IGNORED

1200XL Owners Club (serial tracker)

kheller2

10 minutes ago, hueyjones70 said:

Has anyone ever tried using alcohol to loosen the adhesive?

I'd waive off on the alcohol when you are around those dark carbon traces in-between the mylar and white silicon spacer.  If you're not carful, the alcohol will dissolve the carbon trace and it will run (bleed).  If you're taking about what to do to make the mylar/spacer peel off the PCB easier, someone suggested using a hair dryer to heat it up making it pliable and it might stick less.  I only use the alcohol to clean the traces on the PCB only.  I have cleaned the contact pads on mylar (black little circles) being very carful to just dab a Q-tip with a little 91% Isopropyl to clean.  Just dab lightly, don't scrub like an eraser.  If it doesn't evaporate within seconds, you're using too much.

1 hour ago, hueyjones70 said:

Has anyone ever tried using alcohol to loosen the adhesive?

Alcohol is not good at removing adhesive.  WD-40 is, as well as some citrus based cleaners like GooGone, but with both, there can be adverse reactions with certain plastics.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just got my second 1200XL.  Numbers are:

72R DA 18149 223

IMG_0383.thumb.jpg.650c43fafaf5b27b3c1a719eac34f3ae.jpg

Motherboard has stickers reading "DA 213 Rev. A" on the top, with "May 20 1983" on the underside.

The machine looks to be stock, but someone has definitely been in here before as the RF shields were missing.  Keyboard needs a mylar, but I knew that going into it.  Loaded from an (externally-powered) FujiNet just fine and I was able to play Montezuma's Revenge without issue.  Picture (at least via the monitor jack) is surprisingly good.  Will dig into it further when I have access to a mylar and my regular panoply of tools :-D

Many thanks to the AtariAge member from whom I obtained the system.  This one will be the stock / reference model; the one I already have will be the one that gets more modifications than just the UAV and 74F08 currently in it.

• 1 month later...

Oh wow, i never noticed this thread before.  I have 5 1200XL systems I believe.   I will have to dig them up and find the serials.  I know I have 2 or 3 easily accessible .   

The 1200xl is still to me one of the best looking ever full-production computers.   

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, kheller2 said:

We are up to 561 units now.  This is great!

(But sad when you consider there are probably 110,250 Units and this brings us to 0.5% registered)

Pretty sure both of mine are already added (I know I did one at least).  Wonder how many have been tossed over the years because the keyboard stopped working... which is a fairly easy fix.

• Like 1

Here is mine:

20220106_175040.thumb.jpg.459cc00c0218c372adfe8abcd922d176.jpg

Love the look of the 1200XL as well as the feel of its keyboard (when it works).  I did most of my gaming and other activity on my 800XL (that I still have), but I just love the design and quirkiness of the 1200XL.  Paid $25 for it along with a 1050 and 1030, all working perfectly, and tons of software back in 2001 and I thought I overpaid.  I miss those days!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Brockmd said:

Did Atari plan on using a different OS?

36ACB5CE-3EC7-424C-BFFE-9A46B5E2ABDD.jpeg

For some reason Atari designed the 1200XL motherboard to be able to accept either 24 or 28 pin OS chips.  The choice is controlled by the "zero ohm" resistor/jumpers W6-W9 and W11-W13.  The 24 pin configuration (pictured) has W6-W9 with zero ohm jumpers and W11-W13 are open.  To utilize a 28 pin EPROM, you configure to the opposite (W6-W9 open and W11-W13 with zero ohm jumpers).  I have no idea what Atari had been thinking for future growth, only speculation.  Back to your original question, yes, there was an updated version of the OS (Rev 11) that fixed many incompatibility issues, but it also used 24 pin ROMs.  The shipped version (Rev 10) was included with all production versions.  Most motherboards I've seen have 24 pin sockets, but there were a good number released with 28 pin sockets like yours.  

The fact that Atari went ahead and produced many Rev 11 ROMs makes me wonder was it just a natural "cut-in" they would implement in future production, which never happened, or was it to serve as a "recall" type fix.  No one knows.  It's easy to distinguish which version you have:

1)  CO60616A and CO60617A are Rev 10 and CO60616B and CO60617B are Rev 11

2)  At boot up, the Rev 11 ATARI splash screen has the little trademark (R) next to the "I" in Atari that Rev 10 lacks

post-27335-0-36384200-1344044581_thumb.jpg

By replacing Rev 10 with Rev 11, you essentially fix most compatibility issues and end up with an OS that is +99% similar to the 600/800XL OS.  It is highly recommended.  Best Electronics sells the Rev 11 ROMs.  If you have access to an EPROM burner, you could burn Rev 11 or even the 600/800XL OS on 28 pin 2764 EPROMs and configure the W6-W13 jumpers to accept 28 pin EPROMs.

P.S.  When I refer to "compatibility", I mean with respect to the 600/800XL.  Both Rev 10 and 11 have the same original 400/800 OSb issues.  Funny how back in the day, the 1200XL was not compatible with OSb, but today with so many more XL and XEs in the world, the 400/800 OSb is now considered the one with compatibility problems.

Edited by ACML

21 hours ago, ACML said:

The fact that Atari went ahead and produced many Rev 11 ROMs makes me wonder was it just a natural "cut-in" they would implement in future production, which never happened, or was it to serve as a "recall" type fix.

What do you mean by "many"? Is there any data on how many Rev. 11 ROMs were made?

Rev. 11 definitely served as a recall fix - see Tech Tip 18A in the Atari 1200XL Field Service Manual.

21 hours ago, ACML said:

Both Rev 10 and 11 have the same original 400/800 OSb issues.

This is not strictly true. Rev. 11 OS contains changes done specifically to make it more compatible with the 400/800 OS.

5 hours ago, Kr0tki said:

What do you mean by "many"? Is there any data on how many Rev. 11 ROMs were made?

Rev. 11 definitely served as a recall fix - see Tech Tip 18A in the Atari 1200XL Field Service Manual.

This is not strictly true. Rev. 11 OS contains changes done specifically to make it more compatible with the 400/800 OS.

Best Electronics has many for sale.

Rev 11 appears to be the basis for the 600/800XL OS.  My recollection is that those titles that would not run on Rev 10, also had issues with Rev 11.  More compatible to me is more compatible with the XL/XE line.

On 2/9/2022 at 7:05 PM, ACML said:

Rev 11 appears to be the basis for the 600/800XL OS.  My recollection is that those titles that would not run on Rev 10, also had issues with Rev 11.  More compatible to me is more compatible with the XL/XE line.

To amend to this statement, I went back out of curiosity and found that Rev 11 still could not load 5 of the 6 OSb programs I had available.  I stand by my opinion that Rev 11 still has most of the OSb incompatibilities as the original Rev 10 OS.  The Rev 11 improvements solved other problems and appears to serve as the baseline for the 600/800XL OS when they added support for the PBI and ditched the ATARI splash logo.  I actually run the 600/800XL in my 1200XLs.  Atari left all the 1200XL advanced keyboard (F1-F4) and LED (L1 & L2) functionality in the 600/800XL OS so you get 100% XL compatibility with no lose of 1200XL specific function.

• 1 month later...
21 hours ago, Beeblebrox said:

My latest A8, a 1200XL in fantastic condition all the way from the States, (ergo currently NTSC). Will be PAL soon enough.

Serial 72R DA 13829 213:

image.png.b34775b0536e6342e8d2e5d9de774439.png

More info here

image.thumb.png.196e4ae274e6cd59cee357c58e9ca9bb.png

@BrianUsher  hey... Looking at your 1200's serial number it looks ours were on the same product line, with yours At 13834 and mine at 13829 ? (maan I am such a nerd!!) 

• Like 1