IGNORED

Diablo-look a like possible on A8?

Dynamic character generation might be the way to go.

That's the method I'm using in Impossible Mission.

Have 9 characters allotted per sprite. Then merge background data with pre-shifted sprite data into those characters.

If a background merge isn't needed, it's fairly fast to dynamically just copy 9x8=72 bytes across.

but assuming

2x3 chars per monster = 6 = +3+3 buffer = 12

12*8*4 for pixlemovement in x+y direction = 384 chars

alone for 1 monstertype (eh... we have only 128... ;))

for free pixel positioning...

but in bulimia they move only in x or y direction but not in both at the same time... so we could have

9*4+8*8= 100 chars for 1 monstertype.

by 2 pixel vertical movement

9*4+8*4 = 68

still a lot... or am i wrong here?

Yeah, it is alot. For my RPG game, I am using 2x2 tiles for monsters and 1x1 and 1x2 tiles for items. I decided to make use of half the characters for background and half for the monsters on screen.

So 128/2 = 64 characters / 4 chars-per-monster = 16.

16 different TYPES of monsters/players on screen at a time. Each can be animated differently by changing the characters, but I opted, for now, to just have them snap to a character position to make it faster.

Up to 64 different 1x1 items on screen or 32 1x2 items.

Each monster and item is represented as a certain character, so classes of the same monsters show up as the same character(s) on screen. But, I am using PM overlays to turn items/monsters 4 different colors: white, red, green, blue, and the fifth color is yellow...

Items/monsters only become colorized as you approach them and get closer, so you are unsure if you are approaching a green dragon or a red dragon.. makes it more interesting! (and it is easier on the hardware). Anyway, so now you can have 16 different monsters and they can be all the same monster but 4 or 5 different colors (or strengths).

I was thinking of allowing more monsters on screen( greater than 16). In this case you do not update each monster character set (2x2 = 4 chars) for movement animation. You just keep them static, so that as more things show up on screen, the more jerky they move, but I think this is okay since you can rotate through a simple set of character sets for a simple animation... like when you stop moving your character in a video game, they move a little on screen to let you know they are still there and "pull" you back into the game.

I hope that this helps a little in the decision making...

just to get it right...

i assume you use all 4 players for underlays...all in size 3 and they are all put in the middle of the screen...so when monsters approach you they get colourised?

like the player light cube in haunted house?

Kinda of. I might change the code to do it as you mentioned. But, currently I am using Priority 0, color overlays with players 0 and 1 (or was it 2 and 3... need to go back and look at the code).

Yes, they are set to size 3 and set to create a third color. I have it setup so that one PM is red, and one blue. They are or'ed to create green. Then in priority 0 mode, they are or'ed again with the character font for 3 levels of brightness.

This makes for a small area where the monsters and background can have 4 colors (red, green, blue, white) and 3 levels of brightness for each color... so each character in this area has 4*3 + 1 + 1 (for 5th color) = 14 colors.

Of course it is a small area, eight characters by any height. It is currently set to be a 8x16 character area.

It is not just in the center of the screen either... it follows your player.

Where is haunted house? I would like to see how this is done there...

Edited by Cybernoid

hehehe... what about this introduction taken from german thrash metal band...

"The end is near...lucifer's legion of death are ready for attack...they have got only one aim... TOTAL DESTRUCTION"...

i am really in diablo mode... as more as i think of...blizzard was really in evil mode... ;)

yup. got it... i have to set colours to $x0

but i can not reproduce the green... hmmm... have to play around... the idea is not bad...

can you send me your font for testing? so at the moment i am using or try to use the c64 gauntlet font but its a pain... ;) thanks a lot...

(every Slayer Song from the 80s is a potential name bringer... Evil has no boundaries, show no mercy, the antichrist, black magic, die by the sword and more...)

yup. got it... i have to set colours to $x0

but i can not reproduce the green... hmmm... have to play around... the idea is not bad...

can you send me your font for testing? so at the moment i am using or try to use the c64 gauntlet font but its a pain... ;) thanks a lot...

(every Slayer Song from the 80s is a potential name bringer... Evil has no boundaries, show no mercy, the antichrist, black magic, die by the sword and more...)

Now that the world has not ended, you are thinking of the Slayer RPG. hehehe ;)

Set player 0 color to 0x30 (red), set player 1 color to 0x80 (blue) and set bit 5 of 0x26f (or 0xd01b GTIA). I think I used players 2 and 3 instead, they interact with playfield 2 and 3 and use playfield 1 set to black to go over the overlay (so this is a mixture of overlay, underlay but looks cool...

Edited by Cybernoid

well... i am just listening to the first two slayer masterpieces show no mercy and live undead... holy shit are they great and put you into the mood for diablo... ;) anybody else here "on slayer"?

Oh yeah... used to listen to Slayer and play Doom back in the day!

bit 5 does toggle the gtia mode of the prior register? are you sure?

Huh? I was just using bit 5 so that I can get green... player 0 = 0x30, player 1 = 0x80 player1|player0 = 0xb0.

Bit 5 = 1: Overlap of players 0 and 1, 2 and 3 is third color (else
 overlap is black). The resulting color is a logical OR of the two
 player colors.

ehm... maybe i am too drunk with all the wine... but

bit 0 = 1

bit 1 = 2

bit 2 = 4

bit 3= 8

bit 4 = 16

bit 5 = 32

ok... should not drink to much while coding... found a bug where i havent written gfx data into player 2...of course it could not change into green then... ;)

Reason I mention about the randomness is for 'teasure' or 'score' to mean something you cant have stuff reappear in the same place - otherwise folks can go hoarding to get a 'score' -

You thinking about increasing the difficulty of encounter based upon experience - that way as characters get more exp the fights and challenges get harder and possibly the treasure greater?