IGNORED

Future of nintendo systems

Unless Nintendo gets very brave, then they won't go after the high-end market again. That arena has become a side-business for larger companies that can afford dumping tactics on a scale which pure game companies can't compete with. Microsoft didn't mind risking huge losses on the XBox while getting themselves established, and Sony doesn't mind losing money on the PS3 to establish Blu-Ray. If Blu-Ray catches on and the entire PS3 generation never turns a profit, Sony will still be happy. Nintendo is the only remaining console maker that actually needs to make consistent money on video games. They also don't have the manufacturing/distribution assets of Sony or the development assets of Microsoft. Nintendo just isn't big enough to compete at the high end anymore, so they'll stay at a more practical distance from it.

Unless Nintendo gets very brave, then they won't go after the high-end market again. That arena has become a side-business for larger companies that can afford dumping tactics on a scale which pure game companies can't compete with. Microsoft didn't mind risking huge losses on the XBox while getting themselves established, and Sony doesn't mind losing money on the PS3 to establish Blu-Ray. If Blu-Ray catches on and the entire PS3 generation never turns a profit, Sony will still be happy. Nintendo is the only remaining console maker that actually needs to make consistent money on video games. They also don't have the manufacturing/distribution assets of Sony or the development assets of Microsoft. Nintendo just isn't big enough to compete at the high end anymore, so they'll stay at a more practical distance from it.

great post i totally agree with you on this.. Nintendo is slipping they really cant compete with sony and microsoft... face it Nintendo isnt the big fish in the pond anymore and it shows ...if they want to get back their thunder..they should have released a system that could actually compete with the higher end systems ...instead we got the wii (shudders)

great post i totally agree with you on this.. Nintendo is slipping they really cant compete with sony and microsoft... face it Nintendo isnt the big fish in the pond anymore and it shows ...if they want to get back their thunder..they should have released a system that could actually compete with the higher end systems ...instead we got the wii (shudders)

Okay, either I missed the point of that post or you did. I thought he was saying Nintendo has to stick to their new niche (avoiding the high end grpahics/processing power batle) if they want to remain a profitable and viable company, as they can't afford to go that route. You seem to be reading it to say Nintendo released a terrible system and should have tried to make a more powerful one. The way I'm reading it, it's like saying a company should just make lap tops, witout chasing the high end gaming rig computer market. That doesn't mean they release shitty computers, just a different kind of computer.

I do think the next Nintendo console will output in HD. By the time Nintendo is ready for it's next console, HDTV will pretty much be the norm. And HD hardware will have really gone down in price. But then again Sony/MS might be making equipment that outputs 1440p or more to take full advantage of future PC monitors. Hell, I think some PC graphics cards can already do that.

Okay, either I missed the point of that post or you did. I thought he was saying Nintendo has to stick to their new niche (avoiding the high end grpahics/processing power batle) if they want to remain a profitable and viable company, as they can't afford to go that route. You seem to be reading it to say Nintendo released a terrible system and should have tried to make a more powerful one. The way I'm reading it, it's like saying a company should just make lap tops, witout chasing the high end gaming rig computer market. That doesn't mean they release shitty computers, just a different kind of computer.

yes, Nintendo did release a lack luster system it could have been much better .. this is my opinion on the wii..end of story i mean come on can you actually say that the wii is better than the 360 or ps3? lets be honest. and no i didnt miss anything

Nintendo will go the way of Sega and just be a software publisher next generation.

Right, because they aren't selling enough Wii's to warrant yet another console.

yep. they arent selling enough wiis..where i work people are always buying 360s and ps3 s..and we always have the wii sitting on the shelf..

a customer told me this last night and he has a point " ..if you had a choice of purchasing a xbox 360 or a ps3 with their awesome games and graphics etc then you look at the wii.. with its so so graphics and strange controller(thats what customers call it).. what would you choose? " its like choosing between a ford mustang and the ford pinto.. theres no contest ! you pony up the controller is unique ill give it that but these motion controllers arent that new of an idea..

personally for nex gen systems have the xbox 360 and the ps3 and they are incredible my brother has a wii. and after playing it for a few hours i was saying this is it? it was a letdown i know ill get slammed here but i think nintendo dropped the ball with this one... they could have done so much better..

the wii sold well when it was released because, it was cheaper , and it was an alternative for people who couldnt afford a ps3 or a 360 or couldnt find one in time for christmas...i remember we had 10 wiis left over on christmas eve alone and 2 returned after christmas with the customers asking to be notified when we get more 360s and ps3s in stock it makes you think.. is Nintendo losing its thunder in the home console wars? ...i think so.. i have friends that are hard core nintendo fans and they all laugh at the wii and all say the same thing..its a kiddle system it cant compete with sony and microsoft..

if your going to argue..do it smart and not just say ps3+ 360s suck etc..

Snore.

If you had Wii's piled up around christmas...you should have bought them all and put them on ebay. You'd be rich. However, no one could find one around then, so you must have been the luckiest person on the planet.

As far as the lame old argument about "kiddie system," "strange controllers," and "the graphics suck"...well, that's been done to death. I'm not going to re hash the argument again...except to say, that if you really love video games, then you play them all...including ones with nontraditional controllers and less than next gen graphics...because they are fun. The Wii is a fun system. It could use some more games, but I'm sure that will come.

Oh, and FYI, the 360 doesn't suck, it's the best next gen system out there. I play the hell out of mine. Way more than my Wii ;)

Jury is still out on the PS3. Great hardware, but its too soon to tell.

Since you don't like the Wii, have fun not posting in the Wii forum :)

Nintendo is slipping they really cant compete with sony and microsoft... face it Nintendo isnt the big fish in the pond anymore and it shows .

Haha! Just what?! Nintendo is selling games systems to people who would never have even considered buying a games system before. DS will outsell every other console ever made, unless the world sudenly ends. They don't need to compete in this pond with Ms and Sony, they're in the freaking sea now. Gotta widen your perspective a little I think.

Don't get me wrong, this isn't fanboy talk. I'm no Nintendo fan, but they've broken into markets that the others didn't dare to. The brave deserve the fair, so to speak.

Personally I think Nintendo will try to revisit and perfect the Mindlink. :ponder:

Followup: I didn't plan it this way, but check this out. Looks like I wasn't too far off the mark. :o

Although it's not Nintendo's innovation, they might possibly use something like this next time if the technology's there and developed enough for gaming.

yes, Nintendo did release a lack luster system it could have been much better .. this is my opinion on the wii..end of story i mean come on can you actually say that the wii is better than the 360 or ps3? lets be honest. and no i didnt miss anything

i like how when i say something like this about the ps3 on thier forums we all get blocked and our posts deleted, but hell... the admins just let people like you rag all you want here in Wii land :roll:

Everyone's entitled to their opinion, but that doesn't make it fact. My opinion, is yes, I feel the Wii is better than the PS3 or 360 (but really, the DS is better than them all, IMO). Why? I don't have a lot of time in life for games. I like playing with my girlfriend and other friends. And I can't see myself paying more than 300 dollars to pay an additional 60 bucks to play a game that will be played for a week and then sit and collect dust.

PS: woah, I just now noticed the new chat software. CONFUSED!

i like how when i say something like this about the ps3 on thier forums we all get blocked and our posts deleted, but hell... the admins just let people like you rag all you want here in Wii land :roll:

Not entirely true. I just deleted darklord1977's last post in this thread because he was trolling. If you feel that someone is trolling in the Wii forum just PM about it and I'll take care of it.

Not entirely true. I just deleted darklord1977's last post in this thread because he was trolling. If you feel that someone is trolling in the Wii forum just PM about it and I'll take care of it.

thank you , seriously. i contacted cpuwiz about it, but ill PM you next time. Thanks for the help.

Unless Nintendo gets very brave, then they won't go after the high-end market again. Nintendo just isn't big enough to compete at the high end anymore, so they'll stay at a more practical distance from it.

While logically sound, I think this would be a dangerous precedent for Nintendo. There are not, IMO, enough gimmicky innovations that are practical for gaming yet. Don't get the flames out here, because I only meant gimmicky in the sense of non-mainstream, not in a negative, flash-in-the-pan sort of way. Nintendo really hit the mark on attracting a wider audience with the Wii (but will have to work hard to keep that audience interested), but did so by being the first company to really make a concerted effort to put out a polished version of existing tech, both with the Wii and DS. That in itself by such a mainstream company is commendable. However, there are very few other things that could be incorporated into a low-cost machine that will appeal to both a wider audience and a significant amount of traditional gamers.

If we're lucky, the Wii and DS will inspire all manufacturers to take a much closer look at the interface between us and our games, because, although I love better and better graphics, I really want gaming that is more than just pushing buttons and/or waving my arms, and competition is what will push the envelope faster.

well, recently confirmed for 07 in japan is metroid prime 3, wii health and music, Project HAMMER, disaster day of crisis, smash bros, etc. considering metroid always comes out here first, that will be 07 for sure, and id bet the others will make it before christmas as well, especially smash bros. those games already are enough to combat against 360's Halo and other games coming out soon. so i think it has plenty to combat agaist the "other guys" while still offering games like Wii health and wii music for the people who got hooked on sports, who like the simpler stuff.

im pretty excited about the rest of this year. Hammer is a game i wanted back in the fall when it was said to be a launch tittle in E3. i have to say , this is the first time i got a system at launch that didnt feel like a waist. the DS had a pretty bad first year, and i honeslty wondered why i even had it at that point. Looks like the Wii isnt repeating history, good for them. It is kinda sad though that the ps3 is being outsold by the damn game boy advance.. ah well, sooner for it to plumit in price for me to pick up for 200 bucks :)

ah well, sooner for it to plumit in price for me to pick up for 200 bucks :)

Well....that might leave you with something like a seven year wait, but i'm sure you're in no hurry anyway. :)

[soapbox]Really, i'm not sure what's with all the animosity and competition amongst us, who are just FANS of video games. It's not like we make money on each system sold, and it's not like any of the big three are going to fold up and die anytime soon, no matter what various naysayers might think. While i really prefer the 360 in this generation (so far), i also own a Wii. And i'd really like to own a PS3 as soon as i can swing it. Because, at the end of the day, nobody cares about one's percieved "loyalty" to a corporation, nobody is impressed or won over with this attitude. I feel it's all about enjoying as many games as you can, to keep a current and informed opinion as opposed to fanboy rants and doomsday prophecies.

Regardless of any other arguments, the future of video games depends on all corners of the market staying viable and competetive with each other. If Microsoft and Sony suddenly folded, Nintendo fans would have a field day until they found themselves still playing the same exact console fifteen years down the road. The NES spawned the Genesis, which pushed the SNES to greatness, which gave birth to the Playstation, and so on down the line. If people could just settle down for two seconds and look at things from this perspective, they could take all the time they spend on heated and insulting internet rants, and focus it on actually enjoying games instead of using them as ammunition in some futile battle.[/soapbox]

ah well, sooner for it to plumit in price for me to pick up for 200 bucks :)

Well....that might leave you with something like a seven year wait, but i'm sure you're in no hurry anyway. :)

[soapbox]Really, i'm not sure what's with all the animosity and competition amongst us, who are just FANS of video games. It's not like we make money on each system sold, and it's not like any of the big three are going to fold up and die anytime soon, no matter what various naysayers might think. While i really prefer the 360 in this generation (so far), i also own a Wii. And i'd really like to own a PS3 as soon as i can swing it. Because, at the end of the day, nobody cares about one's percieved "loyalty" to a corporation, nobody is impressed or won over with this attitude. I feel it's all about enjoying as many games as you can, to keep a current and informed opinion as opposed to fanboy rants and doomsday prophecies.

Regardless of any other arguments, the future of video games depends on all corners of the market staying viable and competetive with each other. If Microsoft and Sony suddenly folded, Nintendo fans would have a field day until they found themselves still playing the same exact console fifteen years down the road. The NES spawned the Genesis, which pushed the SNES to greatness, which gave birth to the Playstation, and so on down the line. If people could just settle down for two seconds and look at things from this perspective, they could take all the time they spend on heated and insulting internet rants, and focus it on actually enjoying games instead of using them as ammunition in some futile battle.[/soapbox]

That was a good post.

As far as it goes, I don't want any of the three console makers out of the market. However, I want to see Sony drop ther huge lead because there currently isn't a healthy market. Nintendo still turned a big profit last generation, but their install base was the smallest it has ever been last generation, and if it continued to shrink, they'd be at risk of having to leave the console market eventualy. Microsoft barely outsold third place, even though they lost something lke $4 billion just to acomplish that. First place Sony more than doubled the sales of both compeditors put together. Last generation was not the healthy console market that is necessary to keep all three players in the game. It's kind of like the SMS and Atari 7800 vs. the NES. Sure, neither company dropped out of the market, but two of those companies couldn't have pushed the other if they'd tried, because Nintendo didn't need to care about them. As a result, Nintendo got away with having the most unreliable console in the history of gaming. They also got away with business practices that actually purposely limited our gaming choices. I just don't like to see one company totally dominating, as I don't think it leads to a healthy market overall. Imagine, for example, where online gaming would have been pushed this generation by everyone if Microsoft had made a real charge at Sony last gen. (selling say 45 million, and taking the 20 million extra away from Sony) Every system would have Live right now.

Edited by Atarifever

i wouldnt call the nes the most unrelable system in history. we didnt need to blow on carts on my nes till the late 90's... and its not like anything ever really broke inside it unlikes the ps2 slims, which im on my third one now U.U

anywho, yea, that is a good post. im really sick and tired of people so quick to wish companies that are important to the industry to death. not to mention wishing the people behind those companies out of work. as far as nintendo goes, they are the last of the console makers that came from the older generations. youd think we would want to charish the last former arcade game maker out thier in thier pursuit to bring us console games. sega is gone.. atari is gone.. this is all we got left. theres a difference too between me going to a ps3 forum and saying its too expensive right now, but id like one in the future, than someone coming here and saying they played a wii for 20 minutes and makes about a dozen posts argueing with people who have had it for months saying its a piece of crap and desearves to die. in fact, i find it hard that people , fans of sony or not, would support such people as your supporting a shallow and narrow minded view of the industry. Its funny, i thought that after leaving middle school 8 years ago, id finally be able to leave the whole "sega sucks they should die" type attitude, but im starting to see that maybe these kids simply learned thier advanced way of thinking from thier parents.

i really hope the ps3 drops price soon for thier sake and mine. and for the love of god, hurry up and make kingdom hearts 3.. im waiting.

Edited by AtariJr

I want Sega and Atari back in the console market, and i wish i could write this text on a brandnew Amiga instead of a shetty Windows PC laptop.

I guess, i am just a grumpy old geezer, but hey, at least i got a brandnew Wii, and i like it.. :ahoy:

i wouldnt call the nes the most unrelable system in history. we didnt need to blow on carts on my nes till the late 90's... and its not like anything ever really broke inside it unlikes the ps2 slims, which im on my third one now U.U

anywho, yea, that is a good post. im really sick and tired of people so quick to wish companies that are important to the industry to death. not to mention wishing the people behind those companies out of work. as far as nintendo goes, they are the last of the console makers that came from the older generations. youd think we would want to charish the last former arcade game maker out thier in thier pursuit to bring us console games. sega is gone.. atari is gone.. this is all we got left. theres a difference too between me going to a ps3 forum and saying its too expensive right now, but id like one in the future, than someone coming here and saying they played a wii for 20 minutes and makes about a dozen posts argueing with people who have had it for months saying its a piece of crap and desearves to die. in fact, i find it hard that people , fans of sony or not, would support such people as your supporting a shallow and narrow minded view of the industry. Its funny, i thought that after leaving middle school 8 years ago, id finally be able to leave the whole "sega sucks they should die" type attitude, but im starting to see that maybe these kids simply learned thier advanced way of thinking from thier parents.

i really hope the ps3 drops price soon for thier sake and mine. and for the love of god, hurry up and make kingdom hearts 3.. im waiting.

Actually, I'd wait and see what happens to KH3. Considering the way things are going in Japan, KH3 could very well end up on the Wii. :)

I want Sega and Atari back in the console market, and i wish i could write this text on a brandnew Amiga instead of a shetty Windows PC laptop.

I guess, i am just a grumpy old geezer, but hey, at least i got a brandnew Wii, and i like it.. :ahoy:

yep, i also agree it would be great if sega and atari came back onto the market.

yep, i also agree it would be great if sega and atari came back onto the market.

The only way that would be possible is if the megacorps decide to drop out of it. Nintendo was the strongest of the old game companies, but even they have a hard time dealing with the weight of Sony and Microsoft.

The only way that would be possible is if the megacorps decide to drop out of it. Nintendo was the strongest of the old game companies, but even they have a hard time dealing with the weight of Sony and Microsoft.

They can come back if they keep it small and stay out of the real conole business. I believe the Falshback 2 was a kind of comeback from Atari (I'm not arguing again today if it were successful or not). It was a boxed system that required real shelf space (not a little peg board), had an adaptor (no batteries), came with two controllers, and sold for a pretty steep price by Plug and Play standards. It could also easily be modded into a real 2600, and took 2600 perpehrials. Thus, it is an entry into the hardware market, albiet not anywhere near the same marketspace Sony, Nintendo, and MS are competing in. I think, and I am again not arguing about the situation with the FB2, that Atari could become the go to company for plug and play, maybe even releasing versions of the FB system with licence holders like Activision (say a FB with 25 or so Activision and Imagic games).

I've been wondering if Sega could release a Neo Geo type system. Could they settle on their arcade hardware for a few years (like the Atomiswave) and consolize it and release the games and system for the higher end crowd like Neo Geo did? There has to be at least some small money in there doesn't there? And now TVs ca even support HD games. I mean, SNK certainly supported the Neo Geo for a long enough time to make it likely the idea wasn't completely without merit. I know I'd buy it, and give up on every other system to support the habit if need be. ike I said, I'm sure it wouldn't turn big money, but isn't it possible it could turn some?

...its just a dream we know it wont happen though... yep nintendo is having a hard time competing with sony and microsoft.