IGNORED

Worst ports ever.

AtticGamer

For the 2600,I'd say none!the only thing that bothers me about a game,is if the sound is bad,other than that i believe all games have a certain CHARM to them,and are all worth collecting.Squeeze box,2600 pac-man,2600 DK.JR,may all be regarded as bad,by some,but,i actually am a fan of games regarded by others as bad.Actually some of the bad games are highly sought after,because of their scarceness cus they were made by small companies who jumped on the bandwagon,to get a piece of the HUGE 2600 market,and skimped on quality,kinda like the rushed 2600 Pac-Man,rushed to be on time for the upcoming XMAS season cash grab,and the flood of cruddy games put out by the small companies,seem high up on the rarity guides,part of the reason for the crash.

Edited by Rik

I kinda liked Doom for Snes, but the console's limitations really become appearent in that game.

Which is exactly why it's a bit unfair to call it one of the worst ports. It's actually quite an impressive port considering the limitations of the system. However, I heard the Jaguar is one of the better ports. I haven't played the Jaguar port, from what I read, I would be surprised if it wasn't much better than the SNES version.

I'm suprised the game even has all the episodes from the original game. Quite impressive for a 16-Bit system.

@Punisher, I know the Jaguar version has better graphics but from what I've heard it doesn't have any music during the levels, unlike the Snes version.

Let me add to the list of people who can't stand the 2600 version of Donkey Kong Jr.

Also, the Amiga version of Pac-Land is pretty awful.

As for console-to-console....the Intellivision version of Pitfall!. Not that the game itself is bad or anything, mind you, but the Intellivision version is nothing more than an exact duplicate of the Atari 2600 version. You'd think that with the Intellivision's (supposed) superior abilities they'd do something better for it, at least graphically, but man, what a disappointment. :(

Edited by Dauber

Let me add to the list of people who can't stand the 2600 version of Donkey Kong Jr.

Also, the Amiga version of Pac-Land is pretty awful.

As for console-to-console....the Intellivision version of Pitfall!. Not that the game itself is bad or anything, mind you, but the Intellivision version is nothing more than an exact duplicate of the Atari 2600 version. You'd think that with the Intellivision's (supposed) superior abilities they'd do something better for it, at least graphically, but man, what a disappointment. :(

Yeah,really,i felt ripped off after buying the INTV version of PITFALL ,expecting it to have better graphics and sound,yes,a disappointment.

Well I'll pick an obvious one and say Defender for the 2600, what with it's "fire and disappear" crapiness!

Donkey Kong for Zx Spectrum, so many barrels it's impossible to pass the first level.

Huh????? This is in total contrast to other ports where the barrels are few and far between :lol:

Mortal Kombat for the GB

Pac Man for the 2600 - When a game is so bad that it is credited with helping to cause the '83 crash, you know it's bad.

Defender for the 2600

Whoever said VF2 for the Saturn, BTW, is smoking crack. It was in 3D, and even ran in hi-res mode! That game was awesome, and was actually game of the year from a number of different magazines. Now, VF2 for the Genesis is a different story...that game was pure crap.

My vote for worst port:

Donkey Kong for the 2600. When a game is so bad that a company gets accused of PURPOSELY making a bad game, you know that it's awful.

Oh...just thought of another one....Ms. Pac-Man, which I got via Verizon Wireless for my RAZR. The graphics are great, the sound is respectable, but the game play....wow, impossibly awful! In the past six months I've had it, I've yet to once eat all four monsters on one power pill, even in "easy" mode, and if I ever get to the apple maze, I barely crack 20000.

Burgertime on the 2600 -- let's see....a rectangular egg, a breadstick....yeah, great arcade-to-home conversion, not to mention that it's SO EFFING SLOW!!!

Donkey Kong Jr. on the 2600 -- I wondered if an arcade conversion could be worse than Donkey Kong on the 2600; well, I only found out this summer when I bought a batch of carts that included DKJr. Yuk.

ESWAT on the Amstrad CPC was the worst port EVER!

I wrote a review on this for a CPC website and these are a few of my comments:

Graphics: What can I say? Is it MODE 1? Is it MODE 0? Is it MODE 1 and 0 combined? What are the colours the programmers used? What do the characters look like? How on Earth could US Gold let these graphics out into the world of 1991 CPC? Even my five year old daughter (she's 8 now) could do better with the Advance Art Studio! I could hardly see anything.

Comments: The programmers get a point for trying their best (and succeeding) in giving us one of the WORST games EVER for the CPC. Why did US Gold let this trash get released? They should have given the job to someone else who could have done better.

Other lousy ports onto the CPC include Quartet, Final Fight, PitFighter (that has to tie with ESWAT for worst port ever), Stun Runner, Hydra, Skull & Crossbones, Strider 2 and Thunderblade.

Edited by zeropolis79

I kinda liked Doom for Snes, but the console's limitations really become appearent in that game. Still it's better than the Jaguar or 32X versions, or even 3DO for that matter.

Doom for SNES was inferior to the 32X and Jag versions, the Jag Version was the best Cartridge based port of Doom, alot of people seem to think the Jag version was bad MAINLY because it lacked music.. the Music isn't really important, the fact it had full screen, floor and ceiling textures and a couple Jag only maps makes it an exceptional port, to say the least, the 3DO port of Doom is the worst port of Doom hands down, this was a CD based port and it still had borders, extreme slowdown and quite a few other things.

Mortal Kombat for the GB

Pac Man for the 2600 - When a game is so bad that it is credited with helping to cause the '83 crash, you know it's bad.

Defender for the 2600

Whoever said VF2 for the Saturn, BTW, is smoking crack. It was in 3D, and even ran in hi-res mode! That game was awesome, and was actually game of the year from a number of different magazines. Now, VF2 for the Genesis is a different story...that game was pure crap.

My vote for worst port:

Donkey Kong for the 2600. When a game is so bad that a company gets accused of PURPOSELY making a bad game, you know that it's awful.

the only thing the GB MK had going for it was you could play as Goro, but thats about it.

the only thing the GB MK had going for it was you could play as Goro, but thats about it.

Even that sucked. Goro had a very limited move set and wasn't all that much fun to play as.

House of the Dead 2 for Dreamcast, the voice acting was terrible and the graphics were fugly

The voice acting is supposed to be terrible like a B horror movie. Graphics look the same as the arcade, which were very good considering the time the game came out. As for the gameplay, I highly recommend getting a Madcatz Dream Blaster to play it since the game was meant to be played with a light gun. Anyway, you can't really call it a bad port since it's pretty much identical to the arcade original.

Yeah,really,i felt ripped off after buying the INTV version of PITFALL ,expecting it to have better graphics and sound,yes,a disappointment.

The Intellivision could probably handle a version of Pitfall with better graphics and sound, but at least Activision didn't botch the port since they kept it close to the 2600 one. It's still the same great game that's on the 2600 and even other versions of the game stayed close to the 2600 original. You know the old saying, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Edited by BrianC

I kinda liked Doom for Snes, but the console's limitations really become appearent in that game. Still it's better than the Jaguar or 32X versions, or even 3DO for that matter.

Doom for SNES was inferior to the 32X and Jag versions, the Jag Version was the best Cartridge based port of Doom, alot of people seem to think the Jag version was bad MAINLY because it lacked music.. the Music isn't really important, the fact it had full screen, floor and ceiling textures and a couple Jag only maps makes it an exceptional port, to say the least, the 3DO port of Doom is the worst port of Doom hands down, this was a CD based port and it still had borders, extreme slowdown and quite a few other things.

Isn't the GBA version the best cartridge port?

House of the Dead 2 for Dreamcast, the voice acting was terrible and the graphics were fugly

The voice acting is supposed to be terrible like a B horror movie. Graphics look the same as the arcade, which were very good considering the time the game came out. As for the gameplay, I highly recommend getting a Madcatz Dream Blaster to play it since the game was meant to be played with a light gun. Anyway, you can't really call it a bad port since it's pretty much identical to the arcade original.

I was referring to the women victims who would yell "Don't come!" as Zombies were coming after them. lol

I was referring to the women victims who would yell "Don't come!" as Zombies were coming after them. lol

lol? You didn't mention a specific area and my point still stands. Yes, the voice acting is terrible, but it's terrible to mimic the cheesiness of bad horror films. "Don't come!" is actually a fine example of that cheesiness. The arcade version even has the same voice. House of the Dead 2 for the Dreamcast has no business in a worst ports ever topic.

Edited by BrianC

Winter Games (NES): Another "gem" from Pony Canyon and Micronics, the dimwits who brought you Raiden Densetsu on the Super NES. It's stiff, it lacks events... it's an all-around worse game than the 2600 version. Let that sink in for a while, then laugh at just how pathetic it is.

JR

Winter Games (NES): Another "gem" from Pony Canyon and Micronics, the dimwits who brought you Raiden Densetsu on the Super NES. It's stiff, it lacks events... it's an all-around worse game than the 2600 version. Let that sink in for a while, then laugh at just how pathetic it is.

JR

I feel the 2600 one is well done, but I agree, Winter Games NES sucks. The same company also did a terrible port of Ballblazer and a poorly done GB version of Penguin Land where you actually have to scroll the game to the side to see everything. The Winter Games port is especially disappointing considering the well done Rare ports of World Games and California Games.