IGNORED

Diablo-look a like possible on A8?

does diablo move monsters

a) in visible area (yes)

b) non visible areas?

so... are they moving towards to you even you can not see them?

If I'm not playing Oblivion atm, I should install DIABLO again, so I can tell you :-)

If I remind correctly, the Enemies move toward you, even if they are not seen, but only in a specified range.

have to check it on my own but sometimes its good to have others checking as well... ;) so no misinterpretation...

i have to check c64 gauntlet as well ...

btw. while you are playing oblivion i know why you are talking about 3d... ;)

Vice versa ;-)

I'm playing Oblivion, because it's 3D.

Remembering "Encounter" : The Area is built by pillars that reflect shots and stop the ship's movement. It's "simple" and not really outpowering the A8, but really fast 3d action and some days older than Oblivion.

;-)

just checked gauntlet 1 on c64...

the monsters are attacking and heading towards you only if there are in sight... so...when you are in an area with a generator they are released but when you move back and the enemies out of sight they stay on their position...

i thought that they are calculating them virtually and just display them when they are on screen but internally moving them...

so again no reason why the atari version is so slow. have to check the atari version if its there the same.

the resolution is 40x50. With a CPU consuming software, the standard Textmode of the VIC is doubled to have those 50 lines instead of 25 lines.

For 80x50 you'd need software to create the gfx mode (it's not THAT time consuming though), but for 40x50 the VIC can display it straight on. Just go to bitmap mode and use 2 of the 3 colors per color cell as "pixels".

Also, even 80x50 is a real crap resolution too... I'd prefer a 160x200 2D towards a 80x50 3D any day.

the resolution is 40x50. With a CPU consuming software, the standard Textmode of the VIC is doubled to have those 50 lines instead of 25 lines.

For 80x50 you'd need software to create the gfx mode (it's not THAT time consuming though), but for 40x50 the VIC can display it straight on. Just go to bitmap mode and use 2 of the 3 colors per color cell as "pixels".

Also, even 80x50 is a real crap resolution too... I'd prefer a 160x200 2D towards a 80x50 3D any day.

Referring to some ATARI Freaks, every used cycle is a lost cycle ;-)

If you want to have independent pixels with "your" suggestion, you have to build a filtering routine. And... LDA STA uses 6 cycles ;-)

Using this 80x60 mode takes linear 1200 bytes to handle. The PRIOR Register does 50% of the needed work.

Well.... imagining a XL/XE or C64 on today TVs.... sitting 3 meters before the screen... always ends up in "ahh.... this means this and this means that".... because mostly the moved Objects are too small.

The bad thing is, that we don't have a comparision, how it would look in an finished game, when using ANTIC's and GTIA's features to have fullscreen 3D with big pixels and higher resolutions where needed.

i am just do some experiments with venus' level generator which might be the one to expand and adapt for the game...

attachted a screenshot. each pixel is a char or a tile. this could be fun. the game draws the levels, puts the monsters on the map + treassures. then the level up and level down steps like in Hack. what do you think?

i think this could be the "diablo" way to go...

here is the Turbo Basic Source, the 8x8 pixel stamp could be adapted. this is a streight basic conversion from Aleksi Eben's generator used in Venus Game. The random subroutine generators a predeterminated random numbers so each level can be later regenerated by same seed values.

0 TRAP 3
1 OPEN #1,4,0,"H2:RANDOM.OBX"
2 BGET #1,$0600-6,1024
3 CLOSE #1
5 INPUT LEVEL

30 GRAPHICS 7+16
35 POKE 712,15:POKE 708,0
40 POKE $061E,LEVEL
50 POKE $061F,PEEK($C000+LEVEL)
60 POKE $0620,PEEK($C100+LEVEL)
65 X=79:Y=47
70 CAVES=$0500
75 CAVELEN=$52
76 D=2:REM GO# CAVESTART
100 # NEXTCAVE
110 EXEC RANDOM
120 RR=RR&$03
130 CAVELEN=RR
140 EXEC RANDOM
150 D=RR&$03
151 # CAVESTART
160 IF D=0 THEN DX=-1:DY=0
170 IF D=1 THEN DX=1:DY=0
180 IF D=2 THEN DX=0:DY=-1
190 IF D=3 THEN DX=0:DY=1
195 # CAVEON
210 EXEC ROUND
220 Y=Y+1
225 FOR II=0 TO 6
230   FOR I=6 TO 0 STEP -1
235	 TRAP 250
240	 PLOT X+I,Y
250   NEXT I
260   Y=Y+1
270 NEXT II
280 EXEC ROUND
290 Y=Y-8
295 X=X+DX:Y=Y+DY
300 CAVELEN=CAVELEN-1
310 IF CAVELEN>=0 THEN GO# CAVEON
340 CAVES=CAVES-1
350 IF CAVES>=0 THEN GO# NEXTCAVE
999 END 
1000 PROC RANDOM
1010   A=USR($0600):RR=PEEK($061E)
1020 ENDPROC 
1100 PROC ROUND
1110   FOR I=1 TO 5
1115	 XX=X+I
1116	 IF XX<0 OR XX>159 OR Y<0 OR Y>95 THEN 1130
1120	 PLOT X+I,Y
1130   NEXT I
1140 ENDPROC 

org $0600
Random
	pla
	inc	 rnd2
	lda	 rnd2
	clc
	adc	 rnd1
	adc	 rnd2
	sta	 rnd1
	eor	 rnd2
	sta	 rnd2
	sbc	 rnd0
	sta	 rnd0
	rts
rnd0	dta 0
rnd1	dta 0
rnd2	dta 0

post-528-1150045281_thumb.png

this one is faster

0 TRAP 3
1 OPEN #1,4,0,"H2:RANDOM.OBX"
2 BGET #1,$0600-6,1024
3 CLOSE #1
5 INPUT LEVEL
30 GRAPHICS 8+16
31 COLOR 1:PAINT 0,0
35 POKE 712,15:POKE 708,0
40 POKE $061E,LEVEL
50 POKE $061F,PEEK($C000+LEVEL)
60 POKE $0620,PEEK($C100+LEVEL)
65 X=160:Y=96
70 CAVES=$0500
75 CAVELEN=$52
76 D=2:REM GO# CAVESTART
100 # NEXTCAVE
110 EXEC RANDOM
120 RR=RR&$03
130 CAVELEN=RR
140 EXEC RANDOM
150 D=RR&$03
151 # CAVESTART
160 IF D=0 THEN DX=-1:DY=0
170 IF D=1 THEN DX=1:DY=0
180 IF D=2 THEN DX=0:DY=-1
190 IF D=3 THEN DX=0:DY=1
195 # CAVEON
222 TRAP 295
225 TEXT X,Y,"0"
295 X=X+DX:Y=Y+DY
300 CAVELEN=CAVELEN-1
310 IF CAVELEN>=0 THEN GO# CAVEON
340 CAVES=CAVES-1
350 IF CAVES>=0 THEN GO# NEXTCAVE
998 DO :LOOP 
999 END 
1000 PROC RANDOM
1010   A=USR($0600):RR=PEEK($061E)
1020 ENDPROC 
1100 PROC ROUND
1105   TRAP 1120
1110   TEXT X,Y," "
1120 ENDPROC 

the stamp is here the TEXT X,Y," "

which is faster as the for,next stuff from the last...

here is the turbo basic file attachted as ATR. boot the disc and when you are in the interpreter just type LOAD"D:LEVGEN3.TUB

and type RUN.

after that its good to speed up the emulator by pressing F7 to run in fullspeed.

you can see i have choosen now a 4x4 stamp to draw the caves. the level is choosen randomly and the dungeon gets bigger by the formular "caves=$0400+level*4"

caves is the amount how many stamps are set. now imagine that we will put randomly treasure & monsters. you always start from a fix position in each level which is determined by the stairs.

now imagine that the level generator is not drawing a bitmap but instead a bitfield where each bit represents a 2x2 antic 4 tile which the visual engine takes later in the game for generating an attractive dungeon...

just ideas.

TBASIC.zip

here is the turbo basic file attachted as ATR. boot the disc and when you are in the interpreter just type LOAD"D:LEVGEN3.TUB

and type RUN.

after that its good to speed up the emulator by pressing F7 to run in fullspeed.

you can see i have choosen now a 4x4 stamp to draw the caves. the level is choosen randomly and the dungeon gets bigger by the formular "caves=$0400+level*4"

caves is the amount how many stamps are set. now imagine that we will put randomly treasure & monsters. you always start from a fix position in each level which is determined by the stairs.

now imagine that the level generator is not drawing a bitmap but instead a bitfield where each bit represents a 2x2 antic 4 tile which the visual engine takes later in the game for generating an attractive dungeon...

just ideas.

The generator doesn't work for me, it draws just a straight line in the middle of the white rectangle.

Btw. are you planning to include a town with shops and NPCs? And how about savepoints?

The generator doesn't work for me, it draws just a straight line in the middle of the white rectangle.

Btw. are you planning to include a town with shops and NPCs? And how about savepoints?

Same for me. Do we need file RANDOM.OBX file on H2, as it is seen in the listing?

yes, guys... sorry. i forgot to upload the random.obx which generates the data for the maps.

i'll gonna upload the new listing tonight right when italy will loose their first game... ;)

in meantime you can delete the lines 1-3 and replace line 1010 with

1010 A=RAND(255)

to get a feeling for it... of course this will not generate the same dungeon every time you run the same level. (that's what the random-routine is for...)

at the moment i do not plan to have a shop (but maybe a dealer where you can actually sell stuff but not buy...) or NPCs as keep it as simple as you can at the beginning...

first we have to finalise the rules, then the dungeon creator, gfx engine and monster engine etc... so many "fundamentals" first before we include such things... ;)

Come on, Italy will not loose :)

One question. Does compiled Turbo BASIC program work on DOS-es (f.e. SpartaDOS...) other than DOS 2.0, DOS 2.5? I read XIO commands differ from DOS to DOS. How does this apply to TBXL commands in different environments? I didn't try it yet, so the hint would be of great value ;)

oh... cybernoid you are right, thanks PG for the gfx...

so... let me explain what i want to do...

the level bitmap gfx which Cybernoid attachted. this bitmap can now be converted to a tile based antic 4 screen. so the bitmap is just an internal representation of the dungeon. so the game will NOT look like this. just for the non-coders here...

I added some code to your random level generator to create long halls between open caves. This way the map will not be one big cave, but instead smaller caves connected with halls...

152 IF CNT>0 THEN CNT=CNT-1:GO# CAVEON
153 HALL=RAND(128)
154 IF HALL=127 THEN CNT=RAND(16)+16

post-4398-1150141781_thumb.png

btw. is Turbo Basic XL not good for rapid development? i love it...do not know why you guys go with c or action... ;)

I agree. Provide me with C code for this, and I will compile it with CC65. :)

Also, Diablo does have some rooms and doors. I remember the "butcher" level where the butcher was in the room in the center. Had to be careful how you killed him.

So, I don't think it should be an open dungeon. It should be segmented a bit.

--C--

another experiment...

load levgen5.tub

the cavelen is set to 128 stamps so the dungeon is drew quickly. after that you can move around a small square to define which area of the map should be converted to 2x2 tiles. when you have set your segment then press fire and soon the stuff is converted.... so hope this helps what my ideas are how the mapper does precalculation later in the game (remember Diablo on playstation1 when the level is being generated at the beginning). the gfx engine will do the conversion on the fly like in Boinxx or every other tile based game. i dont want to spend a lot of RAM like in venus where i used the complete $2000-$cfff for the map.

so imho the tile set needs to be designed well so dungeon will be looking good even its just made out of a monochrome pixel map. the good thing...once we have the map in bitmap form we easily can create a small radar... ;)

TBASIC.zip