them. You have to order them online, etc.

I don't understand that logic. You can't just walk into any store and find most older US games either. Looking for them is part of the fun. Also, games can be ordered online that can't be found anywhere else, like the hombrews that are sold by this very site for instance.

madhatter667, which website ripped you off? I heard some good things about www.japangamestock.com, but I haven't tried them yet. They have some games I'm eying and are not too bad price wise. For newer import games, I have been using www.play-asia.com, which has been working out quite well. I also got some SFC imports from some Japanese sellers on ebay.

Edited by BrianC

I don't understand that logic. You can't just walk into any store and find most older US games either. Looking for them is part of the fun. Also, games can be ordered online that can't be found anywhere else, like the hombrews that are sold by this very site for instance.

madhatter667, which website ripped you off? I heard some good things about www.japangamestock.com, but I haven't tried them yet. They have some games I'm eying and are not too bad price wise. For newer import games, I have been using www.play-asia.com, which has been working out quite well. I also got some SFC imports from some Japanese sellers on ebay.

I mean you can't really walk into Goodwill and find a stack of Famicom games laying around. Well, you could, but it's unlikely.

Also, most classic gaming stores don't have Famicom games.

Now I could see ordering a Famicom online, just to get a few titles for it. But collecting Famicom in the US just seems a little silly. Running into NES games isn't a common occurence, so finding Japanese games in the US would be extremely rare.

I only know of A shop that sells them regularly. One, singular. If you want to play Super Famicom games, just rip the stop tabs out of your SNES and you're good to go! Hey, it takes about two minutes, and you will never be able to tell from the outside of the console. If you could take it apart (with a gamebit tool) you could do a cleaner removal, and make it practically invisible from the inside. Works like a charm! You can do the same thing for your N64, but you DO have to take the console apart (well the case anyhow) to do it, as you cannot get to the stop tabs from the outside... crafty, sneaky Nintendo... but they were at least kind enough to only make slightly differently shaped cartridges on the systems after the NES, and even then, kind enough to only use a different number of pins, which some people seem to get around easy enough without resorting to the whole purchasing another console route.

I mean you can't really walk into Goodwill and find a stack of Famicom games laying around. Well, you could, but it's unlikely.

Also, most classic gaming stores don't have Famicom games.

Now I could see ordering a Famicom online, just to get a few titles for it. But collecting Famicom in the US just seems a little silly. Running into NES games isn't a common occurence, so finding Japanese games in the US would be extremely rare.

In my last post, I was talking about games in general, not just Famicom/NES games, but yeah, you can't usually find imports at yard sales or places like goodwill in the US (though I have found a couple MD imports at a yardsale. Thunder Force III and Whip Rush. They had the sides cut off to fit in US systems. Not my idea of getting imports to fit in a US system, but they both work. Found them with a model 1 "high definition graphics" Genesis and slick newer 6 button controller for 20 dollars together. I also found a GB Parasol Stars at an EB and actidentially got a UK import of Solomon's Club at an EB, thinking it was a US version). They are easy enough to find if you look in the right places online, though. Most classic gaming stores don't have import Saturn, MD, SFC, N64 or PSX games either.

I don't buy games just to collect. In fact, while having the box and manuals is nice, I'm fine getting games loose, as long as the game itself is in good working condition. Playing the real games on actual hardware is never silly. However, I am careful to watch out for bootlegs and I'm not fine with getting bootlegs to save money (though if I got a bootleg as a gift, like I did with the N64 Famiclone, I would definatly not get rid of it, but I still try to get the real games).

If you want to play Super Famicom games, just rip the stop tabs out of your SNES and you're good to go! Hey, it takes about two minutes, and you will never be able to tell from the outside of the console. If you could take it apart (with a gamebit tool) you could do a cleaner removal, and make it practically invisible from the inside. Works like a charm! You can do the same thing for your N64, but you DO have to take the console apart (well the case anyhow) to do it, as you cannot get to the stop tabs from the outside... crafty, sneaky Nintendo... but they were at least kind enough to only make slightly differently shaped cartridges on the systems after the NES, and even then, kind enough to only use a different number of pins, which some people seem to get around easy enough without resorting to the whole purchasing another console route.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I did to play import games on my SNES, though the tabs were removed without opening it up. The SFC imports I have are Ganbare Goemon Kirakira Dochuu, Puyo Puyo Tsu Remix, and Pop 'n Twinbee. As for the N64, I have a passthrough cart for imports. I only have one N64 import, Puyo Puyo Sun, but I like it and it works great.

As for the NES, I definatly plan to get some more older NES games, open them up, and do some Famicom adapter hunting. I heard that Gyromite is the best game for it. None of my current games have the adapter. At least older games are easier to open, though. I have another means of playing Famicom games (N64 shaped Famiclone), but I have a feeling that it probably won't be as compatible as the official top loader NES 2 I have.

Edited by BrianC

I've got one and love it. I kind of missed NES the first time around, but am having a blast with the NEX and some thrifted games. I haven't run into any heinous compatibility issues (but then again I would miss the nuances between the original game and what NEX outputs) - I also love the wireless controllers. I swear that it's helped improve my scores. :)

I only know of A shop that sells them regularly. One, singular. If you want to play Super Famicom games, just rip the stop tabs out of your SNES and you're good to go! Hey, it takes about two minutes, and you will never be able to tell from the outside of the console. If you could take it apart (with a gamebit tool) you could do a cleaner removal, and make it practically invisible from the inside. Works like a charm! You can do the same thing for your N64, but you DO have to take the console apart (well the case anyhow) to do it, as you cannot get to the stop tabs from the outside... crafty, sneaky Nintendo... but they were at least kind enough to only make slightly differently shaped cartridges on the systems after the NES, and even then, kind enough to only use a different number of pins, which some people seem to get around easy enough without resorting to the whole purchasing another console route.

I didn't have to take my N64 apart, I just used a sander bit and a dremel.

... granted it did look like ass on the inside, but it got the job done.

As for the NEX, I don't care too much for it. It would be much cheaper if you just sent a toploader to me, I refurbish it and send it back. I have done a handful of NES's around the shop here at work, and months later, their NES works just as good as new... as long as the carts are clean of course.

As for the toploaders, I'd love to find a cheap Toploader. I wouldn't pay $100 for one, but I would for $50-$60.

Edited by keilbaca

It WAS Japanesegamestock. The cart was shipped via EMS, tracked, supposedly one attempt to delivery was made, no one was home, and the damn thing got sent back... which I tracked. I sent an email asking for a refund since something was bogus. They said they'd issue a refund when the cart came back. Cart went back, refund never happened.

That place doesn't get my business. If they are willing to burn someone that bad on their first time out... they don't deserve it. It isn't even so much that the game wasn't delivered, it could have been a bullshit delivery person, who was just lazy about it...we've recently had a batch of 4 rebate checks sent back to the company that issued them (Verizon) because the postal worker was a lazy jackass. So we now have a complaint filed with the Post Office, and they are looking into which carrier it was at the time. My beef was that I tracked the package all the way back to Japan using the EMS site, and I never got my money back for it. No refund issued for goods not delivered. Which EMS is supposed to be guranteed if I recall correctly. Really a bummer, as they had many games I wanted to buy.

It WAS Japanesegamestock. The cart was shipped via EMS, tracked, supposedly one attempt to delivery was made, no one was home, and the damn thing got sent back... which I tracked. I sent an email asking for a refund since something was bogus. They said they'd issue a refund when the cart came back. Cart went back, refund never happened.

That place doesn't get my business. If they are willing to burn someone that bad on their first time out... they don't deserve it. It isn't even so much that the game wasn't delivered, it could have been a bullshit delivery person, who was just lazy about it...we've recently had a batch of 4 rebate checks sent back to the company that issued them (Verizon) because the postal worker was a lazy jackass. So we now have a complaint filed with the Post Office, and they are looking into which carrier it was at the time. My beef was that I tracked the package all the way back to Japan using the EMS site, and I never got my money back for it. No refund issued for goods not delivered. Which EMS is supposed to be guranteed if I recall correctly. Really a bummer, as they had many games I wanted to buy.

Thanks for the info, but did they send a refund and you didn't recieve it, or was the refund not sent at all? If they flat out refused the refund, that royally sucks. Sounds like your postal system messed up. My postal service is messed up too. At my house, we often get the wrong mail, less mail than expected, and packages often arrive later than they should. I waited over a month for Ace Combat 04 ordered from best buy and the day I got it, the postal worker drove back to my house becuase she almost missed delivering it again.

Edited by BrianC

No the refund wasn't issued. I paid through my wife's paypal, and we both watched that beast afterwards. They said they would issue the refund when the cart came back.... months and months down the road... probably close to a year...nada, eventhough the cart went back safely.

Ugh. That's terrible, though if you haven't done it already, I recommend e-mailing them again.

I'll probably skip on the NeoFami or other clones. Technically, I have a clone with one of those N64 shaped things, but not out of choice. I'm fine with the model 2 NES. Oddly enough, I actually don't have any bone controllers, but it's definatly a real model 2. I wish it had A/V.

Edited by BrianC

I personally prefer the AV Famicom. It is the Japanese equivalent of the top-loader NES. You can play NES games on it using an inexpensive cart adapter. The main difference compared to the top-loader NES is that the AV Famicom has superior audio and video, as the AV Famicom using RCA composite audio and video, while the top-loader NES uses a poorly designed RF connection. RF is bad enough as it is, but the top-loader's implementation of it is aweful. If you don't believe me, compare the video of an original NES's RF versus the top-loader's RF.

I personally prefer the AV Famicom. It is the Japanese equivalent of the top-loader NES. You can play NES games on it using an inexpensive cart adapter. The main difference compared to the top-loader NES is that the AV Famicom has superior audio and video, as the AV Famicom using RCA composite audio and video, while the top-loader NES uses a poorly designed RF connection. RF is bad enough as it is, but the top-loader's implementation of it is aweful. If you don't believe me, compare the video of an original NES's RF versus the top-loader's RF.

Doh. I think "I'm fine with model 2 NES" was a bit misleading. I'm aware of the imperfect picture with the lines, but being able to play the games easier is an advantage. I want to get the Famicom A/V, but the problem is finding one. The Twin Famicom with the disk drive built in sounds good too. Can Famicom A/Vs use the same power supply as the US NES? What about the controller ports? Edit: The original Famicom uses an accessory port with a different style plug than US cords. I know that unlike the original Famicom, the Famicom A/V has it's own controller ports. Edit 2: Found my answer here. Apparantly, Famicom A/V has NES style ports AND an expansion port for older accessories.

Edited by BrianC

I think a lot of the controversy over the NEX is due to the producer's failed promises, and not from the unit itself. I have one, and it works great for 97% of what I own (300 or so games). Pretty much a few obscure games, Castlevania III, and a bunch of Koei strategy games are the ones that wont work. It plays my stack of twenty famicom carts too, and the controller is my fav NES pad ever. It's not perfect, but it (at least in my book) is a darn good little system.

Edited by Lord Thag

I am not sure about using USA power supplies on JAP consoles. I have seen people run JAP consoles on USA outlets without any negative consequences, but I'm still trying to find a step down converter just to be on the safe side. For a Twin Famicom, you are likely to pay a collector premium on it, no matter where you go. I got a boxed 2nd wave one for around $200, in almost perfect shape...so I considered it a decent deal.

As far as the Japangamestock conundrum... It's been long enough for me to cut my losses...I have a semi-local shop to go to for imports.

I am not sure about using USA power supplies on JAP consoles. I have seen people run JAP consoles on USA outlets without any negative consequences, but I'm still trying to find a step down converter just to be on the safe side. For a Twin Famicom, you are likely to pay a collector premium on it, no matter where you go. I got a boxed 2nd wave one for around $200, in almost perfect shape...so I considered it a decent deal.

Thats because Japanese use 100v with half the country at 50Hz and the other half at 60Hz. I do not know why. I used my razor in Japan with no problems. Laptop too, but they are made to take different voltages and frequency.

Here is a map of the electrical use throughout the world.