IGNORED

D-DBUG #195 is out!

ggn

Ok, I see.

ggn, any game you want to make running on a TT especially for me? :D

I think I would have to send you a TT to be able to do this.

Certainly anyone would be profiting from that, as this game would be available to anyone. ;)

jens,

Well... from what I heard the TT is a strange beast (in the sense of different hw or some stuff missing or added etc), so at present I dunno if I can actually fix something for it. I can only try (remember, I'm not a magician :) )

So, if I understand correctly, you're offering me a TT in exchange of me patching a game for it? If yes, what would the game be?

Choose one. :D

I just want a reason. :)

It would be a standard TT with 4+4 megs of ram and the next hard drive I'll find for it.

Must have a look, if I still have a spare keyboard, else any Mega, Mega/STe or TT keyboard will do.

I think you will have a mouse yourself. ;)

I know quite a lot of games running on a TT:

Monkey Island I, Kalawaum, Empire - Wargame of the century and Shanghai just as examples.

On Monkey you even have sound, from the others I'm not too sure.

Shanghai is soundless.

We might discuss this further on MSN messenger.

For me just replace MonST and GenST with Turbo Assembler and Bugaboo :)

Oh, add a hardware regs listing, an online version of the atari compendium, and lots of humour!

Last ingredient: the irc, when we get to ridicule ourselves when we exchange our experiences from our capers :)

Hehe, please do :)

Well, I was testing a Pasti image of Star Wars. I couldn't make it work correctly. Most of the time that I wanted to start the game, it went back to the desktop.

I tried to investigate what was going on. Many times it is not easy at all to find out why a Pasti image doesn't work, specially when the behavior is not constant and sometimes works sometimes it doesn't. It could be the disk, the imaging tool, the emulator, the DLL, TOS version, or any combination. So I spent quite some time testing, made some reverse engineering, etc, but couldn't find the reason.

After countless tries I realized that none of the factors mentioned above was the reason. The reason was just my stupidity ... When you start Star Wars, there are a few options on screen. I didn't pay too much attention to the options. They are not "buttons", they are just on top of the stars background. I just wanted to start the game regardless. So I was clicking blindly anywhere on the screen.

But when you click blindly (that is, stupidly), chances that you'll click near the center of the screen. And the option in the center is ... "QUIT" ...

Ok, don't laugh ... too much :)

Well, I was testing a Pasti image of Star Wars. I couldn't make it work correctly. Most of the time that I wanted to start the game, it went back to the desktop.

Star Wars!!!! Yes! That would be great on my MSTE!!! Are you guys really doing it? Please say yes!!!!

mmmmmm Star Wars: The Arcade game!!!

-Rick

Rick,

we might ;)

You guys should have a donations link with an address on your web page!

First Xenon 2 and now maybe Star Wars:the arcade game!

You guys are awesome!

I can only imagine whats in store for us for Christmas!

How about getting Legends of Valour running at a decent speed on a mega ste.

I have the demo and it doesn't seem to run ver smoothly. I was hoping it would run better in a larger window too.

Ohhh well it's not really my 1st pick as a RPG on the ST anyways...

-Rick

I tried to investigate what was going on. Many times it is not easy at all to find out why a Pasti image doesn't work, specially when the behavior is not constant and sometimes works sometimes it doesn't. It could be the disk, the imaging tool, the emulator, the DLL, TOS version, or any combination. So I spent quite some time testing, made some reverse engineering, etc, but couldn't find the reason.

After countless tries I realized that none of the factors mentioned above was the reason. The reason was just my stupidity ... When you start Star Wars, there are a few options on screen. I didn't pay too much attention to the options. They are not "buttons", they are just on top of the stars background. I just wanted to start the game regardless. So I was clicking blindly anywhere on the screen.

But when you click blindly (that is, stupidly), chances that you'll click near the center of the screen. And the option in the center is ... "QUIT" ...

Ok, don't laugh ... too much :)

This is the sort of mistakes I have been making for over 30 years!!!!

BUT

Atari Forever! :)

• 5 weeks later...

zeptari,

Well, have you tried turning cache + cpu up on your mste and then running LOV?

It might save us a bit of hacking :)

I tried it... It runs wicked slow even in the medium size screen setting!

-Rick

About that Star Wars game? please!

heheheh :twisted:

About that Star Wars game? please!

Rick (and all),

Like I said in the past, only two (2!) people are working at the moment on patching the games for Falcon. Namely me and CJ.

Now, given that we both don't do it for the fame (fortune? hehe! anyone considering a donation? :P ), we are trying to patch stuff that we liked in the past and played to destruction. As you understand we both are avid players, and not doing it for the preservation or because they're rare versions or something. Simply we want to have these games on our HDDs instead of floppies and runnable with a simple double click (no weird utilities that demand floppies or stuff like that).

Another fact: CJ usually doesn't do requests, so it's usually up to me.

Like CJ, I have my personal favorites that want to patch up. In between I try to fulfill some requests, but you must understand that this takes time. Couple that with the fact that a game might work in under 10', and then it can take a full week of frustration with no result. The second case is, as you can imagine, pretty hard on us and when it happens we lose some of our motivation. So until we get back our momentum some time passes as well. Also, take into account that we simply don't have all day playing with our falcons (unless you guys want to sponsor us? :P )

So all, please be patient. We intend to patch up lots of games still. We have many WIP folders on our HDDs or frozen titles we haven't managed to patch correctly. We intend to do a page to display the status of the WIP titles too, so you'll have a fuller image of what's going under the hood of D-Bug.

Also, anyone with good asm knowledge interested in helping us can always contact us and we'll do our best to help him (her?) and offer our little experience.

Yours,

George and the rest of the D-BUG stuff

Edited by ggn

Hi

We will not be putting up a cash donations link on the website - we have never asked in the past and we never will. However, some of you have asked some specific things for us to try, eg TT fixes... now, none of us have a TT so as you can see this might prove a bit of a problem. Also, we've not even investigated if this is even possible. If anyone would like to send us a TT as a donation or a loan, we could discuss this further.

There are a few bits of hardware we could find usefull though, if anyone has them going spare. Specifically 2xUK Mega STE keyboards (God damn that Z and Y swap on German keyboards is annoying!) and some Mega STE UK/English TOS roms (Actual ROMs, not image files) as our MSTE's are also German.

With regard to requests, ggn is correct - I usually don't do them. I will occasionally (Hi Magic 'EARX' Pockets!), but as a rule I won't. I target some of the more difficult titles in order to improve our compatibility/loader shell, making it easier for the other guys to carry on with other stuff in the future. GGN is the main guy doing requests at the moment, so please, don't flood us with requests, we have a lot of them already.

SHW is currently working away on SNDH files, so he's not taking an active part in this project, although it is hoped he will shortly :-)

GGN also mentioned the "WIP" folder. We plan on listing all the work we have done on the website soon, showing stuff that isnt ready for release... but as a quick glance into the frustrating world of Falcon patching, heres a quick list from just my WIP folder alone:

Buggy Boy - Occasional 030 crashes, crashes on ST/STe. Probably simple fix

Chase HQ - Fixed Shadow PSG, game locks up setting screen on 030

Empire Strikes Back - Fixed Shadow PSG, crashes on 030 at init time

Gauntlet - PSG errors to be fixed

Giana Sisters - Screen draw errors, IKBD not working on 030

Outrun - Partially working, IKBD issues on certain 030s (ROCKS at 16mhz!!!!)

Barbarian (Psyg) - Locks at startup on 030, fixed PSG shadow

Crazy Cars II - PSG Shadow errors

Double Dragon - PSG Shadow errors

Super Hang On - Fully working, except no IKBD interupts on 030

Hard and Heavy - No IKBD on 030

International Karate + - Fixed TOS incompatibility, Fixed PSG, Timer B wrong on 030

Platoon - Fails on title screen on 030. Fixed PSG shadows

Red Heat - No Arnie sprite on 030 (needs a LOT of investigating)

Silkworm - Timer B errors on 030. Fixed PSG shadows

Vixen - Game works on 030, title scren corruption. Not sure why - strange bug?

Epic - this one doesnt work for so many reasons. I'm getting close tho!

The above is a partial view into my WIP folder. We have a pile of stuff that is fixed and working, we plan on releasing in game-packs in the future, and not as and when we fix something. We're still around, we're still working away. As GGN said, when something fails, we can either spend days or weeks trying to fix it, or move on.

Also, please note: Ijor isn't part of D-Bug, and doesnt even own a Falcon (Yet!). He is responsible for the Pasti disk system for Steem and SainT, which we have found most useful when doing these fixes. He is also very helpful if you have any disk/hardware related questions. Please don't bombard him with requests! *waves at Ijor*

Re: Star Wars - I *LOVE* that game, so I'll look at it.... :-)

May The Force Be With You All.

CJ/D-Bug 2007!

Edited by CyranoJ

Well, let's see what's in my WIP folder as well (please note that CJ's and my list below is the games _not working_. We have quite some games prepared for release):

Eliminator - Aaargh! My first disappointment with the IKBD. This refuses to work at 16mhz and/or cache :(

Ghouls n ghosts - Some minor problems (not had time to investigate)

Helter Skelter - Dreaded IKBD probs

Hotshot - Probably IKBD

Switchblade - IKBD

Super Skweek - dies after you complete any level (aarrgh!)

Xenon - IKBD

Star trash - Crashes for no apparent reason

Joust - Uses some system calls (needs more work)

Bubble Bobble - IKBD (that almost made me bang my head in a wall - literally)

Rainbow islands - crashes at some point before it even begins

There might be a few more, but I can't remember right now

However, some of you have asked some specific things for us to try, eg TT fixes... now, none of us have a TT so as you can see this might prove a bit of a problem. Also, we've not even investigated if this is even possible. If anyone would like to send us a TT as a donation or a loan, we could discuss this further.

That's already in the works as far as ggn and me are concerned.

Epic - this one doesnt work for so many reasons. I'm getting close tho!

As George does not want the TT without giving something back to me and wanted to hear the name of a game, I asked around (I must admit that I'm not much into gaming) which game might be nice on a TT and heard about Epic being a nice idea, and told him.

In fact I'd be ready to take any game you had to work upon to make it TT compatible as a equivalent for the to be sponsored TT.

Still thinking about which one will be sent - I just have six, not seven as I thought, and some are going to part from me at the very moment, and I'm a little bit undecided if it will be the one with the black type batches or one with a daughterboard (@32 mhz naturally - don't own an early one).

So, it is clear ggn will get a TT, but it may take still some time until I sorted out my projects. ;)

As George does not want the TT without giving something back to me and wanted to hear the name of a game, I asked around (I must admit that I'm not much into gaming) which game might be nice on a TT and heard about Epic being a nice idea, and told him.

In fact I'd be ready to take any game you had to work upon to make it TT compatible as a equivalent for the to be sponsored TT.

Still thinking about which one will be sent - I just have six, not seven as I thought, and some are going to part from me at the very moment, and I'm a little bit undecided if it will be the one with the black type batches or one with a daughterboard (@32 mhz naturally - don't own an early one).

So, it is clear ggn will get a TT, but it may take still some time until I sorted out my projects. ;)

Jens, there is a reason why I asked if anyone tried the games from the 7 days on the TT, especially mine. It's because I actually have some TT setup code in there, I just don't know if it's effective or not :)