IGNORED

OH Maria!

8bitdomain

This is the latest project from 8bitdomain, a 2600&7800 adapter for the Atari 5200.

Prototype tested & completed, board with same feature set of a standard 7800.

You will need to supply a few parts from a standard 5200 VCS adapter and a 7800.

It has on board circuitry for Svideo, Composite Video and 2 channel audio identical

to the 8bitdomain A/V mods so it will work with BOTH 2port & 4port 5200's.

The main reason for posting this is I want to add some additional features and would

like some feedback from this forum on what features you would like added.

Some features under consideration are:

--Built in Hi score capability for 7800 games

--Atari 7800 devcart capability w/serial download

--Other ideas???

I would like to keep the price as low as possible so I don't

want to make it like a Cuttle Cart. That's already been done

so what features would you like?

post-4311-1177815004_thumb.jpg

If I remember correctly, the AV mod I installed a while back on my 4-port (the 8bitdomain AV mod), while a magnificent product, does not carry the AV signals when using the VCS adapter. In other words, if I am using the VCS adapter on the 5200, I still must use the RF adapter to get the signal to the TV.

Will this still be the case for the new 7800 adapter? Or did your statement about the compatibility with the 5200 AV mod mean that the new 7800 adapter *will* play through the AV mod? If so, will 2600 games also play thorugh the mod, with the new adapter?

Thanks,

Steve

--Other ideas???

You should set up a pole for this.

I like the Built in Hi score capability for 7800 games and the Atari 7800 devcart capability w/serial downloads.

How about xboard compatibility (or just on-board ram and a Pokey.)

:love:

Allan

Edited by Allan

If I remember correctly, the AV mod I installed a while back on my 4-port (the 8bitdomain AV mod), while a magnificent product, does not carry the AV signals when using the VCS adapter. In other words, if I am using the VCS adapter on the 5200, I still must use the RF adapter to get the signal to the TV.

Will this still be the case for the new 7800 adapter? Or did your statement about the compatibility with the 5200 AV mod mean that the new 7800 adapter *will* play through the AV mod? If so, will 2600 games also play thorugh the mod, with the new adapter?

Thanks,

Steve

There are several options available.

First would be to combine the composite video & audio and pass this through the 5200 cartridge port and into the RF modulator just like the origional VCS adapter. This has the obvious disadvantage of returning to crapy RF video, although this approach does not require any external cables.

Second, modify the 5200 cartridge port to pass through the Svideo & audio signals. Nah! too much work and not

really any extra pins anyway.

Third, handle all A/V switching externally to the 5200 and the 7800 adapter. Please see attached PDF file for the

proposed autoswitching.

Fourth, some other way I haven't thought of yet or any suggestions?

Intercon1.pdf

Sweet - auto high score would be a plus for 7800. This would actually put the 5200 ahead of my 7800 in terms of being out to play :)

Will you be able to use 2600 sticks for 2600/7800 games?

How will these be made since you need an existing 2600 converter?

Last question - will a cuttle cart 2 work in this thing for those of us that have one ;)

Sweet - auto high score would be a plus for 7800. This would actually put the 5200 ahead of my 7800 in terms of being out to play :)

Will you be able to use 2600 sticks for 2600/7800 games?

How will these be made since you need an existing 2600 converter?

Last question - will a cuttle cart 2 work in this thing for those of us that have one ;)

1. It is just like a standard 7800 so it will use both types of controllers.

2. By Hi-score I mean compatiable with the 7800 Hi-score cart which only

works with some 7800 games.

3. Yes, I see no reason that it would not work with the Cuttle Cart.

Mike

Will it support the Kroko Cart? I would think not since it doesn't work properly on a real 7800.

I am not familiar with the Kroko Cart compatability issues with the 7800, however if anyone

in this forum can describe the issues then perhaps I can devise a fix.

Mike

--Other ideas???

I like the Built in Hi score capability for 7800 games and the Atari 7800 devcart capability w/serial downloads.

Allan

Poll.

This is the latest project from 8bitdomain, a 2600&7800 adapter for the Atari 5200.

What would be needed for a stand-alone 7800 that isn't needed for the "adapter"? A 7800 in a portable form factor could be nice, but I'm not sure I quite see the purpose of "adapters" unless they can make good use of the underlying system.

--Other ideas???

Allan

Poll.

Yea, I knew I was spelling it wrong but my three-year-old was calling me. I hate to post mis-spelled words. Argg!

Allan

Will it support the Kroko Cart? I would think not since it doesn't work properly on a real 7800.

I am not familiar with the Kroko Cart compatability issues with the 7800, however if anyone

Mike

There are two different sorts of compatibility issues. There are certain 7800 consoles that have an

additional chip on the board that pulls down the adress lines in the middle of the cycle. That does

confuse the Krokodile Cartridges RAM timing. This issue does only exist on some PAL consoles and

I think very few NTSC consoles (if any). On such consoles, the Krokodile Cartridge does still work

with standard ROMs, but it does not work with extra RAM schemes or schemes that depend on the

databus content (like 3F tigervision).

The second issue does only affect the multicart mode of the Krokodile Cartridge. The startup Code

of the 7800 OS does access the Krokodile Cartridges Multicart Hotspot and immediately switches to

one of the games. Maybe I can fix this in a later Krokodile Commander revision, but I am not 100%

sure.

I have not heard of any other issues. Please note that the problem is actually that the 7800 is not

fully compatible to the 2600, because a lot of crap happens on the bus, before a 2600 game is

actually started. The Krokodile Cartridge is currently a "2600 only" device :)

Mike

The second issue does only affect the multicart mode of the Krokodile Cartridge. The startup Code

of the 7800 OS does access the Krokodile Cartridges Multicart Hotspot and immediately switches to

one of the games. Maybe I can fix this in a later Krokodile Commander revision, but I am not 100%

sure.

Holy crap. If you fixed that, you'd be my hero!

:)

• 4 weeks later...