IGNORED

5200 DK versus 7800 DK

Paranoid

Well of course the arcade is best silly! That's what the home versions are based on.

I've come to the conclusion that the idea that the arcade version is the "best" is kind of subjective. I forget who, but someone here says they prefer the Starpath version of Frogger to all others, including the arcade. I didn't understand that at first... but, now I think I actually prefer the 5200/8-bit version of Donkey Kong to any other, including the arcade. It isn't just a port or adaption of the original, in many ways, it is an improvement (although the pie level is INSANELY hard), IMO. The 5200 version is faster paced, more frentic, and requires much more adaptive strategies. Sometimes you NEED to grab the hammer, or take a different ladder, or do things that would just be FOOLISH in the arcade version. It makes the game more enjoyable, more challenging, and more interesting.

Deffintly 5200 version i like the controller and the level lay out better true the graphics wern't as good as the 7800 one but still the sound was better then the 7800 one and id rather have a smoother game with better gameplay/sound then graphics any day

I'd say, on average, 95% of the time, I prefer the atari 2600/5200 home version of the arcade game to the real thing. Strangely, I feel, the reason for this is economics. Arcade games are designed to do two things : hook you in, then take your money. So, to hook you in, they develop a great gameplay concept. To take your money, they make the game so hard it kicks your ass. I like -enjoying- playing video games, not consternated efforts of pain (in general, some games I'll tolerate the suffering for, but thats another story.) Home games, on the other hand, already have your money, so they have less of a need to kick you in the mean bean machine. This is why I will always prefer most 2600 /etc games to the arcade, as they give me the gameplay goodness of the arcade without the boot in my junk.

Sadly, as arcades have died and home consoles can run emued or straight ports of arcade games directly, this distillation of arcade game play goodness minus the steel toed boot to the family jewels has become a faded memory of a distant era of gaming. Probably another reason why the 2600 will always hold up for me.

Edited by Godzilla

I'd say, on average, 95% of the time, I prefer the atari 2600/5200 home version of the arcade game to the real thing. Strangely, I feel, the reason for this is economics. Arcade games are designed to do two things : hook you in, then take your money. So, to hook you in, they develop a great gameplay concept. To take your money, they make the game so hard it kicks your ass. I like -enjoying- playing video games, not consternated efforts of pain (in general, some games I'll tolerate the suffering for, but thats another story.) Home games, on the other hand, already have your money, so they have less of a need to kick you in the mean bean machine. This is why I will always prefer most 2600 /etc games to the arcade, as they give me the gameplay goodness of the arcade without the boot in my junk.

Sadly, as arcades have died and home consoles can run emued or straight ports of arcade games directly, this distillation of arcade game play goodness minus the steel toed boot to the family jewels has become a faded memory of a distant era of gaming. Probably another reason why the 2600 will always hold up for me.

:rolling:

Not just because it is funny, but there is a certain truth to it.

Although... with a home arcade cabinet and an extra credit as easy as pushing a button... I find that my classic coin-op gaming abilities have improved significantly. Robotron is a title where I've become quite good at. The INITIAL learning curve on Robotron is steep, especially if you're pumping quarters into it in a public place and don't have 4 or 5 hours to kill one-on-one with the machine. But if you can get it alone like this, once you latch onto the rythm of the game, it becomes significantly easier... in fact, I find the 5200 and 7800 home versions ramp up in difficulty much different than the arcade, in this example, and that the higher levels may be significantly *harder* on the home consoles.

Xevious, Ms. Pac Man, Pac Man... all of these games... Armor Attack... Donkey Kong... Donkey Kong would be another example. The 5200 version seems FAR tougher than the arcade version. Now, on the other hand, Space Dungeon... I've dumped buckets and buckets of virtual quarters into my MAME cabinet, and I'm still not very good. The 5200 version is far more enjoyable because you can actually afford to EXPLORE the "dungeons". Qix also falls into this category, IMO.

I *do*, for whatever reason, turn on the consoles far more often when I'm playing for personal enjoyment. I turn on the MAME cabinet when I have company over.

I have not played the 5200 version but I have played the 8-bit version. If the 7800 had a Pokey (or just better TIA sounds - they should've used the 2600 version sounds at least) it would be superior but I can't play that game unless I mute the TV. So I'd go with the 8-bit version (which I'm guessing is similar to the 5200 version - although the 8-bit would probably have better control)

I was never an arcade fan of DK - I got the 8bit version and liked it. Once emu's came into the scene I palyed it again and couldnt believe how much I loved the game. The flow and control was really fun!

Once I got MAME rolling I played the arcade and wondered what the hell happened to the 'fun'!

Landon did a great job making DK a better game on the 8bit IMHO. Rare game I would rather play on the 8bit vs MAME.

Control on the 8bit is great.

Control on the 8bit is great.

Definitely! One of the best ever!

Controlling Mario is a breeze. Something I think the smooth animation assists. Mario jumps at the precise moment you press the joystick button. He climbs up and down ladders with ease and you don't even have to be in that perfect location for him to start climbing. It's as if he knows you want to go up that ladder even before you get to it.

http://www.ataritimes.com/8-bit/reviews/donkeykong.html

:D

When you play a board (ladder, fire, elevator, or pie) it tells you what level you were on. I could get to the point of I think (memory may be fuzzy) where the elevator level had like 4 or 5 springs bouncing across.

So the actual level number is pretty high up there.

That was then... can't even come close these days. I suppose if I used a real atari stick (right handed) I could do it.

7800 definitely has the graphics, although the 5200 isn't bad. it's way better than the 2600 version. I rather the 5200 because it includes the conveyor belt screen that wasn't done on any other home version, including the NES, which was odd since it's their game.

The conveyor belt sequence is on the C64 version and all and all the Commodore 64 has probably the most faithful arcade to home port of DK there is.

But, getting back on topic, I gotta go with the 7800, and the sounds on it don't bother me all that much. I prefer it's sounds to the CV version.

-Ray

Yeah again that's what I dont like about the 5200 conveyor belt level. You're SUPPOSED to only get the same amount of fireballs as the level you're on (level 1 = 1 fireball, level 2 = 2 fireballs, etc.) But the 5200 version blasts you with FIVE fireballs right off the bat!

Since it's based on the U.S. version of Donkey Kong the conveyor belt only first appears at level 3. So you should only see three fireballs. :roll:

I'm just curious which version individuals prefer, if they are familiar with both versions.

I actually think I enjoy the 5200 version more, although it is clearly far less faithful to the original *graphically*. Both games differ from the arcade in some significant ways, so I'm not really looking for an analysis of which plays "truer" to the arcade original (as far as level progression, barrel patterns, or whatever)...

Simply, which one do you have more fun with?

For me, this is a great example of how the 7800 games look gorgeous, but seem ultra-slow. The 5200 version, on the other hand, can be frustratingly quick. It actually feels faster than MAME emulation of the actual arcade ROM, to me.

Both are fun. My 5 year old daughter always wants me to play either the 7800 version or the arcade version, it seems. Has something to do with the color of the girl's hair between the versions, as best as I've been able to figure out.

hey i just got the a5200 (2-port) where could i find the dk cartdige for the a5200

I'm not sure if you can. I'd check with Atarimax (Classics, here on AtariAge)... to see if he makes the DK conversion as a physical cartridge.

You can play it via emulation, or you can download it (the rom image) to the AtariMax USB 128-in-1 cartridge to play it on real hardware. I'd say, if you want Donkey Kong, assuming the cart is between about $20-$45, that money would be better invested in a 128-in-1 cart, anyhow.

I think they may still be on sale for $125, and they're a steal, at that price.

• 1 month later...