IGNORED

Future of nintendo systems

Hardly anyone talks about what the next generation of game systems will be like. Here's how I see the future of Nintendo's. I suspect theat the next generation Wii will be up to speed with the technology of the generation, but will still innovate. Now for the cool part. I think the next generation Wii will be the first game console to use Nanotechnology, which will be in the form of a controller made out of nanobots. These can transform into any type of controller the developers want, and will open up incredible gaming possibilities. The future of the DS will just be a refinement of the original technology, with two touch screens and the ability to touch multiple quadrants on the screen at a time. The system after that will utilize holodeck like technology, enabling you to reach into the screen an interact with the game further.

Cool Ideas, huh? I wonder how Nintendo would react to this if they saw it.

Cool Ideas, huh? I wonder how Nintendo would react to this if they saw it.

They would probably laugh like I'm doing now. :D

Okay, so maybe I'm a little bit too far ahead of my time. :D I just thought they would be so awesome. At least the first idea, anyway. :| I thought the third idea seemed rather outlandish, myself. :ponder:

Heck, I don't even think it would ever work.

Edited by Segataritensoftii

Nanotechnology???? what are we in, the Ghost in the Shell universe??? seriously... I really hope your not in product design or marketing dude. this is pretty awefull. How old are you? 6-7 years is NOT a long time. You remind me when i was in high school and i thought 4 years was forever. technology doesnt change that much over such a short period of time. also kid, the stuff in the wii controller is not new... its old technology. its just how the implemented it that is new.

wow this was good for a laugh.. i feel better about going into my portfolio review now as im not nervous anymore haha.

The had a decent write up on future gaming in EGM recently.

One of the headlines is "Paper thin screens and holograph graphics won't be science fiction for much longer" - John Brandon another quote "Holographics will happenand without 3D glasses - Factor 5 President Julian Eggebrecht.

There was also some good stuff on the future of online gaming.

Laugh all you want.... Some of what is saying might not seem so silly 6 or 7 years from now.

I have the exact opposite stance as AtariJr, I look around me at work and I am amazed how much things have changed in that short amount of time. Seems like you have to hit the books every 2 years in an attempt to deal with what's being implemented next.

Segataritensoftii, maybe you are a little bit too far ahead of your time...but believe me...not much.

Nintendo will go the way of Sega and just be a software publisher next generation. They will however remain in the handheld market because for some reason. The next gen handheld will have 4 screens that rotate in 90 degree angles, 2 of which will be touch screens, it will be motion activated with sound sensing technology...sadly like the current DS, the graphical capability will be limited to just above GBA standards.

Edited by Atari5200

Nintendo will go the way of Sega and just be a software publisher next generation.

That didn't make sense last generation, and it certainly isn't making any kind of sense right now. See if I were consistently turning a profit measured in hundreds of millions to billions of dollars, I'd certainly give up doing what I was doing and try to produce the next "Shadow the Hedgehog".

I suppose you think Pepsi should start just bottling cola for Coke becuase they aren't Coke right? That would especially make sense if they suddenly started outselling Coke.

Edited by Atarifever

Seriously, how about a light and affordable headset system? Wouldn't that be the logical next step? Video gaming really needs to get rid of this dependence on TV monitors, especially now that gaming revolves mostly around 3D immersion. The technology already exists, some company just needs to make it cheap mass-market technology. Nintendo tried it with the Virtual Boy, but the technology just wasn't developed enough, and has evolved tremendously since then.

In fact, a headset with a Wii remote and nunchuck could be all that's needed... Metroid Prime via a true visor view, wouldn't that be a dream come true...? :D

But to make something like that...you have to use small LCD or perhaps by them OLED display units. Problem with that...is they don't have the resolution ability at that small a scale for all the detail they want to add as an HDTV does today. They could do DS 3-D graphics easy enough..but at that close a range to your eyes...it would look really nasty and pixellated to all hell. Plus the colors and sounds wouldn't be as good. I don't know...it would have to be cheap to make, very lightweight so that even little kids could wear it easily, and look just as good on the inside as today's current gen looks on an HDTV. While I'm sure this is all possible in the future, it isn't feasible today.

Seriously, how about a light and affordable headset system? Wouldn't that be the logical next step?

Anything that you have to wear has been a spectacular failure as far as video games go, i wouldn't expect the industry to move in that direction again. Nintendo is wacky though, i guess you never know. We could end up with some sort of eyeglasses capable of displaying dual N64 quality displays for a total feeling of blurry low-res immersion. They'll price 'em at $50 and outsell the Xbox 720 by a mile. Grandmas and housewives will get "Play It Loud" tattoos, and Shigeru Miyamoto's face will be added to Mount Rushmore, replacing Roosevelt. :)

Edited by Scumdogg

Actually, not everything worn was a total flop. 3Dfx tinkered with 3D glasses for a while. While the glasses weren't that popular, 3Dfx, in death, still has a cult like following. They were quite successful for a while, too.

The PlayStation 4 could launch tomorrow and totally decimate the Wii's sales, and that would make little difference whether Nintendo stays around or not. They've got the portable market locked completely up. Not that I think the Wii is going to die out any time soon, though.

I see the next Nintendo as perhaps something portable with a Wiimote style control built into the unit, and having a wireless connection that can be used to display the games on a television set when you're not on the go.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again...Galvanic Vestibular stimulation.

Basically it's force-feedback for your brain via your inner ear/balance system.

Problem is that it sends electrical signals directly into your brain via the ear. Well, actually it sends signals into the ear which are then relayed to the brain. Would likely prove too frightening a prospect for many.

Also, could induce nausea like the Virtual Boy. Still, I think that will be the next big user-interface change that comes to video games.

Actually in the portable market...you're probably right in that Nintendo would make a combo DS with integrated sensing control mechanisms inside the unit itself. kinda like a Kirby Tilt and Tumble, or Wario Ware twisted concept but built into the unit and go from there.

Actually, not everything worn was a total flop. 3Dfx tinkered with 3D glasses for a while. While the glasses weren't that popular, 3Dfx, in death, still has a cult like following. They were quite successful for a while, too.

Those statements all describe the Power Glove as well, and i still wouldn't call that a successful experiment. :)

Actually, not everything worn was a total flop. 3Dfx tinkered with 3D glasses for a while. While the glasses weren't that popular, 3Dfx, in death, still has a cult like following.

NVidia and many other manufacturers experimented with those glasses as well. They're called "shutter-glasses" and work by allowing only one eye to see the current frame. In theory, stereoscopic vision can be achieved by multiplexing the screen to show 30 frames to one eye, and 30 frames to the other eye.

The reality is a bit less spectacular, however. I have a pair, and the only stereoscopic effect they achieved was the great 3D look as they went flying into the closet. :P

Shutter-glasses can work, but they have to be so carefully calibrated to each user and monitor setup that they just aren't practical. I think you'd see cheap VR helmets using modern, inexpensive LCDs long before you saw the resurgence of shutter-glasses.

Nintendo will go the way of Sega and just be a software publisher next generation.

That didn't make sense last generation, and it certainly isn't making any kind of sense right now. See if I were consistently turning a profit measured in hundreds of millions to billions of dollars, I'd certainly give up doing what I was doing and try to produce the next "Shadow the Hedgehog".

I suppose you think Pepsi should start just bottling cola for Coke becuase they aren't Coke right? That would especially make sense if they suddenly started outselling Coke.

do you know how much profit they are making per console? I would bet you that it isn't as much as you think. Software is where you find the big bucks, and nintendo software sells like hot cakes, as long as there are 12 year old kids and younger and the parents to buy it, they will make billions. As soon as the fad wears off and the PS3 starts to gain momentum, you are going to see the Wii slowly, VERY SLOWLY, but it will happen..fade the way of the Gamecube. The system will be saturated with movie knock of games, cartoon, games, bratz games, while the PS3 and the 360 will have more variety for all gamers, plus the support of T-M crowd over the E crowd. I think once people see the kinds of games and visuals the PS3 and also the 360 are able to produce, the Wii will not stand a chance. Wait 2 years and then i'll reply to this post to see if i'm right. It's already happening. Look at Nintendo's products and compare them to Microsoft and Sony, its fricking hilarious the amount of cartoony and movie knock off and everything compared to the other companies, the systems are totally saturated with this type of crap, but there's such a huge demographic for them much larger than mature games, so whatever works Nintendo.

I for one think it's a shame, especially the DS, the DS has so much untapped potential. I'm a huge PSP fanboy and i do own both systems, but my DS is just a fancy paperweight waiting for a game like Phantasy Star online to come to it, the DS could be much more than a fancy GBA, look at some of the games, they don't look much better than what a GBA can already do, shame.

Edited by Atari5200

yea really.. im sorry but what are you in the n64 generation? Nintendo is the new Pepsi times 10 right now. Hell, if anyones becoming a software developer form poor sales its sony. You know when your next gen system is beat out in sales by your ps2 and even the damn game boy advance you're hurting. its funny how people keep the same old stereotypes over the years despite changing times.

oh yea .. btw.. Nintendo makes a profit on all those hundreds of thousands of Wii's it sells per week, as opposed to the billions lost by M$ and Sony on thier next gen systems. soooo why stop selling systems? if anything it makes the deal sweeter for them as they make money in hardware in software. as far as you not liking your ds, thast very sad.. buy more software, theres a lot of good games out there for it. But in the end, your opinoins of the system isnt going to make them go away.. just cuase you dont like it doesnt make the charts invalid. as long as Nintendo sells this well, they are perfectly fine, get with the times.

if nintendo doesnt make a console next gen ill cut off my left testicle..there.

Edited by AtariJr

As soon as the fad wears off and the PS3 starts to gain momentum, you are going to see the Wii slowly, VERY SLOWLY, but it will happen..fade the way of the Gamecube. The system will be saturated with movie knock of games, cartoon, games, bratz games, while the PS3 and the 360 will have more variety for all gamers, plus the support of T-M crowd over the E crowd. I think once people see the kinds of games and visuals the PS3 and also the 360 are able to produce, the Wii will not stand a chance. Wait 2 years and then i'll reply to this post to see if i'm right. It's already happening. Look at Nintendo's products and compare them to Microsoft and Sony, its fricking hilarious the amount of cartoony and movie knock off and everything compared to the other companies, the systems are totally saturated with this type of crap, but there's such a huge demographic for them much larger than mature games, so whatever works Nintendo.

The "variety" of the PS3 and 360 consoles seems to be a lot of FPS games variations. If you categorize Nintendo as limited to "kiddie" or movie licensed games, you have to categorize the PS3/360 as a constant churn of WWII/space/future earth FPS games, with some GTA knock-offs thrown in for variety.

To each his own. All I know is my family has never been this involved with a game console than with the Wii. It has been a blast playing as a family. Not too many complaints about the graphics yet.

do you know how much profit they are making per console? I would bet you that it isn't as much as you think. Software is where you find the big bucks, and nintendo software sells like hot cakes, as long as there are 12 year old kids and younger and the parents to buy it, they will make billions. As soon as the fad wears off and the PS3 starts to gain momentum, you are going to see the Wii slowly, VERY SLOWLY, but it will happen..fade the way of the Gamecube. The system will be saturated with movie knock of games, cartoon, games, bratz games, while the PS3 and the 360 will have more variety for all gamers, plus the support of T-M crowd over the E crowd. I think once people see the kinds of games and visuals the PS3 and also the 360 are able to produce, the Wii will not stand a chance. Wait 2 years and then i'll reply to this post to see if i'm right. It's already happening. Look at Nintendo's products and compare them to Microsoft and Sony, its fricking hilarious the amount of cartoony and movie knock off and everything compared to the other companies, the systems are totally saturated with this type of crap, but there's such a huge demographic for them much larger than mature games, so whatever works Nintendo.

I for one think it's a shame, especially the DS, the DS has so much untapped potential. I'm a huge PSP fanboy and i do own both systems, but my DS is just a fancy paperweight waiting for a game like Phantasy Star online to come to it, the DS could be much more than a fancy GBA, look at some of the games, they don't look much better than what a GBA can already do, shame.

Why do you think Microsot and Sony make systems 5200? I mean they lose money on their hardware for much of each generation, so why not just skip right to software? Oh yeah, because you get to make money from other people making softare for your system. Oh, and you get to make money off of perephrials and accesories. Oh, and your biggest first party games get to be sold on your system with all the money going back to you and not to anyone else. Then add on for Nintendo that they sell the hardware itself at a profit too. So no, they don't stand to make "the big bucks" by dropping hardware production, they would stand to lose a very significant chunk of change.

As far as having to wait 2 years before seeing what way the generation is going, well, you'll excuse me if I think the Wii winning for two years would be much more than enough to keep them makin hardware no matter what happens after that. If I have to wait two years for their sales to get "poor", I'm pretty certain the Wii will do better than the Gamecube. Seeing as how they made a lot of profit last generation on the Gamecube, I doubt they'd be any more inclined to drop out of the hardware business this time around. And on that note I'll tackle the part o your post I find the most problematic.

For some reason you lump together the 360 and PS3, when in fact the two are quite different. Do I believe the 360 will have a very good generation? Yes. Do I think in 4 years time average people might start judging the Wii poorly compared to the 360? It's a distinct possability. Do I think anyone at all will care about the PS3 at that time? No. No more than average people looked down on the Genesis because of the Neo Geo. Sure the one had better graphics, but then, no one had it, so no one much cared. You can try to convince yourself all you want that the PS3 will gain momentum, but then, you could also try to convince yourself that the moon is made of cheese.

If your DS is a fancy paper weight, that's fine and good, but apparently most people aren't using them to help with desk organization. As for the graphics looking barely better than GBA, well, apparently that hasn't been much of a deciding factor for most people. That's probably why we disagree. You're not most people. You're a Sony fanboy.

Edited by Atarifever

The future of Nintendo systems?

I will be curious to see if they keep the motion controls, or move back to a more traditional setup and maybe limited motion controls. After playing with the Wii for a couple months, I am not conviced that motion controls should be used on all games.

Wii Sports is an obvious example of successful motion controls. I hope they make a proper version of Wii Sports, at times it feels more like a demo than a full blown game. Still, it is easily the most played Wii game I own so far. (I only own 5 Wii games) Other games seem to suffer from the motion controls. Sonic and the Secret Rings would be far more playable with a traditional setup, I would kill to be able to use the classic controller for this game. I just have not seen the "killer app" for motion controls yet. I think Wii Sports is close, but it just doesnt feel finished. Maybe thier next system will have the wand + classic controller combo instead of wand + numchuck, letting developers choose if they want to include motion controls or not.

The future of Nintendo...

I don't think they're going away any time soon, either. The gap between the GC and the Wii was filled with several things, lotsa GBA games (they're still being made now even with the DS here), the DS's, the GBA SP, and lots of games for the different systems.

I missed my chance at getting a Wii (for now) but I see a Star Wars lightsaber game taking advantage of the motion control features. When it gets made, who knows, LucasArts is a strange beast. They seem to pick their contracts carefully. I wrote my letter to them already.

And as far as the Wii being dashed away, factory upgrades would be a great thing for Nin to do so that didn't happen. That hasn't happened with past consoles but the way they're put together has changed, too. Judging from the price gap from last gen consoles to today's consoles (PS2 was around $200 when it came out, not the PS3 is LOTS more, like $600), I'd say that construction has changed. Looked briefly at how the Wii is put together and saw that it can be expanded. Not easily, but maybe by a Nin themselves.

And who wouldn't want to have an "expanded" Wii for less with the same features, rather than buy a whole new machine for lots more?

I'm a dreamer anyways, but I'm also IT and in two years things will indeed look pretty different at the present rate.

Nathan