IGNORED

D-DBUG #195 is out!

ggn

Hey.. it's Halloween... Well, we had the final 5 menus all tapped out ready to roll us up to 200. Then something special happened. Encounter! A game so good we changed our menu plans to bring it to you. As you've come to expect, its 16mhz accelerated as well as fixed for hard disk installs making it resemble the Atari 8-bit version even more! So hop on over to the download page, and grab possibly the best ST release in over 15 years. We even took the opportunity to boost it for Falcons and MSTEs.

http://dbug.atari.org

OK, I downloaded the Falcon/mSTe fix games and tried them out. All of them were placed inside a directory on an HD partition.

Hades - OK with/without 16Mhz or cache. No sound through Falcon (except for intro screen), sound through headphones is music only (?)

Live or Let Die - can only start game (via fire button) with 16mhz&cache

R-type - OK

Virus - OK

Backlash - OK

RVF Honda - OK

Starglider II - OK No sound through Falcon (except for intro screen and digi music), sound through headphones.

Vaxine - OK

Good work! Starglider II is especially cool at 16Mhz! :cool:

I have a request for some of the Microprose sims if you get around to it - F19/M1 Tank Platoon/B17 Flying Fortress :D

are you just using the standard GEM desktop on both machines?

Just the Falcon here, I should have made that clear. I've got my Falcon, 1040ST, and Stacy4, don't have a Mega or STe.

I tested all the games on the Falcon, bare desktop no Auto stuff, no ACCs (except the Falcon CP). As a matter of fact there were problems until I disabled the rest of the ACCs and the Auto stuff.

Just downloaded R-Type. I'll check it out this weekend.... But first I gotta swap my mono ST monitor to

Color TV. I'm shopping around for a REAL SC1224.

Anyways... thanks again for these awesome hard drive installable and 16mhz accelerated Mega STE games!

You guys are awesome!

-Rick

are you just using the standard GEM desktop on both machines?

Just the Falcon here, I should have made that clear. I've got my Falcon, 1040ST, and Stacy4, don't have a Mega or STe.

I tested all the games on the Falcon, bare desktop no Auto stuff, no ACCs (except the Falcon CP). As a matter of fact there were problems until I disabled the rest of the ACCs and the Auto stuff.

It's just that you mentioned 16mhz with&without cache, I thought only the Mega STE ran at 16mhz, I thought the Falcon was 30+mhz. Can the Falcon "down-shift" into 16mhz?

It's just that you mentioned 16mhz with&without cache, I thought only the Mega STE ran at 16mhz, I thought the Falcon was 30+mhz. Can the Falcon "down-shift" into 16mhz?

Mega STe's are 16Mhz 68000 based machines, the Falcons are 16Mhz 32bit 68030 based.

Well, I learned something new then, I had always assumed the Falcon used the same 68030 at 30+Mhz (33?) as the TT.

Edited by Gunstar

OK, I downloaded the Falcon/mSTe fix games and tried them out. All of them were placed inside a directory on an HD partition.

That's our plan - have a large folder with games ready to run :)

Hades - OK with/without 16Mhz or cache. No sound through Falcon (except for intro screen), sound through headphones is music only (?)

Funny, I thought sound worked on both my falcons... I'll try to have a look later...

Live or Let Die - can only start game (via fire button) with 16mhz&cache

Hmmm, I'll try to look at that too...

R-type - OK

Virus - OK

Backlash - OK

RVF Honda - OK

Starglider II - OK No sound through Falcon (except for intro screen and digi music), sound through headphones.

Vaxine - OK

Good work! Starglider II is especially cool at 16Mhz! :cool:

I have a request for some of the Microprose sims if you get around to it - F19/M1 Tank Platoon/B17 Flying Fortress :D

Glad you enjoy them! Eventually we'll get round to those you request!

Glad you enjoy them! Eventually we'll get round to those you request!

First of all, let me add my admiration/kudos for you guys! Hurrah! :)

Second, if we're requesting, I'm requesting Ultima 3, 4, and 5, to

be hard drive installable and run on the Falcon! That would be just

incredible! :)

Thanks again.

• 3 weeks later...

Just downloaded R-Type. I'll check it out this weekend.... But first I gotta swap my mono ST monitor to

Color TV. I'm shopping around for a REAL SC1224.

Anyways... thanks again for these awesome hard drive installable and 16mhz accelerated Mega STE games!

You guys are awesome!

-Rick

Yes I'm replying to my own post.... :ponder:

My ebay winning SC1224 should be in my hands tomorrow. So I'll finally get to check out all

these D-Bug release's.

Some of the games like Xeonon II are large files. So I'll have to keep them zipped when I move them over to the ST.

Question: What's the best ST unzip program... I'd like one with a shell program included.

thanks

-Rick

zeptari1: you can try to compress the executables with upx (even the pc version can compress atari executables) and see if they become smaller than 720k (some do, some don't). So you might not need to zip them.

doctorclu: Well, good luck! None of us actually has a TT so we can't say if that would work or not. My gut feeling (after having seen the game's code a bit) is that it should work.

While writing this I'm at the Paracon Atari convention (http://paracon.atari.org) and I got my hands on a mste that I'll bring home. So all my fixes will be tested on this machine too :)

(actually it was donated to me by one of the organisers. Anyone cares to donate a TT to me for testing games? ;) )

Question: What's the best ST unzip program... I'd like one with a shell program included.

STZip can run in both GUI and shell modes by renaming the executable (STZIP.PRG or STZIP.TTP)

ok got the monitor all setup!!!

Ahhhhh so nice sooo clear! So worth the money!

I found a copy of STZIP on one of my St Format mags...thanks again

Atari Smeghead!

Xenon II is on my MSTE now! Runs GREAT! I love that game...

Played it to death back in the day.

Plus it was the only ST game I got as a present, from my Dad.

-Rick

My biggest request from D-Bug would be a super sweet multi-disk RPG for my MSTE!

zeptari1: you can try to compress the executables with upx (even the pc version can compress atari executables) and see if they become smaller than 720k (some do, some don't). So you might not need to zip them.

doctorclu: Well, good luck! None of us actually has a TT so we can't say if that would work or not. My gut feeling (after having seen the game's code a bit) is that it should work.

While writing this I'm at the Paracon Atari convention (http://paracon.atari.org) and I got my hands on a mste that I'll bring home. So all my fixes will be tested on this machine too :)

(actually it was donated to me by one of the organisers. Anyone cares to donate a TT to me for testing games? ;) )

I'm still trying to get a TT from Dan Wilga at Gribnif Software.

But I doubt that will happen... It's the machine he use's to make new copy's

of his programs he still selling... But that woun't stop me from trying....

-Rick

Well, I can't dare make a guess, but let me just show you a couple of emarket.gr auctions:

http://www.emarket.gr/lot.cfm?lotID=6195838 - c64 for 70 eur

http://www.emarket.gr/lot.cfm?lotID=6199158 - c64 for 90 eur

I could go on like this for hours. I'll just say that they should be damn expensive if people dare call the c64 'extremely rare'

So if any of you ppl want to make a fortune out of old HW just sell them to Greece :P

Hmmm - and what do you think how much this fortune might be?

Any idea from you or Christos?

OK first post here, I have been reading the forum and the site for quite some time though. Well unlike ggn I'll try to make an estimate and explain the situation in Greece the best I can.

A reasonable state STE would be auctioned for about 100 Euros, friendly price... The TT is about 8 times faster, so it could easily be auctioned @800Euros... Of course now 800Euros is more than the minimum monthly wage so your chances of selling it are a bit scarce, so the seller lowers the price to 600Euros and feels very good about it. Now nobody is going to buy it because going to ebay and having a TT (or any other retro computer) shipped from the Antarctic for example will probably cost you the half from that. So the seller auctions the item until someone buys it or until he runs out of patience. At that time he gets frustrated and says to himself "Since noone wants it, it's in the bin". I forgot to mention that during this whole time the price remains stable.

Why does this happen? First of all, Greeks threw away most of their home computers when the PC craze started so there aren't many left alive. Secondly there weren't that many to begin with (when I had my 130XE I only new a couple of people who owned a computer and when I got my falcon I didn't know anyone who had either an atari or an amiga). And last but not least, many Greeks haven't realized that we are now living within the EU, we have a common currency and a common market and that the shipping costs from the Eurozone are not that different from within Greece. So it's all about ignorance. Of course this applies to most aspects of our economic life but I am getting way off topic, and that's not good for a first post.

So yes Jens, selling a retro item in Greece is a good business. And ggn since my joystick ports don't work (long story, fried my eiffel) any chance we can see an adventure game fixed from Dbug? Cruise for a corpse comes to mind.