IGNORED

eBay shipping: how much is too much?

LS650

I'm saying that I recognize there are extra expenses (mostly involving time) that a seller incurs outside of shipping. I bought a couple of INTV carts (boxed) for about .50 each and I think I paid 8 bucks for shipping/handling/etc. I'll admit I thought that was too much, initially, but the sellers had tested and cleaned the carts and also guaranteed that they would work. They were also packaged well and sent promptly. The actual shipping costs were about $2.00. In their description the sellers even say that their charge for shipping and handling would be more than the amount it would cost to ship the item because of the effort they put in to cleaning and testing as well as their guarantee. The fact that they spelled this out up front and actually described what they had done (cleaning/testing) did a lot for me accepting the fact that they were charging 4x actual shipping costs.

So, yeah, I care about service and I don't mind paying a little extra for handling, especially if there's signs of actual handling.

You got totally fleeced, plain and simple. I don't know why you, the buyer, are trying to justify it. The seller had no justification for charging you 4x(!) the actual shippings costs. Cleaning and testing isn't something the buyer has to pay a fee for. That's absolutely unacceptable and it's absurd for anyone to suggest that the seller is entitled to charge a fee for this. Testing is what every seller should do as part of being a responsible an honest human being.

And paying for a guarantee!?! I'll sell you a 5200 controller, guaranteed to work, if you pay me 3x it's value. :roll:

I don't like it when I ask what shipping will cost and I'm told an amount that is more than what it actually costs. I think I'm just asking the wrong question and need to be more specific like I mentioned earlier.

I can't understand why you feel it is the buyer's responsibility to query the seller as to the exact nature of the shipping charge.

I'm saying that I recognize there are extra expenses (mostly involving time) that a seller incurs outside of shipping. I bought a couple of INTV carts (boxed) for about .50 each and I think I paid 8 bucks for shipping/handling/etc. I'll admit I thought that was too much, initially, but the sellers had tested and cleaned the carts and also guaranteed that they would work. They were also packaged well and sent promptly. The actual shipping costs were about $2.00. In their description the sellers even say that their charge for shipping and handling would be more than the amount it would cost to ship the item because of the effort they put in to cleaning and testing as well as their guarantee. The fact that they spelled this out up front and actually described what they had done (cleaning/testing) did a lot for me accepting the fact that they were charging 4x actual shipping costs.

So, yeah, I care about service and I don't mind paying a little extra for handling, especially if there's signs of actual handling.

You got totally fleeced, plain and simple. I don't know why you, the buyer, are trying to justify it. The seller had no justification for charging you 4x(!) the actual shippings costs. Cleaning and testing isn't something the buyer has to pay a fee for. That's absolutely unacceptable and it's absurd for anyone to suggest that the seller is entitled to charge a fee for this. Testing is what every seller should do as part of being a responsible an honest human being.

And paying for a guarantee!?! I'll sell you a 5200 controller, guaranteed to work, if you pay me 3x it's value. :roll:

I don't like it when I ask what shipping will cost and I'm told an amount that is more than what it actually costs. I think I'm just asking the wrong question and need to be more specific like I mentioned earlier.

I can't understand why you feel it is the buyer's responsibility to query the seller as to the exact nature of the shipping charge.

its not the buyers business at all unless it is way out of line. You, as the buyer, seem to think youre entitled to other peoples time and because you say so. TIME IS MONEY, atleast mine is.

Umm anything that takes up your time in ANY business is a cost and is always passed onto the consumer. Video games should be different? No one ever said the 3 or 4 x's the amount was fair. The fact is the hobos want to pay .99, exact shipping and have it cleaned and tested since you think its your right as a buyer. Stop with the 3 and 4 times shipping already, even the original poster here paid about double which was still unfair but he should have brought it up to the seller BEFORE he paid his money. If you keep saying 3 and 4 x's was the shipping prices we've been discussing, of course your arguement sounds better, especially when thats flat untrue. Your time is obviously worth nothing either so please come over, my collection needs a good cleaning. As ive said before , I'll say it again, get off your fat asses and go out in the real world and find your own games if you dont like people finding them for you. If you complain about every nickel and how it is your RIGHT not to pay for someone elses time, then you should find them yourself or go buy the as-is stuff and hope and pray. But stop expecting something for nothing and on top of that, stating that testing and cleaning is something a seller should do and is expected! Why, so you can come along and buy a perfect item for .99 and bitch about the $2 you overpaid in shipping charges? Absurd!

Edited by Phantom

Someone made the comment that as a buyer, the only thing we should care about is the final price. I disagree.

Only caring about the final price is not a good spending habit. You buy three things: the Item, the shipping cost, and the Seller's service.

Sellers service? Ebay Buyers care about that? Since when?

This is a perfect example of what Im talking about. Both seller and buyer seem to be happy and on the same page. And shipping was more than it actual cost. BTW, I wasnt being sarcastic to you about service, It was meant to the group that thinks they deseve service for no charge. thanks

its not the buyers business at all unless it is way out of line.

Wrong.
Umm anything that takes up your time in ANY business is a cost and is always passed onto the consumer. Video games should be different?
No, video games aren't different, auctions are different. In a traditional business, costs are built into the fixed price of an item. In an ebay auction, the costs of doing buisness must be taken from the final ending price. If you are concerened about these costs, then you should start the bidding at or even above these costs to ensure that you don't take a loss.

No one ever said the 3 or 4 x's the amount was fair.
Of course they haven't, only a dishonest seller or a foolish buyer would argue that position.

even the original poster here paid about double which was still unfair but he should have brought it up to the seller BEFORE he paid his money.
Determining the exact nature of the shipping fee is not the buyer's repsonsibility. The buyer is entitled to the assumption that the shipping and handling costs reflect the actual costs, and don't include all sorts of absurd hidden fees designed to pad the seller's profit.

If you keep saying 3 and 4 x's was the shipping prices we've been discussing, of course your arguement sounds better, especially when thats flat untrue.
It's true; do the math. In Mezrabad's case, $8 was 4x the actual shipping costs of $2.

Even adding a generous $2 for packaging costs only adds to $4. That's double the stated shipping costs and, as you just said above, even charging double is wrong. Moreover, $4 is left over to pad the seller's profit--4x the value of the two ¢50 auction items.

If you complain about every nickel and how it is your RIGHT not to pay for someone elses time, then you should find them yourself or go buy the as-is stuff and hope and pray.
I'll think I'll just continue to buy from honest sellers.

This is a perfect example of what Im talking about. Both seller and buyer seem to be happy and on the same page. And shipping was more than it actual cost.
A 4x fleecing is your perfect example!?! What was this you were just saying?

Edited by Christophero Sly

its not the buyers business at all unless it is way out of line.

Wrong.
Umm anything that takes up your time in ANY business is a cost and is always passed onto the consumer. Video games should be different?
No, video games aren't different, auctions are different. In a traditional business, costs are built into the fixed price of an item. In an ebay auction, the costs of doing buisness must be taken from the final ending price. If you are concerened about these costs, then you should start the bidding at or even above these costs to ensure that you don't take a loss.

Of course they haven't, only a dishonest seller or a foolish buyer would argue that position.

even the original poster here paid about double which was still unfair but he should have brought it up to the seller BEFORE he paid his money.
Determining the exact nature of the shipping fee is not the buyer's repsonsibility. The buyer is entitled to the assumption that the shipping and handling costs reflect the actual costs, and don't include all sorts of absurd hidden fees designed to pad the seller's profit.

If you keep saying 3 and 4 x's was the shipping prices we've been discussing, of course your arguement sounds better, especially when thats flat untrue.
It's true; do the math. In Merzabad's case, $8 was 4x the actual shipping costs of $2.

Even adding a generous $2 for packaging costs only adds to $4. That's double the stated shipping costs and, as you just said above, even charging double is wrong. Moreover, $4 is left over to pad the seller's profit--4x the value of the two ¢50 auction items.

If you complain about every nickel and how it is your RIGHT not to pay for someone elses time, then you should find them yourself or go buy the as-is stuff and hope and pray.
I'll think I'll just continue to buy from honest sellers.

This is a perfect example of what Im talking about. Both seller and buyer seem to be happy and on the same page. And shipping was more than it actual cost.
A 4x fleecing is your perfect example!?! What was this you were just saying?

Go eat your take out and sit on your fat ass and order from ebay. Youre a dope that makes the circumstance fit your position no matter what. Every sale is not an auction. You dont buy from Ebay from the posts Ive read that you posted recently because you obviously bought from sellers that charge exact shipping and sell you as-is crap in the past. I can find a quote from you that you dont want to take your chances on Ebay for a rather common game recently. Must be because you buy from these so called honest sellers. If the cost is visible, they are still honest and that is a fact. Especially when the cost is even spelled out and why by the seller as in the example I used. Id like to know your so called honest places you buy from if your afraid to even bid! Time is money and youre a dope so quit whining and get off your ass. Youre a retard that thinks everyone else should do their work for them. You take no cost into consideration because you see everything from one side. Your side. Heres a thought. Dont Buy from Ebay and you have nothin to complain about. Im done Mr Short Bus, theres nothing left to be said. You'll only skew the facts to fit your arguement. if a guy charged a 5 cents to ship, but it cost him a penny, youd technically be right again, but is that really the issue? What a dope. Good arguement for being lazy and wasting other peoples time.

Edited by Phantom

There's an old saying that goes "You **NEVER** discuss politics or religion at the dinner table" with the reason being that no ones mind is ever changed and you just end up with fights. After reading all the posts here, I think I'll change that saying to "Never discuss politics, religion, or eBay shipping fee's at the dinner table".

Egads!

Mendon

Edited by Mendon

Here is one where the shipping is just too much, I think:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Atari-800-comp...1QQcmdZViewItem

When I put in my zip code, it gave me a shipping charge of over $70. And that was the cheapest. USPS was like $140!

Of course, this is being sold by one of those "I'm too stupid to sell on eBay myself so I'll pay someone to do it for me" businesses.

No wonder when I last saw this the bid was only at $15.

Edited by Brian R.