IGNORED

Official Pac-Man Collection thread (ColecoVision/MSX)

opcode

Opcode's is more authentic since he coded from scratch,but the 7800 is awesome in it's own right :)

Actually, Opcode's version wasn't completely made from scratch. There's a good portion of it that was lifted directly from the arcade ROM (which is also Z80-based, like the CV), to achieve maximum authenticity.

Opcode's is more authentic since he coded from scratch,but the 7800 is awesome in it's own right :)

Actually, Opcode's version wasn't completely made from scratch. There's a good portion of it that was lifted directly from the arcade ROM (which is also Z80-based, like the CV), to achieve maximum authenticity.

Exactly, PMC runs almost emulated on the CV. You will be surprised. And will be surprised by the tight control too. I must confess I am not a big fan of the original CV controller, but it works perfectly with PMC. I will release an official demo soon.

About a release data, March 31 is my deadline for programming. If the other parties involved do their homework, then PMC would be out in April or May.

If they don't, then it would be release a few months later, cause I am going to program, create the package and PCB myself.

Eduardo

Huh, just looked at the pictures of both 7800 versions, and Opcode's- even without multicolor, Opcode's is better looking.

Opcode's

http://www.opcodegames.com/pacman.html

7800 ones

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?a...st&id=63052

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?a...st&id=63051

The 7800 version doesn't have any sprite flicker. I think one of the higher rez modes could have been used if Atari wasn't so cheap trying to pack most of their original 7800 releases into 16K ROM. I really do like the higher rez of the opcode version and arcade authentic play though (from what I have played on the demo)

Yeah, the CV had the same problem. I keep reading how it could handle 32K games, but they hardly ever did more than 16K. What's the use of having 32K, if you're never gonna use it? There's a four screen version of DKjr. out there. If the CV can do that (it can, no modules or nothing needed), why didn't they just do it in the first place?

As for the 7800- whoever was running that show must have been some cheap people. Even the cartridges were UGLY.

Yeah, the CV had the same problem. I keep reading how it could handle 32K games, but they hardly ever did more than 16K. What's the use of having 32K, if you're never gonna use it? There's a four screen version of DKjr. out there. If the CV can do that (it can, no modules or nothing needed), why didn't they just do it in the first place?

There are several issues to consider. First of all, the price of 16K ROM chips compared to 32K ROM chips was an important deciding factor, back in the eighties. Also, CV programmers didn't have advanced dev tools back then, so developing a 32K game was seen as quite an endeavour. Most games could be coded to fit within 16K, so that's what programmers did. The final ROM size of the games didn't affect sales, as long as the games looked and played good.

Also, by the time the programmers got comfortable with the CV and had reached a point where making 32K games wasn't as difficult as before (and 32K ROM chips weren't as expensive), Coleco was already working on the Super Game Module, and later the Adam computer, and several games that could have been done as 32K CV games were instead coded for the Adam (Donkey Kong, DK Junior, Zaxxon, Buck Rogers, etc.). And don't forget about certain Super Game Module games like Super Gorf and Super Smurf that were never released.

Keep in mind that the ColecoVision survived only for roughly two years, between 1982 and the 1984 crash. If it had lived longer, there probably would have been several more 32K games released.

That's where Coleco really screwed up- the ADAM computer. Guess they believed those idiot nerds who said videogaming was dead, and the future was in computers.

Hear about the rush for Playstation 3? Yeah- real dead, in 2006.

Opcode put a bunch of MSX games on the CV. I have Sky Jaguar, and I played some other MSX games, which can be put on a CV. If Coleco had just stuck with the CV, then they might have made it. Opcode's games are what the CV could have been back then, and they would have sold. There's even a battery backed up adventure game for the CV! How well do you think that would have done?

You sometimes gotta spend money to make money. Arcade games got bigger and bigger, so the programmers at Coleco would need that memory. Hey- the extra money for Zaxxon didn't hurt sales for it!

As far as Pacman goes- I've seen the Atari version for the CV. Its good- better then the 5200 version. Same with Joust (no sound yet, but it would have been good), Dig dug, and Galaxian was also better.

Opcode isn't adding anything to any one of those Pac man games themselves- no fancy chips, nothing like that, he is just doing those versions with pure talent. It shows that the CV was able to do better then even the Atari programmers could do.

I am going to get it as soon as it comes out. What CV owner isn't?

Says it all. :D :D :D

There's even a battery backed up adventure game for the CV! How well do you think that would have done?

What game is that?? I never heard of any battery-save feature in any CV game...

Opcode isn't adding anything to any one of those Pac man games themselves- no fancy chips, nothing like that, he is just doing those versions with pure talent. It shows that the CV was able to do better then even the Atari programmers could do.

Actually, PMC uses the MegaCart (because it goes beyond 32K) which could qualify as a "fancy chip". :) Also, I'm certainly not one to question Opcode's programming wizardry, but the Atari programmers didn't have access to the arcade ROMs like Opcode did, nor did they have years to perfect their CV port. The comparison isn't exactly fair.

There's even a battery backed up adventure game for the CV! How well do you think that would have done?

What game is that?? I never heard of any battery-save feature in any CV game...

Actually, PMC uses the MegaCart (because it goes beyond 32K) which could qualify as a "fancy chip". :) Also, I'm certainly not one to question Opcode's programming wizardry, but the Atari programmers didn't have access to the arcade ROMs like Opcode did, nor did they have years to perfect their CV port. The comparison isn't exactly fair.

The battery backup was the homebrew RPG a few years back I think I read-- adn there's reports of Probe2000's Creatures and Caverns having a bckup, but it was never released.

Ad for the PMC-- I disagree with your logic saying it uses custom or fancy chips. While it physically does, I believe each game COULD standalone on a 32k cartridge, or did I misread something? The MegaCart was only because of the 'collection', not from Pac Man alone. But without discounting Eduardo's work, I agree the Atari comparisons are unfair.

BTW-- May 15 is my birthday, folks. :!: hint hint :!: :cool:

Edited by Murph74

Ad for the PMC-- I disagree with your logic saying it uses custom or fancy chips. While it physically does, I believe each game COULD standalone on a 32k cartridge, or did I misread something? The MegaCart was only because of the 'collection', not from Pac Man alone.

That much is true, you'll get no argument from me there. :)

Edited by Pixelboy

NonononononononoNOOOO, I mean the games THEMSELVES. If Opcode simply put one game on a cartridge, especially the first Pac Man, without all of the extras, then it would be within the 32K limit. The game ITSELF would be the same great game we're all waiting for, simply by pure talent! :D

By "fancy chips", I mean something that would let you do the multicolor ghosts without the boxy look even the 7800 version has in Ms. Pac man, and the great looking prizes. Do you think Coleco could have done it? This is a matter of SKILL, not chips. And Opcode had them beat. Look at Space Invaders! Talent, plain and simple!:twisted:

As for the battery-backed CV game- yes, it does exist, and some guy who has it even wrote instructions for it- here it is:

http://www.classicgaming.com/o2home/gmrevi...w.asp?cartid=55

http://www.classicgaming.com/o2home/manual...0&pageamt=2

Ok, we're all on the same page... almost. :)

I thnk the Adam was a GREAT thing for Coleco-- the marketing was the problem in my opinion. Had they offered a 'streamlined' version, I think the lifespan coud have changed significantly. By streamlined, I mean a DDP only unit to play games (ala the Supergames module)-- possibly cheaper games by using tape instead of chips. Granted, durability may be an issue, but the cheaper cost of tape over chip could have offset the risk.

I'm still curious what it would take to make a "DDP Controller" for the CV alone, or if it's even possible. Supposedly the Super games used the CV board in the Adam anyway, so if you could build a controller, you could potentially play DK Supergame on a CV without the Adam. Theoretically, anyway.

Well, Super DKjr. has four screens, and I have it on CV cartridge.

But I gotta disagree with you about the ADAM. I don't live far from where Coleco used to be (about half an hour on Route 5) and I know people who used to work there.

When the ADAM computer came out, they took people off the street to work on it, just barely teaching them how to solder. They worked on 8X4 plywood tables slapped together, in a dirty, dusty place, with no static electricity protection.

No wonder so many of them didn't work.

But even if this didn't happen, think about it. The Atari, IBM, and Commodor computers- and the Apples, too- were all out there. They were there. Supported, established.

Now look at the ADAM. It had a weirdo tape cassette drive, so anyone who wanted to make games for it had to do it that way. It was different, yeah, it was sort of like an Apple, but it wasn't. You could only get tapes from Coleco (what a rip off).

Anyone who wanted a computer could just get an established one, which had games for it. You knew where you stood.

Coleco should have stuck with the CV. If it takes more money and time to do good games, fine. Zaxxon did nicely. Opcode's games show what it really could have done, you ever see Sky Jaguar? And that's just the beginning. You learn, you do more with what you have, Opcode games from the MSX give you an idea. Look at Joust, it was GREAT- if only it had been finished.

It's sort of like the 2600. Who in the days of Home Run would have believed that Robot Tank, Pac-Man Jr, or Solaris could be done?

Now imagine what the CV could do, used to it's best- even in that 32K limit!!!!!

This is what I like so much about Opcode's games. Look at a few of them-

http://www.geocities.com/vgbelloq/si.html

http://www.opcodegames.com/sjaguar.html

http://www.opcodegames.com/kungfu.html

And, of course, THE thing we are all waiting for: PAC MAN! :D :D :D *

This is some of the stuff CV could do. They should not have just given up on it.

* This also keeps this post on-topic, sort of. :twisted: ;)

Edited by CV Gus

Well, Super DKjr. has four screens, and I have it on CV cartridge.

Actually, if memeory serves me, it has 5 screens, just need a code to unlock the 5th screen-- the Pie Factory in DKJ. Also, a cart doesn't give the feature so a supergame... such as the save high scores, and not sure what a cart does with the intermission screens, if anything.

Anyway, I was refering to the supergame features that a standard cart couldn't handle at the time of production. Sure, today we can do all kinds of different stuff, including the flash multi cart-- but keeping true to 80's technology, I'd think it would be 'possible' (althoguh maybe not practical to create today with respect to the Opcode module) to create a controller board for the the DDP drives to be run thru the CV's expansion port-- liek a miniature stripped down Adam.

• 3 months later...

The foreign writing under the logo strikes me as weird, but not enough to keep me from buying it. :) I'm in!

All our past boxes have japanese translation sub-titles, except for Space Invaders Collection. Check the box pics on our web site. :)

Edited by Pixelboy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi guys!

We are now a step closer. Bryan sent me the picture bellow last week. The MegaCart is finally ready and available.

Pac-Man will enter beta testing this week, with Ms Pac-Man following next month. PMC should be available this August, after a long, long time in development.

We are still planning Road Fighter shortly after PMC, then Konami Sports Collection (our second MegaCart game), later this year, early next year.

And I could say 2008 is going to be a year full of Bally Midway surprises for all of us, CV fans. :D

Eduardo

post-1432-1177697308_thumb.jpg

BTW, just in case someone is wondering what heck is a MegaCart, it is a cartridge capable of bank switching. The maximum total memory allowed for a regular CV cartridges is 32KB. In the other hand the MegaCart can support games up to 1MB! Pac-Man Collection will come with 128KB.

Eduardo