A real Atari or an emulator?  

89 members have voted

1. 1. which do you use?

• Only a REAL Atari for me!
    • I use an emulator
    • I use both, but mainly the real thing
    • I use both, but mainly an emulator

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

I'm glad you make sure your software works on the real thing. I'm sorry I offended you so much. I was half-joking and just pushing your buttons (it slightly offends me when people hang out here and have Commodore-oriented avatars, so I thought I'd make fun).

It's not Commodore-oriented; the main bulk of the avatar (the copyright symbol) is taken from a Commodore Plus/4 screenshot, but the graphic itself was drawn for use on the Atari first (for the Cosine intro on Reaxion) and then ported to the C64 and Plus/4 from there. The overall avatar is supposed to be about intermingling of formats, harmony, that sort of crap.

I'm not suprised though that you have stayed clear of a response to my Commodore-oriented assertions; I must have been pretty close to the mark there...

i don't think i've ever denied that the bulk of my time has been spent with the C64 or indeed that i have a personal preference for the C64 hardware over the Atari - but that doesn't stop me being a fan.

I am a true Atarian thru and thru but lately for a variety of reasons I've been using Atari800MacOSX for my 8bit fix.

I'll second that, I use Atari800MacOSX exclusively as my 8bit emu on the go, and occasionally even at home. Atari800MacOSX is one awesome piece of work :cool:

I'm about as big an Atari fan as you can get, by I use all the classics as well. At the moment for various reasons (thanks Murph74! ;) ) I've been on a Commodore kick.

Then the question begs to be asked, why do you use it? (or was the smiley at the end a counter against what you just said?)...

I'm probably attempting to point out that a person's choice of real hardware versus emulation doesn't show if they are a "TRUE Atarian or just a luke-warm fan".

I am currently using just Atari800Win emulator, because I have no proper place in my room right now. When this is fixed, I will definitely use my real Atari 130XE. Besides using 1050 disk drive, I will use SIO2PC interface implemented in it, so my old PC will become a slave to my master, Atari ;)

I use a real Atari about 98% of the time, but I do have one BXE program that parses and re-orders a large text file, and it takes forever at regular Atari speed. So I use the emulator "wide open" which on my PC shows at something like 26X, IIRC. Gets the job done in minutes instead of more than an hour. Wish the real accelerator would happen -- maybe it still will. -Larry

when someone sell's me a couple of working 'modded' 1050's, i'll defihnately get back into using my A8...otherwise it's out with the old a800win stuff

is there anyone in the UK that's importing any of 'classics' atari prod's (like APE pro sys, myide/the siopc/sioide etc etc)

The reason why i asked if anyone imported 'classic's' atari prod's is that A- they would be cheaper (as the parts would be manufactured in the UK) and also, your not paying 20+ GBP in shipping costs (it would cost only about a tenner by guaranteed next day RM/PO delivery in the UK)

And lastly, you get the items much quicker (2/3 days, as opposed to 1-2 weeks)

your not paying 20+ GBP in shipping costs

Shipping on most of my items is not higher to the UK, unless they are heavy items like computers or disk drives.

For example shipping on a MyIDE+Flash cartridge is $4 US for all orders, which is a little over £2.

You are correct about the transport time, Air Mail is usually 7 days from the US and can be higher this time of year.

Thanks

Steve