IGNORED

Forum Software Upgrade

Albert

Greetings!

If you're reading this, then you are using an upgraded version of the forum software. While most everything will operate the way it did before, there are several enhancements over the older forum software that we'd like to point out below (because they aren't all obvious):

- New Links section integrated into the forum

- Rich Text (WYSIWYG) Editor

- New "Profile Photos" section

- Improved Blog module

- Improved Gallery module

- Multiple Question Polls

- Improved Forum and Topic Marking

- In-line Post Editing

- Improved RSS Import and Export

- DST (Daylight Saving Time) auto correction

- Full relative time option

You'll probably spot minor differences here and there--most of those changes aren't really worth mentioning here. But if you spot anything that looks out of whack or anything that's just plain broken, please send me a private message and I'll investigate right away. In particular I didn't do a lot of testing with Internet Explorer, and I have a feeling I will need to address some visual issues as far as Internet Explorer's rendering of pages goes.

If you have any comments on the forum upgrade, or questions about any of the new/changed features, please post them here.

Enjoy!

..Al

What about the 'mark all topics as read' option? Everything is marked unread now, so it´s hard to find out, what you already read.

Assuming you are viewing the Forum page (which lists all the topics in a forum), you can click on the orange Options button and then select one of these options:

- Mark forum as read and return

- Mark forum as read and return to board index

If you want to mark the entire forum as read, there is a link on the main index above the "Board Statistics" box.

..Al

Hit the "mark topics as read" right away and it won't be hard to catch up. Of course, I log on often enough so that I wouldn't have missed more than three or four posts anyway.

The PM option on a member's profile has moved, that'll cause some confusion for a couple days.

I noticed the members currently on line now displays by last movement instead of being alphabetical. I kind of like this feature, but it was weird at first seeing my name in a different place. This also the first time I have ever used a fast reply. Very convenient, Al. :)

Searching a word and being able to filter by a members name is a God send. You have no idea how happy this makes me. :D

I noticed the members currently on line now displays by last movement instead of being alphabetical. I kind of like this feature, but it was weird at first seeing my name in a different place.

This is something I am actually going to be changing soon. I personally prefer the list of active uers to be sorted alphabetically, but the default with the forum is to show the members in order of your "last click". I did change this with earlier version of the software we were using, but forgot to make this same "fix" with the new version. This is probably due to the fact that I was typically the only person logged into the forum while testing it, so I really didn't have much opportunity to notice that the names were no longer in alphabetical order.

This also the first time I have ever used a fast reply. Very convenient, Al. :)

I moved the Fast Reply box up a bit and made sure that it was always open by default.

Searching a word and being able to filter by a members name is a God send. You have no idea how happy this makes me. :D

The search options have not changed, although the search itself is probably more reliable overall. I know that using quotes to search for a phrase (such as "space treat deluxe") now works properly, and searches of this nature never worked before. So that makes me happy. :)

..Al

Nice job. I like the new forum a lot.

Is there anyway now to change the amount of private messages to archive? It still only allows you to do up to 50 at a time even though the storage capacity goes way beyond 50 PMs.

Allan

What do you have on here that is Active X? For security reasons, I have my PC setup to not allow any active x or plug-ins to run automatically, which means now I have to click 'yes' or 'no' when prompted, which is pretty much every single page. It's very annoying, and it wasn't like that before.

Is there anyway now to change the amount of private messages to archive? It still only allows you to do up to 50 at a time even though the storage capacity goes way beyond 50 PMs.

I'll look into this, I think the '50' amount is hardcoded somewhere in the source code, as there's definitely no option that allows me to easily increase this. Will add it to the list, it probably will not be difficult to change.

Thanks for the feedback!

..Al

What do you have on here that is Active X? For security reasons, I have my PC setup to not allow any active x or plug-ins to run automatically, which means now I have to click 'yes' or 'no' when prompted, which is pretty much every single page. It's very annoying, and it wasn't like that before.

Uhhrr, there should be no ActiveX or Plug-ins on any pages at all. There's some new Javascript on many of the pages (mainly for the pop-up menus), but that's it as far as I know. It's basically the same skin as before, with some changes to accomodate new features that were added. Does the prompt you're seeing give you any additional information about why it's popping up?

..Al

When sending a PM, can the options "Add a copy of this message to my sent items folder" and "Track this message?" become the default behavior, like they were before the switch to Invision? If not both of these options, could at least "Add a copy of this message to my sent items folder" be checked by default like it was prior to this upgrade?

Also there seems to be some added spacing between topics listed under "View New Posts". It makes the page substantially longer and is rather irritating.

And is there anyway to shrink the width of this reply box? It isn't 800 X 600 friendly.

Thanks.

When sending a PM, can the options "Add a copy of this message to my sent items folder" and "Track this message?" become the default behavior, like they were before the switch to Invision? If not both of these options, could at least "Add a copy of this message to my sent items folder" be checked by default like it was prior to this upgrade?

On the Board Settings page in My Controls, there are two new options to allow you to set these to the default behavior:

- Do you wish to put all sent PMs in your Sent folder by default?

- Do you wish to track all sent PMs by default?

Set these both to "Yes" and the checkboxes will be enabled each time you send a Private Message. I will change the "Add to Sent Folder" checkbox so it is enabled by default, however. I missed this when I was working on the forum skin.

Also there seems to be some added spacing between topics listed under "View New Posts". It makes the page substantially longer and is rather irritating.

What web browser are you using? Can you take a screenshot for me?

And is there anyway to shrink the width of this reply box? It isn't 800 X 600 friendly.

I think Invision made a conscious decision to format their skin for 1024x768. This could also explain why the "View New Posts" is longer (I'm guessing text in one or more of the columns is wrapping). I'll take a look into the editor width.

..Al

I've changed the maximum to 500 PMs. Please let me know how that works out for you.

..Al

On the Board Settings page in My Controls, there are two new options to allow you to set these to the default behavior:

- Do you wish to put all sent PMs in your Sent folder by default?

- Do you wish to track all sent PMs by default?

Set these both to "Yes" and the checkboxes will be enabled each time you send a Private Message. I will change the "Add to Sent Folder" checkbox so it is enabled by default, however. I missed this when I was working on the forum skin.

:thumbsup: Thanks.

What web browser are you using? Can you take a screenshot for me?

Safari. It's a very minor detail and I'm pretty much used to it already. In fact, I can't even remember what it looked like yesterday. :ponder:

The added spacing makes the page a bit longer than before, but it's not important. Here is a screenshot.

I just changed it so the width of the editor is based on the width of your browser window. How does it look now?

Perfect. You Rock!

Safari. It's a very minor detail and I'm pretty much used to it already. In fact, I can't even remember what it looked like yesterday. :ponder:

Ahh, Safari. I'll fire up Safari later and take a look. I pretty much run Firefox full-time, having gotten generally disgusted with Safari's bloat (especially if you leave it running a long time as I do). Looks like the column with the topic title is fairly small, causing the text in that cell to wrap and pushing down the length of the table. Will see if I can improve upon that.

..Al

Ahh, Safari. I'll fire up Safari later and take a look. I pretty much run Firefox full-time, having gotten generally disgusted with Safari's bloat (especially if you leave it running a long time as I do). Looks like the column with the topic title is fairly small, causing the text in that cell to wrap and pushing down the length of the table. Will see if I can improve upon that.

..Al

This has been an ongoing problem using these boards with Safari. While it's not nearly as pronounced as before, there's still a lot of empty space showing up at the bottom of certain pages.

..Al

If Firefox would just allow me to open new windows in the background, I'd switch. I've just gotten used to opening windows in the background and using Expose to switch between them.

Edited by Christophero Sly

I just came back to the site after having cleared my cookies. (I only meant to clear them on my own site, because I was testing some new code, but I clicked the wrong button and cleared them all! :x )

When you're not logged in, the username and password fields appear where the search form is when you're logged in, but the button still says "Search" instead of "Log In." It worked properly, but it was confusing because of the label on the button.

I've changed the maximum to 500 PMs. Please let me know how that works out for you.

..Al

Seems to work great!

Thanks Albert.

Allan

The "Fast Reply" button isn't working properly now that the Fast Reply form is visible by default. The button is still toggling the visibility. The effect is that clicking the button just causes the form (which, typically, is off the bottom edge of the browser window anyway) to disappear. I think now that it's open by default, the "Fast Reply" button should just be an internal anchor link to jump down to the form.