IGNORED

Worst ports ever.

AtticGamer

What are the worst arcade-console or console-console ports in your opinion?

Mine are:

Alien 3 for GG, the aliens movie like robots and it's impossible to avoid them. Ripley jumps are horrible and elevators are too small.

Street Fighter II for Game Boy, the characters move horribly and it lacks characters.

Street Fighter II for Genesis, not the worst but still inferior to the Snes and PCE ports, horrible sound and small characters.

Sonic 2 for GG, what is it with the difficulty of boss battles?

Pac-Man for Atari VCS, not a bad game on its own but a bad port.

Donkey Kong for Zx Spectrum, so many barrels it's impossible to pass the first level.

Contra III for GBA, the Genesis levels are too hard and no 2 weapom switch nor aura bomb making the game even harder.

off the top of my head......

Spy Hunter for the NES (big time bummer.....that game was awesome)

Burgertime for the Atari VCS (not too bad....but definately better ports are out there....NES, 7800 homebrew, etc.)

Ikari Warriors 2 (loved the arcade version.....the NES version sucked ass...not to mention the two main dudes were chubby as hell)

>>>>>Atari_kid said: Donkey Kong for Zx Spectrum, so many barrels it's impossible to pass the first level.<<<<

I'd say every arcade/console conversion for the Spectrum.

Also many UK-made arcade/console conversions for the C-64 (Those Domark/Tengen conversions especially)

Edited by thomasholzer

What are the worst arcade-console or console-console ports in your opinion?

Mine are:

Street Fighter II for Game Boy, the characters move horribly and it lacks characters.

Street Fighter II for Genesis, not the worst but still inferior to the Snes and PCE ports, horrible sound and small characters.

Sonic 2 for GG, what is it with the difficulty of boss battles?

Contra III for GBA, the Genesis levels are too hard and no 2 weapom switch nor aura bomb making the game even harder.

Mortal Kombat 1 GB is far worse than SFII GB. SFII is playable. Mortal Kombat requires the moves to be input in slow motion and has almost non-existant AI. Two things that can't be said for the GB SFII.

SFII for Genesis. Highly disagree there. It has background detail and animation that are missing from the SNES port and it plays great.

Sonic 2 for GG, you mean as a port from SMS? It's not a port from the Genesis version. There could be more screen showing, but the bosses actually aren't all that hard once you get their patterns down. I'm not sure if the bosses are any easier for the SMS one, though.

Contra III for GBA perplexes me. It's actually missing things from the GB b/w port. The GB b/w port is quite impressive for the system, but Contra III GBA could have been much better.

Edited by BrianC

Pac-man-2600

Virtual fighter 2-genesis

The genesis version was nowhere close to the arcade version of the game. Besides 2d graphics, the game appears like it suffering from slowdown.

I have to disagree with you claiming Street fighter 2 is a bad port. It was a great port if you had a 6 button controller. It is your opinion though.

Are you referring to the sms to game gear port of sonic 2? All game gear and sms sonics are supposed to be different then the genesis versions of sonic games. Sega wanted most game gear games to be different from the genesis games with the same title in terms of levels and game play. What sega did with sonic 2 was different the sega did with virtual fighter 2. What sega did with sonic 2 for game gear was to have the game being different then the genesis version, due to the fact sega what to sell game gear systems.

With virtual fighter 2, sega attempted to make the game as an arcade port, which is different then what sega did with game gear games that have the same tiltles as sega genesis games.

Edited by 8th lutz

Yea, I also disagree about the SF2 port for the Genesis. I thought it was amazing!

But inferior to other consoles I think.

It's like you totally ignored my other post. I already mentioned why it isn't inferior. Yes, the music is inferior, but it's still good. The sprites are about the same size as the SNES ones. If they are smaller, they are only slightly smaller. As I mentioned before the Genesis version has background details and animations missing from the SNES version.

Yea, I also disagree about the SF2 port for the Genesis. I thought it was amazing!

It's like you totally ignored my other post. I already mentioned why it isn't inferior. Yes, the music is inferior, but it's still good. The sprites are about the same size as the SNES ones. If they are smaller, they are only slightly smaller. As I mentioned before the Genesis version has background details and animations missing from the SNES version.

I agree with that but the sound ruins it for me, the voice is horrible.

If they left in the music from the Genesis Street Fighter 2 beta version (Street Fighter 2 Turbo),then it would have owned.Do me a favor and try out that version.It even includes the "KO" music.Trust me,the soundtrack makes an incredible difference!

Edit: I was wrong about the beta cropping off more of the screen. It looks like it was just Gens's window playing tricks on me. The beta is definitely interesting. I doubt it was really SF Turbo. I remember reading in Video Games and Computer Entertainment about a Genesis SFII that was just CE that was actually pretty much complete. The "ST Turbo" on the title screen looks like it was edited in and, for all intents and purposes, the beta is just plain 'ol Champion Edition.

As for the music, I don't argee that it's flat out better than the released version. It's better in some ways, but worse in others (Blanka's stage is a good example of this).

As for the PCE version, the PCE Champion Edition is missing background detail and is inferior in some ways to the SNES and Genesis versions. From my experience via EMU, the PCE version has inferior music, but superior sound/voice effects compared to the Genesis one. The PCE one also seems to be lacking parallax scrolling.

Also, since the IGN article mentioned it, I feel the controller for SFII SCE is a non-issue. It does suck with a three button, but it rocks with a 6-button and 6-button controllers are not hard to find. The Genesis Special Champion Edition shouldn't be anywhere near a worst game list.

Edited by BrianC

Raiden Trad SNES-Choppy gameplay and none of the fun of the original

Puyo Puyo b/w GB-slooooooow and hard to tell puyos apart. Very perplexing since Puyo Puyo Tsu for the GB totally rocks

Magical Drop for GBC-Missing story mode and only has endless for single player, unlike other versions

Millipede pen game-It's actually licensed from Infotari, but plays like a limited, toned down Centipede

Edited by BrianC

Space War 2600 is pretty disappointing. If Atari had been willing to put in 30Hz flicker, it could have allowed 3-4 shots per player quite easily. No prior version of the game that I know of was limited to one shot per player; that limitation really kills the game IMHO.

The thing about this game that slowly drives me crazy is the dark green background color. Why couldn't it have been black?

My votes for worst ports ever are Donkey Kong, and Donkey Kong Jr., and Space Armada, all on Intellivision. The Donkey Kong games look absolutely inexcusible and are almost utterly unplayable. And, Space Armada has got to be the clunkiest, most useless Space Invaders game ever witnessed by man.

And I almost forgot: SNES's Doom.

SNES Wolfenstein is bad.But am going to say a bad port for me is Pac-Man for the 2600.I just did a review in my blog about this game not that long ago.Its not the worst game out there by any means but i was just so let down by it after playing Pac-Man at our local arcades we had.It could of been so much better i feel.

I kinda liked Doom for Snes, but the console's limitations really become appearent in that game.

Which is exactly why it's a bit unfair to call it one of the worst ports. It's actually quite an impressive port considering the limitations of the system. However, I heard the Jaguar is one of the better ports. I haven't played the Jaguar port, from what I read, I would be surprised if it wasn't much better than the SNES version.

Edited by BrianC

I kinda liked Doom for Snes, but the console's limitations really become appearent in that game. Still it's better than the Jaguar or 32X versions, or even 3DO for that matter.

I could see it being better than the 32X and 3DO ports but no way the Jaguar version. It's impressive they got DOOM to run on the SNES but it's border line not playable because of how slow it is.