IGNORED

6502 SDK or IDE?

Heaven/TQA

i am dreaming of a nice SDK which helps me coding bigger projects in 6502... ;) at the moment i am using XASM and Crimson text editor... but is there a 6502 text editor for PC out there which shows me in a separate window all labels used / vars used so i can directly jump to? like in any C++ editor?

I often dream of someone taking something like ATASM and merging it with an emulator like Atari800 Win+ along with an IDE to make the ultimate development environment (for 8-bit Ataris that is). It would be really cool to write the assembly code, assemble it, set break points, step through the code, etc. It would make debugging graphics output much much easier. It seems like all the individual pieces are there, it would just be a matter of integrating them all (not a trivial task I know). At times I debug individual subroutines using a 6502 simulator which is great but it sure would be nice to step through it in the context of an 8-bit emulator.

-tjb

I often dream of someone taking something like ATASM and merging it with an emulator like Atari800 Win+ along with an IDE to make the ultimate development environment (for 8-bit Ataris that is). It would be really cool to write the assembly code, assemble it, set break points, step through the code, etc. It would make debugging graphics output much much easier. It seems like all the individual pieces are there, it would just be a matter of integrating them all (not a trivial task I know). At times I debug individual subroutines using a 6502 simulator which is great but it sure would be nice to step through it in the context of an 8-bit emulator.

-tjb

Hit F8?

It would be nice though if some assembler could export labels and the emulator could import them. I am thinking the assembler from CC65 can output some kind of symbols a certain C64 emulator can read? I would just settle for Atari800Plus would adjust its internal equates to the 5200 when running a 5200 program.

This shell command can reform a LD65 label file to something that can be used in the debugger:

echo "X-Assembler " > new.lbl; echo "Label table:" >> new.lbl; sed "s/^al 0.\(....\) \.\(.*\)/a   \1 \2/" barb.lbl >> new.lbl

But in trying the debugger it looks like the resolution of a label back to its address seems to go wrong - so now we have to debug that first ;)

-tjb

Hit F8?

It would be nice though if some assembler could export labels and the emulator could import them. I am thinking the assembler from CC65 can output some kind of symbols a certain C64 emulator can read? I would just settle for Atari800Plus would adjust its internal equates to the 5200 when running a 5200 program.

I was thinking more along the lines of writing the code, assembling it, and running it without leaving the IDE. You'd set breakpoints directly in your source code like any of the modern IDE's like Visual Studio, Eclipse, etc. Maybe I've just become spoiled using such environments...

-tjb

so now we have to debug that first ;)

Found the problem here...

The monitor is uppercasing the value string before checking the label tables

as all of the 'internal' labels are in uppercase. I think this is wrong and should

either a) be deferred until you've check your own symbols case-insensitively

or b) have the loader convert you labels to uppercase upon loading them

b) would probably suffice but I'd prefer a) as the display will list your labels

in a way more easily recognisable to your sources.

Regards,

Mark

i would prefer an all-in-one integrated suite like visualstudio to be honest... or borland c++ suite... ;)

but havent knew that atari800win is xasm lable compatible... i guess having label names would make looking into code in the monitor much more userfriendly... thank good that all my dev is xasm-based... ;)

An Eclipse plug-in for 6502 ASM would be cool...

Last year I found a Z80 plugin for Eclipse 3.0 at http://sourceforge.net/projects/z80eclipse/

Based upon this, I made a 6502 plugin which I'm currently using for my C64 projects. Also, I've configured DASM as an "External Tool" in Eclipse. You can see a screenshot of it all here (Mac OS X).

The plugin doesn't work with Eclipse 3.1, unfortunately. And the original Z80 plugin is "no longer under active development".

The 6502 plugin is available here.

And its source code is available here.

Regards,

Geir

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Old Thread, new post ;-)

I also always wanted to have a free 6502 editor with close compiler integration. And now - there it is!

I have started to create an Eclipse plugin based on the openarchitectureware DSL tool called xText.

The result after some weeks is:

• ATASM source editor in Eclipse
  • Syntax highlighting (keywords, comments, strings)
  • Block comment toggling (Ctrl+/)
  • Syntax checks as you type (e.g. invalid keyword)
  • Reference checks as you save (e.g. undefined label used)
  • Outline with all equate definitions, macro definitions and code sections (origins)
  • Different icons for equates, labels and macros
  • Hotlink navigation to definition of labels and equates (Ctrl+click)
  • Hotkey for compiling current file with ATASM and start it in Atari800Win (Ctrl+0)
  • Compile errors and warnings are reported directly in Eclipse in the "Problems" view, click positions cursor
  • Automated positioning to first error/warning

I'll release a first trial as soon as it is stable and usable.

Any comments welcome!

Best regards, Peter/JAC!

post-17404-1237840683_thumb.png

Hello Jac!

nice to read...

any chance for MADS integration instead of ATASM? :)

Old Thread, new post ;-)

I also always wanted to have a free 6502 editor with close compiler integration. And now - there it is!

I have started to create an Eclipse plugin based on the openarchitectureware DSL tool called xText.

The result after some weeks is:

• ATASM source editor in Eclipse
  • Syntax highlighting (keywords, comments, strings)
  • Block comment toggling (Ctrl+/)
  • Syntax checks as you type (e.g. invalid keyword)
  • Reference checks as you save (e.g. undefined label used)
  • Outline with all equate definitions, macro definitions and code sections (origins)
  • Different icons for equates, labels and macros
  • Hotlink navigation to definition of labels and equates (Ctrl+click)
  • Hotkey for compiling current file with ATASM and start it in Atari800Win (Ctrl+0)
  • Compile errors and warnings are reported directly in Eclipse in the "Problems" view, click positions cursor
  • Automated positioning to first error/warning

I'll release a first trial as soon as it is stable and usable.

Any comments welcome!

Best regards, Peter/JAC!

Hi Heaven,

@version control

That does not not depend on my editor. Version control APIs are provided for every file in Eclipse, provided the version control provider also has an Eclipse plugin. I know of CSV and Subversion (called subclipse) plugins and I also have already used some others also.

@mads

Once I have is running for ATASM, it can of course be adapted to additional assemblers, but for each of them I'll have to create a new grammar and log parsing.

If I am not mistaken, for those that have MSVC++ IDE, Im pretty sure you can set just about any cross whatever

up to allow for this. I know Scott(JagMod) has something like this set up for Jaguar coding. I may be mistaken.

It may not be this elabortate but Im pretty sure he uses MSVC++ IDE for this. I believe it is how you set up all

the project parameters. Im not so sure it can act as a debuger for 6502 based code but perhaps a plugin or

something could be constructed to allow for 6502 code and variable tracking.