IGNORED

Forum Software Upgrade

Albert

How do you find the time? This is the third forum upgrade in a year, isn't it? Wow. Thanks, Al!

This has only been the second major upgrade in a year. Back in April of last year was when the forum was moved from phpBB to Invision, and that was a pretty big change (much larger than this last one). Still, this upgrade was a lot of work since Invision changed quite a bit under the hood, and the forum had to be reskinned from scratch (which was the bulk of the work, by far). The last major upgrade before that was when we went from UBB to phpBB, which I think we were running for a full two years. There have been various minor upgrades along the way, but mostly those are bug fixes and security patches and are pretty easy to slip into place without any disruptions.

..Al

When sending a PM, can the options "Add a copy of this message to my sent items folder" and "Track this message?" become the default behavior, like they were before the switch to Invision? If not both of these options, could at least "Add a copy of this message to my sent items folder" be checked by default like it was prior to this upgrade?

I updated everyone's accounts so the "Add a copy of this message to my sent items folder" option is now selected by default. Also, new users who sign up will have this enabled by default as well.

..Al

Where exactly did you see this so I can remove it?

Thanks,

..Al

Al,

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showuser=5114

Third line from the bottom on the left side; "Birthday: 1 October 0"

Presumably this is because I didn't enter the year when I entered my birthday. Under the old system it simply didn't show a year at all. Silly detail, granted.

Thanks!

Jacob

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showuser=5114

Third line from the bottom on the left side; "Birthday: 1 October 0"

Presumably this is because I didn't enter the year when I entered my birthday. Under the old system it simply didn't show a year at all. Silly detail, granted.

Thanks!

Jacob

Not silly, just a detail I missed when migrating the skin. I can fix that easily enough. :)

Thanks!

..Al

• 2 weeks later...

Hey I get an ERROR 403: ACCESS FORBIDDEN

When I try to "add reply" to the forums. WHats strange is I can still do a "fast reply", but just not the regular "add reply"..

I only ever use the 8-bit forums so I wouldnt know if its a forum-specific, or site-wide problem... Or it could just be specific to my account.

At any rate, could you please check into this problem and fix it if possible?

I also get the same error when I try to send private messages.

Trying to view Blog entries results into storage errors.

Something is definitely broken here. Memory problems?

The problem was related to running out of disk space on the volume used to store PHP sessions. When this happens, new sessions can't be written to disk, and this will generally prevent people from sending new PMs and post new messages. I have fixed the problem, and will be taking steps today to ensure that this never happens again. Sorry for the inconvenience. Glad I woke up early today (7am on a Sunday!)

..Al

Oddity:

I tried posting an attachment earlier and got the 403 screen during the preview. Closed the window.

Just posted it now in a new window...and after posting, I noticed that the earlier attachment was already there!

Didn't trust it tho, so I edited it off.

Oddity:

I tried posting an attachment earlier and got the 403 screen during the preview. Closed the window.

Just posted it now in a new window...and after posting, I noticed that the earlier attachment was already there!

Didn't trust it tho, so I edited it off.

The attachment would have been stored in a file system that has plenty of space. So it uploaded fine, and then the message could not be posted so you received the 403 error.

..Al

I think I found another couple of bugs, they're all related though. The "Blog Visit" counters are counting wrong in numerous ways:

- It only counts when going to a blog as a whole, but not when going straight to an entry or comment, which should be registered as a blog visit as well.

- If you browse back and forth through a blog via the "pages" navigation, it counts for every klick, while it should only register 1 visit.

- Finally *my* blog registers *my* visits, which is also a bit nonsense, as I'm no visitor. Especially if I edit an entry 5 times it registers 5 extra visits :ponder:

In that context, is the blog indexing for search engine crawlers/spiders enabled now? I think most AA bloggers would appreciate it, if the content they produce was "findable" from outside the AA circles as well :)

I think I found another couple of bugs, they're all related though. The "Blog Visit" counters are counting wrong in numerous ways:

- It only counts when going to a blog as a whole, but not when going straight to an entry or comment, which should be registered as a blog visit as well.

That seems poor, I agree that viewing an entry or comment should be counted as a blog visit. I'll verify this myself and submit a bug.

- If you browse back and forth through a blog via the "pages" navigation, it counts for every klick, while it should only register 1 visit.

I think this is how the forums behave also. It's not really keeping track of unique "visits', just page views, so it's accurate in that respect.

- Finally *my* blog registers *my* visits, which is also a bit nonsense, as I'm no visitor. Especially if I edit an entry 5 times it registers 5 extra visits :ponder:

Again, this is how topics in the forums behave and is fine as far as I'm concerned. If you start a new topic and then view it yourself, you'll see the view counter has increased. It's not keeping track of visits, just views.

In that context, is the blog indexing for search engine crawlers/spiders enabled now? I think most AA bloggers would appreciate it, if the content they produce was "findable" from outside the AA circles as well :)

I agree and just updated the robots.txt to allow search engines to crawl the blogs (I meant to do this when I upgraded the software, but forgot and I'm glad your reminded me). Any new blog postings since the forum upgrade have found their way into Google because of the "Member Blogs" forum, so they already have a bit of increased exposure, but once the search engine spiders walk through the blogs that should be increased significantly.

..Al

That seems poor, I agree that viewing an entry or comment should be counted as a blog visit. I'll verify this myself and submit a bug.

Cool, thanks!

I think this is how the forums behave also. It's not really keeping track of unique "visits', just page views, so it's accurate in that respect.

Aha, ok. If that is the defined behaviour, I can confirm it's working like that :)

I agree and just updated the robots.txt to allow search engines to crawl the blogs (I meant to do this when I upgraded the software, but forgot and I'm glad your reminded me). Any new blog postings since the forum upgrade have found their way into Google because of the "Member Blogs" forum, so they already have a bit of increased exposure, but once the search engine spiders walk through the blogs that should be increased significantly.

Thanks again!

Cool, thanks!

I submitted a bug, so hopefully they'll fix it (the blog author did fix several other bugs I reported, so I'm anxiously awaiting the next version). That is, if it wasn't intentionally designed this way.

..Al

Here's another one:

A pinned poll should say "poll" instead of "pinned", as it's rather obvious that it's pinned, thus making the info that it's a poll is more important than that it's pinned. :twisted:

BTW: I liked the old poll editor a lot better, as you could just copy & paste all options into a single edit field, while now you're forced to copy each string separately.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there!

Works excellent! Querying "Planet Bob" in Google already lists my blog on the first page! :)

• 2 weeks later...