IGNORED

5200 DK versus 7800 DK

Paranoid

another example of the 5200 superiority over the 7800 in terms of overall comparison.

the 5200 easily could take the 2600 yet the 7800 couldn't do much even to shine over the "ill fated" 5200....

Again, the 5200 owners need to express penis envy by cutting down the 7800. It's so odd to me that 5200 owners are so hell bent on trying to prove that their fun system is fun by cutting down another of the Atari family.

Edited by DracIsBack

Again, the 5200 owners need to express penis envy by cutting down the 7800. It's so odd to me that 5200 owners are so hell bent on trying to prove that their fun system is fun by cutting down another of the Atari family.

Hell, come into Modern Games. You ain't seen nothin'. :D

Yup, there are fanboys all over the place!

I've been accused of being a fanboy of just about every system/software company in existence :)

I'd say that any chip on the shoulder of the 5200 community is one born of being aggressively *defensive* about our favorite system. We certainly weren't the ones to first start casting stones about the fitness of our favorite console for a particular purpose or not. If the 5200 was not so often a target for this very same behavior you accuse us of, I'm sure we would be more than happy to live and let live. And I don't think it has anything to do with fanboyism... Instead, I'd suggest that most people, like Jboypacman, who give it a chance, find that most of our claims about the core superiority of the 5200 console bear out in practice.

Oh, I'd also like to suggest, the actual title of this thread, which I started, should, in my opinion, now dirft to INTV DK versus 2600 DK... there you have a genuine battle.

Oddly enough, 2600 is far more faithful to the arcade, in that it bears a stronger passing resemblance to the actual arcade game. Depite that, the INTV version is actually a BETTER looking game, as long as you can deal with the idea of Mario being replaced by Alvin from the Chimpmunks or one of the Bearenstien Bears... Gameplay, they both feature the same two levels, repeated endlessly... but the girder level certain is more entertaining with the sole two fireballs able to move from level to level. Finally, the INTV faces a critical blow because of those darned controllers... which work well enough for the game once you adjust to using the disk as a DISK, and not as a directional controller in a traditional sense... whereas the 2600 has the advantage of using the reliable and basic cx26 style controller.

It is certainly a toss up. I find that via emulation, with a Competition Pro USB stick, the INTV version is slightly more engaging for the long haul.

Oh, I'd also like to suggest, the actual title of this thread, which I started, should, in my opinion, now dirft to INTV DK versus 2600 DK... there you have a genuine battle.

That is like deciding the lesser of two evils :)

I will say that my one biggest complaint of 2600 DK is the inability to jump barrels at a stand still. If it is possible, I have never done it.

That is like deciding the lesser of two evils

I will say that my one biggest complaint of 2600 DK is the inability to jump barrels at a stand still. If it is possible, I have never done it.

I'll have the check that out. But, can you do this in the INTV version?

I'd be really hard pressed to make a decision between these two. The truth is, neither is a very good version, and the differences between the two are kind of a draw in both graphics *and* gameplay.

another example of the 5200 superiority over the 7800 in terms of overall comparison.

the 5200 easily could take the 2600 yet the 7800 couldn't do much even to shine over the "ill fated" 5200....

there's no envy for me. i own both systems since the 80's let alone every atari console. i like my 7800 but i think the my 5200 is much better. it's the games that make a system and the 7800 lags big time...

Edited by phuzaxeman

I agree with Phuzaxe. I've got two 7800 systems, 4 5200 systems.

The 7800 library is just lacking... which is WHY it never made much of an impact when it was new (when interest in 2600 backwards compatibility was pretty low). In today's world, where the 2600 library has a significant allure, the 7800 has a new life (being a 2600+, more or less). The fact that the CC2 is probably the defacto 2600 multi-cart, and it is a 7800 only product, is, IMO, the only REAL saving grace for the 7800. If it weren't for this, there would be significantly less interest in 7800 consoles among the retro community.

I enjoy my 7800, but the 2600 and 5200 get way more play in my house...simply for the fact that they feel more nostalgic to me. I didn't own a 7800 until 5 or 6 years ago. The 5200 and 2600 were the ones I played as a kid.

Same here. I think an informal study would find that most members of AA feel the same. The 7800 doesn't have a lot of fanbase for its native mode alone. And the fact is, it was a dismal flop for the time it was released. If they had let it out when originally planned, I think it would be a HUGE system from a collection/nostalgia perspective, having brought GREAT arcade ports home years before anything else. As it is, it arrived at a time where it looks about as equal to the SMS, and inferior to the NES, as far as library and development are concerned. Let's not get hung up on the symantics of TECHNICAL capability of any of those 3 machines... we'll focus on mere consumer acceptance. The 7800 went right to the closeout rack at KB Stores, more or less. They could barely give them away. Atari had completely discredited itself among gamers at this point, and there hadn't been enough time passed to develop a nostalgic feeling about their lineup. People were more interested in the development of inexpensive home computers and then 16 bit consoles and PCs. All of this together, makes the 7800 a curiosity among the Atari lineup, outside of its flexibility as a component of a CC2 system, which really aims to use it MOSTLY in 2600 mode, anyhow.

Completists, die-hard Atari fanboys (no slam intended, be what you are), and gamers interested in the 7800 as a CC2 base are probably the vast majority of current users interested in the 7800.

And that isn't 5200 penis envy, it is just a simple assessment of the place this console fits in the Atari lineup. Accusing the 5200 users of penis envy for pointing out the flaws and limitations of the 7800 is a bit of a stretch, is my point. The strange thing is how STRONGLY the 5200 is attacked by various fans for other Atari lines, when I think it is clear that the 7800 is a foot note, at best, in the Atari lineage if NOT for the efforts of Chad Schell.

And the fact is, it was a dismal flop for the time it was released.

This is very much a "is the glass half empty or the glass half full" question?

From the glass half empty, you are correct. It didn't make a dent against Nintendo (which dominated) and trailed behind it in the market, along with the Sega Master System, which had more success in Europe.

From a Glass half full, there's the business side of it. The reality is that Jack Tramiel spent almost nothing on the system and sold 2 million+ consoles by largely coasting on the Atari name. As such, the 7800 generated a boatload of profit for Atari for a number of years.

That said, I do feel the way they handled the 7800 really hurt subsequent systems.

Regarding the PENIS ENVY, the reason I made the comment was because some 5200 owners (not even close to all) seem to want to go out of their way to brag about the 5200 and deliberately cut down the 7800 at the same time. It's one thing to prefer one over the other, it's another to constantly tout one and attack the other.

It's like, guys -- you really don't need to constantly try and justify the 5200's existance by cutting down the 7800.

As for the other stuff regarding the merit, to me, it's simply personal taste and personal subjective opinion. As someone who has had a 7800 site for years, I have met a lot of people who love the 7800 and not just for its 2600 compatibility.

Ok... I'll accept that perspective. And, again, I think the fact is that both the 7800 and the 5200 reflect a certain amount of MISSED opportunity and poor marketing that has been the hallmark of the Atari name since the success of the 2600. Had Atari made it to Gemco and Toys R Us as early as Commodore with their 8 bit machines, priced in the same target range, that could be a whole different chapter for the Atari name during that era, for example.

But I want to clarify my stand on 5200 owner aggressiveness...

Have you ever noticed that modern secular science seems to have a chip on its shoulder toward religion? I mean, if religion just LOOKS at science crooked, Science attacks, often viciously...

Here is another example... throughout High School and Jr. High, there was a guy named Bryce who hung with my basic scene. He was a bully and a jerk, and often terrorized me. In our college years, he stopped growing (having been a BIG guy in Jr. High and into High School, by our adult life, he was short, and had lost considerable weight due to a coke habit). Anyhow... I was at a party once, and he said something to me, that was just a LITTLE off color... I don't even really know if he INTENDED it so, but I instantly got ALL riled up and in his face about it... and the people around were like, "Jee, don't be such a jerk, the guy didn't do anything to you"... to which I was like, "YOU GUYS DON'T EVEN KNOW..." but, it fell on deaf ears, the people could only judge by what they had seen transpire (which looked like a big guy going off on a little guy for no reason at all).

Long road toward this... if 5200 fans come off a little aggressive and start swining back early... you might want to step back and look at the bigger picture. We certainly have a right to be a little defensive, when, as pointed out, the Intellivision and Colecovision joysticks have never attracted the negative attention to their consoles that the 5200 sticks have to the 5200.

We're shell-shocked victims of bullying ready to snap at the slightest provocation. Handle us with care. :D

Long road toward this... if 5200 fans come off a little aggressive and start swining back early... you might want to step back and look at the bigger picture. We certainly have a right to be a little defensive, when, as pointed out, the Intellivision and Colecovision joysticks have never attracted the negative attention to their consoles that the 5200 sticks have to the 5200.

We're shell-shocked victims of bullying ready to snap at the slightest provocation. Handle us with care. :D

Fair enough. And 7800 owners are the same way. Despite what some might think, I have always appreciated my system for being more than a 2600 in a different case and a home for a Cuttle Cart. I *DIG* many of the 7800 specific games.

And for the record, I still list the Intellivision controller as the worst of all time. ;-) I think the 5200 is great and am bummed that they are so hard to find in the wilds of Canada, though now that I'm in Minnesota, I'm hoping it's easier. I want to play Adventure II as much as anyone.

• 1 year later...
I finally got around to putting DK on my Atarimax 128 in 1 cart. I'm shocked that they actually reversed the first screen. I wonder why they did that. Otherwise I'd say the 5200 version kicks the crap out of the 7800 version in my opinion.

Way to bump an old topic here....

Anyway, the first screen isn't really reversed (you still start at the lower left), it's just that the top girder is removed to help with the aspect ratio change.

There's no question here... the 5200 version of Donkey Kong is one of the best available on an 80's game system. It's extremely faithful to the arcade original, and just as important, it's HARD. Those other versions of the game are so easy it's pathetic, but 5200 Donkey Kong really cranks up the challenge, resulting in a more satisfying experience.

Well... You start the topic by already saying the 5200 version is better. So if you like it better, then who cares what anyone else thinks unless your seeking approval. Also... I am propably right by saying that since we are in a 5200 forum people are going to be bias to the 5200 version. I personally dont really care for it on the 5200 since there are better alternatives such as MAME. The 7800 does look better. As a matter of fact almost every version except the 2600 looks better. NES, Colecovision, and the 7800. Being that the 5200 version is just a conversion of the Atari 8bit, it really doesnt count on the 5200 since it never existed till recently. So the topic should have been.... "Is the Atari 8bit version of Donkey Kong better then the 7800 version. I mean next thing you will have a thread on if the Atari 5200 version of MULE is better then the NES version.

I hope I did not hurt any feelings! :P I tend to do that!

Sorry Tom!

By the way, the reason there isn't officially a 5200 version is Coleco had the rights to release the console versions, and Atari had the computer rights. When Coleco showed DK on the Adam, Atari went after them.

(for those who didn't know)

Edited by Bryan