IGNORED

JagCF Speed Specifications

MegaData

It appears my 4MB Alpine is significantly slower than BJL on someone elses setup. This illustrates to me that the CF may need to be tested on more systems. Each PC system's processing times, setup, and the quality of the cable may play a role in load times as it does with BJL and Alpine. Given this site alone, without transfer rate or the specifics of the computer it was used on, I fail to see how 7 second Native loads can be an absolute. Can someone tell me the numbers?

Hello,

My BJL loader is generally at least as fast as my (2MB) Alpine, and as reliable.

What settings are you using? I think it's the PC, and not the Alpine which varies,

is it not? I can get away with fast settings for BJL, but my Alpine fails if "pushed".

The misuse of a parallel printer port for such things is OK, but it's CPU intensive,

and as the software has to poll the port, rather than use interrupts, it's not ideal.

USB though on a modern PC should be much faster still, it's designed for speed.

Cheers,

JustClaws.

I've seen recent times for BJL at 15 seconds to load Native.

I haven't seen specs that the CatNip Cable is faster than this.

CyberMax Integrated Peripherals

Onboard Parallel Port: 378/IRQ7

Prallel Port Mode : EPP1.9

Microsoft Windows 98 (4.10.1998)

Machine name: Rylos v1.05

Operating System: Windows 98 (4.10, Build 1998)

Language: English (Regional Setting: English)

Processor: AMD-K6 3D processor, MMX, 3DNow, ~350MHz

Memory: 128MB RAM

autoexec.bat file as follows:

set PATH=%PATH%;C:\JAGUAR\BIN;C:\JAGUAR\GNU\BIN

set RDBRC=C:\JAGUAR\BIN\RDB.RC

set DBPATH=C:\JAGUAR\BIN

set ALNPATH=C:\JAGUAR\BIN

set MACPATH=C:\JAGUAR\INCLUDE

set TEMP=C:

set GCC_EXEC_PREFIX=C:/JAGUAR/BIN

pprot=-1 (for error free loads)

I get around 56 seconds loading Native with my 4MB Alpine.

My set-up is significantly slower than other people with an Alpine.

It is likely the computer I am using causing this altered load time.

Alpine is generally supposed to be faster than BJL.

It would be nice to see some detailed numbers for the Jag CF.

I've seen recent times for BJL at 15 seconds to load Native.

I haven't seen specs that the CatNip Cable is faster than this.

CyberMax Integrated Peripherals

Onboard Parallel Port: 378/IRQ7

Prallel Port Mode : EPP1.9

Microsoft Windows 98 (4.10.1998)

Machine name: Rylos v1.05

Operating System: Windows 98 (4.10, Build 1998)

Language: English (Regional Setting: English)

Processor: AMD-K6 3D processor, MMX, 3DNow, ~350MHz

Memory: 128MB RAM

autoexec.bat file as follows:

set PATH=%PATH%;C:\JAGUAR\BIN;C:\JAGUAR\GNU\BIN

set RDBRC=C:\JAGUAR\BIN\RDB.RC

set DBPATH=C:\JAGUAR\BIN

set ALNPATH=C:\JAGUAR\BIN

set MACPATH=C:\JAGUAR\INCLUDE

set TEMP=C:

set GCC_EXEC_PREFIX=C:/JAGUAR/BIN

pprot=-1 (for error free loads)

I get around 56 seconds loading Native with my 4MB Alpine.

My set-up is significantly slower than other people with an Alpine.

It is likely the computer I am using causing this altered load time.

Alpine is generally supposed to be faster than BJL.

It would be nice to see some detailed numbers for the Jag CF.

Doesn't really matter as hardly anybody has an alpine. Why do I get the feeling that everyone that is rich enough to afford an alpine are the ones that are dead set againtist the cf. Do you think it's going to devalue what you mustve paid a fortune for?

Edited by pony

I'm on government assistance. I don't know why anyone would think I'm rich at all.

P.S. I'm not set against the JagCF. Just the playing of ROMs on the JagCF.

Not to start a flame but what gives you the right to have an alpine that can load roms but you don't think anybody else should be able to buy a CF. What if all the parts were suddenly found to be able to build 100 exact alpines and they were to be sold, what would your thoughts be then?

Edited by pony

The same as they are now.

1) Conscience and personal opinion. (You don't have to agree.)

2) I cannot dump cartridges with an Alpine. (Fact.)

3) It's illegal to backup commercial console ROMS. (You should agree.)

4) You can run new programs on the JagCF without being able to run ROMs.

I don't own an alpine nor need one as I am not a developer. But I am aginst the use of Romz on the CF. This is something that could ruin it and alienate it from well over half the community including its most promenant developers. This will not help it sell or encourage anyone to make games for it when so much of an already small community won't buy it. What ever way you look at it PIRATING IS WRONG!

I personally don't think pirating games for dead game systems is wrong. I'm hopeful for more details on this project, I'd like to be able to try several dozen Jaguar games that got questionable reviews that didn't warrant purchasing them. If this is the equivalent of the Cuttle Cart II, it should be amazing. If anything, I'll support retailers and developers more, by discovering I like several titles that I wouldn't of risked money on before to find that out.

Edited by Atariboy

I've found certain people, in some art communities, will not click on links to see a picture of your artwork in order to get a critique. They will ask you to post the work in the thread. However, I happen to think those people are rather lazy and, I have tried to read the link previously posted here for answers. However, that seems pointless as we haven't come to the 4th and 5th of November yet. As suspected, there are no numbers with the link provided. I was asking for numbers now, in English, on this site, in this thread.

As suspected, there are no numbers with the link provided. I was asking for numbers now, in English, on this site, in this thread.

Here you can read the numbers :

http://www.jagware.org/index.php?s=&sh...post&p=3733

GT Turbo :)

Edit : I don't want to flame, but with the Bjl i can dump any roms i want and nobody has told something about that...

Edited by GT Turbo

I personally don't think pirating games for dead game systems is wrong.
But if games are still actively being developed, it's not a dead system... :)

Personally, though, I don't think the JagCF is any real threat to the Jaguar developer scene. If someone wants to release a new game on CD or cart, I can't see a release of more than a few hundred copies being made. The Jaguar scene is so hungry for new games and so enthusiastic that I believe the developers will sell off all their copies easily, JagCF or no JagCF.

Edited by ls650

Its dead commercially is what I meant. They've stated that they'd try to work with developers to make it so new releases won't work on it, so hopefully both sides will come together and work together.

But because of the Pirating issues none of the Jag developers are willing to deal with them.

could you please read what we post (and not only read the piracy things that has been already debated in a closed thread ...)

I have read it and if you bother to read what I said you would understand, let me put more simply for you:

THE LARGEST PART OF THE JAG COMMUNITY ARE NOT GOING TO EVEN CONSIDER THE CF BECAUSE OF THE PIRATING ISSUE.

Understand?

Edited by mr.kizza