IGNORED

Future of nintendo systems

Personally I think Nintendo will try to revisit and perfect the Mindlink. :ponder:

All kidding aside, I see Nintendo sticking around for one more console generation, at least. For the Wii, I see that within the next year or so, various third-party companies are going to learn how to better implement the Wii's remote for Wii games. But I also feel like for those games that just don't work well with motion control, I see games coming out that will utilize the Classic Controller exclusively.

As for the DS, I see the DS's popularity continuing in its current trend. The PSP hasn't seemed to sway DS sales one way or another (nor has DS sales swayed PSP sales that I can see). And I figure in another year, we'll have the announcement of the DS's successor. The following year, it will be released. What it will feature is still very much in the air, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if some earlier comments aren't right in that it will most certainly have some form of motion control.

I've been wondering what Nintendo will come up with next. They've certainly made the next step hard for themselves, having innovated SO much with this one.

I'd guess the next home console would have more advanced haptic controls, though still along the basic idea of the Wiimote. Anyone's guess. No-one predicted their move this gen. (on handheld or home console) and I'd love to be in on their development meetings. I bet it's like Wonka's Chocolate Factory in there.

As for Nintendo leaving the hardware market. No way. They've found their niche now, Nintendo are the gaming version of Apple - a unique synchronicity of hardware and software. They're in the game for good now - and I wouldn't have said that 2 years ago.

One thing. The Gameboy is NEVER COMING BACK. Just to clarify :)

do you know how much profit they are making per console? I would bet you that it isn't as much as you think.

Actually, last time I heard, Nintendo makes a pretty tidy profit from every gamecube they sold - even when they were sold at $100. I imagine they haven't changed their policy much for the Wii.

As a matter of fact, isn't Nintendo the only console manufacturer that makes money on their consoles instead of selling it at a loss? While I agree that there is lots of money in software, I think you don't realize just how smart Nintendo is playing the game...

Why do people think Nintendo selling consoles for profit is a good thing? If I were a Nintendo stockholder, sure I would like that. As a consumer I would prefer that they sell thier systems at a loss, as I would be getting more value for my money. I would have much rather paid $250 and had HD capabilities, a reasonable amount of internal memory, DVD player capabilities, etc.

People may be happy when Nintendo makes money on every Wii they sell, but I would rather get $500 dollars worth of hardware for $400, rather than $150 worth for $250. Thats just me though.

The future of Nintendo systems?

I will be curious to see if they keep the motion controls, or move back to a more traditional setup and maybe limited motion controls. After playing with the Wii for a couple months, I am not conviced that motion controls should be used on all games.

Which is why not all games should use the motion control system. the wii is perfectly capable of incorporating a more traditional control interface, whether you use the GCN pad, the Classic Controller, or the wiimote and nunchuck. All three options allow for joystick and button only gameplay.

Why do people think Nintendo selling consoles for profit is a good thing? If I were a Nintendo stockholder, sure I would like that. As a consumer I would prefer that they sell thier systems at a loss, as I would be getting more value for my money. I would have much rather paid $250 and had HD capabilities, a reasonable amount of internal memory, DVD player capabilities, etc.

People may be happy when Nintendo makes money on every Wii they sell, but I would rather get $500 dollars worth of hardware for $400, rather than $150 worth for $250. Thats just me though.

:ponder:

When did anyone here claim to be happy about it? We're all just pointing out how stupid it is to asume they'd stop selling something they were making money on.

As well, selling at a loss doesn't seem to benefit the consumer. It seems once you decide to sell at a loss you start throwing stuff in and work out a kind of unofficial agreement with the consumer that they'll pay for some of that stuff and you'll pay for some of it, but both of you are certaonly going to pay a lot. The 360 hadled this pretty good, and are selling at much less of a loss than Sony. Sony went right to Hell with it, and decided the consumer could stand to pay a whole ass load of money to make up their end.

Actually, I wouldn't mind Nintendo selling the Wii at a loss, and charging me say $100 for a $150 console. :P But that is right though, once a developer desides to sell at a loss, they tend to go overboard with it. (Sony, I'm looking at you at the moment)

Actually, not everything worn was a total flop. 3Dfx tinkered with 3D glasses for a while. While the glasses weren't that popular, 3Dfx, in death, still has a cult like following.

NVidia and many other manufacturers experimented with those glasses as well. They're called "shutter-glasses" and work by allowing only one eye to see the current frame. In theory, stereoscopic vision can be achieved by multiplexing the screen to show 30 frames to one eye, and 30 frames to the other eye.

The reality is a bit less spectacular, however. I have a pair, and the only stereoscopic effect they achieved was the great 3D look as they went flying into the closet. :P

Shutter-glasses can work, but they have to be so carefully calibrated to each user and monitor setup that they just aren't practical. I think you'd see cheap VR helmets using modern, inexpensive LCDs long before you saw the resurgence of shutter-glasses.

Actually, shutter style glasses worked really good, with little work from my experiance (only a couple computer games, but the Vectrix(which admitedly worked differently), and SMS both were awesome, just to bad the 3D games were useually subpar over all.

With current technology, I see no reason not to have a game run at a lower resolution so it can push the monitor up to 120hz or so, and let the glasses run at that speed, you'd end up with a perfectly smooth 60hz image that way, and very few people can see it flicker at that rate. Still, I'd prefer a true VR helmet, VB or Jag VR style myself.

Personally I think Nintendo will try to revisit and perfect the Mindlink. :ponder:

Heck yeah. "Hey kids, you want a new Mind link? All you gotta do, is go to the hospital, get a hole drilled in your head, and have a bunch of wires stuck in your brain, for the low price of 100,000 dollars (and the offchance that you'll be crippled for life)" I'd buy it :P Ok...no I wouldn't.

Serioulsy, I think the next step up for Motion sensing gameplay, is either..

A) leg attachements, which would let you use your legs as part of the controllin the game.

B) An arm attachement, that is smart enough to register where your hand/arm is in relation to each other and that would let you have a lot more precision in a game over just a simple hand controll.

C) a giant trackball. Hollow of course, that you can get into, wear a VR helmet, and use the leg and arm attachements with it to run, jump and roll in any direction, for a true VR experiance (till someone makes an actual hollodeck startrek style)

Serioulsy, I think the next step up for Motion sensing gameplay, is either..

A) leg attachements, which would let you use your legs as part of the controllin the game.

B) An arm attachement, that is smart enough to register where your hand/arm is in relation to each other and that would let you have a lot more precision in a game over just a simple hand controll.

C) a giant trackball. Hollow of course, that you can get into, wear a VR helmet, and use the leg and arm attachements with it to run, jump and roll in any direction, for a true VR experiance (till someone makes an actual hollodeck startrek style)

or D) a giant hamster wheel for Super Monkey Ball hahaha. :)

Nintendo will go the way of Sega and just be a software publisher next generation.

Right, because they aren't selling enough Wii's to warrant yet another console.

yep. they arent selling enough wiis..where i work people are always buying 360s and ps3 s..and we always have the wii sitting on the shelf..

a customer told me this last night and he has a point " ..if you had a choice of purchasing a xbox 360 or a ps3 with their awesome games and graphics etc then you look at the wii.. with its so so graphics and strange controller(thats what customers call it).. what would you choose? " its like choosing between a ford mustang and the ford pinto.. theres no contest ! you pony up the controller is unique ill give it that but these motion controllers arent that new of an idea..

personally for nex gen systems have the xbox 360 and the ps3 and they are incredible my brother has a wii. and after playing it for a few hours i was saying this is it? it was a letdown i know ill get slammed here but i think nintendo dropped the ball with this one... they could have done so much better..

the wii sold well when it was released because, it was cheaper , and it was an alternative for people who couldnt afford a ps3 or a 360 or couldnt find one in time for christmas...i remember we had 10 wiis left over on christmas eve alone and 2 returned after christmas with the customers asking to be notified when we get more 360s and ps3s in stock it makes you think.. is Nintendo losing its thunder in the home console wars? ...i think so.. i have friends that are hard core nintendo fans and they all laugh at the wii and all say the same thing..its a kiddle system it cant compete with sony and microsoft..

my five year old nephew even said the wii is childish guess what he wants ? a ps3 (smart choice) i asked him why? he said the systems have more power and better games.. pure and simple.. he got his yesterday for his birthday and he loves it...so if a child can see the faults with the wii..why cant the adults gamers?

ill admit id like to see the new metroid for the wii and a star wars game with lightsaber action, but thats about it

but in fairness the gba sp and the ds (which i love) are still selling really well..so nintendo is doing something right..at least in the handheld market.

as for Nintendo making abother console..id like to see something better than the wii..something to truly compete with sony and microsoft not just offering a funky controller thats the real gimmick of the wii even the nintendo fanboys have to admit this.. as for me.. when i play Nintendo...ill stick to my nes, snes, n64 and gamecube...i enjoy these systems a thousand times better than the wii and i know im not alone...

if your going to argue..do it smart and not just say ps3+ 360s suck etc..

Nintendo will go the way of Sega and just be a software publisher next generation.

yep. they arent selling enough wiis..where i work people are always buying 360s and ps3 s..and we always have the wii sitting on the shelf..

Yep, you're right; they aren't selling enough Wiis. All the confirmed reports of massive shortages and huge sales, as well as Sony's concurrent massive layoffs and firing the head of the PS3 division, certainly says a lot less than how things are going at your one tiny exception to the rule. Where do you work by the way? Chavingtons?

Yep, you're right; they aren't selling enough Wiis. All the confirmed reports of massive shortages and huge sales, as well as Sony's concurrent massive layoffs and firing the head of the PS3 division, certainly says a lot less than how things are going at your one tiny exception to the rule. Where do you work by the way? Chavingtons?

Target electronics dept asst manager chicago

my brother works at best buy and he says the same thing...the 360 and ps3 are dominating sales now..(then again im not surprised)

Edited by darklord1977

They are all selling well, fanboys just don't want to believe it. :D

I think that is debatable as far as the PS3 goes. You don't fire tons of your employees and follow it up by firing the most well known personality in your division when sales are at expected levels.

Now, that doesn't mean a lot, as the SNES also started out similarly and did really well in the end. Still, I think saying it is currently doing well is giving credit where it isn't due.

I think that is debatable as far as the PS3 goes. You don't fire tons of your employees and follow it up by firing the most well known personality in your division when sales are at expected levels.

The layoffs in Europe had nothing to do with the PS3, AFAIK it has to do with the dwindeling software on the PS2. Why keep hundreds of employees in the PS2 division, doing nothing?

Target electronics dept asst manager chicago

my brother works at best buy and he says the same thing...the 360 and ps3 are dominating sales now..(then again im not surprised)

Right, and let me guess. The PSP's are also dominating sales as well. :roll: Are you sure you are not confusing the PS3 with the PS2. :ponder:

The layoffs in Europe had nothing to do with the PS3, AFAIK it has to do with the dwindeling software on the PS2. Why keep hundreds of employees in the PS2 division, doing nothing?

Ken Kutaragi was in Europe?!? :-o

Ken Kutaragi was in Europe?!? :-o

Kutaragi resigned, because he was demoted a while back, had nothing to do with the layoffs. :?

Kutaragi resigned, because he was demoted a while back, had nothing to do with the layoffs. :?

Come on CPU, you know what a "resignation" like that means at the executive level. As Atarifever said,

"follow it up by firing the most well known personality in your division"

The PS3 is not doing well. It's selling worse than the Gameboy Advance, and is at the bottom of NPD's sales numbers. (Right ahead of the discontinued Gamecube.) The only thing keeping Sony gaming division floating at the moment is the incredible sales of the PS2. Which isn't to say that the fortunes of the PS3 won't change in the future, but RIGHT HERE, RIGHT NOW, the PS3 is selling very poorly.

Since such claims are specious in a vacuum, here are the March NPD numbers to back me up:

Nintendo DS: 508K

Sony PlayStation 2: 280K

Nintendo Wii: 259K (2.1 million total)

Microsoft Xbox 360: 199K (5.3 million total)

Sony PSP: 180k

Nintendo Game Boy Advance: 148K

Sony PlayStation 3: 130K (1.2 million total)

Nintendo Gamecube: 22K

Microsoft Xbox: N/A

In Japan, things are even worse. Media Create reports that the Wii is outselling the PS3 7:1. The only good news is in Europe where the PS3 hit the ground running by selling over 600,000 units off the bat. (Obviously meeting pent-up demand.)

Now we know that you're a Sony fanboy, CPU. You take EVERY opportunity to tell us. (And I do mean EVERY. Especially through your abundant overuse of the term "fanboy" in an attempt to project on others.) But get some friggin' perspective, will you? The PS3 is not doing as well as was expected. The 360 is doing well here in the States (bully for 360 fans! :D), but not so well in Japan. Meanwhile, Nintendo screwed up by being unable to meet the demand in any market.

As for Darklord's suggestion that the Wii is selling poorly at his store, I call BS. I live in Chicago. I just called the local Target to ask if they had any Wiis in stock. They told me that they would be getting more tomorrow, but that I have to get there early and stand in line. (Which was what I had to do when I got my Wii a few months ago.) If his store truly still has Wiis, then they're not actually selling them to the customers. Because there is nowhere else in Chicago that you can stroll into the store and get one.

Then you must be the only place in america with them, if recent stories are true . . . if you do have them, you should buy me one and ship it out to me- I'd pay $300 for the system.

I see the next Big N console to have 360\PS3 grpahics with a motion controller like the Wii but with something new to make it, well "new" all over agian. Nintendo new controller is a good thing, don't fuck with a good thing I say. I've totally fallen in love with how the Wiimote works and controls about 90 percent of the games out so far. The only exception I find personally is Red Steel. The controls suck money balls. If it had controls more like Zelda the game would have been a million times better. But ya anyhow, Gamecube 3.0 will be a 360 with a better Wiimote.