IGNORED

Krazy Pengwin's site

Pengwin

Phew...finally finished the coding on the site. Now I just need to enter the data into the database.

I would be grateful for any comments.

Thanks

According to your site you have a g5 Macintosh but you use but you use Cut and Paste on your 800xl as your primary word processor?

Great site.

According to your site you have a g5 Macintosh but you use but you use Cut and Paste on your 800xl as your primary word processor?

Great site.

That's right. If I just need to type a letter, I use the Atari, I prefer the keyboard and the software is simpler to use. Also, using the Atari, I know my documents are secure, away from potential hackers (yes, I know I'm paranoid). If I need to do layout, or add pictures to my docs, then I use Pages on the Mac.

I also keep a diary, using Cut & Paste, again so that it is secure.

It's great to see people using their Ataris for other things, not just games. It's even more interesting to see using other languages like you do Pengwin, with Kyan Pascal. I am very interested in alternative high-level language, also new Forth, ported to Atari by Cas. But currently I am focusing in Action! language, with plans for the software projects in the future. I am a Delphi developer in PC world, and Kyan Pascal would be most logical step for me, but I see Action! is good choice too.

And Pengwin, thank you for providing me additional information for my software library, which will be refreshed in next update. Keep up the good work with your site, I am enjoying reading it.

It's great to see people using their Ataris for other things, not just games. It's even more interesting to see using other languages like you do Pengwin, with Kyan Pascal. I am very interested in alternative high-level language, also new Forth, ported to Atari by Cas. But currently I am focusing in Action! language, with plans for the software projects in the future. I am a Delphi developer in PC world, and Kyan Pascal would be most logical step for me, but I see Action! is good choice too.

And Pengwin, thank you for providing me additional information for my software library, which will be refreshed in next update. Keep up the good work with your site, I am enjoying reading it.

I also use Delphi for PC development, although I am teaching myself Cocoa and Objective-C for Mac development.

When I get around to writing games, however, I will probably be using Quick from Dean Garraghty Software, which I've been told is similar to Action! in some respects.

Yes, Quick is similar to Action! in some ways, one of them is declaring variables with direct assignment to memory locations, besides it is also very fast of course.

I have used Delphi for seveal years for my own home use and also on my work. But unfortunatelly, where I work I have to use different development tools. Of course, Delphi will remain my main target until I decide to use another alternative to it, called Lazarus, a full featured IDE system for rapid program development. It is open source project, which features 99% compatiblity with Turbo Pascal 7.0 and partly supports Delphi source code and it is still in development. I will see and decide. Lazarus uses Free Pascal as core compiler, which is great compiler working on many platforms: Win32, MacOS, Amiga, Linux, FreeBSD, Windows CE...

Edited by Gury

Great site.

That's right. If I just need to type a letter, I use the Atari, I prefer the keyboard and the software is simpler to use. Also, using the Atari, I know my documents are secure, away from potential hackers (yes, I know I'm paranoid). If I need to do layout, or add pictures to my docs, then I use Pages on the Mac.

I also have this theory, that if a computer was good enough for certain tasks 20 years ago, then it is still good enough for those tasks now.

There are somethings it is not suitable for (photo editing, 3D rendering, commercial software development, etc), but for basic word processing, spreadsheets, etc, it was capable then, and still is.

Hell, most people still read books made from paper, and yet we have PDA's now capable of holding a massive number of ebooks.

Besides, sometimes it's nice to get away from the clutter of modern applications. :)

Wow, thanks for the links Gury. I will check out Action!, but it's not easy to get a cart these days, that's why I use Quick. Plus Quick is still being supported by the author!!!

I'm adding a lot of new stuff to my site, including cover scans and content listing of my entire Atari User collection, 3 years worth. These are the Atari User BEFORE Page 6 took the name. (If anyone has the last 7 issues and wants to sell them, I have cash waiting :-)). Details of Mac based Atari stuff and more (including a poem for Atari).

Edited by Pengwin

just a quick update. I was aware the site was very slow at loading each page. This was due to the page counter I was using from an external resource.

I have since replaced it with my own counter, that counts unique IP addresses. I've also got it with Atari fonts for the counter. Now the pages are much quicker.

just a quick update. I was aware the site was very slow at loading each page. This was due to the page counter I was using from an external resource.

I have since replaced it with my own counter, that counts unique IP addresses. I've also got it with Atari fonts for the counter. Now the pages are much quicker.

Your site is fantastic looking. It really makes me want to re-do my antique "web 0.1" web site. :D

Steve

Great site.

I also have this theory, that if a computer was good enough for certain tasks 20 years ago, then it is still good enough for those tasks now.

There are somethings it is not suitable for (photo editing, 3D rendering, commercial software development, etc), but for basic word processing, spreadsheets, etc, it was capable then, and still is.

Hell, most people still read books made from paper, and yet we have PDA's now capable of holding a massive number of ebooks.

Besides, sometimes it's nice to get away from the clutter of modern applications. :)

I agree 100%,Pengwin. A '57 Chevy will still get you to the grocery store and back.

(And you can still get parts for it )

I have and use a hand cranked ice cream maker my grandfather bought.

I treasure it and love the nostalgia (and the ice cream!) :)

Nice site and I really like the cursor moving from left right as if someone is typing something on an 8bit, I like the atari font too

What are those 2 boxes just below the counter ??

Those two boxes mean that the site conforms to the XHTML and CSS standards. But I've just checked the validation and they failed :x

This is because I have added stuff recently and forgot to check. By the time most people read this, I will have fixed the errors.

Edited by Pengwin

Nice site and I really like the cursor moving from left right as if someone is typing something on an 8bit, I like the atari font too

What are those 2 boxes just below the counter ??

just in case anyone is interested, I created the banner at the top by taking screen shots of Atari800MacX with the text:

KRAZY PENGWIN'S

ATARI 8-BIT HOME

I also got a shot of the actual cursor, then just moved the cursor along the frames of the animated gif, revealing the text. Simple, but effective (I thought). I think I have a delay of half a second between each frame.

The colours of the site are taken directly from Atari800MacX, so they are very close to the actual colours of the Atari default screen.

Your website gets better every time I see it! I love the poem about Atari. You are very talented, in many ways!

Take care, be well, be safe, and be blessed!

Thanks Jell, I thought I ought to put up at least one poem about Atari considering it is an Atari mainly site. I'm working on some others, so hopefully, they will go up soon.