IGNORED

HELP! Information on Red Sea Crossing?

nagn2

Given the passage of time and the fact we haven't heard or seen anything since, I'm 99 percent inclined to say it's either option 2 or 3.

Interesting theory.

Because we haven't heard or seen anything since, it's most probably a hoax or homebrew.

When was the last time you've heard of this one?

http://www.atarimania.com/detail_soft.php?MENU=2&VERSION_ID=19591

Or this one?

http://www.atarimania.com/detail_soft.php?MENU=2&VERSION_ID=20852

Or this one?

http://www.atarimania.com/lst_soft.php?MENU=2&TYPE_CODE=G&Page=1&SOFT_LIB=&EDITEUR_ID=3158&BOITE_ID=&FORMAT_ID=&REF=&VERSION_ANNEE=&PRG_ID=&PAYS_ID=&LICENCE_ID=&SFAMILLE_ID=&VERSION_CART_RARITY=&VERSION_K7_RARITY=&Step=100&VISU=TABLE&btn_sauver=Search

Not hoaxes at all.

8)

Yes but Rom the difference with these is that they have either been seen by reliable sources or are owned by reliable sources. THe guy who owns Red Sea Crossing refuses to offer any validation of the game and the owner claims he has a whole garage full of the things and because of this has made the so called owner promise never to release his copy and on top of that the owner has turned down some truly ridicolous sums of money to sell it. Doesn't make sense? ;)

Turn it around: why would this be a hoax?

It takes quite some skills to program it, to make it look old skool and to create a story like that around it.

And why on earth create a hoax about some Moses crossing the Red Sea?

Why not create a hoax that rings more bells, like AirWorld?

And what about this?

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/113497-help-information-on-red-sea-crossing/page__view__findpost__p__1373662

People then offer the owner a great amount of money and he refuses.

After that: endless silence and no ROM dump.

Not really a rewarding end for a hoax, is it?

It's way too easy to think this is a hoax.

8)

Edited by Rom Hunter
  • Like 2

Given the passage of time and the fact we haven't heard or seen anything since, I'm 99 percent inclined to say it's either option 2 or 3.

Interesting theory.

Because we haven't heard or seen anything since, it's most probably a hoax or homebrew.

When was the last time you've heard of this one?

http://www.atarimania.com/detail_soft.php?MENU=2&VERSION_ID=19591

Or this one?

http://www.atarimania.com/detail_soft.php?MENU=2&VERSION_ID=20852

Or this one?

http://www.atarimania.com/lst_soft.php?MENU=2&TYPE_CODE=G&Page=1&SOFT_LIB=&EDITEUR_ID=3158&BOITE_ID=&FORMAT_ID=&REF=&VERSION_ANNEE=&PRG_ID=&PAYS_ID=&LICENCE_ID=&SFAMILLE_ID=&VERSION_CART_RARITY=&VERSION_K7_RARITY=&Step=100&VISU=TABLE&btn_sauver=Search

Not hoaxes at all.

8)

Yes but Rom the difference with these is that they have either been seen by reliable sources or are owned by reliable sources. THe guy who owns Red Sea Crossing refuses to offer any validation of the game and the owner claims he has a whole garage full of the things and because of this has made the so called owner promise never to release his copy and on top of that the owner has turned down some truly ridicolous sums of money to sell it. Doesn't make sense? ;)

Turn it around: why would this be a hoax?

It takes quite some skills to program it, to make it look old skool and to create a story like that around it.

And why on earth create a hoax about some Moses crossing the Red Sea?

Why not create a hoax that rings more bells, like AirWorld?

And what about this?

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/113497-help-information-on-red-sea-crossing/page__view__findpost__p__1373662

People then offer the owner a great amount of money and he refuses.

After that: endless silence and no ROM dump.

Not really a rewarding end for a hoax, is it?

It's way too easy to think this is a hoax.

8)

Sorry Rom, have to disagree with you here.

Firstly, the owner was VERY keen on selling until ther was talk here about verifying the contents of the ROM and how it woulod be possible to verify whether it was 30 years old by looking at the programming techniques. Straight after that the owner went cold about selling. the seller is silent because he knows he'll get busted if he sellers. Its not a rewarding end to a hoax, but I don't think the seller was aware that he would get busted so easily when he put this hoax together.

Secondly, I would think it would be easier to create a new game as a hoax than to use Airworld.

Thirdly, Why do it? Easy, as the seller said, he saw an offer for $6k for Birthday Mania and thought he'd be getting similar offers. For $6k it would be worth an elaborate hoax. Remember that "Krypton" guy who was creating fake label variations ;)

Fourthly, if it were legit, the seller would have sold by now. by his own admission he is a reseller. Would Holygrailvideogames hold out for this long if he had this and it were legit? I think not. Not in a MILLION years. He would have sold years ago.

I'm Sorry Dino, but I'm not convinced.

I still believe this is a legit card.

IMO there are simply more signs pointing towards the real thing.

And if it turns out to be a hoax after all, hats off to the creator for having so much VCS programming and label printing knowledge and such an excellent eye for detail and originality.

8)

Edited by Rom Hunter

And if it turns out to be a hoax after all, hats off to the creator for having so much VCS programming experience and label printing know how and such an excellent eye for detail and originality.

8)

I'm not suprised with anything these days. As the price of Atari items increases, it seems to attract mre elaborate scammers... We may find out one day whether its legit or not, but at I only go by CONFIRMED titles, so in my books this card is irrelevant.

I'm not suprised with anything these days. As the price of Atari items increases, it seems to attract mre elaborate scammers... We may find out one day whether its legit or not, but at I only go by CONFIRMED titles, so in my books this card is irrelevant.

Just like Birthday Mania?

http://www.atarimania.com/detail_soft.php?MENU=2&VERSION_ID=18568

The fact is: there's less information known about that one, yet nobody doubts it's legit:

http://www.atariage.com/software_page.html?SoftwareLabelID=2805

8)

Edited by Rom Hunter

I have read the better portion of this thread. I think until this cart actually gets in the hands of one of the many Atari historians on this site that we should all think of it as a being a genuine copy. Just because this guy/gal hasn't dumped the rom doesn't mean its a fake. With all the nay-sayers on here and the large offers of cash for this cart, my bet is he is a bit scared that if he lets anyone see it they will rip him off. Just from a historical stand point I think we shouldn't accuse it of being a fake or hoax until it can be factually confirmed by someone like rom-hunter who has done alot of work in keeping the history of Atari alive for all of us to enjoy.

Just my 0.02$

Sorry, extraordinary claims require at minimum reasonable proof. Until reasonable proof is presented beyond some mediocre photos, it has to be considered a hoax, plain and simple. All this talk of the guy "getting scared" and all that just sound preposterous to me. I would even find it more believable if it was even someone with some kind of public track record, but it's not. Too many holes means one thing to me, fake.

You know what though, no matter what any of us believes, until this actually resurfaces again - if ever - it really doesn't matter what we think of the situation, though, does it? The FACT is, this thing DOESN'T exist at this point to ANYONE else outside of the owner/hoaxer.

And if it turns out to be a hoax after all, hats off to the creator for having so much VCS programming and label printing knowledge and such an excellent eye for detail and originality.

8)

Rom your one main flaw is that you are far too damn trusting. You have ben caught out before and you went out on a limb only to proved wrong. yOu are using the logic of too much time and effort but as other people have pointed out there are people out there who will pay stupid amounts for one off games. People who fake art or who make faberge eggs spend an obsecne amount of time and effort to make their fakes look like the real deals so why not for a game? Atari Charles pretended that he had a prototype so why is it inconcievable that someone with greater skill could pull of a fake? All other one offs are one off but the programmer claimed he had a whole shed load of these things but could not be bothered to dig them out and make 50 dollars a game legitemetly? As I said before it does not make any sense but feel fre to disagree ;)

Rom your one main flaw is that you are far too damn trusting.

I don't consider that as a flaw.

You have ben caught out before and you went out on a limb only to proved wrong.

Happened only once (I didn't see a good close-up of that one, as you probably remember) and I was the first one to apologize for that.

On the other hand: in more than one case my believe in so called non-existing carts was rewarded by the discovery of their true existence.

All other one offs are one off but the programmer claimed he had a whole shed load of these things but could not be bothered to dig them out and make 50 dollars a game legitemetly?

That doesn't make this one a fake.

As I said before: my compliments to the creator if it turns out to be a fake.

But in the meantime: let someone proof it truly is one.

8)

Edited by Rom Hunter
  • Like 2

I have not disappeared! I actual took the game to a show in Columbus, Oh on Sept. 12th. It turned out to be a really small show with only about 7 dealers. No one there had ever heard of the game so it was pretty much a wasted trip. I would love to bring it to a show and let people see it but I can't find one close enough.

• Like 3

Rom your one main flaw is that you are far too damn trusting.

I don't consider that as a flaw.

Neither do I old friend but it leaves you wide open to an attack from Shawn SR :D Seriously I would love to be proved wrong but the odl daying is "THat it aint going to happen!" ;)

I have not disappeared! I actual took the game to a show in Columbus, Oh on Sept. 12th. It turned out to be a really small show with only about 7 dealers. No one there had ever heard of the game so it was pretty much a wasted trip. I would love to bring it to a show and let people see it but I can't find one close enough.

THere are a dozen well trusted people on this site who you could show it too or provide you with the means to dump a sample to give to Tempest or Nukey Shay to name a couple who could actually authenticate whether the rom is real or not? You must have been inundated with offers of help. I find it hard to believe that none of them could be of service? ;)

So what are you doing with this cart now? Are you selling it, or keeping it forever? The story kind of disappeared when you disappeared.

So what are you doing with this cart now? Are you selling it, or keeping it forever? The story kind of disappeared when you disappeared.

I would like to sell it.

• Like 2

There are a dozen well trusted people on this site who you could show it too or provide you with the means to dump a sample to give to Tempest or Nukey Shay to name a couple who could actually authenticate whether the rom is real or not?

You probably alreay know my opinion. Dump it and post it for download. If the thing is genuine, he still has a unique item (and this matter can be put to rest). If it's not, he'll have leads on where it may have originated (and this matter can be put to rest). As it stands, he's got nothing (worth nothing)...so IMO there's nothing to lose.

I'd be the wrong person to recognise if such an item was genuine, tho. There are others around here that can recognise coding style...I'm not one of them.

OK well this guy needs to think up a money number cause I am now willing to buy it. Dude come up with the crazy ass price you want to get out of it and let me know so I can pony the cash to get it out of your hands and into mine.

I would like to sell it.

So why haven't you taken up Shawn Sr's open offer to buy from OVER A YEAR AGO? ;)

In Ohio, you can throw a rock and pretty much hit an Atari collector. Seriously, this state is bursting at the seams with Atari-lovin' folk. I was already down in Ada on 9/12, I would have kept going to Columbus to take a look at this cart. Lots of people here would definitely meet you halfway (literally and figuratively) to address the issue of this game.