IGNORED

I am updating the Atlantis II registry

homerwannabee

Hey man, welcome to the site.

Do you have any pictures? I believe you but a picture is worth a thousand words :)

By the way, I would like to read the newspaper article, I love reading stuff like that.

Thanks man - :)

No problem..I totally understand. Don't worry these aren't some affiliate links or anything. It's the only place online space I have right now..Here's the pics..I still haven't gotten around to looking for the docs yet..No drooling over my 80's haircut..lady killer..I tell ya. Enjoy =) Todd.

That is really cool man. You have a few nice pieces of history there, I love that shirt, I would totally wear one today if they were availible. The article was cool also, that must have been fun. I'm sorry to hear about your lost cartridge, that's a bummer man. If you're a fan of games still I think you will like it here. You should check out the high score club, you would probably dig it. Thanks for sharing the pics and check out the site and see what you think :)

BTW - Anyone know anyone that could make me a repro shirt like that? They could make it obviously different to avoid any problems, I just want one to wear.

• 3 weeks later...

I figured out why Atlantis II was made a ROM cart instead of an eprom cart. I know a couple of you have thought it more economical to make an Eprom cart instead of a ROM cart. There is one factor that has not been fully been addressed though. It hit me while watching the making of Atlantis game on youtube. During the segment the topic of Arcadia making the Startpath comes up. What I found interesting was they were extremly worried that this would lead to an avenue where people could start pirating games. I now believe that the reason they went with ROM was so there game would not be easily pirated. I think pirating was a major issue for them and they were willing to spend a little extra money not to have this happen.

Edited by homerwannabee

#5 Someone else must have the box with the sticker because there has been a picture of it on the net for over 5 years.

That picture is probably the one the 5th ghost scanned and is posted on atariage:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...c=13309&hl=

That post is from Sep 1, 2002.

3. Since Wonder007 cart source does not want to be Identified. Can I atleast assume that it is one of the 10 listed since he comes from Atariage?

For question #3, the person's name does NOT appear on your list..

From the list of rarity 10 owners post, the Atlantis II originally owned by buyatari does not show up on your current list. Does buyatari still own it or did he sell it...to wonder007?

#5 Someone else must have the box with the sticker because there has been a picture of it on the net for over 5 years.

That picture is probably the one the 5th ghost scanned and is posted on atariage:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...c=13309&hl=

That post is from Sep 1, 2002.

3. Since Wonder007 cart source does not want to be Identified. Can I atleast assume that it is one of the 10 listed since he comes from Atariage?

For question #3, the person's name does NOT appear on your list..

From the list of rarity 10 owners post, the Atlantis II originally owned by buyatari does not show up on your current list. Does buyatari still own it or did he sell it...to wonder007?

Thanks for the info :) Now the list is more updated.

I now believe that the reason they went with ROM was so there game would not be easily pirated. I think pirating was a major issue for them and they were willing to spend a little extra money not to have this happen.

How is the difference between an EPROM and a mask ROM going to prevent pirating?

I now believe that the reason they went with ROM was so there game would not be easily pirated. I think pirating was a major issue for them and they were willing to spend a little extra money not to have this happen.

How is the difference between an EPROM and a mask ROM going to prevent pirating?

I don't know. But, how is the difference between Rom and Tape going to prevent pirating? If they thought putting games on tape was such a horrible thing maybe they had similar ideas about eproms.

I think I found out who the mystery man is. A guy by the name of Mark Sumner posted on Joystiq how he has the game the shirt the docs and the Scuba Gear. Here is the link. He is poster number 19

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/10/09/lost-rar...console-gaming/

Interesting read. Atlantis 2, Pepsi Invaders and Air Raid made the top 10. Video Life and Eli's ladder get an honourable mention.

• 4 weeks later...

1.i think CPU could be right. i'm not real sure, it was too long ago :P

Rick

I can only say it was not Rick I sold my Atlantis II to.

Since the new owner has not spoken up I don't think I should mention the name as

they must not want to be identified at this time.

FND

Rick

Since the new owner has not spoken up I don't think I should mention the name as

FND

Thanks for clearing things up a little more. Still, this new tidbit of info brings up 2 more question. 1. where did Rick Weiss get his cart from and who did FND sell his too. Hmm, at the moment there is atleast 12 carts known to exist in people's hands. There goes Meanguns assertion that there were only 10 made. Though I still personally think that 20 to 60 were made. I think I am going PM some people to see if I can fill some holes.

Rick

FND

Thanks for clearing things up a little more. Still, this new tidbit of info brings up 2 more question. 1. where did Rick Weiss get his cart from and who did FND sell his too. Hmm, at the moment there is atleast 12 carts known to exist in people's hands. There goes Meanguns assertion that there were only 10 made. Though I still personally think that 20 to 60 were made. I think I am going PM some people to see if I can fill some holes.

I PM'D ionoid and found out he got his cart from FND. So now there are officially 11 carts known to exist instead of 12.

• 2 months later...

Wow, Amazing the lot went for $153 with no mention of this game and because there was a II on the Atlantis label. Congrats that you got the game though, I noticed you also have it up for auction. Should be interesting to see what happens. Also because you posted the link of where you got it from I am counting this one.

Edited by homerwannabee

Wow, Amazing the lot went for $153 with no mention of this game and because there was a II on the Atlantis label. Congrats that you got the game though, I noticed you also have it up for auction. Should be interesting to see what happens. Also because you posted the link of where you got it from I am counting this one.

I figured you'd be along soon enough, and it is only appropriate that I include my source.

I had my max bid set at nearly $800, with the hopes that it was the game. And, obviously, it was. In the time between finding it and winning, I spent hours researching & staring at the auction. I wouldn't be lying if I said I averaged 15 visits/day to the auction, with an average visit of 10 minutes each. I would simply stare & hope, stare & hope. Lather, rinse, repeat.

I worried that it may be a joke or mistake, but if that was the case, the person would have surely noted it in the auction listing. I have very specialized eBay searches to seek out the auctions like this w/ only pictures & no game list, and while I have had good success finding many hard-to-find games this way, this is the pinnacle. I can never do better than this, but I truly hope I'm wrong.

I'd love to keep this for myself, but it would be a damn shame. I've sold a majority of my collection, with basically a RomScanner, 6 game changer & this game as the last notable bits. I'll be dumping tons of other li'l "collections" like 18 Sears games, 15 Atari name label lots, complete systems & whatnot, but at this point, I'm done.

I think.

There goes Meanguns assertion that there were only 10 made.

I thought we had already established that he is completely full of shit? :lol:

I know I may get a lot of flack for this but does anyone else think that a moderator shouldn't be using such terms when describing a fellow member? I thought a moderators job was to keep the offensive language to a minimum, not freely use it for his own entertainment ;)

Aw, come on man. Notice the :lol: at the end?

Don't joke... kingmeanguns contacted me to tell me that the Atlantis 2 I have must be 1 of 10, not possibly 1 of 12, as only 10 exist. (at least in his magical world of crash helmets & pudding cups)

It's like the original Leeroy Jenkins contacting me... A legend of monumental stupidity stepping forth to assert their right atop the idiot pyramid.

• 1 month later...