IGNORED

Future of nintendo systems

Is the Wii piss poor? No. But it could have been alot better. And overall, i think when more people start experiencing the true Next Gen feel, with the graphics, sounds, and stuff, the Wii is going to lose it's fizzle. Did anybody see the X-play summer preview?? Did you see the game "the Darkness"? holy balls that game looks frickin amazing, won't see that on the under powered Wii.

See here's a problem i see with people claiming there's something wrong with any of the systems. There's nothing wrong with the grahical abilities of the Wii. I bought one, and I don't care. My friends have them, and they don't care (even the ones who are also Xbox fans). My sister wants one, and she hasn't gotten a system since the NES. The fact is, to the people it is directed at, it doesn't matter.

Meanwhile, to someone like you who wants great graphics, robust online, and more processing power the systemactully does look really shitty. But then, that's why you aren't the target. That's something I think people may have to get used to this generation. The Wii is not in a competition with the PS3 and 360. It doesn't need better graphics, online, sound, etc because the people who want that can go get a PS3 or 360. Saying it could have used those things is saying that Nintendo shoul have given up on a market they have a good chance in in favour of one where they didn' stand a chance. It's like saying that ipods could have better palm piolet functionality or that your car should have a bigger truck bed.

The "true next gen feel" for people like my fiancee or sister, and to some extent me, is the Wii, and the other systems' better graphics etc doesn't matter. On the same note, if the Wii were a graphical monster this generation and you crave a steady stream of third party support, good online, and familar (i.e. highly refined) analog controls, all the graphic cards in the world wouldn't make the Wii as good a selection as the 360. Saying the 360 should have dropped it's price by removing a bunch of hardware an used a wiimote setup would seem silly to you, wouldn't it? That's because you're in the market Microsoft is aiming for, and thus, you don't want it to be changed.

Finaly, if you didn't have a furnace of fireplace and wanted to burn some money, you'd want a PS3. The Wii and 360 wouldn't suit you at all. Sorry, I kid the Sony fans. *playfully punches collective Sony fans' arms*

I agree with almost everything you've said here, the one thing i don't agree with is that a controller does not make a system next generation. If anything, I think the PS3 got it right with the motion controller. It's there if you want it but it doesn't FORCE you to use it. I didn't care for the Wii-mote, and probably would rethink the purchase of a Wii if I could play the games with a standard controller, face it, there are going to be some first party games or Wii exclusives that I would like to play, I think that's where Nintendo made their biggest mistake in not giving options for controller, but I know, the controller is the point of the Wii, but now the Wii-mote is the standard, Nintendo can't go back to a standard controller from here or it would be labeled a failure. There totally committed to the Wii-mote and I have a feeling 2 or 3 years down the road, that commitment is going to do them in, at least for a home console, for some reason, Nintendo can continue to make underpowered handhelds and dominate the market, i still can't figure that one out.

Edited by Atari5200

I think that's where Nintendo made their biggest mistake in not giving options for controller, but I know, the controller is the point of the Wii, but now the Wii-mote is the standard, Nintendo can't go back to a standard controller from here or it would be labeled a failure. There totally committed to the Wii-mote and I have a feeling 2 or 3 years down the road, that commitment is going to do them in, at least for a home console, for some reason, Nintendo can continue to make underpowered handhelds and dominate the market, i still can't figure that one out.

This is what i've been saying. It's sort of fun *now*, but i'm not quite sure that i never want to play another Zelda or Mario game with proper controls. Although, i did just read an interview in....Entertainment Weekly, i think, with Shigeru Miyamoto. He said he was pretty sure nobody wanted to play a "long RPG like Zelda" anymore (I guess this explains the 90% attach rate the game had. Brilliant!). So hey, maybe they'll just kill off their "real game" franchises and just have Link be selectable in Wii Sports 4 as a consolation prize. :)

see that's what I don't understand about Nintendo, they shoot their mouths off and nothing bad happens. Nobody want's to play a long Zelda game?? Yeah tell that to all the Oblivion Fans, or the fans of any RPG that takes longer than 30 hours to beat. They are also the ones that said nobody wanted online stuff, yeah the Cube did real good with no online huh? And they also blabbed about not needing 3rd party support. Amazing, had someone from Sony said anything like that and they would've been hung.

Edited by Atari5200

I think the nunchuck controller is a pretty decent replacement for a traditional controller.

Besides then also allowing "point at a place on the screen", which is equivalent in most ways to the DS touch screen. (except you need an onscreen cusror because the calibration/mapping isn't 100%)

5200, your .sig is the dumbest thing I've read today. Radio Stations had been having that kind of contest for years:

http://www.howardstern.com/rundown.hs?d=1091160000

Why aren't you trying to boycot Howard Stern?

i don't and have not listened to Stern so I'm not too familiar with what he does other than the occasional news story, he's on satellite, somthing I probably will never have in my vehicle.

But yes, if he ran a contest for a product that the name of said product could be made into something that could kill someone, i would probably not buy that product either. And regardless of how stupid you think it is, you cannot honestly tell me that had Nintendo named their machine something other than Wii, that these kids mother would still be alive, what if it had happened to you?

But as far as I'm aware, nobody had died by "playing for a playstation" or "boxing for an xbox" or "walking for a walkman" etc etc. And nothing will ever change my mind regarding the name Wii, completely and totally retarded name for anything.

Edited by Atari5200

I have been so quiet on this up until now. Seriously....Atari5200...in all respect.

The door is over here and I think it is time you leave this thread discussion. You haven't contributed to the original topic that I can see other than to state your opinion about what Nintendo is doing wrong and in the process upset yourself and forums members over it. We know your stance with the Wii and it is noted.

The thread is about the ole "What if" senario regarding future nintendo systems.

With that, I agree in that I feel that Nintendo's next console will focus on the graphics again. They released the Wii as a test product in my eyes. They were testing the waters with the new controller scheme that they have put in place. Since it seems their test is successful. I've little doubt that a more powerful version of the Wii is in the works as we speak.

I have been so quiet on this up until now. Seriously....Atari5200...in all respect.

The door is over here and I think it is time you leave this thread discussion. You haven't contributed to the original topic that I can see other than to state your opinion about what Nintendo is doing wrong and in the process upset yourself and forums members over it. We know your stance with the Wii and it is noted.

BRAVO Crossbow!!! :D

I would just add "don't let the door hit you in your ass on the way out".

The thread is about the ole "What if" senario regarding future nintendo systems.

With that, I agree in that I feel that Nintendo's next console will focus on the graphics again. They released the Wii as a test product in my eyes. They were testing the waters with the new controller scheme that they have put in place. Since it seems their test is successful. I've little doubt that a more powerful version of the Wii is in the works as we speak.

I agree that the next Nintendo console will output in HD. Because by the time the next system comes out, HDTV's will be in most people's homes. But I don't think the Wii is the "test console". I think the DS was. Seeing how consumers and developers react to different control schemes.

Although I don't have a Wii and don't plan on buying one unless my kids want it, I admire Nintendo wanting to do something different. But IMO, they had to something different. The sales decline from SNES to N64 to Gamecube wasn't a good sign. If that trend continued this gen, then Nintendo probably would end up a hand-held only company.

MCHufnagel,

If you really want to be technical. The test systems for the now used Wii-remote and nunchuk motion sensing was the earlier GB and GBA games. Yeap...stuff like Kirby Tilt and Tumble, and especially Wario Ware Twisted. The DS I think was initially supposed to become more of a mainstream PDA like device that Nintendo was going to include playing games on. Instead the DS turned out to be wanted more for the games (Due to the touch screen tech used) than the PDA functions ever came to be. This is why the first year of the DS games were so...ugh...

Teh Wii is the combined success of those products put into a home console with the specific purpose of playing games on. That is where the test came in. Think about it...why do Wii games look like Cube games. Easy...both have the same exact specced GPU with on the Wii being clocked higher and having a little more memory to play with. In addition, does Nintendo have official Wii developement units out now...that AREN'T modified Cubes with motion sensor pickups added to them? What it boils down to...is that Nintendo needed a cheap easy way to put something out to really really see just how successful their new idea could become. And now that they pretty much have their answer, they are likely working on the real replacement console to be released during the nex gen.

If you really want to be technical. The test systems for the now used Wii-remote and nunchuk motion sensing was the earlier GB and GBA games. Yeap...stuff like Kirby Tilt and Tumble, and especially Wario Ware Twisted.

Actually, those were the development systems. They proved the technology was ready for prime time, but were a bit of a failure in the market. The DS really was the market test to see if a unified system with radically different controls would be accepted. Just to be sure, you'll note that Nintendo intentionally failed to connect the DS back to the Game Boy line of products. Similarly, Nintendo relied on the existence of the Classic Controller to bail out the Wii should the experiment fail in the market.

But yes, if he ran a contest for a product that the name of said product could be made into something that could kill someone, i would probably not buy that product either.

Come on man, that is stupid in every single posible way. Hey, I've got an idea. I want a 5200. I'm going to hold my breath under water for 5200 seconds to raise money for one. No wait, I'll stab myself 5200 times to raise money for it. No wait, Ill drop 5200 pianos on my head. After I fnish that I'll strap on a bunch of fireworks and see if can launch myself to Saturn to get a Saturn. Then after that I'll go into a self induced diabetic coma and sleep until I raise enough money for a dreamcast. Also, I'll live in a box and not get out of it for 360 days, that'll be bound to get me an Xbox 360. Maybe I'll sail around in a single masted old wooden boat and sword fight to get an Odyssey.

You know what, if I were retarded enough to do any of those things, not only would it be 100% my fault, but the world would be (and this will sound harsh) no worse off without me.

Edited by Atarifever

Is the Wii piss poor? No. But it could have been alot better. And overall, i think when more people start experiencing the true Next Gen feel, with the graphics, sounds, and stuff, the Wii is going to lose it's fizzle. Did anybody see the X-play summer preview?? Did you see the game "the Darkness"? holy balls that game looks frickin amazing, won't see that on the under powered Wii.

See here's a problem i see with people claiming there's something wrong with any of the systems. There's nothing wrong with the grahical abilities of the Wii. I bought one, and I don't care. My friends have them, and they don't care (even the ones who are also Xbox fans). My sister wants one, and she hasn't gotten a system since the NES. The fact is, to the people it is directed at, it doesn't matter.

Meanwhile, to someone like you who wants great graphics, robust online, and more processing power the systemactully does look really shitty. But then, that's why you aren't the target. That's something I think people may have to get used to this generation. The Wii is not in a competition with the PS3 and 360. It doesn't need better graphics, online, sound, etc because the people who want that can go get a PS3 or 360. Saying it could have used those things is saying that Nintendo shoul have given up on a market they have a good chance in in favour of one where they didn' stand a chance. It's like saying that ipods could have better palm piolet functionality or that your car should have a bigger truck bed.

The "true next gen feel" for people like my fiancee or sister, and to some extent me, is the Wii, and the other systems' better graphics etc doesn't matter. On the same note, if the Wii were a graphical monster this generation and you crave a steady stream of third party support, good online, and familar (i.e. highly refined) analog controls, all the graphic cards in the world wouldn't make the Wii as good a selection as the 360. Saying the 360 should have dropped it's price by removing a bunch of hardware an used a wiimote setup would seem silly to you, wouldn't it? That's because you're in the market Microsoft is aiming for, and thus, you don't want it to be changed.

Finaly, if you didn't have a furnace of fireplace and wanted to burn some money, you'd want a PS3. The Wii and 360 wouldn't suit you at all. Sorry, I kid the Sony fans. *playfully punches collective Sony fans' arms*

I agree with almost everything you've said here, the one thing i don't agree with is that a controller does not make a system next generation. If anything, I think the PS3 got it right with the motion controller. It's there if you want it but it doesn't FORCE you to use it.

Well, i never cease to wonder about how wrong people who never seemed to use it get the Wiimote..

In combination with the Nunchuck you have a "almost" normal controller, even if you choose to refrain from using the motion sensor. You have an analogue stick with four buttons that you can immediately press without giving the whole thing any thought about. You can access four more buttons with a slight move of your thumb. So thats around 8 buttons combined with an analogue stick. So that covers you basic controlling needs anyway, and if you need to shoot anything (where you would usually need the second analogie stick to do that), you point at the screen, which is a lot more pleasing that aiming with a stick in my book, and in everyone elses who i consider sane.

So, even without any "wiggling" of the wiimote, you still have a controller, thats lots more fun to use. You dont need to cramp your hands around a small controller, but you can sit in front your tv like holding a remote in one hand (the wiimote), and a

can of beer in the other (that would be the nunchuck). Now tell that isnt more natural than the a little bit cramped position with the oldschool controller types.

So, the Wiimote doesnt FORCE anything...Actually i played through almost the whole Zelda without using the motion sensors, i simply pressed the A button for attacking..

So, even without any "wiggling" of the wiimote, you still have a controller, thats lots more fun to use. You dont need to cramp your hands around a small controller, but you can sit in front your tv like holding a remote in one hand (the wiimote), and a

can of beer in the other (that would be the nunchuck). Now tell that isnt more natural than the a little bit cramped position with the oldschool controller types.

So, the Wiimote doesnt FORCE anything...Actually i played through almost the whole Zelda without using the motion sensors, i simply pressed the A button for attacking..

What's keeping an accessory maker or a homebrewer from making a kind of cradle to set the two controllers together, to make a "static" pad lookalike with motion sense capabilities? Seems to defeat the purpose, but then I remember the Game Brain.

I like the Wii controller, feels pretty good (at least in the demos at the stores).

Nathan

What's keeping an accessory maker or a homebrewer from making a kind of cradle to set the two controllers together, to make a "static" pad lookalike with motion sense capabilities? Seems to defeat the purpose, but then I remember the Game Brain.

Funny you should mention that. If you've ever had the chance to handle the Classic Controller, you may note that there is a clip on the back with a release button on top. This clip was originally intended for a WiiMote cradle, so that the Classic Controller could have motion-sensing capabilities similar to the PS3's design. The idea was eventually scrapped late in development as clunky and unnecessary.

Not that this has stopped homebrewers from developing their own clips. ;)

Well, i never cease to wonder about how wrong people who never seemed to use it get the Wiimote..

In combination with the Nunchuck you have a "almost" normal controller, even if you choose to refrain from using the motion sensor. You have an analogue stick with four buttons that you can immediately press without giving the whole thing any thought about. You can access four more buttons with a slight move of your thumb. So thats around 8 buttons combined with an analogue stick. So that covers you basic controlling needs anyway, and if you need to shoot anything (where you would usually need the second analogie stick to do that), you point at the screen, which is a lot more pleasing that aiming with a stick in my book, and in everyone elses who i consider sane.

I personally would like the OPTION to use the classic controller for many games. Motorstorm for the PS3 has the option to use the tilt function of the Sixaxis or use the left analog stick to steer your vehicle. I tried the motion sensor on that particular game and after a while switched to the traditional analog stick. Zelda for the Wii/Gamecube shows that a good game is a good game regardless of the control type, I think that some Wii games would be better with a traditional setup. Sonic would play way better with traditional controls in my opinion.

Some games paly better with motion controls, others with traditional controls. Trying to force one control scheme on all games seems silly. Let the developers decide how they want thier games to be controlled.

um.. if you dont like wii controls why did you get a wii then? the reason why motorstorm has both is because the motion control is a half thought out idea because they didnt dive into it fully like the Wii did. therefore both options are just as accessable in thier minds. if you make a game that needs the wii controller, becuase shock, you designed it for the wii, it shoudlnt NEED a classic controller. In fact, if more games had classic controller options, i wouldnt want a wii, as it would mean more and more ps2 ports or games that simply dont use the wii motion well enough to make it the primary play.

its like analog vs dpad. when games started going analog no one bitched because they couldnt control in both analog and dpad on every game because it worked better. if you dont like it stay with a system that has your "dpad" or in this case a regualr controller. GCs are cheap, pick one up.

i don't and have not listened to Stern so I'm not too familiar with what he does other than the occasional news story, he's on satellite, somthing I probably will never have in my vehicle.

But yes, if he ran a contest for a product that the name of said product could be made into something that could kill someone, i would probably not buy that product either. And regardless of how stupid you think it is, you cannot honestly tell me that had Nintendo named their machine something other than Wii, that these kids mother would still be alive, what if it had happened to you?

But as far as I'm aware, nobody had died by "playing for a playstation" or "boxing for an xbox" or "walking for a walkman" etc etc. And nothing will ever change my mind regarding the name Wii, completely and totally retarded name for anything.

Sorry, gang, for rising to the bait of the sig.

Last thing I'll say:

I don't have satellite either. Stern did the shtick when he was on regular radio.

Other stations run these contests from time to time, or did before the tragedy, and the prize doesn't always make a cute pun on a word for piss. If Wii hadn't been the most sought-after, hard-to-get system at the time, the contest would have been for that. (PS3 was as hard to get, but not as sought after by children.) So I can "honestly tell you that had Nintendo named their machine something other than Wii" that woman would likely still be just as dead. It's unfortunate and rather evil, but the villain here is the radio station, not Nintendo. (And the radio station wasn't evil evil; this was more about humiliation and an incomplete understanding of human anatomy than murder.)

So quit playing the goddamn "Won't somebody think of the CHILDREN????" card for a name you're just not sensitive enough to modern culture and marketing to understand. (hint: when your username is that of 25 year old american gaming system, maybe you're not quite the core demographic.)

Wii is the products name, it's going to stay the name, the system seems poised to be a significant hit this generation, you'd generate less stupid threads if you weren't trolling like this in your .sig.

soooo because nintendo had nothing to do with a retarded gameshow a radio station did, that was so bad that they were fired for it, and someone was dumb enough to enter the contest and died, the name is stupid. so if they sealed you in a box with no air for an xbox, or made you walk for a walkman across the sahara desert... which both would kill you, they should change the name of the product because someone made up a stupid word play on the name of the prize? It amazes me that there are people that think like this here. I hope the position in whatever company you work for in real life isn't greatly influential as I'm afraid you'd mess up a country that is already seriously hurting in education.

um.. if you dont like wii controls why did you get a wii then? the reason why motorstorm has both is because the motion control is a half thought out idea because they didnt dive into it fully like the Wii did. therefore both options are just as accessable in thier minds. if you make a game that needs the wii controller, becuase shock, you designed it for the wii, it shoudlnt NEED a classic controller.

What is half thought out about Motorstorm motion controls? You tilt left to turn left, tilt right to turn right, analog triggers for gas and brake....is there more? I have not played Excitetruck, are the controls different? Motorstorm controls ok with the motion controls, but I like having the option to use the analog stick. Why is that a bad thing?

In fact, if more games had classic controller options, i wouldnt want a wii, as it would mean more and more ps2 ports or games that simply dont use the wii motion well enough to make it the primary play.

Most games for the Wii already use the classic controller. All the VC games I have bought use the classic controller, maybe some of them don't. The VC probably makes up half (or more) of the Wii game library roughly wouldn't you say? I am sure you will correct me if I am wrong. Maybe you don't buy those because they do not use motion controls. Your loss.

its like analog vs dpad. when games started going analog no one bitched because they couldnt control in both analog and dpad on every game because it worked better. if you dont like it stay with a system that has your "dpad" or in this case a regualr controller. GCs are cheap, pick one up.

I bought a Wii because I wanted one. I also have a Gamecube too. I think it would be smart to have more choice for the gamer. Some games, like Bowling, are better because of the motion controls. I wouldn't even consider buying a Bowling game for the 360 or PS3 if there was a Wii version that used the motion controls. I do not see how including a classic controller option would make the game less fun though. After all, you could choose not to use that option. Thanks for the advice on the cheap Gamecube though!

the controller was half thought out not the game's controlls..

im saying since the controller is not fully regualr or fully motion control its more nature to have an optino for both, where as the wii has jumped to full motion control. in order to show its worthy, having a option for classic control each time would hurt its image.