IGNORED

Question - FB2 Portable?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Not as much as I wanted to see it out for Christmas...

But no, it is NOT canceled, just put on hold due to issues of licensing and production. With the additional time, the product features have expanded and it will see release in Spring/Summer 08'

Curt

He never did say it was cancelled, just said that the specs would be changing, and possibly also the planned release date.

Atari plans? That's news to me. Nothing to add except I really wanted one of these for xmas this year.

Promised? Nothing was ever promised. I was considering it. That was at a point where the whole project look to be dead and buried, but it is not and therefor, the prototypes are still being actively worked on and expanded, so they will not be seeing Ebay anytime soon.

Curt

o yeah where is that promised auction??

sounds a bit up lifting. may god light your way to something released

Promised? Nothing was ever promised. I was considering it. That was at a point where the whole project look to be dead and buried, but it is not and therefor, the prototypes are still being actively worked on and expanded, so they will not be seeing Ebay anytime soon.

Curt

o yeah where is that promised auction??

But no, it is NOT canceled, just put on hold due to issues of licensing and production. With the additional time, the product features have expanded and it will see release in Spring/Summer 08'

Curt

He never did say it was cancelled, just said that the specs would be changing, and possibly also the planned release date.

Atari plans? That's news to me. Nothing to add except I really wanted one of these for xmas this year.

So glad I was wrong, fingers crossed for a 2008 release :thumbsup:

Sorry to everyone concerned with my incorrect take on the situation :dunce:

Curt

Yep, still patient. Greatness takes time.

Curt

Yep, still patient. Greatness takes time.

As Mr. Holmes says on the TV show "Holmes on Homes", it takes as long as it takes.

This is great news..but will it have a TV output?

Concidering that it did when Curt first reported, and now he said that it has some expanded features, I highly doubt the output would be taken away.

By the way, am I the only one who thinks that in time the Portable Flashback will change the way we all live our lives? The sun will shine brighter, food will taste better, and we will have the capability to play Phoenix in a household chemical aisle at a local Wal-Mart if we so chose. Yes boys, our time will soon come, and it will be amazing. Heres to hope a new Atari commercial comes out with Matlock as the spokesman, and Atari one again will rule the land. Demand for a 5200 portable will rise, then a portable 7800, and heck, why not a portable Jaguar for the kids also. As Microsoft loses money in the Xbox, and Sony continues to shoot itself in the foot with insane console prices, and with the overall scarcity of the Nintendo Wii, people will turn to the company they grew up with and loved. Reaganomics will get into full swing, Monte Carlos will become rear wheel drive once again, girls hair will be bigger and better than ever, and Atari will find itself on top of the gaming world. Men, its our time to shine, lets show the world the power of simplicity, and the power of Atari!!

This is great news..but will it have a TV output?

Concidering that it did when Curt first reported, and now he said that it has some expanded features, I highly doubt the output would be taken away.

By the way, am I the only one who thinks that in time the Portable Flashback will change the way we all live our lives? The sun will shine brighter, food will taste better, and we will have the capability to play Phoenix in a household chemical aisle at a local Wal-Mart if we so chose. Yes boys, our time will soon come, and it will be amazing. Heres to hope a new Atari commercial comes out with Matlock as the spokesman, and Atari one again will rule the land. Demand for a 5200 portable will rise, then a portable 7800, and heck, why not a portable Jaguar for the kids also. As Microsoft loses money in the Xbox, and Sony continues to shoot itself in the foot with insane console prices, and with the overall scarcity of the Nintendo Wii, people will turn to the company they grew up with and loved. Reaganomics will get into full swing, Monte Carlos will become rear wheel drive once again, girls hair will be bigger and better than ever, and Atari will find itself on top of the gaming world. Men, its our time to shine, lets show the world the power of simplicity, and the power of Atari!!

Well, finally something to look forward to in 2008-- leap year, the US presidential elections and the Olympics just weren't doing it for me. This news from Curt, however, has done it for me!

I'm still crossing my fingers that instead of 'on board' software or card slot, it comes with a full fledged Atari cartridge slot, and a legit Atari cart that is a USB loadable multi cart, and useable in a old skool 2600, too! :) It would definitely make me buy more than one, just for the multi cart part of it! lol

Thanks for your efforts in keeping this alive, Curt!

Murph

• 2 weeks later...

since it seems not to come out till 08, I would imagine they may try for full 100% compatable to ALL games including pitfall 2. They have the extra time. It would also be nice if there was an actual consistent dev kit either with it or along side it. Graphic editor music synthysizer with someof the soft synth music engines in it. An extensive programers reference guide (I have one for the commodore 64. It even has chip logic brreakdown and the system schematic foldout in the back)

Some tutorials and links to here at Atari Age would go a long way too. they could even create actual documentatiuon on usable illegal opcodes.

With a viable new medium of reimplemented old hardware, a comunity of homebrew gasmes may pop up exclusively dealing with the FBP (which would still work in old hardware too.)

All the resources out there (here and on the web elsewhere) is nice and greatly appreciated. However, I have noticed that there are several things scattered throughout all the information of the 2600 itself, that is either scarce or not spoken about much.

It almost seems like many here who do program, leave some tiny details out of instruction or advice here and there across the way and others who say go to the stella list, It is hard enough to make heads or tails of that many times.

I would assume that this may be intentional or completly overlooked somehow. Possible for the discovery and learning to the person who is needing the info. like for example. Horizontal positioning is not always exact to the trigger and the offset when they say "it happens right at the trigger" The possition is delayed by how wide the graphic is weather doubbled or quad and depending on if it is a sprite graphic of the player or the missle or even the ball.

Instead of giving istruction by schiming through the material, try teaching or advising everything about the specific things the person is asking about. IMHO

If these new pieces of 2600 hardware came with programer materials that were consistent, then anyone who got one would have the same info about programing the 2600 as eveyone else. So that it would not go wasted, it would probably be best it it was something separate.

Hope you all understand my point of view here. Just an idea.

Edited by grafixbmp

• 2 weeks later...

Out of curiosity, will we have any knowledge from Atari or anybody named Curt when this has a planned release date? Major consoles get released on particular days at midnight, I can't imagine a FB2P would get the same treatment, but maybe. Are we gonna have to camp out every night outside of Sears hoping its given an okay for a release or will we have any prior knowledge that it got the thumbs up?