IGNORED

My Official Coleco ADAM rant!

MopedFreak

• 3 years later...
I see stuff like this and it makes me wonder if there are ADAM Super Game versions of Smurf, Time Pilot and Turbo waiting to be discovered.

56_1.JPG

What ticks me off is I paid big money for a copy of Troll's Tale. The program did not work. I paid a programmer to fix it and he informed me that someone purposely removed code from the program so it would not work. So the only thing that was able to be restored was the Troll's Tale Demo that loops. All of the programs I had restored for the Adam and colecovision by this one programmer for items that were not working were all done in such away to not add anything to the program but to restore the original function as the author attended. Kind of like film restoration for video games.

Did you know that the unreleased Jeopardy program for the Adam had to be restored by a programmer because someone that gave the program to public domain copied the program from a 256K Digital Data Pack to a 160K floppy drive. Jeopardy was one of the last programs finished by Coleco for Adam but no one has a full version since someone did not copy the entire program. I paid a programmer to fix Jeopardy because after it went to the last question it would lock up the program since the program was not all their. So the programmer wrote a code in the programmer that reset the program after it reached the last question. Without this fix Jeopardy would lock up. Program works fine but it would have been nice to have the original complete question set on the original unreleased Digital Data Pack.

I try and make my posts as close to 100% accurate as possible, but I make small mistakes once and a while.

I should have said "Tunnel and Trolls" instead of "Troll's Tale". I messed up on the name of the program. So when reading the old post it should say "Tunnel and Trolls" in place of "Trolls Tale."

Edited by HDTV1080P

I had weird version of DK Jr. It had a "released to the public domain" title screen before the regular title screen IIRC. The way I remember it, the 5th screen - Mario's bakery/pie level, was a hidden easter egg that you could only access after entering a code on the keypad. When you get to the level select screen, you press in and hold the left and right buttons and enter (IIRC) something like 1,2,3,1,2,1,2 and then it says "WARNING: MASTER SEQUENCE ACTIVATED", then the game starts. I've tried this on ADAMEM with a version I downloaded and as soon as I press the left and right controller buttons(simulated with the keyboard) I get the "WARNING: MASTER SEQUENCE ACTIVATED" message. I don't think entering a code has any effect on this version as far as I can tell.

Does anyone know what triggers that blob of dough to come out and chase you around on the 5th screen? Sometimes I play it and it comes out over and over and other times it never does.

What you are talking about is a preproduction release of Donkey Kong Junior for the Adam computer that was not finished by Coleco. I paid Walters Software a lot of hours to finish the program the way the program was suppose to be designed when it was finished. No modifications were made to graphics or sound in the videogame restoration. The only thing that needed to be done was to remove the secret hidden internal code and have the game automatically go to the 5th screen. If this version of Donkey Kong Junior with the 5th screen was every going to be released to the public that is the way it would have worked. Walter did an awesome job of restoring the Donkey Kong Junior to a quality of A+.

The version of Cabbage Patch Kids that says 148K appears to be a hacker that purposely was messing around with title screen. I have the exact same version of the improved Cabbage Patch Colecovision cartridge image that has a normal title screen. I had Walter look at it one day and he thought that someone for the fun of it just changed the title screen to say 148K. The cartridge was around 24K for the improved version if my memory was correct.

I try and make my posts as close to 100% accurate as possible. I made a minor error in this post that I wanted to correct now.

I should have said "128k" Cabbage Patch Kids version instead of saying "148K". The cartridge version is really only 24K length but someone changed the title screen to say "128K". Now maybe Coleco was going to developed a Supergame version of the Cabbage Patch Game sometime in the future.