IGNORED

NEW MIO production run.

MEtalGuy66

Well, for all the owneres of original ICD MIOs out there who want to "upgrade" them to match the specs of the new one, here is the upgrade instructions..

This works the same on either a 1meg or 256k MIO, and upgrades it to 1meg, with the possibility of using the planned future expansions (eg. 16meg SIMM, VGA, etc.) In fact, once this upgrade is installed, your MIO will be electrically equivelant to the new MIO boards.. Anyone who finds any errors/problems with this should contact me immediately so I can correct/resolve the issue.

MIO21MEG.jpg

And here is the Service Manual:

MIO SERVICE MANUAL Ver. 2.0

I am still working on the PHI2 section.. It will be released when Im done.

Anywayze... There ya go... Enjoy..

Hey MG, the link to the upgrade doc and the link in your sig arent working. I know you moved domains a while back..whats the new location of this doc?

• 2 weeks later...
Success! (somewhat)

Using the new MIO 1.4b2 firmware, I got a Seagate ST32430N (2.1gb) drive to work. This Seagate drive was actually manufactured for Apple. I didn't do a LL format on it... just the HDFMTDIR. Made 2 65535 sector partitions. Was able to save the MIO cfg (option 4) to sector 0 of the HD.

This is the first drive I have gotten this far with... fingers are crossed! I am copying files to it now...

Using SDX 4.42 and COPY /R A: C: the copy appears to go fine until some distance into it, the HD flashes once and everything stops.

Any ideas?

Tried another one tonight - an ST31055N (1 gb). It behaved exactly the same as the one above. As soon as I start copying files to it, after 3 or 5 or 25 files, it locks up completely - MIO activity light on constant.

Today's tests were done with a new SCSI cable (MIO->Drive).

For my next number, I have decided to pull out my 1 meg MIO and try that one instead of the 256k unit. I am beginning to think that these last 2 drives are so close to working that maybe the problem is in the MIO although it works fine on my old setup with the 1.1 roms.

Who nose?

Ok.. Whoever JGS Enterprises is, I need you to verify your shipping adress one more time.. Sorry for the inconvenience, but my life has been a tad bit disorganized as of late..

Everyone else that I owe anything to: It's getting shipped today.. Fedex home delivery.. You should get an email with tracking number..

Pontus Oldberg: yours is going USPS Priority First Class International...

post-8775-1237914760_thumb.jpg

Is that the latest Blackened Technologies catalog? :D

tjb

Naah. Blackened was just the name of my old website that I used to use for tracking the projects that I was involved in..

We don't really operate under any "group name" these days, but you may have seen the name "Steel Rodent Technologies" branded on some publications (Jokingly) referring to projects that Warerat and I have collaborated on recently.

As far as I'm concerned, the MIO still is, and alwayse will be an ICD product. We have gone to great pains to produce the most faithful representation of the original design (parts availability permitting)in our production unit... All enhanced and future versions of the firmware will still bear the ICD name in the title of the MENU screens. This is as much a tribute to the orginal designers, as an effort to retain authenticity/collectability in the case that one of our boards is used as a replacement in an original ICD MIO unit..

I found the 1989/1990 ICD atari products catalog when I was looking through some old stuff the other day... I figured I'd scan the MIO page and upload it in case any MIO owners wanted it for nostalgia or to show people how it was originally sold/marketed...

Success! (somewhat)

Using the new MIO 1.4b2 firmware, I got a Seagate ST32430N (2.1gb) drive to work. This Seagate drive was actually manufactured for Apple. I didn't do a LL format on it... just the HDFMTDIR. Made 2 65535 sector partitions. Was able to save the MIO cfg (option 4) to sector 0 of the HD.

This is the first drive I have gotten this far with... fingers are crossed! I am copying files to it now...

Using SDX 4.42 and COPY /R A: C: the copy appears to go fine until some distance into it, the HD flashes once and everything stops.

Any ideas?

Tried another one tonight - an ST31055N (1 gb). It behaved exactly the same as the one above. As soon as I start copying files to it, after 3 or 5 or 25 files, it locks up completely - MIO activity light on constant.

Today's tests were done with a new SCSI cable (MIO->Drive).

For my next number, I have decided to pull out my 1 meg MIO and try that one instead of the 256k unit. I am beginning to think that these last 2 drives are so close to working that maybe the problem is in the MIO although it works fine on my old setup with the 1.1 roms.

Who nose?

1 Meg MIO = Same situation (although the copy process seems to last longer when using the 1 megger - I actually thought it was going to work). Only thing left to change now is the machine - I'll try a stock XL or XE next.

Well, I'm ready to build some more MIOs.. The MIO prices are going up to include my labor now ($10/hr), which will be re-invested into parts restocking.. I've thought long and hard about the pricing, and the reality is that if I keep selling them at cost, I will run out of quite a few very expensive parts very soon, and wont be able to build any more...

Anyone who knows me knows that I totally hate the idea of gouging the atari community for profits, so I am making every possible effort to keep the price as low as possible.. Each of you guys is much more valuable to me as an active member of the "MIO user base" than as a "paying customer". My vision of how the ATARI community works (or should ideally) is that hardware guys should keep their prices as low as possible, in order to get the equipment into the hands of the users.. This is the only way to ensure sizable bases of common hardware for the "software guys" to support in their coding.. The guys who write code for the ATARI these days, and tirelessly develop it to the amazing standards that we see so often, are absolutely awesome.. They are donating their time, and taking nothing in return.. If hardware guys try to "get paid" for all of their production time, let alone development time, they look like total shmucks by comparisson.. Unfortunately, we do have things like parts/materials costs.. And these costs are often dependant on things like order volumes, etc.. So to keep build quality high and prices at a minimum, while still operating on a relatively small scale "shoe-string budget" so to speak, there are some hard realities that limit how cheaply we can sell items without going further "in the red" than our personal pocket-books can compensate for.

Right now, Warerat and I are sinking money into development/prototyping of a new product that you guys are going to love. And we're gonna bring it to you at a damn reasonable price. I'm not saying any more about it until it's ready for production. So it's pretty important that the MIO project is self-sustaining from a financial standpoint. Warerat is also working on the cad design for the production version of his 576k XE compatability board for the 800. I am building MIOs and doing various upgrades & repairs for people.

So here are the new prices in US Dollars:

MIOs

$300.00 Fully Assembled/Tested MIO with Black Case.

$275.00 Fully Assembled/Tested MIO board with no case.

$225.00 Fully Assembled/Tested MIO board less case and chips (empty sockets installed).

MIO Upgrades

$30.00 Upgrade your working 256k ICD MIO to 1meg by installing additional ZIPP RAMs and 1meg Firmware.

$100.00 Upgrade your working ICD MIO to new MIO standard by building/installing SIMM adaptor board and 1meg Firmware.

MIO Repairs

$30.00 + parts

Shipping Costs

$15.00 FedEX home delivery (within continental US) Insured to value of a new MIO.

$20.00 USPS First Class International (insurance is NOT included, but IS reccomended).

This is for the MIO above in the picture.. Not all MIOs need this, so dont anyone else assume this should be done on their MIO without first consulting me or WareRat or someone who REALLY knows their shit.

STANDARD DISCLAIMER: You blow it, it's your fault.. not mine... Attempting the procedures below = agreeing to this.

New Phase Locked Loop IC

Remove VR2 and install a jumper wire from the pad closest to the RAM to pin 7 or 8 of J7...

Replace the Phase Locked Loop (U19) with a 74HC4046N. This is a 5v part with tighter timing tolerances.

Get rid of the tuning cap on CV1, and replace it with a 136pF fixed ceramic cap (or two 68pf in paralell)....

Make sure C17 is a 22pF cap.. If not, replace..

Optional: Remove D1, D6, C42, and C43... No need for a voltage doubler anymore..

Dampning/Filter caps for PHI2, Rom select, etc.

Install a 68pf cap from pin 6 to pin 8 of U4, and a second 68pf cap from pin 6 to pin 7 of U5.

DRAM/stability Fix

http://home.earthlink.net/~kjones66/images/MIO21MEG.jpg

DRAM/stability Fix link is dead --->http://home.earthlink.net/~kjones66/images/MIO21MEG.jpg

Ken, making a profit is not gouging. You are doing some amazing work, and you should make money off of it. Gouging is when you arbitrarily raise the price on an essential good that you have a local monopoly on. But, you are not arbitrarily raising the price, and it's not an essential good ( well, ... ). You don't even really have a monopoly on it; there's one on ebay right now.

People who think there is something wrong with reasonable profit don't understand how things actually work.

Ken just finished some work for me including fixing an XE board that I screwed up with some bad solder joints. :ponder:

His work for me was terrific and it looks like it just came from the factory!

My only "complaint" is that he doesn't charge enough to properly compensate himself for the time he spends on our equipment.

-Larry

Ok. My webpage is back up, thanks to James at http://www.e-host-direct.com

I also fixed the infamous IE7 "frame target in head/body" problem, so now the site works with IE7 correctly...

The content is outdated as hell, but I will be working on it in the next few days to get everything up to date...

Edited by MEtalGuy66

After flogging my (ICD) MIO nearly all day, I have a working setup that fits on my computer desk (which has very limited free space). I found an "old" CD-Rom external case with a good PS in it, and the drive spins right up. My only complaint is that the case has a small (maybe 50 mm?) fan that is pretty noisy. Maybe I can find a quieter one next time I'm at FRY's.

For temporary use, I'm using 1.4b with a ST-157N, half-height, SCSI drive. This 157N never worked with the original 1.1 firmware, but took right off with the first of Warerat's patched OS. (after I did a 512-byte/sector low-level format with the Black Box.)

I've used the Black Box for so long, I've going to need to re-learn the MIO, but so far, so good.

-Larry

Kewl Setup Larry.. What Capture card are you using?

Ok. Heres the list so far:

Bf2K+

Defender II

Spookt

When I get yours done, I PM you, you paypal me the money, and I ship it. If you're gonna send me a check, you may want to do it in advance because I dont ship until it clears.

The Atari should boot up with MIO turned on and no hard drive connected. you should be able to get in as well as config the mio's ramdisks and then you can treat em just like real drives setting your dos boot images, copy from real drives or from ape to the ramdisk(s) then swap the ram disk(s) to drive 1 etc.

You should be able to boot right off the MIO from that point on so long as you do not turn the MIO off or loose power to the MIO.

Quick question: Does the MIO need to be connected to a harddrive before the computer will boot. Or can I use the MIO without a hard drive attached.

Mine is not allowing atari to boot with MIO attached.

Quick question: Does the MIO need to be connected to a harddrive before the computer will boot. Or can I use the MIO without a hard drive attached.

Mine is not allowing atari to boot with MIO attached.

The MIO has to be on before you turn on the atari.

Otherwise, the atari will hang on power-up.