IGNORED

is buying the Wii a good idea at launch?

Dusk2600

Wow !

How soon we all seem to not remember This ?

Now reports saying if you let it go, the whole case cracks.

Hmmm, I guess if it wasn't so rushed and some quality control taken, this would have been avoidable.

Source? I have the slight crack and was going to live with it, but if it could get worse I may not.

Yeah, somewhere in here.

You are on your own to find it.

Let's not forget Nintendo was charging to repair this at first, until they finally admitted, after many denials, that it is a defect. They were very ready to fix it for a cost.

Wow !

Hmmm, I guess if it wasn't so rushed and some quality control taken, this would have been avoidable.

Source? I have the slight crack and was going to live with it, but if it could get worse I may not.

Yeah, somewhere in here.

You are on your own to find it.

Let's not forget Nintendo was charging to repair this at first, until they finally admitted, after many denials, that it is a defect. They were very ready to fix it for a cost.

that lasted like 3 days though... so its not like we had to wait a year or something when in the meantime we would have thrown the system out or bought a new one... and im sure at first glance it looked like people were dropping them instead of the hinge being put on too tight

for someone like me who doesnt want to spend 80 dollars on Final Fantasy III on the snes, i can just wait for it to be on v console for a few bucks...

Oh yeah, that's a good one, I played it a few years ago on NESticle.

The screen shots of new Wii games scream Cube...even if the hardware specs aren't the same...they look close enough to me that I can't tell the difference...so argue all you want. In my eyes we are repaying to play the latest Cube games with a funky controller and the ability to download retro titles for a price if we choose.

Personally I don't care about the retro titles unless something sets them apart from the thousands of Nintendo ROMS 85% of the people on the forums have in a folder buried on their C drive. (I can guarentee no one paid $80 for the FF3 one)

You see it differently and a person has to respect that, so no...no

argument will break out.

for someone like me who doesnt want to spend 80 dollars on Final Fantasy III on the snes, i can just wait for it to be on v console for a few bucks...

85% of the people on the forums have in a folder buried on their C drive.

well i dont... and i dont have a C drive ;)

While I personally don't have a NES emulator or any for that matter (every time I tried to use one it was flaky or else the keyboard controls really sucked so it wasn't fun). I even tried playing an early version of Spectar that Scott Huggins sent me and although I had a blast trying out his work, the keyboard controls really made it a chore. I've made a choice to forget about the roms.

Now there may be a load of folks on here that have these roms and some have gone to great lengths to reproduce the feel of their favorite classics. Kudos to them... they have spent many hours working on it.

Now lets get back to the real world (No offense to anyone) and look at the market for 'retro goodness'. Microsoft's XBox Live Arcade is a perfect example of how this can, and likely, will succeed. I can go to EB and snag a new copy of Midway Arcade Volume 1 for $15-20 new... cheaper for the used copy, or someone who bought a 360 can pay $5 for Joust for example. Yeah the Joust on live has some online leaderboards and such but really... is there a reason to buy it? Perhaps not for you or I, but there is a market out there for this stuff.

Imagine parents who buy the Wii for their kids... they'll likely open their wallets and download some classics they remember and tell their kids: 'this is gaming'. Or something to that effect.

Costs for these downloads could be a touchy topic as I don't want to pay $5 for a NES title (especially if it's simply the ROM with no added content). Personally I would like to see any or all of the following implemented:

1-Nothing priced in excess of $10

2-Serious 3rd party games available for download (Capcom, Konami and others. Not just Nintendo, Sega and Hudson).

3-Some achievement point system to extend gameplay.

4-Rewarding gamers for buying the games by giving Nintendo Coins (as opposed to MS Points) by entering their PIN included in the case. (It would finally be a reason to enter those PIN numbers that Nintendo tried but never really had much luck with in North America).

5-Finally allowing us to play Excitebike and build our own tracks and SAVE and SHARE these tracks with people! (Pipe dream I suppose)

Also insert Wrecking Crew and Mach Rider for this option although the Excitebike one would be the real draw. :)

or someone who bought a 360 can pay $5 for Joust for example. Yeah the Joust on live has some online leaderboards and such but really... is there a reason to buy it? Perhaps not for you or I, but there is a market out there for this stuff.

I get the retro titles off Live exactly for the reasons you listed and no other reason.

I think that is why the Live Arcade has taken off like it did. (Honestly it's doing so well on the 360 that Microsoft re-did the numbers one month because they couldn't possibly be right...but they were! LOL) Personally it's all because of those features and no other reason, the mom's aren't downloading SF2 to show their kids what they are missing. The owners of 360's are downloading the game because they can kick the ass of players all over the world...or at least try. They want to try to get 100% gamerpoints and highscores on the Leaderboard, if only for bragging rights...and have great fun discovering classic titles they otherwise wouldn't think twice about, or reviving that decades old feeling of being next in line to play an arcade game you know you RULE at.

I haven't been this excited to boot up a console in years which is probably why I tout the 360 so much. I literally rush home and boot it up...if only to get a quick fix before I go try and do something productive around the house. I try to get just one or two achievements. (Frogger kicks my ass :( )

Downloading the original Super Mario Brother for $5 just to play by myself holds zero interest to me. I can't see this taking off like the Arcade on 360 at all missing the features Live offers. I guess time will tell. Won't be too long now!

Wow !

We suppose it's a bit of a stretch to call Nintendo's DS Lite hinge problem -- which according to Nintendo affects 0.02 percent of shipped units -- much of a defect, but the big N has heard the cries of its users, and will now fix the problem for free.

Sounds pretty good to me. No reason to be afraid to buy from a company that hears the cries of .02 percent of their customers shortly after launch and agrees to fix the problem for free.

Edited by Atarifever

or someone who bought a 360 can pay $5 for Joust for example. Yeah the Joust on live has some online leaderboards and such but really... is there a reason to buy it? Perhaps not for you or I, but there is a market out there for this stuff.

I get the retro titles off Live exactly for the reasons you listed and no other reason.

I think that is why the Live Arcade has taken off like it did. (Honestly it's doing so well on the 360 that Microsoft re-did the numbers one month because they couldn't possibly be right...but they were! LOL) Personally it's all because of those features and no other reason, the mom's aren't downloading SF2 to show their kids what they are missing. The owners of 360's are downloading the game because they can kick the ass of players all over the world...or at least try. They want to try to get 100% gamerpoints and highscores on the Leaderboard, if only for bragging rights...and have great fun discovering classic titles they otherwise wouldn't think twice about, or reviving that decades old feeling of being next in line to play an arcade game you know you RULE at.

I haven't been this excited to boot up a console in years which is probably why I tout the 360 so much. I literally rush home and boot it up...if only to get a quick fix before I go try and do something productive around the house. I try to get just one or two achievements. (Frogger kicks my ass :( )

Downloading the original Super Mario Brother for $5 just to play by myself holds zero interest to me. I can't see this taking off like the Arcade on 360 at all missing the features Live offers. I guess time will tell. Won't be too long now!

That's precisely what I would like to see Nintendo do with the old titles. Sure there are some interesting titles I never played, and those will be worth my dollar for a download. That's what has me with a pre-order down for both systems and it's interesting. I'm more interested in the 360's Live Arcade than I am in the rest of the titles on the system (ok perhaps I have a about 4-5 titles on the 360 I'm interested in :) ) but the Wii has more titles and the old school games.

I'll continue to play my old games and wait to hear more news about what the Wii has planned. If there is some kind of Achievements for the games on the Wii (and Virtual Console) then I'm 100% into the Wii... if not, I may sit on the fence a little longer.

The idea of getting home from work and playing a round or two of a classic arcade game has more appeal to me than spending 5 minutes with Oblivion (you can't get much of anything accomplished in that time). Achievements are a nice little carrot for gamers. Some people couldn't care less about them but going back to the 2600 days, I used to keep track of high scores (not only mine but friends who were over as well) and in those days, achievements in that book were legendary! (LOL! Only because the neighborhood was in that book... I wonder if I still have that book kicking around.. would make for an interesting read).

It's exciting to see what the bin N does.. and I agree.. it won't be too long now! :)

I think becuase the games are older, people forget that they are still owned and profitable to a company.. they feel its ok to steal them. I understand if you already have a copy of the real game.. but going on a free shopping spree is wrong...

Profitable is debatable. Most of it's not in publication in any form, and hasn't been for years. It can't make a profit if it isn't even sold.

I've made a point of not downloading stuff that's in publication. I buy remakes and ports if they become available.

And I try to add used games as the opportunity presents itself(though the game companies are as pissed about that as they are piracy).

Sounds pretty good to me. No reason to be afraid to buy from a company that hears the cries of .02 percent of their customers shortly after launch and agrees to fix the problem for free.

Yea I know. Remember when MS claimed 5% failure rate and they were liars? Good times, good times.

Can't wait for the PS3.

Will the "download aspect" of the Virtual Console be up and running at launch? If it is, then it means dozens upon dozens of games available, some of them big classics (Super Metroid anyone?) in addition to the main launch titles. Could be a major selling point for people beside early adopters.

I'd be hella more excited if they had a network you could play games across. Has there been ANY talk of this?

Really don't care about paying $50 for 10 Nintendo NES games I already own...unless I have the option of playing online against fellow games. Oh wait you said Super Metroid? What were the Super Nintendo's gonna be? $10? Same thing, I would pay $100 for 10 SNES games I already had...IF I could play online vs. or co-op with you guys. Other wise Meh, I can already play em and I don't have to pay a dime...Thanks anyways.

Moycon hit the nail on the had as far as I'm concerned regarding the virtual console. I wouldn't worry to much about defects, I think a smarter way to chose is simply figure out if what it has is what you want to play. For me I really want to play the new trauma center game as I was a huge fan of the DS version. But if none of the games look interesting than what's the point?

Yea I know. Remember when MS claimed 5% failure rate and they were liars? Good times, good times.

Can't wait for the PS3.

i know you hate that many people around here arent excited about the next playstation, but just curious, why does everything you say about anyone BUT sony have to be pointed, with an attitude that basically says "screw them"?

And please remember that while most of us are excited about a system not owned by sony, doesnt mean that most of us havent owned a playstation and a playstation 2 or didnt enjoyed playing them...

i think its odd really, i like this site so much because its one of the few forum sites out there that isnt overrun by 16 year old brats. Yet we still get in squabbles all the time even though we are mature adults (assuming you are). I am a fan of my gamecube but you dont hear me making rude replies to every negative comment someone has about the system, as most of them are quite earned. Just curious... if you dont agree just move on as usual. :cool:

Edited by AtariJr

Can't wait for the PS3.

i know you hate that many people around here arent excited about the next playstation, but just curious, why does everything you say about anyone BUT sony have to be pointed, with an attitude that basically says "screw them"?

And please remember that while most of us are excited about a system not owned by sony, doesnt mean that most of us havent owned a playstation and a playstation 2 or didnt enjoyed playing them...

i think its odd really, i like this site so much because its one of the few forum sites out there that isnt overrun by 16 year old brats. Yet we still get in squabbles all the time even though we are mature adults (assuming you are). I am a fan of my gamecube but you dont hear me making rude replies to every negative comment someone has about the system, as most of them are quite earned. Just curious... if you dont agree just move as usual.

This has nothing to do with the PS3 or whatever system you like or I like. Actually, I am just observing justification of one companies defects, or at the least, making them excusable offenses.

havent heard anything about GBA, its not official.. but i would imagine the V Console would be able to evolve, so that might be something we see come up later in the life of Wii to attract customers.

PS: pictures for the Wii game Monster 4X4...one of 7 new Ubisoft launch games, are now available at IGN... only 2 pics, but it gives you an idea. From what i can see it reminds me of the old Need for Speed games, you know, when they were fun ;), but with big tires.

i thought the downloads for Wii were free

I believe some will be, but others wont.

As for the Wii itself. I personally love the concept so far. Mario Galaxy is the only game that looks Gamecubish to me, and even then that isn't a bad thing.

I'm really not worried about graphics. Sure, they're nice and all, but no one turns on a game just to stare at the screen for two hours. The gameplay is what keeps you there, and keeps you playing.

I agree with Moycon (HEY MAN!) that Nintendo's virtual console will need ladders, etc. Why? Because people love competition. People will play hours on end to beat a high score. That alone is the draw that classic arcade games had.

It's strange, if you look at it from a certain point of view, this could be viewed as a Arcade game revival. The only difference is that you're at home, and you're not giving up all of your change. You're paying for the game, and then playing against the world.

Nothing is more awesome than that. :)

It's strange, if you look at it from a certain point of view, this could be viewed as a Arcade game revival. The only difference is that you're at home, and you're not giving up all of your change. You're paying for the game, and then playing against the world.

Nothing is more awesome than that. :)

Never thought of it like that...but you're right. These days we are all so fat and lazy we can't get off our ass to go change the TV channel much less compete with our fellow gamers in smokey arcades. Why get up and go outside and drive somewhere when we can snuggle our plump asses into a $70 gamer chair and play games with graphics close to what would be in the arcade anyways.

Thing is you lose the competition. (Unless you have buddies that come over.) These days I'm afraid game playing is a very isolated and maybe one might even consider lonely time for a lot of folks. That is exactly why Live Arcade blew up like it did, people realized they could get that old school competition and still not have to move their lazy ass!! If Sony and Nintendo want a piece of that pie, they better be pouring some cash into a fast, stable network. I'm not sure you can emulate the success of Live Arcade without it. OffLine Arcade just doesn't cut it.

I wouldn't have paid $5 to play Pac-Man (again) yesterday if I didn't have achievements to shoot for.

but I do...so I did.

WakkaWakkaWakka (Got em all to... cept the one where you have to eat 16 ghosts in one round!!!! Doh!)

Competition without actually having to meet the people. :)

Gaming is a lonely thing when you don't have friends to play with. I do, but I really don't enjoy fighting over which level we're going to play Halo on.

I personally think these online arcades are going to boom into a huge next stage of gaming. Wii is already rumored to have something set up where independant developers can make games for the Wii. If that goes through, then some interesting games could very well rise.

Another thing I think is looked over reguarding these online games are board games. Go, Chess, Checkers, Backgammon, reguardless of what people think, some of these games have a good audience to attract. They could also make educational games for learning math, readng, etc.

As for Wii supporting ladders and high scores... I think it will. Nintendo is a pretty smart company, and if they don't have them at first, they will eventually.

I have never had a nintendo home console not be fully functional from day one and I have owned them all. only ones I didn't get on the first day was the N64 and the cube and I did get them eventually had only needed to buy one of each and they both worked great.

I'm getting a Wiivolution day one, and I have no doubts it will be awesome and working great.