IGNORED

HELP! Information on Red Sea Crossing?

nagn2

Well, here is my take on this. Let me state upfront that obviously my thoughts are going to be biased as I have the cartridge, I am just looking for some feedback on my thoughts.

If Steve considered this obsolete technology and couldn't understand why anybody has any interest in this, why would he have kept them, moved them from San Diego to Florida and stored them for 25 years. I can't imagine he sold a large number back then by only advertising them in the back of religious magazines...not exactly a great venue for selling Atari cartridges. If he did keep them for a while after he tried to sell them I tihink at some point he would have figured it was a failure and the technology was obsolete and disposed of them. I can't imagine a guy like this would have kept them and stored them for 25 years if he thinks so little about them.

Of course this is what I would like to believe what happened but would appreciate any thoughts on this. Of course only time will tell.

Well, here is my take on this. Let me state upfront that obviously my thoughts are going to be biased as I have the cartridge, I am just looking for some feedback on my thoughts.

If Steve considered this obsolete technology and couldn't understand why anybody has any interest in this, why would he have kept them, moved them from San Diego to Florida and stored them for 25 years. I can't imagine he sold a large number back then by only advertising them in the back of religious magazines...not exactly a great venue for selling Atari cartridges. If he did keep them for a while after he tried to sell them I tihink at some point he would have figured it was a failure and the technology was obsolete and disposed of them. I can't imagine a guy like this would have kept them and stored them for 25 years if he thinks so little about them.

Of course this is what I would like to believe what happened but would appreciate any thoughts on this. Of course only time will tell.

A very, very good point. Being the cynical guy I am I could leap to conclusions but I wont. I doubt there will be any kind of half decent answer to this apart from the fact he forgot about them but Hell, lets see what others believe ;)

If you are going to qoute me then do so correctly. I am not upset about what he does or doesn't do, all I said was this has not been played right from the start. It doesn't smell right and his answers are either totally vague or he constantly contradicts himself. He might float one on Ebay to test the water, he may begin a production run if enough money is thrown at him and yet in another breath he laughs at the fact anyone is interested in what he terms as obsolete technology. C'mon wake up and smell the damn coffee. Had this been handled differently then yes I would have probably purchased one through Atariage or where ever but not now. I am just not interested and it has nothing to do with being upset about what he does from this point on ;)

The things you are saying happened in totally different parts of the conversation and in a totally different order than I told them to you.

I spoke to the programmer, you didn't...so please stop running your mouth off and making assumptions. You're making a complete fool of yourself.

If Steve considered this obsolete technology and couldn't understand why anybody has any interest in this, why would he have kept them, moved them from San Diego to Florida and stored them for 25 years.

I have no idea...why did Irwin Gaines from CommaVid keep the stock of unsold CommaVid games in his basement for 20 years?

Additionally...nothing is confirmed. I never said Steve has anything, nor did he...I'm trying to persuade him to look. He may or may not have anything. Let's please wait and see what happens.

Too bad Steve doesn't seem interested in the historical value of his own game and giving more Atari 2600 fans the change to enjoy his game.

The ironic fact is that he can probably make more money now with his game than he could ever make back in 1983.

Not really a good nose for business I would say, but then again: he most probably considers this whole 'money-making' business as nickle and dime stuff not worth paying attention to.

Now this:

Nagn2 won't dump it, but is willing to sell it (hopefully to someone who is willing to dump it).

My question now is: who is willing to buy it from Nagn2 for a lot of money now he/she knows that perhaps more of these are hidden away in Steve's attic?

Anyone?

8)

Edited by Rom Hunter

You would think someone who was a programmer in 1983 would also be a techie geek. Usually, techie geeks love the old tech as much as Atari collectors. You wouldn't think someone like that would brush off his own work as "obsolete technology."

Programming is an art form. If I were a painter, I would be flattered if someone found an "obsolete" painting I did about 25 years ago, and wanted to ask me about it. Even if it was a flop in it's day. Actually, I would be even more flattered that at least one person was interested in it, if it was a flop in it's day.

You would think someone who was a programmer in 1983 would also be a techie geek. Usually, techie geeks love the old tech as much as Atari collectors. You wouldn't think someone like that would brush off his own work as "obsolete technology."

Programming is an art form. If I were a painter, I would be flattered if someone found an "obsolete" painting I did about 25 years ago, and wanted to ask me about it. Even if it was a flop in it's day. Actually, I would be even more flattered that at least one person was interested in it, if it was a flop in it's day.

Since he has no interest in his own work is that not a sign that it is a poor effort at a game? Somethin along the lines of the crap Quaker Oats was peddling as video games back in the day?

WP

Since he has no interest in his own work is that not a sign that it is a poor effort at a game? Somethin along the lines of the crap Quaker Oats was peddling as video games back in the day?

WP

Steve alluded to the fact that he didn't think it was very good...one reason why he couldn't understand why people would be interested in it. Go figure. ;)

Edited by PingvinBlueJeans

I spoke to the programmer...

I don't mean to bring anything up here, but weren't Albert and nagn2 the only people who

were to handle this? :ponder:

Still, I personally, believe it. The evidence is almost completely pointing towards real. Take

for example, that if said game were a fake, "Steve" wouldn't have so gracefully pointed out

that he had a few hundred lying around in storage, thus keeping the price of the cart high.

Either that or this hoax had some terrible planning in the story department. :D

Could be, but Steve needs to realize that this doesn't really matter for the community.

The AirWorld proto is most probably one of the most unplayable pieces of video game history, but if it ever pops up it will make the finder a much happier and richer person.

8)

Edited by Rom Hunter

sorry, i'm not buying all this!

i still think it's a modern day release!

nice try nagn2!

Rick

You know, I think I agree with you Rick. I've gone back and forth on the fence on this game, but the more I hear (especially the programmers most recent response) the more I doubt this is legit. The screenshots got me exited, but now ... I dunno. Here's what doesn't add up:

The label. Regardless of what's been said, it looks like a homemade label printed on on *older* lower-resolution inkjet. The colors look exactly the same tone as my old apollo inkjet, especially the blacks and reds. The edges of the labels are white, like the label was prionted on regular paper. With all due respect, a lot of the 'it couldn't be printed at home' arguments sound just like those used to support all manner of outlandinsh stuff like bigfoot, roswell, and the like.

In addition to that, this whole thing with the programmer strikes me as very weird. He's not interested in it at all, but saves 500 carts, and answers PAGES of questions. He doesn't want to be bothered with it, but is willing to sell them if the price is right. The big alarm flag, though, is that he doesn't want it dumped. If he 'doesn't care' about 'obsolete technology', why would he care if someone dumped the rom for a machine he supposedly has no interest in? I don't buy the intellectual property excuse. It just sounds like a cheap way to avoid examining the guts of what is probably a newly burned eprom.

Look at it this way. This entire story is designed to make money. Rare, unknown cart materialized out of thin air by a new poster. The label conveniently prints the contact number of the programmer, and looks like a home job. Programmer acts interested at first, and claims to have a bunch of carts in his garage, then asks that it not be dumped, and that he will only release carts for cash. These 'spare' carts are conveniently new and in storage, which will easily explain the 'new' look of any carts released to the community (if that was ever really the intention). Now, the conversational tone changes, and the guy backs the hell off, leaving ... exactly one cart up for grabs to the highest bidder, with the caveat that it's probably the only one we'll ever see.

Uh huh.

I wanted to believe, but if it looks like a scam, and it smells like a scam, well, it might just be one.

That's my two cents. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think so at this point. You never know though :)

Edited by Lord Thag

I spoke to the programmer...

I don't mean to bring anything up here, but weren't Albert and nagn2 the only people who

were to handle this? :ponder:

Given the fact that I haven't seen Albert post here and that nagn2 himself posted this morning asking if anyone had any more info, they're not exactly "handling" it are they?

Besides, all that half of the people here have done so far is give nagn2 shit about this and doubt him. I made a good faith effort to get more info and all I've gotten so far is more shit and more doubt. The next time I have info about something I'll keep it to myself, rest assured.

The ball is in Steve Schustack's court...if he wants to make an effort to locate any unsold cartridges he may have, that's his business. If Albert wants to buy these unsold cartridges and/or make arrangements to make more, that's his business. I never intended to get any more involved in this and I'm not going to.

sorry, i'm not buying all this! i still think it's a modern day release! nice try nagn2! Rick
Rick...come on. Honestly... :roll: If I had to make a wager, I'd bet you're going to have a nice big shitburger to eat very soon! :D

i wold rather ME eating a shitbuger for being wrong then someone like wonder007 eating one for paying out $$$$ for a fake product!

speaking of betting how about you buy it? :P LOL

Rick

A couple observations:

- The 2600 is obsolete technology

- People move and store crap for many many years which has little or no actual or perceived value. Seems to be human nature

- The author being unwilling to make more carts for sale is understandable. Depends on the person and their situation. There's various projects I could do to make money too, but 99.999% of the time it isn't worth the effort.

- It's only a matter of time before A) the author gets fed up and ceases to communicate with the community as a whole and/or B) takes out a restraining order on one or more AA members

- Many of you are nuts

:P :lol:

I'm pretty sure it's real.

But if I'm wrong and it's a fake, whoever is fucking around with us is going to be exiled from this community for creating a ruckus "for shits and giggles" and possibly hunted down and beaten with a baseball bat signed by Nolan Bushnell.

Remember all that ruckus Atari Charles caused about the E.T. prototype....or when everyone thought Travi was crushed.

Given the fact that I haven't seen Albert post here and that nagn2 himself posted this morning asking if anyone had any more info, they're not exactly "handling" it are they?

Besides, all that half of the people here have done so far is give nagn2 shit about this and doubt him. I made a good faith effort to get more info and all I've gotten so far is more shit and more doubt. The next time I have info about something I'll keep it to myself, rest assured.

It's not that I think you've handled anything wrong, it's just that if we are to continue with this (if, of course, it exists) we have to do some planning and reach a consensus. I just think your move to immediatly go after things without having planned out with the community how you were to do it was kind of risky, though reasonably well handled, I guess.

The ball is in Steve Schustack's court...if he wants to make an effort to locate any unsold cartridges he may have, that's his business. If Albert wants to buy these unsold cartridges and/or make arrangements to make more, that's his business. I never intended to get any more involved in this and I'm not going to.

I second that. Let's just leave things as they are and if anything plays out, so be it. :)

sorry, i'm not buying all this! i still think it's a modern day release! nice try nagn2! Rick
Rick...come on. Honestly... :roll: If I had to make a wager, I'd bet you're going to have a nice big shitburger to eat very soon! :D

i wold rather ME eating a shitbuger for being wrong then someone like wonder007 eating one for paying out $$$$ for a fake product!

speaking of betting how about you buy it? :P LOL

Rick