IGNORED

correct pronounciation of A8 CPU

carmel_andrews

• 2 years later...

This one has a weird history to it, actually. In the age of typewriters, and up until the mid 80s, once computers became more commonplace, typists were taught that it was OK to substitute a 0 (zero character) with an "O" (uppercase O). Even Statistical Typists, in accounting offices...

This caused a lot of errors eventually, because secretaries would type the wrong character for a zero, and think that it was OK, because that's what they had been taught in typing school.

From the 60s onward through the 80s it was pretty common to have billing errors chalked up to "Computer Errors in the Billing Department"... not too hard to guess why... ha

Even today, you often hear people mispronounce zip codes, area codes, dialing prefixes & suffixes. This can easily be explained because they learned it from parents & teachers of an older generation.

It's good to teach yourself to get out of old vocalization habits, to avoid sounding out of touch... ha... say your zip code, or a few telephone numbers, and see if you catch yourself saying "oh"... if so, it may be a good time to relearn them with a zero, so people don't call you 'Grandpa"...

= )

It is everywhere, though... Dial "Oh" for Operator? Still? in 2009? There is no O, it's a damned zero! (like the old, "Hit ANY Key" joke...There is no key labeled ANY... ha) ...Actually, wait, the "Oh" key is on the 6... weird... that wouldn't work. Error. There must be some nimrod out there pressing the 6 for an operator, kicking things because the Phone Tree Lady keeps saying "Entry Not Understood.".

Ha!

As far as the 6502 goes, though, it IS a product of another time, and I'm sure that it will be known as a "Sixty Five Oh Two" as long as there is an oral tradition surrounding it. 100 years from now, it's pretty likely that people will refer to it as a "Six Five Zero Two", if they see it in an ancient engineering text.

The Phone Tree Lady, ha, I crack myself up!

That's what really annoyed me about that Commodore 64 video posted recently in another thread.

He was calling it "65 Oh two" - fair enough, I like "six five oh two" but if he insists...

But, everyone knows Commodore used common people's names for a lot of their custom chips, just as Atari liked to use female names for entire machines.

VIC as in "Victor", not "Vee Eye See".

Unsure if he called SID "Sid" or "Ess Eye Dee".

In the United States and most of the English speaking countries, "Sixty Five oh Two" is common.

Zee Eighty is common for Z80.

Eighty-EightySix is common for 8086

"Two Eighty Six", "Three Eighty Six", "Four Eighty Six" is common for 80286, 80386, 80486. Dropping "Eighty" was common and everyone knew what you were talking about.

Sixty-Eight Hundred/Sixty-Eight Thousand is common for the Motorola processors.

i've always heard it pronounced sixty-five oh two...

I've heard it either way, hence the original premise behind the post....where's Chuck Peddle when you need him...He can clear this up once and for all

Just one other thing you peeps may say Zee eighty, over this side of the big drink it's Zed eighty (Z80)

Just one other thing you peeps may say Zee eighty, over this side of the big drink it's Zed eighty (Z80)

This side of the border we say "zed-eighty", with the exception of the people who grew up watching too much American Sesame Street.

re: 6502, I've always said "sixty-five oh two" and have rarely noticed anyone saying anything different at the various geeky shows I go to every year (World of Commodore in Toronto, variously named Commodore expos in Chicago, and Midwest Gaming Classic outside Milwaukee). Though maybe that's because I'm doing most of the talking? :P Or maybe it's a difference between the Atari and Commodore camps?

Edited by MacbthPSW

For spelling the words corectly, it may be better to use the fonetics.... but it is hard to write with a standard keyboard :)

In german we spell it like this:

Antic ->Äntik

GTIA -> GTIA (keh Teh ee ah)

POKEY (Poh Kee)

6502 fünfundsechzig null zwei

68000 -> achtundsechzigtausend

and so on :D

If you really want to know the correct way to pronounce 6502, you could watch an interview with the creator:

Spoiler alert: It's sixty-five oh two

Well Rob, I did say, where's Mr Peddle when you need him

As for MacBethPSW....Oops, forgot about canada, i guess that since the americans and canadians are similar sounding, i thought the pronounciation might be the same as well

Edited by carmel_andrews

In the United States and most of the English speaking countries, "Sixty Five oh Two" is common.

Zee Eighty is common for Z80.

Eighty-EightySix is common for 8086

"Two Eighty Six", "Three Eighty Six", "Four Eighty Six" is common for 80286, 80386, 80486. Dropping "Eighty" was common and everyone knew what you were talking about.

Sixty-Eight Hundred/Sixty-Eight Thousand is common for the Motorola processors.

in New York and Ohio, its sixty-five-oh-two and sixty-eight-kay

the 68000 has already being done as it is refered predominantly as 68k (hence sixty-eight thousand)

the 68020/30 etc, i've alway's heard it shortened to '020 or '030

that's o'twenty or o'thirty...but i could be wrong

I think the z80 is pretty obvious...thats zed eighty

in regards to the 2600 though...two possibilities...two six hundred or twenty six hundred (or poss'y 2 thou 6 hundred)

Always used(since I rarely hear)... twenty six hundred, zee 80(never heard zed80 till now).

Usually the first two number digits are taken together, the rest individual numbers when not even..68000 is sixtyeight 'k' or thousand, 6800 is sixtyeight hundred, 6502 is sixtyfive 'o' 'two'(same for IC numbers), 68030 is sixtyeight 'o' '3' 'o' or sixtyeight 'o' '30'.

'O' for zero is lazy, but usually o.k. It has caused problems.

I am still not sure how to pronounce "MYSQL".

99% of the time, I pronounce it the way I hear it in my brain as I READ it, I have rarely heard others pronounce these things in real life. I am not usually around other techies actually talking about this stuff.

Rick D.

As far as MySQL is concerned I usually say My-ess-que-elle. However one of our DBAs insists on pronouncing it exactly as written which ends up sounding (to me anyway) like My Squirrel. I keep wondering why he brings up his pets in technical meetings ;)

As far as MySQL is concerned I usually say My-ess-que-elle. However one of our DBAs insists on pronouncing it exactly as written which ends up sounding (to me anyway) like My Squirrel. I keep wondering why he brings up his pets in technical meetings ;)

my-sequel

my-sequel

That figures, I hear plenty of people say sequel for SQL but I swear this guy says squirrel!

That figures, I hear plenty of people say sequel for SQL but I swear this guy says squirrel!

I know a guy who pronounces SQL as "squirrel".

I pronounce SQL as "ess queue ell", but MySQL as "my squeal"... not sure where I picked that up.

Apparently the PostgreSQL people get seriously annoyed if they hear you pronounce it as "postgres". Officially supposed to either pronounce the SQL part, or else call it "postgre"... or so I'm told by a guy who calls it "postgre" pronounced with a long E at the end.

Then you've got the whole Linux thing ("linn ucks" or "line ucks"?)...

...and I knew one guy who was pretty good at PC troubleshooting/repair, but pronounced "cache" with a long a (like "cayshe"). First time I heard it, took a couple minutes to figure out what he's talking about.

Well Mr Torvalds himself has cleared this up : Linus Torvalds on pronunciation

Hmm, his accent has certainly improved... the old version (wav file), he said it kinda like "leenochs".

Anyway the reason people pronounce it wrong is that they've never seen that video (maybe they're so new at Linux that they don't even know who Linus is). Lots of words I know that I've only ever seen written, never heard pronounced... it's kind of an occupational hazard of reading too much.

Edited by Urchlay