IGNORED

Dreadnought Assault (WIP)

@kiwilove and I worked on this quite some time ago, but it was sidelined for various reasons. We've picked it up again and hope to make something playable from it.

Your task is to destroy all the turrets on the dreadnought, collect a hostage and return to the launch bay. This is complicated by a host of different enemies attacking you.

Use the joystick to move your ship, left trigger to fire and right trigger to flip direction. If you destroy a dragon, it will be followed by a pickup that you can collect:

S = Shield boost

P = Protector

W = Weapon upgrade

The game finishes when your shield is fully depleted. There will be 7 dreadnoughts in total, but I've only sequenced the first 2 so far.

ttda_0.1.a78 ttda_0.1.bin

• Like 21
  • Thanks 4

This looks amazing! The gameplay is smooth, and the graphics look great! My one suggestion so far would be to have more of an indication of when you are hit. Maybe your ship can flash slightly when you take damage, or perhaps just the shield indicator?

• Like 3

ZeroPage Homebrew is playing Turret Turmoil: Dreadnought Assault on tomorrow's ZPH stream LIVE on Twitch! Hope you can join us!

Fri Apr 19, 2024 | LIVE @ 6PM PT | 9PM ET | 1AM GMT+1Day  <- PLEASE NOTE: TIME HAS BEEN UPDATED

Games:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Karl G said:

My one suggestion so far would be to have more of an indication of when you are hit. Maybe your ship can flash slightly when you take damage, or perhaps just the shield indicator?

Thanks for the suggestion, I have a couple of ideas to try out.

• Like 5

Thanks everybody for the encouraging words. I think we started on this towards the end of 2020 and it's been on and off ever since. I didn't think we'd get anything playable from it and was happy to chalk it up as a learning exercise, but Harvey had some time available this year and wanted to continue with it. What helped was switching from lives to the shields, something I was previously against. It will always be a mindless shooter but it has some degree of playability now. It was good to see it on @ZeroPage Homebrew and useful to see other people play as a reference point.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, playsoft said:

What helped was switching from lives to the shields, something I was previously against. It will always be a mindless shooter but it has some degree of playability now.

👍

Great call with having a shield meter.  I am glad you ultimately agreed to that option.  A one hit life is lost, 3 lives game is over, would be extremely difficult.   Works very well with 1942, which features much less chaos, but not this title.  Even with more total lives, losing a life frequently can build frustration and discouragement towards the game.  It's also very disruptive towards the game(play) flow.

Having a shield meter, and even a possibility to boost it, is exactly what this kind of 'mindless' chaotic shooter needs.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...