IGNORED

Is this for real?

lowscore

I read that this was a prototype, but here it is for sale:

post-11963-1167323492_thumb.jpg

or this?

post-11963-1167324512.jpg

Is this a scam, repro or for real? Exactly the same vague text:

"(insert game) for the Atari 5200. Can't say a whole lot more about it. Actual item shown. Digital artifacts are due to jpg compression. Label and cart are mint. Thanks for bidding."

Edited by lowscore

Please see above edited post for more intrigue.

It's obvious what is going on, not much intrigue value. This happens quite often and unfortunately people do end up paying more than what something should be worth for a better lack of knowledge. This is what happens when a seller gets greedy. Unfortunately, it could even be a current or new lurking AA member trying to hide behind the cover of a new user ID on eBay doing this, because if an existing member did this out in public they would probably get blasted by the community.

It's obvious what is going on, not much intrigue value. This happens quite often and unfortunately people do end up paying more than what something should be worth for a better lack of knowledge. This is what happens when a seller gets greedy. Unfortunately, it could even be a current or new lurking AA member trying to hide behind the cover of a new user ID on eBay doing this, because if an existing member did this out in public they would probably get blasted by the community.

I just got my first 5200 with Pac-Man and Frogger, and was looking for something fun I have not seen on the 2600. I am very leary of many of these sleazebay sales. I have had problems with 2600 sellers too, and I appreciate the heads up about these alleged 5200 repros. I

It sucks that people can't just be honest.

Get yourself a USB 128-in-1 cart from Classics (the first guy who responded to you in this thread)... and you can have both of these games on the real hardware, for nothing more than the time it takes to download the rom image... the same ROM image this eBay seller used to burn these repros with.

As well as 125 other ROM images of your choosing.

As well as 125 other ROM images of your choosing.

Thanks, I just ordered it. Is there a list of the games?

Almost all of the games are available here on Atariage. They're either in the 5200 section of the main part of the site or scattered throughout the message archives.

Allan

If you got the 128-in-1 USB cart, you can load it with up to 125 (I believe) ROM images of your choosing, which, as pointed out, most of them are available here.

If you got the 128-in-1 Multicart that is non-programmable (but why would you do that), then Classics has a list of what is available.

I'd suggest that you want the first one, the USB one, not the second, if you've ordered the wrong one, I'm sure Classics can take care of you.

As mentioned, most of the roms are available here.

You can also google for 5200 rom images. Torrents work, as well as Usenet. There are a lot of different sources out there. PM me if you have any trouble.

In any case, you've made the right choice. This cart rocks.

Edited by Paranoid

It's hard to sell repros on Ebay though, if you mention it's a repro they pull it. I think the best thing to do is just sell them in forums, that way no one gets taking advantage of.

It's hard to sell repros on Ebay though, if you mention it's a repro they pull it. I think the best thing to do is just sell them in forums, that way no one gets taking advantage of.

Replace the words repro or reproduction with REPRINT and your listing will stay the course and you stay honest at the same time.

Nothing gets pulled automatically - eBay only pulls auctions that get reported to them for some kind of violation. The seller is not using the word reproduction in his listing because it is their intention to mislead the buyer. The 3 day acution format is also an attempt to "fly under the radar" and hope the auction geos to completion before someone blows the whistle.

Nothing gets pulled automatically - eBay only pulls auctions that get reported to them for some kind of violation. The seller is not using the word reproduction in his listing because it is their intention to mislead the buyer. The 3 day acution format is also an attempt to "fly under the radar" and hope the auction geos to completion before someone blows the whistle.

I emailed the guy about it and he was dismissive, rude and pretty much a pr** about the matter. He knows it is shady, what he is doing, but I am no rat. Somebody with a bigger beef against rip-off artists might, though.

Edited by lowscore

I emailed the guy about it and he was dismissive, rude and pretty much a pr** about the matter. He knows it is shady, what he is doing, but I am no rat. Somebody with a bigger beef against rip-off artists might, though.

If he is rude about it then I would say report him, I tried to give the guy the benefit of the doubt but it sounds like he is just what everybody thought, someone who trys to make a quick buck of people that don't know any better :| Someone should narc on him.

Yep. It's me the "Lurker" just had a question about these ebay auctions... since I'm a prick and quite rude about it. I also noticed that this seller happenes to be an Atariage member as well. Hmmm. I see that in his auctions nowhere does it mention that these are prototypes, reproductions, reprints, or reissues. So is he taking advantage of people or is this just a huge hypocrisy? Thanks again for your time

http://cgi.ebay.com/ATARI-5200-THE-LAST-ST...1QQcmdZViewItem

or how about this one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ATARI-5200-JR-PAC-MAN_...1QQcmdZViewItem

or this one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ATARI-5200-SATANS-HOLL...1QQcmdZViewItem

Yep. It's me the "Lurker" just had a question about these ebay auctions... since I'm a prick and quite rude about it. I also noticed that this seller happenes to be an Atariage member as well. Hmmm. I see that in his auctions nowhere does it mention that these are prototypes, reproductions, reprints, or reissues. So is he taking advantage of people or is this just a huge hypocrisy? Thanks again for your time

http://cgi.ebay.com/ATARI-5200-THE-LAST-ST...1QQcmdZViewItem

or how about this one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ATARI-5200-JR-PAC-MAN_...1QQcmdZViewItem

or this one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ATARI-5200-SATANS-HOLL...1QQcmdZViewItem

The dude has a point.

I don't see it as he has any point at all.

The first seller states that his items are rare and one of a kind the second seller states none of that and leaves it up to the buyer to decide if thats the case.