IGNORED

Adventure II cartridge plans

Cafeman

Where does it end though? The poor guy could end up developing the 8-bit version for the rest of his days. I mean if you really wanted to you could go the bank-switching route and add lots more. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for an enhanced 8-bit version but I also don't want to put too much pressure on him. He may want to wrap this project up and begin something new and totally different.

tjb

2. possibility of the original Adventure as Easter Egg.

I can pretty much guarantee that this won't happen, as I don't think Atari would be too keen on us including an entire copy of the original game alongside Adventure II. However, because we have to use a bankswitch cartridge for the 8-bit, that does leave the possibility of expanding the game beyond 32K. But I don't think Ron really wants to spend a lot of time doing additional Adventure II work beyond porting it to the 8-bit. I think he'd like to move onto something new. :)

..Al

2. possibility of the original Adventure as Easter Egg.

I can pretty much guarantee that this won't happen, as I don't think Atari would be too keen on us including an entire copy of the original game alongside Adventure II. However, because we have to use a bankswitch cartridge for the 8-bit, that does leave the possibility of expanding the game beyond 32K. But I don't think Ron really wants to spend a lot of time doing additional Adventure II work beyond porting it to the 8-bit. I think he'd like to move onto something new. :)

..Al

Good point! You'd prob. have to sell your soul to get that from them!

How does Ron feel about working on the 8B version?

Edited by MaDDuck

...The manual

Putting a brown/gold "retro" label on the cart would be awesome.

I'm not sure I want to do that, but I have printed such labels before and they are virtually indistinguishable from the real thing. :)

<killer images of retro brown carts>

..Al

Oh sure. Tease me with images like that and then tell me you won't do it.

You are a cruel man, Al ;)

I can pretty much guarantee that this won't happen, as I don't think Atari would be too keen on us including an entire copy of the original game alongside Adventure II. However, because we have to use a bankswitch cartridge for the 8-bit, that does leave the possibility of expanding the game beyond 32K. But I don't think Ron really wants to spend a lot of time doing additional Adventure II work beyond porting it to the 8-bit. I think he'd like to move onto something new. :) ..Al

Atari would not even permit me to include duck dragons in 5200 Adventure II -- absolutely no Atari 2600 Adventure images were allowed. Except the square. :) One of the original secrets was going to be blocky Adventure-style secret area with duck dragons but I cancelled that idea, and pretty much replaced it with rankings/contest icons/and the castle rampart/Towers screens.

Atari would not even permit me to include duck dragons in 5200 Adventure II -- absolutely no Atari 2600 Adventure images were allowed. Except the square. :)

But what about the flags inside the castle? There's the key, an attacking dragon, and the sword... :?:

Atari would not even permit me to include duck dragons in 5200 Adventure II -- absolutely no Atari 2600 Adventure images were allowed. Except the square. :)

But what about the flags inside the castle? There's the key, an attacking dragon, and the sword... :?:

Well it's not the same image pixle for pixle and it's black. It's not playable either as you can't kill or interact with it in any way.

post-7623-1179189652.gif :arrow: post-7623-1179189431.gif

Well it's not the same image pixle for pixle and it's black. It's not playable either as you can't kill or interact with it in any way.

post-7623-1179189652.gif :arrow: post-7623-1179189431.gif

:idea: Ah... that explains a great many things...

• 2 weeks later...

I don't want a new title screen. Too much work. I also felt I might make a few tweaks based on feedback from the 5200 version. One thing that was asked for was a "full" random mode. In other words, normally in the 5200 version you'll always find the sword and bridge and gold key somewhere in kingdom 1 at the start of the game. I did this to make the game less frustrating. However, in this proposed full random mode, the sword might be in kingdom 4's forests while the gold key is in the hedge maze, and the bridge might be locked in in the ice castle (kingdom 3). The easiest way would be to make a new game variation #23, which would be just like #22 (randomly picks one of the possible mazes for each of the 4 kingdoms) but will have more open-ended item placement at game start. I'll just have to be careful you can actually GET TO the items. Thoughts on this?

I tried to edit my previous post, but it wouldn't work right so I'll try re-posting here.

I don’t know if this is feasible or not, but I’ll throw it out anyway. When I was considering ways to improve Adventure (the original version), I thought about starting with a key placed randomly in the kingdom. If that key was the gold key, for example, the player would have to unlock the gold castle, and inside would be another key to another castle. Suppose this key were to the fire castle. The player would then go unlock the fire castle to find another key. This would continue on until all the castles were unlocked. Inside one of the castles would be a dragon guarding the golden chalice. The other 2 dragons would be free to roam the entire kingdom. Of course, the problem here is that you can’t get to the fire castle without going through the green castle. Perhaps the green castle screen could be modified to let the player get to the other castles by placing exits on the left and the right of the green castle screen leading directly to the fire and ice kingdoms. The other objects would be placed randomly about the kingdom or inside one of the castles. Once the golden chalice is obtained, all living dragons would assemble at the gold castle to guard against the chalice being returned. In fact, they could be revived for that very purpose! This plan would ensure a random game where all the castles are utilized. Just my 2 cents worth.

I don't want a new title screen. Too much work. I also felt I might make a few tweaks based on feedback from the 5200 version. One thing that was asked for was a "full" random mode. In other words, normally in the 5200 version you'll always find the sword and bridge and gold key somewhere in kingdom 1 at the start of the game. I did this to make the game less frustrating. However, in this proposed full random mode, the sword might be in kingdom 4's forests while the gold key is in the hedge maze, and the bridge might be locked in in the ice castle (kingdom 3). The easiest way would be to make a new game variation #23, which would be just like #22 (randomly picks one of the possible mazes for each of the 4 kingdoms) but will have more open-ended item placement at game start. I'll just have to be careful you can actually GET TO the items. Thoughts on this?

Sounds good - should make everyone happy :)

Sounds good - should make everyone happy :)

I'm guessing everyone will be happy, no matter what version is released on the 8-bit side, seeing how successful the 5200 version is.

However, I would venture to guess that more people who own the 5200 version would be willing to buy a copy for their 8-bit, if there are more differences in the two versions.

Just a thought...

• 10 months later...