IGNORED

The 1450XLD fake thread

atarinoob

You guys have got to be kidding. This is obviously a hoax. The two pictures are identical, he just zoomed in a little on the second one. Perhaps not coincidentally, theres a 1400 on Ebay at the moment.

Yes, that is right. I snipped the picture. That are the pics i made 2 day ago.

I can make new ones, if you like.

$550 starting bid? WOW.

But besides that, can assure you i am in no way affiliated with the seller of that 1400XL.

You guys have got to be kidding. This is obviously a hoax. The two pictures are identical, he just zoomed in a little on the second one. Perhaps not coincidentally, theres a 1400 on Ebay at the moment.

Yes, but the third pic is from a different angle, and does not appear to have been edited at all.

Pretty pictures :)

I still don't buy it, one of the rarest 8bit computers around, a name like atarinoob, etc. My guess would be some type of prank or an experienced Atari person trying to get a high price for a 1450XL under the guise of noobihood. Too much of a cynic these days.

Of course, my apologizes to atarinoob if you are 100% telling the truth :D

Pretty pictures :)

I still don't buy it, one of the rarest 8bit computers around, a name like atarinoob, etc. My guess would be some type of prank or an experienced Atari person trying to get a high price for a 1450XL under the guise of noobihood. Too much of a cynic these days.

Of course, my apologizes to atarinoob if you are 100% telling the truth :D

Who cares! Why bicker over who he is, or says he is?

He OBVIOUSLY has actually got the machine in his hands.. You dont just "Steal" that many unique 1450XLD pics. I think he's done a reasonable job of trying to avert skepticsm. And he's not trying to offend anyone, so let's show him some courtesy, instead of treating a new user as a fraud, right off the bat, when he APPARENTLY has something that we all wish we could own.

Based on his pics, I'd say thats about the most PRESTINE 1450XLD, ive seen so far. The ones from atari museum, and JaySmith2000.com are fine examples, but look rather "worn" by comparisson..

I also seem to remember reading somewhere that some of the 1450XLD's people have come across in the past, actually had a 1200XL nametag on them from the factory.. Cant remember where I read it, but it was on some ATARI site that dealt with the rare machines..

Perhaps Curt Vendell or the owners of the other 1450XLD machines can comment further on this...

anywayze..

Welcome to ATARI AGE, AtariNoob. Thats a REAL NICE machine you got there..

Welcome to ATARI AGE, AtariNoob. Thats a REAL NICE machine you got there..

Thanks MEtalGuy66

To repeat it: I am not gonna sell it nor trying to raise prices on things other people sell.

The left drive seems to be out of order. Even if switched on, it doesn't spin the disk some times as the right one does.

I have some bads news for you atarinoob. You will never find a more interesting or rarer classic videogame/computer item for the rest of your life. (Unless of course your the luckiest person in the world.) :)

Congrats on such a great find. It really is the coolest Atari computer ever made. I really wish Atari had massed produced these along with the 1090Xl expansion box.

Allan

Say it isn't so! This seems a little fishy! Why would someone who doesn't know sqwat about an Atari buy it for $125 because it looks cool, with intentions of hacking it for a modern AMD PC!!

And if this really happened then that is just great. Someone who has not lived and breathed Atari since the 1980's (like me) finds this, and the rest of us have to pay out our asses (Look at the 1400XL on ebay now) just to get some collactable Atari gear! God knows I have paid for my common atari stuff I have got over the years from rapeMeBay...

To the OP, do not even think about gutting it! You have a very nice gem there, appreciate it! :)

AHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

I guess more bizarre things can happen in this world huh? ;)

Edited by tjlazer

I remember the big C (mr Atari history) himself saying that Atari made 1200's with 1450 xld casing's specifically for promotional uses and for CES promotions during late 82-83

Hmm. could be one of them, then. The connectors look like a 1200, don't they?

Edited by atarinoob

Seems to lack the modem and PBI ports of the "official" 1450.

Even if it is only a 1200 guts, still a great find.

To try the second drive, just boot and go into DOS.

Type "A" <enter>

Then type "2:" <enter>

If there's no disk in the left drive, you should get an ERROR - 144.

Also try "3:" through "8:" - the drive might be configured as some other number.

A photo of the machine running on a TV would be cool too.

I remember the big C (mr Atari history) himself saying that Atari made 1200's with 1450 xld casing's specifically for promotional uses and for CES promotions during late 82-83

Hmm. could be one of them, then. The connectors look like a 1200, don't they?

They certainly do -- no PBI visible. It certainly appears to be exactly what the label says, a 1200XL in a 1450 case. Still, a *very* neat find.

I wonder how the drives are hooked up? Likely an internal SIO ribbon cable, but *maybe, perhaps, possibly* the piggy-back, parallel controller?

Now here is an off-the-wall question -- I wonder what it would cost to have a custom 1450-type top shell injection molded in prototyping quantities -- say 50 or 100 pieces? Does anyone know anything about the economies of such things? It certainly could be custom-made in fiberglass. Perhaps in an updated version, D1: could be a HD and D2: floppy #1. And note, I'm *not* implying that is what the pictured machine is. -Larry

Now here is an off-the-wall question -- I wonder what it would cost to have a custom 1450-type top shell injection molded in prototyping quantities -- say 50 or 100 pieces? Does anyone know anything about the economies of such things?

You dont want to know! I was quoted $130,000 for the mold to make the 5 parts in this item.

$70,000 if made in China.

If you assume the mold prices would be the same for an 1450xld, Split 100 ways. It would cost $700 for each case. That makes the 1400xl currently selling seem cheap. You could make more to cover the cost, but who would buy them?

Edited by Almost Rice

Now here is an off-the-wall question -- I wonder what it would cost to have a custom 1450-type top shell injection molded in prototyping quantities -- say 50 or 100 pieces? Does anyone know anything about the economies of such things? It certainly could be custom-made in fiberglass. Perhaps in an updated version, D1: could be a HD and D2: floppy #1. And note, I'm *not* implying that is what the pictured machine is. -Larry

You'd have to make the bottom case half too because the 1450XLD is about 6 inches longer than the 1200XL, front-to-back.

And heh. youd be talking at least half a mil for the mold to make even ONE piece of that complexity and size.. Theres no market to bear that kind of production cost..

Now.. If someone could somehow convince chelco, or one of the other case manufacturers to dig up a pre-existing mold (I doubt they just THROW AWAY something like that) then youd just be looking at whatever setup-fees are necessary for a single production run.. That may be feasible, but would still be in the thousands or ten-thousands of dollars..

Ive already checked into all this crap pretty extensively...

Something SMALL like a cart-shell, WITH a pre-existing mold.. Is doable.. something like a top case half.. heh. not unless you are rich..