IGNORED

correct pronounciation of A8 CPU

carmel_andrews

What is the correct pronounciation of the CPU for the A8

Is is sixty five o two

or is it sity five hundred and two

or is it six five o two

just curious thats' all

I always called it the six five o two. Don't know if it's correct, but people understand what I mean.

It is amazing how such an (apparently) simple question could be so interesting.

I hope the original poster doesn't mind. But not being from an English speaking country, I would find very interesting to expand this topic to other A8 related numbers (and names):

How do you pronounce 800,130,810,1010?

How do you pronounce the custom chips (ANTIC,CTIA,GTIA,POKEY)?

How do you pronounce 800,130,810,1010?

How do you pronounce the custom chips (ANTIC,CTIA,GTIA,POKEY)?

Eight Hundred, One Thirty, Eight Ten, Ten Ten

an-tik, poh-kee The other two (CTIA/GTIA) I just say the individual letters in sequence (exactly like deathtrappomegranate just pointed out ^ above)

Edited by remowilliams

I suppose the 680x0 can be a grey area.

68000 - I've always called and heard it called 68 thousand.

68020 - Sixty-eight twenty, sixty-eight oh twenty, sixty-eight oh two oh.

Peripherals: eight ten, ten-ten, ten-fifty, ten twenty-seven etc.

Edited by Rybags
  • Like 1

the 68000 has already being done as it is refered predominantly as 68k (hence sixty-eight thousand)

the 68020/30 etc, i've alway's heard it shortened to '020 or '030

that's o'twenty or o'thirty...but i could be wrong

I think the z80 is pretty obvious...thats zed eighty

in regards to the 2600 though...two possibilities...two six hundred or twenty six hundred (or poss'y 2 thou 6 hundred)

Sixty-five oh two, and his good friends sixty-five oh seven and sixty-five ten, and big brother sixty-five eight sixteen.

z80 - another grey area? How about "Zee-eight-oh" (kinda sounds like a hippy revival festival)

Zed-eighty around here, and in the UK. Should be the same in .au too.

Edited by MacbthPSW
  • Like 1

Tendencies in language is to gravitate towards pronunciations that take less effort.

For instance, one of my pet-peeves is how people say "antartic" and "artic" instead of "antarctic" and "arctic", or "shtreet" instead of "street" or "libary" instead of "library".

Then you have weird cases of adding consonants where they don't belong. Like "warsh" or 'warshington".

Edited by mos6507

Tendencies in language is to gravitate towards pronunciations that take less effort.

For instance, one of my pet-peeves is how people say "antartic" and "artic" instead of "antarctic" and "arctic", or "shtreet" instead of "street" or "libary" instead of "library".

Then you have weird cases of adding consonants where they don't belong. Like "warsh" or 'warshington".

Yes. Speech is like walking in the sense that it involves a very complex series of movements that most of us don't stop to think about. The movements that cause the sounds we create as we speak often lend themselves to the creation of other sounds, sometimes ones that don't match the proper pronunciation of the words we're trying to say. This is what causes people to insert, transpose, or omit sounds in their words (phonetic processes known as epenthesis, metathesis, and syncope/apocope, respectively); it's simply a way of minimizing the effort involved in speaking. For example, when somebody says "2600," they might pronounce it "twenty-six hundred", but it will probably be more like "twenny-six hunderd"; it's the same number of syllables, but your tongue doesn't have to work quite as hard to pronounce the latter.

So, in the case of "6502," it's easier to say "sixty-five-oh-two" than it is to say "six-five-oh-two" because, as supercat points out, even though "sixty-five" contains one syllable more than "six-five," the extra sounds in that syllable help to smooth the transition between the two words. At the end of the "x", your teeth are closed, your lips are open, and your tongue is allowing air to pass between it and the alveolar ridge (the frontmost part of the roof of your mouth) through your front teeth, producing an "s" sound. When you begin to make the transition to pronouncing the "f" sound in "five", it's necessary to do two things: you have to stop saying "s", and you have to open your teeth slightly so you can place your top front teeth on your lower lip to say "f". The last syllable of "sixty" lends itself very nicely to that: your tongue curls up to touch the alveolar ridge to interrupt the flow of air and terminate the "s", producing the "t" at the same time, and the opening of the teeth and the resumption of air flow produce the "e" sound. Similarly, the "oh-two" sounds go very well together also; only a brief curl of the tongue and contraction of the lips are necessary to create them.

Edited by jaybird3rd
  • Like 1