IGNORED

New Game: Destroyer 7800

S.D.W.

Hello. I am releasing my first Atari 7800 game today...

DESTROYER 7800

This game has been tested on real hardware using the 7800GD, the miSTer 7800 core and emulators including A7800 and BUPSystem.

Region: NTSC
Players: 1
Controller: 2-button gamepad/joystick

INSTRUCTIONS

You are the anti-submarine warfare officer of a destroyer on patrol somewhere in the South Pacific. The sea below your ship is rife with enemy submarines. Your job is to destroy as many enemy submarines as possible within your 90-second firing window using your ship's main ASW weapon: The depth charge. Your ship can launch up to 4 depth charges at a time. Since depth charges are timed to explode at a pre-determined depth, you must place the aiming line at the depth you wish the charge to explode while gauging the time it will take the charge to reach that depth to explode on an enemy submarine. The aiming line can be moved vertically using the controller.  Depth charges are not contact weapons so they will only destroy an enemy submarine upon exploding at the pre-determined depth. You may fire a depth charge by pressing the button on your controller.  Your destroyer has two speeds which may be changed using the alternate button on the controller. If you manage to manage to rack up 2500 points or more, your firing window will be extended by 30 seconds.

SCORING

There are five rows of submarines that score as follows:

First Row:       10 points
Second Row:   25 points
Third Row:      50 points
Fourth Row:    75 Points
Fifth Row:     125 Points

HISTORY

I wrote this game in about 10 hours, most of which was learning how to program for this console. The game is loosely based on an old Atari Arcade game from the 1970s called Destroyer.

WHAT'S NEXT

I have two more games under development for the 7800 at the moment. More info when they are ready to be released. Hope you enjoy this.

SCREENSHOTS

DestroyerShot_001.thumb.jpg.a5bd8ee552261c0d767a495569a17c46.jpg DestroyerShot_002.thumb.jpg.2db948ed4d2d18fec477308b66969c92.jpg  DestroyerShot_003.thumb.jpg.85da6970bf52f0bb2af04e292d611e1f.jpg DestroyerShot_004.thumb.jpg.316b228ceae4a091cfe005ba8dbbd99b.jpg
UPDATE

New version 1.3 uploaded (03/31/2024)
Fixed: Points not being awarded for subs destroyed in the 4th row.

Added: Title screen now shows version number.

Previous: Fixed extended time triggering too early.

Destroyer 7800 (1.3).a78

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, S.D.W. said:

Hello. I am releasing my first Atari 7800 game today...

DESTROYER 7800

Destroyer is game that I haven't played in a long time. A long time. Thanks for making & sharing your game.

ObiWan NameNot Heard.jpg

• Like 6

Thanks to everybody for the compliments and that score is great! I am terrible at my own game unfortunately. I wanted to address the early extended-time bonus issue so I have uploaded a test version below. Please let me know if this version is working as expected.

Destroyer 7800 (03262024) - Extended Time Fix.a78

• Like 7

18 hours ago, S.D.W. said:

Thanks to everybody for the compliments and that score is great! I am terrible at my own game unfortunately. I wanted to address the early extended-time bonus issue so I have uploaded a test version below. Please let me know if this version is working as expected.

Destroyer 7800 (03262024) - Extended Time Fix.a78 32.13 kB · 17 downloads

Thanks. I’ll try to test again over the weekend.

• Like 1

Found some time to test today. The extended-time bonus is working correctly now and it has made the game even more challenging. It took many tries before I was able to get 2500 points. Came as close as 2,495 a couple of times, before finally breaking through.

Loving the challenge.👍

IMG_4482.jpeg

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, S.D.W. said:

Terrific, thank you for testing and confirming the fix! 

Just a note that my next release is in progress and about 50% finished. This game is an arcade port. :)

Can't wait!

• Like 3

When you drop a depth charge it doesn't explode until it reaches the depth where the aiming line was when you pressed the button, that is the whole purpose of the aiming line. By design, a depth charge is harmless to the subs until it explodes.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, S.D.W. said:

When you drop a depth charge it doesn't explode until it reaches the depth where the aiming line was when you pressed the button, that is the whole purpose of the aiming line. By design, a depth charge is harmless to the subs until it explodes.

No...i hit the subs...they explode and I do not get any points

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gambler172 said:

No...i hit the subs...they explode and I do not get any points

Odd.  I just tried the later Extended Time Fix version.  It seemed to be registering scores just fine for me.

I note you are in Germany.  Perhaps it is some sort of NTSC vs PAL issue?

1 hour ago, LS650 said:

Odd.  I just tried the later Extended Time Fix version.  It seemed to be registering scores just fine for me.

I note you are in Germany.  Perhaps it is some sort of NTSC vs PAL issue?

I play on an NTSC system. And I use  a 7800 GD

This happens sometimes, not in every game.

Edited by gambler172