IGNORED

Worst ports ever.

AtticGamer

That's actually the case in 99% of arcade games for the CoCo. It seems like Tandy had the largest ratio of "knock-off" types than any other maker.

What about Commodore? At least on the VIC-20, I can't think of any licensed game titles other than Gorf, though a fair number of their early carts were arcade knockoffs (Vic Avenger, Radar Rat Race, Cosmic Cruncher, etc.)

True the Vic-20 had a lot of knockoffs but there were real official versions available for the system, for example by Atarisoft. For Tandy's Color Computers they just were not there. That's alright though, I still love my CoCo's. :D

That's actually the case in 99% of arcade games for the CoCo. It seems like Tandy had the largest ratio of "knock-off" types than any other maker.

Too cheap to pay licenses. LOL.

Still, I keep my CoCo just for "A Mazing World Of Malcolm Mortar".

Malcolm Mortar is one of my favorites! That game's a real challenge. :cool:

• 2 months later...

Not all the games were bad ports. Some games for the Coco3 that could be classed as excellent. would be Sinistarr, Those Darn Marbles(Based on the Marble Madness game on the Amiga), Rampage, Rad Warrior, Gold Runner 2000(1 of the best 8 bit Lode runner versions I have played). just to name a few.

But there is 2 games officially licensed by Tandy that are really crap, lousy graphics, over rated to play.

Predator and Robocop for the coco3. Glad I never paid for these 2.

Not all the games were bad ports. Some games for the Coco3 that could be classed as excellent. would be Sinistarr, Those Darn Marbles(Based on the Marble Madness game on the Amiga), Rampage, Rad Warrior, Gold Runner 2000(1 of the best 8 bit Lode runner versions I have played). just to name a few.

But there is 2 games officially licensed by Tandy that are really crap, lousy graphics, over rated to play.

Donkey Kong and Pac-Man for the 2600 were just awful in every way. Honestly, there were very few ports for the 2600 that were very good, as the systems limitations hampered the programmers. Look how bad Defender was compared to the arcade (I HATED the fact that you had to go under the skyline to use the hyper bomb).

Here are some I just thought of:

Rally Bike (NES) - In the arcade game, every time you crashed, you'd lose some fuel and then resume from where you crashed. In the NES version, you were given five chances, and if you crashed, it was back to the beginning for you. And did I mention those levels are rather loooooooooooooong and very difficult??

NARC (NES) - OK, this was just plain awful. I mean tapping the buttons to jump and fire grenades? Why not hold select and press the buttons or something? They should've put this on the SNES instead.

Just about any of Coleco's Atari 2600 efforts - You know if Atari had Quality Control they never would've let that happen.

Double Dragon for the NES. Without all the hype surrounding it, and the false advertising of the Double Dragon name on the box and cart, no one would ever have ever been able to tell this was a port of the arcade game. It bears no similarity to DD Arcade whatsoever. Not to mention its a horrible game on top of it.

Double Dragon for the NES. Without all the hype surrounding it, and the false advertising of the Double Dragon name on the box and cart, no one would ever have ever been able to tell this was a port of the arcade game. It bears no similarity to DD Arcade whatsoever. Not to mention its a horrible game on top of it.

Holy shit, I'm constantly agreeing with Gabriel lately. Wow. Double Dragon without the ability to, you know, play doubles is stupid.

Just about any of Coleco's Atari 2600 efforts - You know if Atari had Quality Control they never would've let that happen.

Atari's quality control had nothing to do with what 3rd parties did -- anybody could release any game they wanted to. There was no licensing, permission, or communication of any kind with Atari required.

Not to mention its a horrible game on top of it.

Horrible? At least it's better than the 2600 and 7800 versions, and even the SMS version to an extent (mainly because of the horrible hit detection).

Now, I won't even get into why I think the 7800 version is much better based on having a two player option (regardless of the graphics, as the co-op mode IS Double Dragon). However, saying the NES version is better than the 2600 version is rather unnecessary. If the NES version weren't better than the version running on a system from the 70s, then the NES version would really be in trouble. Saying "at least it's better than the 2600 version" is no more a defense than saying "hey, at least my phone service is better than using a string and tin cans".

• 2 weeks later...

Toy Story on the Game Boy was a pretty bad port, as Game Boy ports generally are. But the fact that you only got 2 in level music tracks for the entire game, which lasted something like 16 levels, made it downright painful to play. Most of your time playing is spent wishing to hear something other than the 2 music tracks you've heard 10 grillion times already.

I didn't mind Robocop myself, though I could never get into Predator either. Wanted to like it but just couldn't get into it. Same with Super Pitfall.