IGNORED

My Official Coleco ADAM rant!

MopedFreak

Does anyone know where I can purchase the Space Invaders Collection 32K rom image to run on a Coleco emulator? Or I could purchase the Space Invaders Collection cartridge and with Copycart 2.0 make a backup copy onto 3 ½" Disk and play it on the Adam off of 3 ½" Disk. Then with some type of conversion program I could convert it to an IBM format Disk to be read by a Colecovision emulator.

The sound and Video quality of the Blue MX emulator for Colecovision is better quality then composte Video and Audio output on the Adam computer standalone. Only problem with Blue MX is it appears to only emulate the standard Coleco hand controllers and not the Super action controller, Roller controller and Expansion module #2 the steering wheel/pedal. Some coleco games require these other controllers.

I recall Opcode releasing the ROM to SIC himself, here on these forums after the game had been out a while so that people who wanted to try it out before buying could play it. I don't think he'd be mad.

You can play SA controller games with a regular controller by pressing buttons on the keypad. I've played Front Line this way when I was too lazy to go get my SA controllers.

Who's Weird Al Yankovich?

</spelling nazi>

Jeopard was indeed based upon Alex Trebek's version.

What's Jeopard?

A game show by the creator of Wheel of Fortun

Merv Griffi also created Dance Feve! I idolize Merv!

Bill- your font key is sticking again-- must be something to do with this thread.

Who's Weird Al Yankovich?

</spelling nazi>

Jeopard was indeed based upon Alex Trebek's version.

What's Jeopard?

A game show by the creator of Wheel of Fortun

Merv Griffi also created Dance Feve! I idolize Merv!

Bill- your font key is sticking again-- must be something to do with this thread.

:rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

The Adam game was released in the same year that the new Jeopardy! debuted, but it seemed like Weird Al Yankovich's song "I Lost On Jeopardy!" came out around the same time, and that was based on the 1960's game show. I'm so confused!

JR

Family Feud was an officially release from Coleco on Digital Data Pack for the ADAM. Jeopardy was never released by Coleco. Jeopardy was a completed preproduction game for the ADAM that never was officially released. Someone copied the program from some Coleco employee and for years Jeopardy has been floating around in public domain.

I had Walter’s Software take a look at it many years ago. He informed me that someone copied it from a 256K Digital Data Pack to a 160K 5 ¼” Disk. The program was copied by someone incorrectly and is missing questions from the original preproduction Digital Data Pack. For many years I looked for the full 256K Jeopardy but could never find it. The Jeopardy program crashes after it reaches the last question since the program is looking for the next question past 160K. Many years ago I paid Walter Software to write a fix for this. He fixed Jeopardy so that after it reaches the last question the program will not crash but will reset to the first set of questions.

Some people are using the fixed Jeopardy while others have the one that will crash after the last question set. Never was able to find any one that had the full Jeopardy. Some person made a mistake and did not copy the complete program when they had the chance from the original preproduction Digital Data Pack.

What year did you do this to your version of Jeopardy? I had it back in 84-85. It said nothing about Walters Software in it. IIRC it had a public domain title screen. I got it from an adam user group and it played fine all the way to the end, never crashed or locked up and didn't reset to the first set of questions.

What year did you do this to your version of Jeopardy? I had it back in 84-85. It said nothing about Walters Software in it. IIRC it had a public domain title screen. I got it from an adam user group and it played fine all the way to the end, never crashed or locked up and didn't reset to the first set of questions.

I don’t remember the exact year but I am sure it must have been some time in the late 80’s. I would have to check an old issue of NIAD newsletter to see when I started advertising my company in their newsletter.

All the video game restoration that Walters software did he never change any graphics, sound, or title screens to place his company or my company name on the program. The purpose was to keep the programs exactly in the same condition as the author would have attended it to be (Videogame restoration).

The version of Jeopardy that I have has the original copywrited title screen from Coleco. Some hacker changed the title screen to say that it was a public domain program. Coleco never released it into public domain. Who every this person was they hacked the title screen to say it was public domain then distributed the program to Adam users groups and Adam mail order companies.

The Jeopardy from Adam House, NIAD, and many other Adam groups that were tested all ended at 160K. We could never find the complete 256K program from the original Digital Data Pack master. My understanding is that you have to play Jeopardy for a very long time before the program will reach the last question set.

Does anyone know current contact information for Walter Software? I have not talked with him for years. Since he did the fix he would know more details about this issue.

The Adam game was released in the same year that the new Jeopardy! debuted, but it seemed like Weird Al Yankovich's song "I Lost On Jeopardy!" came out around the same time, and that was based on the 1960's game show. I'm so confused!

Weird Al was definitely referencing the Art Fleming/Don Pardo period of the Jeopardy show with his parody of Nik Kershaw's "Jeopardy" song. It was from his In 3D album.

Scanning this thread I saw the post about moving disks from Adam -> PC, but what about the other way around? Is there a way to write Adam disk images on a PC, or transfer them back and write them on the Adam?

The same program that moves the ADAM disks to the pc to be used in ADAMemulator can be used to bring them back from the pc to the ADAM world. The emulator program also can be used to create blank disks that can be filled while using the pc as an ADAM, then these too can be returned to the ADAM world. ;)

Edited by adamcomputer

Scanning this thread I saw the post about moving disks from Adam -> PC, but what about the other way around? Is there a way to write Adam disk images on a PC, or transfer them back and write them on the Adam?

The same program that moves the ADAM disks to the pc to be used in ADAMemulator can be used to bring them back from the pc to the ADAM world. The emulator program also can be used to create blank disks that can be filled while using the pc as an ADAM, then these too can be returned to the ADAM world. ;)

Now that's a pretty thorough emulator! I dare say it's more a tool than an emu, but since it will run Adam stuff, I'll refrain. :) -- and no, not looking to debate that statement, thanks tho!

As for the title screens, those were easy to change on the Adam itself back in the day-- even something as simple as the Basic language Hex editor would allow you to do such. I changed all my DDP.Disc games to show my name since several others I traded and played with had Adam's and games tended to disappear. :) Best theft-protection a 13 year old could hope for!

Here's a slight mod to the DKJ Supergame for example, useable in AdamEm... hope it's ok to share it. If not, I'll just attach screen shots.

Murph

DKJ_AA.zip

Edited by Murph74

• 2 weeks later...

Sweet - I tried it out and it worked like a champ! :)

Now - any idea on how to get rid of the humongous power supply? I found the power/connector pins on the internet and (in the most temporary and lazy fashion possible) hooked a PC power supply to a nine pin joystick cable, and the Adam powered up and booted the floppy, but the screen was mighty garbled.

I yanked the PS out of the printer and put it in the cheesiest 'housing' imaginable :lol: It is smaller and a bit more convenient, but I'd really like to get a modern small supply attached. :)

Edited by remowilliams

Sweet - I tried it out and it worked like a champ! :)

Now - any idea on how to get rid of the humongous power supply? I found the power/connector pins on the internet and (in the most temporary and lazy fashion possible) hooked a PC power supply to a nine pin joystick cable, and the Adam powered up and booted the floppy, but the screen was mighty garbled.

I yanked the PS out of the printer and put it in the cheesiest 'housing' imaginable :lol: It is smaller and a bit more convenient, but I'd really like to get a modern small supply attached. :)

Pulling hte power supply from teh printer is pretty straight forward if memory serves me-- undoing some screws and pulling a few connectors-- the final Power Uspply only unit should be the grey exposed bard you see int eh back of the printer, and it's attached power boards inside. Smallest I ever saw one cased was about the size of 4 VHS tapes-- not huge like the printer, but not nice and tight either.

There was also a mod, I think I saw recently, that allowed you to hardwire a colecovision power supply to run the adam sans printer. (check http://drushel.cwru.edu/atm/atm.html and look at section 6.3 to see the pinouts...)

Good luck!

Edited by Murph74

The reason why it's called the "Adam Game System" is because it can only provide enough power for the cartridge port. If you try to use the data pack drives or any other peripherals, it doesn't work properly. Unfortunately, only the Adam power supply in the printer or a true equivalent can correctly supply the system as anything but a stock ColecoVision.

And there ya have it. :)

This is a break from the current topic, but is definitely related to the ADAM. I'm currently interviewing an ex-Coleco employee for my website, ColecoNation. He worked as a programmer and spent the majority of his time at Coleco (from 1982 to 1984) developing the ADAM computer (it's operating system and software).

I know next to nothing about the ColecoVision's little brother, so I'm asking if all of you could think of some ADAM-specific questions that I could ask him. Send your burning questions to my email (ColecoNation@yahoo.com) or post them here and there's a good chance we'll be able to solve some of the mysteries that are associated with the ADAM.

Thank.

+ Nathan

This is a break from the current topic, but is definitely related to the ADAM. I'm currently interviewing an ex-Coleco employee

I know next to nothing about the ColecoVision's little brother, so I'm asking if all of you could think of some ADAM-specific questions that I could ask him. Send your burning questions to my email (ColecoNation@yahoo.com) or post them here and there's a good chance we'll be able to solve some of the mysteries that are associated with the ADAM.

Thank.

+ Nathan

What software prototypes were worked on? How many were close to release (And not just games, either)

What peripherals were planned?

What was the projected lifspan for the ADAM?

Were other printer types considered to replace the daisy-wheel?

What was his #1 ADAM project?

What thing did he like least about the ADAM?

Who put the bop in the bop-shu-bop-shu-bop?

:D

Want the question that I believe was the root of Coleco's downfall? Here goes....

Anyone who knows anything about business knows that you can either strive to be the high quality leader or the low cost leader, but not both. The Colecovision was clearly a success because it was the highest quality gaming experience (not the lowest cost). So why on earth did Coleco do a complete 180 with the Adam? The Adam was clearly designed and promoted as a low cost computing experience (not the highest quality). Why would any company in their right mind turn and walk away from the very thing that had made them such a huge success? Why! Why! Why!

(Of course, I suppose the answer is probably incompetent management)

Edited by else

Anyone who knows anything about business knows that you can either strive to be the high quality leader or the low cost leader, but not both. The Colecovision was clearly a success because it was the highest quality gaming experience (not the lowest cost). So why on earth did Coleco do a complete 180 with the Adam? The Adam was clearly designed and promoted as a low cost computing experience (not the highest quality). Why would any company in their right mind turn and walk away from the very thing that had made them such a huge success? Why! Why! Why!

(Of course, I suppose the answer is probably incompetent management)

Incompetent management is indeed largely part of the answer, but there are other factors:

1) The Adam's final design was the result of the combined effort of a large number of people - who were not all concentrated in the same geographical location - and this design had to be finalized in a very short period of time. Any experienced business manager will tell you that this is a recipee for disaster, especially when the decision-makers let the technical people do what they want with no coherent vision (other than simple directives like making it compatible with the CV console, and keeping the manufacturing costs down). Coleco's engineers spent far too little time on the overall design, and had no real idea of what audience the Adam was supposed to cater to, so they ended up doing a jack-of-all-trades-but-master-of-none system. Meanwhile, the people in marketing just waited for the Adam to be finalized, and they figured they would just do the best marketing campaign they could do with whatever the tech guys would come up with. It is this lack of coherent vision that is at the root of what the Adam ended up being: A bulky modular system that wasn't really modular at all.

2) Coleco realized way too late that they didn't know what they were doing in the home computer business. They had this old "IBM" way of thinking, where third-party software was seen as an unnecessary evil which had to be controlled by limiting access to the technical documentation of the machine. At the same time, Coleco just didn't have the resources to support the Adam with interesting first-party software: Do you know many people who actually bought and used Recipee Filer? Like several other Adam titles, it was condemned to remain shelfware as soon as it appeared in stores, while the Super Games made far more business sense. So again, as much for software as for hardware, lack of coherent vision made the Adam an irrelevant player in home computing, which more successful companies like Commodore and Atari mostly ignored.

Most people's fond memories of the Adam are based on two of its components: The expandable Z80-based core (inside the memory console) and the keyboard. Anyone could see that the Adam had a lot of potential at the software level, especially when the system was upgraded with more RAM, and it is that unfulfilled potential that sparked the birth of the Adam user community that still exists today.

Coleco was instrumental in teaching other companies what NOT to do when marketing a home computer. It just goes to show how pioneers can make tremendous mistakes, and eventually die because of them, while others strive by avoiding serious pitfalls.

• Like 1

This is a break from the current topic, but is definitely related to the ADAM. I'm currently interviewing an ex-Coleco employee for my website, ColecoNation. He worked as a programmer and spent the majority of his time at Coleco (from 1982 to 1984) developing the ADAM computer (it's operating system and software).

Thank.

+ Nathan

Since he worked as a programmer for Coleco I wonder if he has any preproduction copies of games like Smurf the Super Game that was verified to be completed by a reliable source. It would be interesting to find out if he would allow one to make copies of preproduction programs if he has any. Many years ago some Coleco employees made copies of preproduction programs for friends or for sale for the right price.

I wish that these former Coleco employees would one day release preproduction software and hardware designs to the world so that this information for future generations is not lost. What Coleco and companies had planned should be available for the world videogame community to see. Hopefully some of these Coleco employees that have preproduction's hardware and software will sell or donate the items to a Video game museum so peoples hard work will not be lost for ever.

It would be very cool to have a nationwide Classic Computer and Video game museum that contained all released items and some preproduction items for all systems and brands.

Edited by HDTV1080P

I see stuff like this and it makes me wonder if there are ADAM Super Game versions of Smurf, Time Pilot and Turbo waiting to be discovered.

56_1.JPG

It looks like Gorf the Super game for the Adam computer was either finished or close to being finished. Some former Coleco employees either have preproduction hardware and software or got rid of it at a garage sale or threw it away when they moved. For example Subroc the supergame and Jeopardy are two finished programs by Coleco that was never released but are floating around in public domain.

Here is a quote from Coleconation interviewing some Coleco employees and the subject of Gorf the Supergame comes up twice from two different employees that worked on it.

"NK_ What was your involvement with the Super Game Module?

PJ_ I supervised and guided the designers and artists on all of the Super Game projects that were intended for eventual use on the system. I even developed a game sequence for one of them, Gorf."

http://www.coleconation.com/060609.html

"NK_ What were some of the last games you worked on?

DJ_ There was a version of Super Gorf, which I don't think was ever released. There were some educational software projects based on children's books notably the Berenstein Bears, Richard Scarry and Dr. Seuss."

http://www.coleconation.com/060408.html

Reading interviews from former Coleco employees it is interesting. Some of the rare unreleased stuff they had might have been lost forever if thrown away when one relocates or moves.

The WWW.COLECONATION.COM is another awesome Coleco website with interesting information.

Edited by HDTV1080P