IGNORED

eBay shipping: how much is too much?

LS650

Oh yeah. For example today I had a empty jaguar cd box i gave away for free on the condition the person would cover shipping. So a guy msg'd me and it cost 6.50 to ship it to him, he sent it via paypal and off it went.

When I got home and double checked my paypal account, paypal charged me 49¢ to make the 6.50 transaction, so I actually lost a little to get rid of it.

It's not the biggest deal, but when you consider sellers have a listing fee, final selling price fee, and paypal transaction fee, those add up quite a lot trust me. Just looking at my last 14 paypal transaction, i've lost 22.31 in paypal fees. Ebay takes 5% of each transaction under $20, and 2.5% of anything over $20 iirc, not to mention the 35¢ _minimum_ auction style listing fee, which doesn't include any of the extra options such as additional pictures or bold print ect ect.

True, but honest ebay sellers build those costs into the price of the item. Using the shipping to cover paypal and ebay's fees is not only dishonest it's against ebays TOS. You can charge reasonable handling fees, but not to cover the cost of using ebay and/or paypals service.

It's sellers like this guy who FORCE ebay and paypal to keep hiking thier rates. It's sealing from both them and the buyer plain and simple.

And this crap about "well you agreed to the shipping charge" is too just that...crap. He agreed to pay $30 bucks and trusted that $30 was the cost to ship, not $13 for shipping and $16 to pad the sellers wallet because "I to recoup the $4.00 in ebay fees so I'll make that up 400% and you won't figure that out until I have your $$ and its too late."

Thank you for shopping, please come again. :roll:

I said the Topic starter didnt get a fair shake. Tell me How can you build it into the price when every hobo on ebay wants something for nothing? Games that are worth 10$ regularly go for .99 and youre supposed to build it into the price? Who doesnt like to pay cheap for something? I sure do but if a guy is charging any flat rate shipping im uncomfortable paying, Id move on like a normal person. go try to sell before you comment that "honest sellers" blah blah blah...Honest? The price is listed there for most sellers and you still bitch! Dont pay any shipping, get of your ass and go find them yourself and quit bitchin. Stop trying to make the people you depend on to find you games the bad guy. Ebay can shove their TOS because theyre as corrupt as a Politician at a fund raiser. If anyone is forcing anything its Ebay onto their sellers.

So Jetset, a seller selling a $10 game for 10$ and charging $4 to ship is more honest and better than a seller selling one for .99 and charging 8$ to ship(these are random numbers) The 2nd guy is dishonest? Heck the 2nd guy probably combines shipping and the $4 shipper tells you to piss off too. Man how lucky you are to deal with that honest guy though! DUH! If the shipping is stated, then the guy is honest any way you slice it. get a clue! Get off your ass and you wont have these problems.

Edited by Phantom

True, but honest ebay sellers build those costs into the price of the item. Using the shipping to cover paypal and ebay's fees is not only dishonest it's against ebays TOS. You can charge reasonable handling fees, but not to cover the cost of using ebay and/or paypals service.

It's sellers like this guy who FORCE ebay and paypal to keep hiking thier rates. It's sealing from both them and the buyer plain and simple.

i dont "build any cost" into the item. I start my games at a fair $5 regardless of the title and let bidders pay what they wish. I can't say "pay for the game + $2 to recoup my losses for ebay/paypal fees". It doesn't work like that. I think i'm pretty fair considering there are sellers who look at completed auctions, average out the price, and tack on $10-15 to get the highest possible price from an unsuspecting buyer. That's capitalism and those sellers usually re-list and drop price quite a few times before it sells, but they still get the very top dollar for their game. If I have a bad day on ebay and a $40 game sells for $30, my loss and someone got a great deal. I didn't rape the new guy by having a $50 BIN and he didnt know any better.

I dont find my shipping cost unfair or outrageous. It covers shipping, the packaging, and is it so bad I can't make $1 back to cover my $2 in fees? I think not.

I've met many sellers with $8-9 shipping fees who i've messaged and said "hey, you can ship that game for $3, but i'll give you $5 if you want to cover the additioanl materials and time" and had the seller reply "I charge $3 for shipping and $5 handling"... heh..

But at the end of the day, you control what you buy and how much you pay for it. In ls650's case I would've replied and said "$30 doesn't sound right, can you get me an exact quote from the post office and add $X for handling/material". Honestly you got screwed and bit the bullet for the loss, but I'd definitely pass on that seller next time I was interested in his item.

I might take it a step further and ask for a partial refund on shipping, and if not give him a neutral for profiting $15 on shipping. (assuming he's already left you feedback and can't respond with a neg). $5 profit on shipping i'd be upset with and could move on, but $15 i'd definitely take some sort of action. You paid for the game and shipping/handling/materials, there was no mention of a $15 donation in the transaction.

Edited by scott21

Here's my rant about the subject. First off I'm in Canada so it's even worse here. People want excessive amounts to Canada for nothing (airmail to Canada is the same as mailing to the US, virtually). For example, I frequently pay $4.00 to ship Game Boy games which cost a whole 90 cents in true cost. I paid $25 to ship some $8.75 worth of NES games. Yes, it wasn't terrible because the price of the auctions were about a buck or so for 10 of them. However, where I get mad is that the sellers don't realize is that the reason Ebay fees rise is because they know they're getting screwed in shipping! It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure this out. As far as I'm concerned, per game, there should be a set rate, giving the seller a slight leeway in case of error. It just saves time screwing around looking and adding up prices.

Ebay sellers don't seem to realize, they're probably getting way more for their crap than what they'd get locally. True they take money from sellers and buyers, but the sellers act as though they're King Shit on Turd Mountain, yapping about handling fees and their time. Newsflash, idiot, it's like a garage sale. You don't see people pricing things at garage sales according to the time it takes to write the price on the item. Any time I read this in a listing, I'm out of it and won't buy it. Screw me over on shipping, ok. Try to say you want to be paid to essentially have a mini garage sale? Give me a break.

I never bid without knowing the price, ever. And I will bid more on items from people who charge accurate shipping.

Ebay sellers don't seem to realize, they're probably getting way more for their crap than what they'd get locally. True they take money from sellers and buyers, but the sellers act as though they're King Shit on Turd Mountain, yapping about handling fees and their time. Newsflash, idiot, it's like a garage sale. You don't see people pricing things at garage sales according to the time it takes to write the price on the item. Any time I read this in a listing, I'm out of it and won't buy it. Screw me over on shipping, ok. Try to say you want to be paid to essentially have a mini garage sale? Give me a break.

I never bid without knowing the price, ever. And I will bid more on items from people who charge accurate shipping.

How do you explain Paypal hiting you for shipping fees? they shouldnt be taxed at all and youre saying its the sellers fault LMAO! Dont give me this shit that its all the sellers fault. And I never said excessive was right nor fair. I said a FEW bucks. The excessive ones are the few that get all your panties in a bunch but gives every seller a bad rep as a whole. I dont know what goes on shipping wise in the rest of Ebay or what goes on exactly in the video games these days but if you think the shipping prices on video games is why Ebay keeps raising fees, then I must be on Mars. keep making excuses for Ebay. I hope they go the way of the phonograph. You have every right to pass on an auction, so use your right to pass and quit complaining. Better yet, get off your ass and go to a garage sale then. Cheers

Edited by Phantom

I call for every Classic Video game seller on Feebay to give up your Stores and auctions after christmas and then see how much Ebay Begs you with special offers to get you back selling. One of you sellers should take the lead and unite all classic game sellers to fight their ridiculous fees. Leave for a few months in unison if you must and watch their Bottom line drop just from that small sector. It would be great to watch them squirm. Am i dreaming, probably, but its not an impossibility. Ebay flat out sucks!

How do you explain Paypal hiting you for shipping fees? they shouldnt be taxed at all and youre saying its the sellers fault LMAO! Dont give me this shit that its all the sellers fault. And I never said excessive was right nor fair. I said a FEW bucks. The excessive ones are the few that get all your panties in a bunch but gives every seller a bad rep as a whole. I dont know what goes on shipping wise in the rest of Ebay or what goes on exactly in the video games these days but if you think the shipping prices on video games is why Ebay keeps raising fees, then I must be on Mars. keep making excuses for Ebay. I hope they go the way of the phonograph. You have every right to pass on an auction, so use your right to pass and quit complaining. Better yet, get off your ass and go to a garage sale then. Cheers

Paypal screws me pennies, sellers screw me dollars.

Paypal screws me pennies, sellers screw me dollars.

I like that. :D Pretty much sums it all up with (many but not all) sellers.

I'd be willing to bet it's up around 90% that drastically overcharge shipping. It wouldn't be bad, but it's annoying filtering through the prices. The buyer is the one always at risk on Ebay, we lose more money than a few pennies a seller loses on a non-payer. I don't mind $2-$2.50 for an Atari game, but most go around $5. Gamecube and PS2 go to $6.00, lots aroun $8.00 to Canada. That's 3-400% increase, and they try to say Ebay is screwing them with the fees. How about these people charging me $5.00 for Game Boy games that arrive with 90 cents on the non-padded envelope. :roll:

Edited by bretthorror

Hello again... original poster here.

I wrote to the seller and said I was happy with the item, but I was surprised with a "handling charge" of almost $17 on top of the shipping.

He replied with a polite note saying that international shipping is often a hassle, the packaging was all new and pricey, etc. He also said I was the first person to ever complain about high shipping! However, he didn't offer any kind of reimbursement.

Overall though, I'm happy because I really wanted this item (which is somewhat uncommon) so I gave him a positive feedback. In the future I'll be sure to query any shipping estimates that I think are excessive...

Phantom: I completely backed you up. Check my posts. It's Christophero Sly that seems to have a problem. "Fleecing my customers?" For what, charging $5 to ship a boxed freaking game?

Don't put words in my mouth. I haven't made any comment about shipping boxed games for $5.

eBay and Paypal fees are the seller's responsibility. You can't argue that fact. Those fees are the cost of doing business on ebay and of using ebay's services. No matter how you (ir)rationalize it, when you pass these responsibilities onto the buyer through inflated shipping charges, you're fleecing them. If you don't like these fees, then don't sell on ebay! You and Phantom, whose rambling screeds I can't follow, seem to believe that selling on ebay is an entitlement. It is not.

Csly: I'm not putting words in your mouth, you are indirectly saying I am fleecing customers based on my eBay selling habits without even KNOWING what my prices are when I sell.

You think me selling a game for $5 is fleecing according to your words. I NEVER said I inflated my shipping charges based on PayPal/eBay fees. I just stated my opinion that THEY are the reason why the shipping is $$$ on eBay, not us with their crazy fee handling.

Take this into consideration, I have someone package up my items, and take them to the post office. I have to pay for the materials which include: tape, some boxes, bubble mailers, pens, etc. I have to pay for the person's services since I work full-time and have little time to get it done myself. I ship out either Priority Mail or First Class with D/C. On CD or DVD type items, as an example, AMAZON will give the seller back a $3.49 shipping credit which they state should go towards MEDIA MAIL, which you should know is around $1.59 or less. My postage on those particular items is around $2.40-2.50. Do you really think I am FLEECING anyone because I charge $5 and have to pay for someone to help, AND materials?

Csly: Do you sell on eBay? I've been a Powerseller for awhile, and they don't make it easy to make a buck on certain items. As Phantom said before, if you can't realize that 0.99 + 5.00 is better than 3.99 + 3.00, then you need to not even bother with eBay yourself if you can't decipher the difference. We pay eBay enough money. I am not going to have them take even MORE money LOSING money on shipping just to appease you, AND give them a better Final Value Fee AND insertion fee. Why do you THINK eBay is cracking down on this? They don't base their fees off of our shipping.

If I was charging too much money, then you can say anything, but unless you sell as much as we do, or even BUY a great deal on eBay, you have no basis for complaining. Answer is simple, don't buy from that person and move on to thr next one.

There are so many scam's and unethical people on eBay, how can anyone NOT ask questions before they bid about what they are supposed to receive, how much the TOTAL price will be, and by what method of shipping the item will arrive?? For anyone to say "Well, I paid $8 (or whatever amount) shipping and EXPECTED it to arrive priority, insured, boxed, and properly packaged but instead it arrived in an envelope with a 50cent stamp on it" not only makes the seller greedy but the buyer a fool (sorry if this sounds harsh).

I'm sorry that the original poster paid a $17 handling charge. And yes, indeed, the seller was greedy. But EVERYONE who plays the eBay game by placing a bid on an item has a responsibility to protect themselves as much as they can, and asking questions before they bid is a big one. If a seller tells you he will ship priority, boxed, and insured and it arrives via media in an envelope uninsured, then the seller lied, is a "scumbag" and you have a legitimate complaint and there are avenues of refunds open to you. But if you ask no questions and bid on the auction, simply knowing there is an "$8 shipping charge", and the seller ships any way they choose by whatever method they choose, then you have no complaint because you ACCEPTED THOSE TERMS when you bid on the auction.

It would be a perfect world if everyone acted as responsible and honest as you & I. But its not a perfect world and we all know there are scam artists, ripoff kings, and just plain dishonest people everywhere we walk. Complain when a seller delibertly lies to you by not doing what they say they will do. Don't buy from anyone whom you feel overcharges or is running a scam. But please don't complain when you bid irresponsibly and allow someone to take advantage of you because you didn't ask questions before placing your bid. The seller has responsibilities but so does the buyer, and I find quite often that the seller gets all the blame when the buyer shares it as well.

This post was not a direct response to the original poster but a general response and my opinion to all the posts within this thread.

Mendon

Edited by Mendon

Csly: Do you sell on eBay? I've been a Powerseller for awhile, and they don't make it easy to make a buck on certain items. As Phantom said before, if you can't realize that 0.99 + 5.00 is better than 3.99 + 3.00, then you need to not even bother with eBay yourself if you can't decipher the difference.

I quit eBay (for several reasons) a few months back and I'm a little unsure of this, so please correct me if I'm wrong: if purchase something on eBay and pay for it using PayPal and then have a dispute with the seller, doesn't eBay promise to only recover your purchase price but not shipping?

If the above is true, then I see a BIG difference between buying something for 0.99 +$5 shipping and $2.99 and $3.00 shipping.

Mendon

Edited by Mendon

For anyone to say "Well, I paid $8 (or whatever amount) shipping and EXPECTED it to arrive priority, insured, boxed, and properly packaged but instead it arrived in an envelope with a 50cent stamp on it" not only makes the seller greedy but the buyer a fool (sorry if this sounds harsh).

Another lesson I've learned as an eBay buyer is to always check all of the seller's negatives. Free site http://www.toolhaus.org has a great little search engine that will find all the negatives and let you compare them in seconds. eBay should really have this feature. Anyway, if you see complaints from multiple people - and especially over a long time - that look suspicious ("never received item," "item arrived was not the item pictured," etc), do not buy from that seller, no matter what they say. My only negative, a lie made in retaliation for my legitimate negative, came from someone I should never have dealt with, and wouldn't have, if I had performed this simple check.

Mendon: PayPal can recover the ENTIRE amount if there is a discrepancy. eBay will charge you $25 to go through that process I believe. In this instance it really does not matter how much the item is because PayPal is who you deal with for something such as that.

As for the Canada Air Mail Shipping issue I read about earlier, it may COST the same, but there is no inexpensive way to ship items to Canada WITH TRACKING. I have seen the Customs Form come up a few times on tracking, but that is very unreliable. You need registered mail, or UPS, or a tracking service. Basically a US Seller is not protected very well shipping Internationally to begin with, so I don't understand the cheap shipping argument there if there are so many scammers.

Another thing I have seen people do is when someone on here is ripped off on shipping, I have seen people tell them to just file a claim with PayPal as if they did not RECEIVE the item because the seller failed to put any type of tracking on it. The scams are unbelievable.

And I know this is another topic,but I see people on here selling repros/hacks of games that violate all copyright laws, and then get mad when a forum member buys one, and sells it on eBay, as if the person making the hack has the right to even complain after the copyright laws are being thrown out the window?

CSly: If you want to start complaining about what is "right" from "wrong", then you need to re-evaluate the LAWS of certain things. From what I understand, THAT is illegal. Charging an extra handling fee on eBay is NOT.

Just an example to get everyone thinking a bit, because I know there are people out there that thing hacks of existing games and selling them based on a licensed property even with no profit is legal, and complain about eBay sellers and an extra $2 shipping, what a paradox!

Phantom: I completely backed you up. Check my posts. It's Christophero Sly that seems to have a problem. "Fleecing my customers?" For what, charging $5 to ship a boxed freaking game?

Don't put words in my mouth. I haven't made any comment about shipping boxed games for $5.

eBay and Paypal fees are the seller's responsibility. You can't argue that fact. Those fees are the cost of doing business on ebay and of using ebay's services. No matter how you (ir)rationalize it, when you pass these responsibilities onto the buyer through inflated shipping charges, you're fleecing them. If you don't like these fees, then don't sell on ebay! You and Phantom, whose rambling screeds I can't follow, seem to believe that selling on ebay is an entitlement. It is not.

The 4th grade reading skills wont get you no where. Paypal is the sellers responsibility because PP and Ebay dont want to look like the bad guy to buyers. It is the conveinence of the Buyer, most sellers would rather take money orders if there werent so many hobos not paying. I just argued that so there. Again, use restraint and DONT BID/BuY. Youre taking a few instances and blanketing all. Most sellers also combine shipping. If 5$ to ship something that costs $2 to ship is fleecing, then lets just say i disagree. Theres also packaging cost among others. You think, like most ebayers, that if its 2$ to ship then that should be it and then you say to build ebays fees into the price? Good luck with that. You all complain when a Crazy Climber sells for more than $25 because thats what youre willing to pay when it lists for much more, I guess the sellers should just sell to you for whatever it is you want to pay. I dont sell on ebay smart guy, because of cheap ass hobos like you who expect something for nothing. Its is an entitlement if youre the one paying the fees and are running a business. Its also the buyers entitlement to pass on any item. Ive bought and Ive sold on there and i would never do it again because of the whining bitch chicks like yourself. I'll say it one more time, if you dont like it, get off your ass and find them yourself but quit the bitchin.

Edited by Phantom

Exactomundo. Ebay was not intended to be a full-time job for people who can't or won't get one. It's an online garage sale to get rid of crap and make a few bucks. Many sellers see ebay as an opportunity to make this huge profit off stuff they'd just as soon throw out, and use devious methods to trick buyers into paying more than they realize. Unfortunately, the bottom line is 99% of buyers aren't out to scam or rip anyone off, while 50% or more of sellers are wiling to go to any extreme to make up thier precious $2.76 in listing fees by charging $8.00 extra in shipping charges.

Whatever. I dont even respond to some of the ramblings here. I just laugh when those same people whine that thier items aren't selling, and it's all Ebay's fault. Some only post here to advertise thier auctions, then you dont hear from them ever again. Works for me!

Oh man, there is nothing more despicable than feedback held hostage. It makes me think that the seller IS indeed a shady bastard when they don't leave you feedback once you've completed your ned of the deal. There should be someway to tell when feedback has been left, and who left it first. I mean:

I win an auction, pay through paypal, with a verified address, then send an immediate follow up email to notify the seller that I sent the payment, and then double check my mailing address with the seller... shouldn't that deserve feedback then, and there for upholding all responsibilities on my end of the bargain, and being quick and efficient in the process? When I buy in such a fashion, and uphold more than my end of the bargain, I SHOULD NOT have to leave the seller feedback FIRST.

Porbably my biggest beef w/the feedback system on ebay.

jetset wrote:

"Exactomundo. Ebay was not intended to be a full-time job for people who can't or won't get one. It's an online garage sale to get rid of crap and make a few bucks. "

O RLY? Hrm, why does eBay sent propaganda to my house after being in the Powerseller program ENCOURAGING ME to sell as much as possible, as it IS a full time job essentially, and THEY UNDERSTAND THIS, having workshops set up regionally, and telephone reps calling and setting up meetings for free for Powersellers because they want to KEEP YOUR BUSINESS.

Also, did you know you can qualify for some random medical benefits (pharmaceutical) from eBay as well if you are a Powerseller? In fact, the workshops ENCOURAGE the HANDLING fee for businesses.

Gee jetset, I'm sure glad you know your stuff. Online garage sale? Not anymore. You must be living in the stone ages with the amount of major retailers and distributors selling new products on eBay. Full-time job for people that can't get a job or don't WANT a job? Wow, I did not know that listing and selling and taking pictures of items and all those eBay stores like iSOLD it don't want to get real jobs. When iSoldit charges me $8 shipping for an item I won on eBay and ships it for $2.65, they are IN THEIR right to do that. I decided to purchase it after reading their terms.

Are people going to attack the iSoldits and SELL ON eBay Brick and Mortar stores because they charge handling fees too?

You forget, this is a freaking capitalist economy we live in. If you want to really get down to the bottom of it, EVERYONE is making money on something. We all need to get to the source (China) and live in 4 bedroom houses in Shanghai for $40,000. Let's go and buy our toys we see in retail stores for the REAL PRODUCTION COST! (standard 19.99 products cost around $6 to make in China, sometimes less.)

To complain about this now after you have a choice of what to do in the matter is probably the stupidest thing I have ever seen. "Selling on eBay full-time is for those that don't want to get a job, or can't find one", that's the biggest load of crap I've ever read.

I don't even sell full-time and I am offended by it because you are just attacking someone's profession. By your point, ANYONE that buys and sells ANYTHING falls in this category, because eBay is essentially a medium utilized for people to do this. Nice.

Edited by DreamTR

This is one of those discussions that recurs every so often. I still think that the reason for these excessive shipping charges is that ebay doesn't charge fees for shipping costs.

If they charged the same fee for shipping costs as they do for the selling price, a lot of this would be eliminated. Of course, they should also reduce the overall level of fees to compensate for the extra take, but, if they did so, it would even things out a good deal.

Sellers have to pay a proportion of what they make to ebay. Whether it's a proportion of the selling price, or a proportion of the seliing price plus the shipping cost, is largely irrelevant from a seller's point of view, unless they are selling lots of heavy, bulky, low-value items, as long as the overall sum is the same.

I guess the sellers should just sell to you for whatever it is you want to pay.

Yes, exactly! This is what we call an "auction." :ponder: I'm glad we've finally all come to an understanding! :D

Then the sellers should go the F away and let your lazy asses do the work. If a seller pays $5 for a $10 game, you offer $1 and claim $4 shipping is too much to pay. Tell the truth, you all do it, why not fess up? And there are things such as Fixed Prices? Yes, so no, its not all auctions DUH and you missed the point anyhow. and you all who complain obviously dont have control not to bid. Its not your right as a buyer to make up rules for the seller. If you dont like a sellers conditions , Move the F on but no, you all just bitch and bitch and bitch like a bunch of entitled girlscouts. Its that F'n simple, DO NOT BID!

This is one of those discussions that recurs every so often. I still think that the reason for these excessive shipping charges is that ebay doesn't charge fees for shipping costs.

If they charged the same fee for shipping costs as they do for the selling price, a lot of this would be eliminated. Of course, they should also reduce the overall level of fees to compensate for the extra take, but, if they did so, it would even things out a good deal.

Sellers have to pay a proportion of what they make to ebay. Whether it's a proportion of the selling price, or a proportion of the seliing price plus the shipping cost, is largely irrelevant from a seller's point of view, unless they are selling lots of heavy, bulky, low-value items, as long as the overall sum is the same.

Umm Yes they most certainly do, they just have their sister paypal hit you for shipping fees and why should shipping fees be taxed more? It would even things out? Umm NO, It would drive up your shipping price even more.

Edited by Phantom